Mercy for Mercenary Jacket

• Mercy for Mercenary Jacket

Hi everyones

I don't know if someone already talked about this, but i didn't see any other thread on mercenary jacket in the first ten pages so i decided to open one.

Since I started playing Albion I used mercenary jacket: it's cheap, it's easy to craft and it always has had a good synergy with my main weapon (axes). Indeed, the more i was playing, i noticed that, in my humble opinion, mercenary jacket is actually very weak compared to others "sustain chest" i could run, that are mainly Hellion Jacket and Cultist Robe. So i want to show here my thought, and know if i could be right or i am missing something crucial.

First of all, how mercenary jacket works: upon activation, everytime you damage an enemy you receive a flat amount of health back, for up to 15 "hit" or, in case you don't reach it, 8 seconds. This mean you have a limitate amount of health you can gain back. If we look at Hellion jacket, things are very different: for up to 8 seconds, you summon an aura around you dealing damage and healing you the more is your missing health, plus increasing all your healing by 10%. This mean that you don't have a cap for your healing, until you don't stop being stick to your target. Plus, the more enemies you hit, the more you get healed, not like mercenary cause of healing limit cap (infact, if you hit multiple enemies with Bloodlust activated you will heal faster, because you get stacks in same time, but you will stop sooner because when you reach 15 stack effect ends). Let's now look at cultist robe: there are several others threats open about this item discussing if it is overpowered or not, so i will cut it just looking at the healing effect: a channeling ability that restore 4% of your hp and mana every 0,5 seconds up to 5 seconds. You can easly calculate that, even with a squishy build with 2100 hp, the total healing is way better (not considering the fact it recovers mana too and make you immune to physical damage). The point is: mercenary Bloodlust healing is very low compared to others options.
      Another thing that is very underrated is the fact that to heal with Bloodlust you need to actual hit your enemy (and that's why it synergies so well with DoT, because it allows you to get a couple of stacks even if your target is running away), instead with hellion or cultist you dont actually have to: Life Steal Aura is big enough to allow you to chase someone and get healed, and cultist robe is cultist robe. In poor words, is very simple to avoid Bloodlust heal simply by running away. In reality, the only gear people choose with mercenary are axes and Cursed, just because they can apply DoT. So my first question is: is this reason enough to keep Mercenary jacket healing so low?

Second point: coldown.
      If we keep comparing these 3 items, hellion jacket Life Steal Aura has 40 seconds coldown, cultist robe Levitate 45 seconds (after recent nerf, it was 30 before <X ). Mercenary Bloodlust has 60 seconds coldown, way more than the others 2. Then i got curios, and i checked all others chest pieces: the only others 2 that have this cooldown are Assassin jacket and Royal Robe. Mercenary jacket has the highest coldown in the game. So it comes my second question: does a spell designed for long skermishes (because of the heal on hit numbers and healing cap) deserves such a long coldown? And right after this, is it just because of the good (and only) synergy with DoT damage?

The third thing that mind me is that mercenary jacket has the lowest damage buff of chest pieces, 20%, compared to others jackets (stalker is the only one with same amount, i think cause of active spell). If it his designed for long fights, doesn't this lack of damage should be compensated with a bit more of tankyness (or directly make it at the same of others jackets)?

If i can dare, i would suggest a huge cd decreased (from 60 to 30 or at least 40 seconds) or, if we want to keep this long coldown, to increase the spell's duration to 10 seconds, removing the tick cap and making them healing for 3% of your maximum health instead of a flat amount. This could synergize well with the tankyness increased said before.

Thanks for reading and make me know what you think!
    • I'd second this, merc jacket has been my go-to since release due to the stats being balanced how I want them, along with the active being nice for a bruiser type character. I will say that it's probably a mistake to compare it to the Hellion and Cultist pieces, as those are both artifacts.

But, in regards to the merc ability, I'd rather have less possible ticks of the healing in exchange for the ticks being larger. Hitting 15 times in 8 seconds is a tough goal to reach for many weapons. Unless you're running a weapon with a dot, or very high attack speed, the 8 seconds will almost always end before you get the full use out of it. Alternatively, lowering the cooldown to around 40 seconds while capping the healing ticks at 10-12 might do the trick. The biggest issue seems to be a long cooldown and lackluster payout from it, fixing either portion of that would make a good difference.
    • as far as I know both Merc jacket and Assass jacket used to be widely used before they were nerfed to the ground and purges introduced... Or something like that. Assassin invis range is way too small to be useful anymore. But yea, they are not artifact armors. Being cheap I guess they are where they belong now...

So, my guess if you think cloth armor is good now, in a year they will be in same situation as leather is now and everyone is running in plates :D
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • Ravenar wrote:

as far as I know both Merc jacket and Assass jacket used to be widely used before they were nerfed to the ground and purges introduced... Or something like that. Assassin invis range is way too small to be useful anymore. But yea, they are not artifact armors. Being cheap I guess they are where they belong now...

So, my guess if you think cloth armor is good now, in a year they will be in same situation as leather is now and everyone is running in plates :D
      Dumping points into plate, got it :p
    • Mercenary jacket is definitely in need of some sort of love, in fact I think all the non-artifact leather is pretty weak overall.

Assassin jacket could really use a range indicator for it's stealth radius, as well as some damage adjustments. And how many hunter jackets you see out there? The most synergy it has with weapons is bows - and there's no bow that will use it over any cloth piece in basically any setting.
    • Eternalhaze wrote:

Mercenary jacket is definitely in need of some sort of love, in fact I think all the non-artifact leather is pretty weak overall.

Assassin jacket could really use a range indicator for it's stealth radius, as well as some damage adjustments. And how many hunter jackets you see out there? The most synergy it has with weapons is bows - and there's no bow that will use it over any cloth piece in basically any setting.
      hunter is actually not bad, the problem is AS cap which makes it useless
    • Kevrok wrote:

I will say that it's probably a mistake to compare it to the Hellion and Cultist pieces, as those are both artifacts.
      You're right, the problem is that are the only others sustain gear that exist in game: I don't expect mercenary to get at same power of these, but i tought it was a good point to start looking at some numbers.

Kevrok wrote:

But, in regards to the merc ability, I'd rather have less possible ticks of the healing in exchange for the ticks being larger. Hitting 15 times in 8 seconds is a tough goal to reach for many weapons. Unless you're running a weapon with a dot, or very high attack speed, the 8 seconds will almost always end before you get the full use out of it. Alternatively, lowering the cooldown to around 40 seconds while capping the healing ticks at 10-12 might do the trick. The biggest issue seems to be a long cooldown and lackluster payout from it, fixing either portion of that would make a good difference.

This is exaclty my point: low heal payback with too much cd. This is a pretty spicy alternative, if the ticks would be a percentage of your maximum health scaling on your item power (like the flat amount does right now) to push people in putting points in mercenary specs. It would be like:

40 sec cd
      For up to 8 seconds, every time you damage an enemy for up to 12 hit, you get healed for 4% of your maximum health (where marked percentage is calculated with 1000 item power)

I feel like this could be actually pretty balanced.