Paradox

    • This is one of the biggest problems I have with the game.

      The majority of other games the goal is either pve bosses or competing in pvp. So you level your character up to make him stronger. Train your weapons up to make them stronger. Farm for better equipment or craft better equipment to be stronger. Then you venture out in your shiny new toys to take on big bosses in dungeons or real people in pvp. It's the natural progression.

      So I have been following that template in AO. Finally, got my bow to level 70 for ray of light root. All my gear to T7. After the effort I'm now ready for pvp? Not so fast. First thing? Put all my shiny near gear and leveled weapon into the bank. T4 gear is all I'm supposed to use because everyone says I will die a lot and only wear what you can afford to use. Bow? Forget about it. T4 bow doesn't have ray of light, the skill I worked so hard to get. Not only that, bow doesn't have the mobility of a dagger like bloodletter.

      So I'm going to head out to pvp with under leveled gear. A weapon that I haven't even used before. To what end? I hear the fame is much better in dungeons. I guess that will help level my dagger which I'm really not interested in leveling. The rest of my gear? Sure, it will level more but it stays at T4.

      It just seems very counterintuitive ?( .
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

      This is one of the biggest problems I have with the game.

      The majority of other games the goal is either pve bosses or competing in pvp. So you level your character up to make him stronger. Train your weapons up to make them stronger. Farm for better equipment or craft better equipment to be stronger. Then you venture out in your shiny new toys to take on big bosses in dungeons or real people in pvp. It's the natural progression.

      So I have been following that template in AO. Finally, got my bow to level 70 for ray of light root. All my gear to T7. After the effort I'm now ready for pvp? Not so fast. First thing? Put all my shiny near gear and leveled weapon into the bank. T4 gear is all I'm supposed to use because everyone says I will die a lot and only wear what you can afford to use. Bow? Forget about it. T4 bow doesn't have ray of light, the skill I worked so hard to get. Not only that, bow doesn't have the mobility of a dagger like bloodletter.

      So I'm going to head out to pvp with under leveled gear. A weapon that I haven't even used before. To what end? I hear the fame is much better in dungeons. I guess that will help level my dagger which I'm really not interested in leveling. The rest of my gear? Sure, it will level more but it stays at T4.

      It just seems very counterintuitive ?( .
      You need to start playing AO like it is AO. You should also join a guild. Most of your problems are of the "I am new and have no idea what I am doing." variety. You are really punishing yourself if you try to solve all of those problems on your own. Find a new player friendly guild (with a large(ish)) player pool. Get access to dozens of players with years of experience playing the game.

      Don't stunt your growth by insisting on doing everything yourself. Reinventing the wheel 100s of times. You can always leave the guild later and roam the waste lands of AO solo, stronger and fiercer than before.
    • Piddle wrote:

      sandstorm22 wrote:

      This is one of the biggest problems I have with the game.

      The majority of other games the goal is either pve bosses or competing in pvp. So you level your character up to make him stronger. Train your weapons up to make them stronger. Farm for better equipment or craft better equipment to be stronger. Then you venture out in your shiny new toys to take on big bosses in dungeons or real people in pvp. It's the natural progression.

      So I have been following that template in AO. Finally, got my bow to level 70 for ray of light root. All my gear to T7. After the effort I'm now ready for pvp? Not so fast. First thing? Put all my shiny near gear and leveled weapon into the bank. T4 gear is all I'm supposed to use because everyone says I will die a lot and only wear what you can afford to use. Bow? Forget about it. T4 bow doesn't have ray of light, the skill I worked so hard to get. Not only that, bow doesn't have the mobility of a dagger like bloodletter.

      So I'm going to head out to pvp with under leveled gear. A weapon that I haven't even used before. To what end? I hear the fame is much better in dungeons. I guess that will help level my dagger which I'm really not interested in leveling. The rest of my gear? Sure, it will level more but it stays at T4.

      It just seems very counterintuitive ?( .
      You need to start playing AO like it is AO. You should also join a guild. Most of your problems are of the "I am new and have no idea what I am doing." variety. You are really punishing yourself if you try to solve all of those problems on your own. Find a new player friendly guild (with a large(ish)) player pool. Get access to dozens of players with years of experience playing the game.
      Don't stunt your growth by insisting on doing everything yourself. Reinventing the wheel 100s of times. You can always leave the guild later and roam the waste lands of AO solo, stronger and fiercer than before.
      How does being in a guild invalidate my post?
      I'm not even sure what this means? "You need to start playing AO like it is AO" I thought there was no specific way to play AO, since it's supposed to be a Sandbox game?

      I have been in 3 guilds. Two were disasters that did nothing to improve my gameplay or increase my fun. Say hello to guild when logging on and get crickets in response. My 3rd guild was alright. A small setup where people actually talked. Leader left the game though so it folded.

      Yes the game is tougher solo. I want no part of the mega guild/alliance though. That seems like easy mode or cheat code activated. Gather in peace in T7 zones because big brother is looking out for you. What's the point in that?

      I will keep looking for a guild that's a good fit.

      I still find it weird that the rule of thumb is to wear trash T4 gear when you want to get involved in the BZ

      The post was edited 1 time, last by sandstorm22 ().

    • Termak wrote:

      You dont need to use T4, just use what you can afford to replace regularly.
      At first you should, can you afford buying 20-30 sets to have PvP for several hours?
      With high tier gear you look to get kills or fight several players with good chances for victory.
      In T4 you look to bash and get bashed, as for warbow, you don't need ray of light to pvp.
      Frost shot does great, Really Great and can teach you a lot about distance, kiting, worth of slow and mobility.
      Ray of light begin to shine once you have decent mastery level (above 50 for me) because damage is not high enough to kill quickly. In same time with frost shot you can kite several melee opponents and some weapons don't have a chance at all, it is one of the strongest utility abilities on weapons for solo pvp.
    • Vesen wrote:

      Termak wrote:

      You dont need to use T4, just use what you can afford to replace regularly.
      At first you should, can you afford buying 20-30 sets to have PvP for several hours?With high tier gear you look to get kills or fight several players with good chances for victory.
      In T4 you look to bash and get bashed, as for warbow, you don't need ray of light to pvp.
      Frost shot does great, Really Great and can teach you a lot about distance, kiting, worth of slow and mobility.
      Ray of light begin to shine once you have decent mastery level (above 50 for me) because damage is not high enough to kill quickly. In same time with frost shot you can kite several melee opponents and some weapons don't have a chance at all, it is one of the strongest utility abilities on weapons for solo pvp.
      Nice. That gives me hope. My bow is 70 but I think my mastery is maybe 10. Will have to raise that as you suggested. I will need to practice frost shot. Likely better in duels since you can't kite mobs without resetting fight. Just need to find a good duel spot. Bank area is poor.
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

      Nice. That gives me hope. My bow is 70 but I think my mastery is maybe 10. Will have to raise that as you suggested. I will need to practice frost shot. Likely better in duels since you can't kite mobs without resetting fight. Just need to find a good duel spot. Bank area is poor.
      I'd rather suggest going out in red zones and farming Sepulchre of Magic and static dungeons in Runnel Sink. Duels and arena will never give you that you can get from actual pvp.
      In first case it is open world decent fame and silver farming with high chances to get ganked aka get pvp (just keep an eye on the pk counter and switch to frost shot once you feel like someone is after you). Doing specters will pay for your gear and possibly premium, they drop ingredients used in potion crafting.
      Static solo dungeons can be used as well to farm fame and a bit of silver, just chain farm bosses, once relic boss spawns it can drop rare thingie to craft high tier artifacts. Pvp was good there, but it wad overused and pve dudes left for solo dungeons.
    • If you are low on money I would also suggest banking often when PvPing. It is easy to want to stay out and avoid the run back to bank but sure enough chances are you will at some point be zerged down. Better to secure that profit more often than not.
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

      I still find it weird that the rule of thumb is to wear trash T4 gear when you want to get involved in the BZ
      So, rules are not a system designed to bring about optimal results. They are more like guidelines intended to avert the most obvious of disasters.

      This rule of thumb is to stop newer players from labor locking themselves in the game. Where they are risking too much on each excursion, losing it and then are forced to spend more time doing activities, they may or may not enjoy, to enable them to re-gear again.

      You are free to take ANY gear you want out into the BZ. If you want to pay your re-gearing with your credit card. You can easily take better gear and just not care.

      Most players are looking to compete in a neutral to positive silver manner though. So you are taking cheap gear out, gear that one solo rd will pay for in just silver bags. Then, once your gear is paid for, everything else you earn while you are out in that gear is pure profit. Even if you die soon after gathering up 20-30 silver bags, you are still spending your time in order to earn fame. Which is fine because you will eventually use that fame to stay out in the OW a little longer.

      When you are playing AO solo, its more like a survival game, where you are investing X silver in gear. You take that investment out in the OW and your goal is to earn a return in fame and/or silver, for the investment.

      So the reason new players get told to take T4 gear out is that it's really hard NOT to earn enough to re-buy it. Like you find a few hidden treasures and pick up the money, Set paid for. Everything else is cream. Do a SRD and collect silver bags. Set paid for. You aren't stuck spending 2 hours gathering to fund each trip to the PvP areas.

      There are other paths available to you. This is just the one that most people find the easiest. You could, for instance, never leave town ever and earn huge amounts of silver. Then once you have so much money that it no longer even has any meaning to you, you can venture out into the OW and lose pretty much anything you want and not care at all.
    • @Piddle s post above is 100% spot on and is the best explanation of the "T4" mantra I've ever heard.

      Just to kind of add on since these go hand in hand, the other reason T4 (or any cheap gear) is important to take, is because as a newer player, you simply don't have the pvp experience. You don't know how to recognize death traps, you don't know how to counter builds, you don't know how to escape. You don't know practically anything, which isn't a bad thing, we were all there. But dying should be on your terms at best. If you die, and can't tell someone exactly how and why you died, you are still learning.

      Albion's combat is such a simple yet nuanced thing that requires lots of attention to detail, and a vast understanding of weapons, armor, skills, spec, IP, maps, and a whole list of other things to have your best chance at surviving. You'll still die of course. Guys out in 8.3 masterpiece in black can still die. But usually by that point they're either strong enough to win a fight, or smart enough to avoid a fight they can't win. That's the knowledge and skill you need, and that's why going out in T4 is so important. As Piddle said, if you immediately get killed after your final boss in a solo dungeon and got some pretty good loot and a few 10k silver bages, that stinks to lose it. But you get a chance to practice fighting, or escaping, or reading the signs and learning why and how you got ganked. Perhaps you didn't leave intro mobs. Perhaps you killed a terrorbird outside your SD entrance. Perhaps you weren't watching the hostile counter. Perhaps you forgot it's Friday and some arch shitters zerged you. Point is, you are going to die, and learn in the process. Your goal is to minimize your losses until you're smart enough and strong enough, to die less.
    • Generally what´s a good idea is to look for a guild that is doing fame farming - at least t7 or t8 dungeons, and you just fame your gear up. Now it´s good to get something that is versatile so you dont have to level up various builds to play various content.

      Running in t4.1 is absolutely viable, especially when you get some spec. And regarding ray of light - if you want that, just use t6 warbow and that´s it.

      I personally always loved running in 4.1 and i still do it. Why ? Because you learn how to play the game with that. Majority of deaths in this game will be caused because you didnt know about some mechanics of the game - learn and you wont die to them next time. And with 4.1 gear, you learn how to fight, rather than just having expensive gear to fight for you ( tho max spec makes your gear higher by three grades ( t4.1 as strong as t8 without any spec), but that´s not the point. 4.1 is great for experience, not to mention you can do lot of stupid stuff with that and suicide missions whenever u want, since after all - it´s just 4.1 :P

      Running in 4.1 is just fun : ) here some random pics i found from my kills in 4.1 :D





      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7