Current state of Gathering

• Retroman wrote:

Hey everyone, let's talk about Gathering

We have received a lot of negative feedback about the state of gathering since the launch of Queen.

But before we make any further changes, we would like to get a better idea of your thoughts and experience of gathering right now. It would be very helpful if you could reply by answering to the following questions:

1) How do you like the current state of gathering?
      2) Since Queen, what is the main difference in your gathering experience?
      3) From where do you start your gathering? (From an Outpost, a royal city, an outland city...?)
      4) Where do you gather? (What tier and what biome, deep in the outland center or on the royals)
      5) What tier of Gathering Gear do you use? And why this tier?
      6) What is your biggest gripe with the current situation?
      7) How did the resource change from Patch 5 impact your experience?
      The more detailed your response the more it helps us understand how to improve the situation for you.
      Cheers,
      Retro
      It's atrocious.

The update has resulted in a severe division in the game: Mega-alliance, versus the bottom 75% of the game population. Those in Mega-alliances have locked-down and locked-out small guilds, small alliances, and small group or solo players from the BZ. While in the BZ, a mega-alliance Tier 8 gatherer strip-mines entire zones by himself, with no risk of being ganked. If a ganker survives the onslaught from the Realm-gate, and actually makes it into the BZ, the gatherer can simply use a Hideout, Castle Outpost, Territory, War Camp bank, or the numerous safety-nets SBI provides mega-alliances, which makes them and the mega-alliance players essentially 'untouchable'.

The game is starkly divided between Rich (mega-alliance) and Poor (everybody else), with a division of Content as well. The small guilds and alliances cannot touch mega-alliances.
    • 1) How do you like the current state of gathering?
      I really dislike the small nodes, even with the recent change of spawning full.

I've experienced a significant drop in the quantity of resources including t5 and t6, but most noticeable is the reduction of t7 and t8 l

3) From where do you start your gathering? (From an Outpost, a royal city, an outland city...?)
      Typically start at the Blue Army hide outs.

4) Where do you gather? (What tier and what biome, deep in the outland center or on the royals)
      T7 or t8 zones around BA hide outs (Glacierfall, sunbaked)

I use t8 yo get the best bonuses and higher stats if i get ganked. My main tool is a sickle that I've upgraded to an Avaloian one to try to increase resource gain.

Spawn times are too long. The yield is not worth the effort.

Gathering has always been my favorite part of albion. The changes made me really dislike this activity and my in game playtime is significantly reduced because of the frustration with the yield of gathering.
      So Long and Thanks for all da fish!
    • 1: I feel gathering is no longer an enjoyable activity. With the decrease in larger nodes, gathering became far more tedious. Requiring so much more running around with fingers crossed. I feel the small t7/t8 nodes do not feel rewarding to players that have earned T7/T8 gathering.

2: Since Queen I have actually stopped gathering all together. Prior to Queen gathering was my primary form of gameplay, and the changes to it with Queen have removed any form of enjoyment from it for me. I am no longer feeling rewarded for the time and effort put into leveling my gathering spec. As with these smaller nodes constantly being 1/2 or 1/3. The bonuses from Spec is impossible to notice. Where as with larger nodes it is very easy to see, and feel.

3 & 4: I Gather all my T6+ mats from my guilds Hideout located in Deathwisp Bog + surrounding areas. Sometimes going 5+ zones out (if the area is too populated). I like to be primarily in zones that Offer T7 &(or) T8 resources, as I am T8 gathering in all areas. Occasionally I will gather in the royal zones when I am in need of lower Teir resources, however I mostly just purchase them from other players.

5: I always use the Highest level Gathering Gear I can equip, and an avalonian tool, as together they provide the highest possible yield. For food I am obviously using a pie.

6: My biggest issue is that gathering is no longer satisfying or enjoyable. I feel so much less vulnerable when I am not sitting for a few minutes on the large nodes, I feel unrewarded for finding smaller nodes, I feel my spec is meaningless. I understand that the server maintenance was causing an issue with respawns, but I feel that directly adressing that would have been a far better solution to overhauling the entire system. I would very much like to see the changes brought with Queen Reverted, and see the Issues with gathering addressed directly. Rather than with a broad stroke.

7: I feel its a start, a step in the right direction. As it already addresses one of my concerns. However, I am very adamant that reverting the changes with Queen will be far healthier and more enjoyable for players in the long term.

I have been primarily a gatherer since Final Beta, and although I've had my problems with a handful of the previous gathering changes. Nothing has hit myself and the core gathering community much like the changes launched with Queen. Pre-Queen Gathering was far more rewarding, and enjoyable. Please Revert the changes, we would love that.

Thank you.
      I think that its fine as such, but high tier gathering is what has become significantly worse
      The main difference is that before queen you had 5 connected territories with t7 and t8 resources. This meant that you could do specific t8 gathering events, and lower tier events. This is particulary important as you would use different gear. Now you typically go to one t8 zone and then also have to look at the neighbour lower tier zones as going through one t8 zone is somewhat quick.
      high tier typically from a rest city, lower tier from a hideout.
      mix between ox t5/6 runs in home zones, and high tier gathering based in rest zones.
      t6 gear and t7 avalonian tools for t5/t6 gathering, t8 gear and tools with t7 resource backpack (as you tend not to get that much t8 anyways).
      The distance between t8 zones is to long. if there is a gank group in the zone you want to gather in, before queen you could just go to the next zone, here in queen you have a long run to the next t8 zone. and ofc if you go to far towards centre there is gank groups at portals making your return a problem.
      I torn, because i like the full t7 3 hit spawns, but ive also decided to stop t8 gathering before patch5 and patch5 didnt change that. It feels like ganking groups have it to easy covering the ways back to a bank, and dying is incredibly expensive so its simply better money to just gather t6. Super boring but more worthwhile with the new black market change and a more dependable income.

Perspective: I have spent approximately 6 hours a day roaming the black zone doing guild chores and gathering as I go since the queen launch. I have really enjoyed the initial changes queen brought. I thought it was wonderful. Any time of the day or night you could pick up your tools and find a little bit of t8 to harvest. I kept thinking how lovely that would be for the new gatherers just hitting t8, sneaking past the portal gank groups and actually getting their first taste of t8. I so remember my first t8 beta 1, sneaking past the exodia alliance into their zones and grabbing a bit. The sheer excitement.

Since queen gathering has become enjoyable again. Before queen if you wanted high tiered resources you had to gather zones based on the clock. I know people "believed" the respawns were random before, but they were not. Every zone had a time frame where the majority of the t8 nodes would respawn and those of us they knew those times would be there before that time, bully the other gatherers out of the zone by harvesting everything flat and then gather the t8's as they popped. Gathering was dictated to a clock and felt like an irl job.

From a guild hideout while running zones to harvest the black zone guild farms.

I harvest in every biome and tier. I have very high leveled gathering. I feed guild territories and do guild farms so I'm constantly moving zones.

I use t8 hide gear mainly. I consider them my travel clothes because of the scent of wilderness skill. It has saved me many times from gankers.

Patch 5 has changed made the map too much and now resembles the bleak beta two maps of zone after zone of pancakes.

Well patch 5 has made me less busy to be honest. While I'm doing guild farms and feeding territories, I'm not finding t8 nodes to harvest.
      I can't gather as much as I used to because of the amount of gankers in portal zones specifically, Just the other day there were 12 gankers camping an exit and I made it out by the skin of my teeth and couldn't go back out since the other zones also had gankers

I can't gather as much T7-T8 as I did before since gankers/ nodes now really suck, 0/3 t7? 0/2 T8? all I find are empty nodes and even if I do find a node with resources, they only have 1/3 or 1/2, it's almost not worth going to T7 or T8 anymore. save that one VERY RARE chance you find a full ~23/23 node or whatever they had since it has been a while since I've seen one full

I am in a black zone guild however most of my gathering is right out of Martlock or Lymhurst, I enjoy my guild but most blackzone guilds require zvz activity *daily* and it gets to be too hard to participate when I just want to go gather or do pve

Mostly in T7+ zones however I give up most of the time since there is almost no resources to be found, so I usually give up and gather mostly T6 and a little bit of t5

I use T7.1 most of the time since I have a build specially made for escaping gankers more than resource collection, (i.e. I use the helmet and chest for gathering, but different boots)
      and I use a T7 avalonian tool since it has become apparent to be it's so much more worth using than the average tool, and since I forgo my boots, it evens out my resource gathering rates.

Portal zone gankers in blackzones, and the scarcity of T7-T8 nodes for solo/non black zone leet guild members (blue army, arch, take care, etc.) If you are not aligned with any large blackzone groups, you can forget about gathering in blackzones (imo)

I can almost never find the resource I got out to collect, and since T6 and T5 has dropped in price because of this, gathering it now is basically not worth the time of effort if you are trying to make money from it. and using it to craft is a waste of time as well since you could sell it all raw for more.
      I would love to gather enough T7-T8 to pay for my premium since that is what I've wanted to do for so long, but with these changed it made it even harder, since I'm not able to make the same money I used to, I've changed my income to be more passive/market oriented and I've been looking toward crafting rather than gathering, I hope I don't end up losing all the time and effort I spent into leveling up my gathering when all I had to do was play the market for my cash....
      I used to love gathering, I made like 13m in gathering, in Queen I stooped gathering, I only collect a few resources to help my guild, because I can donate in hideout and I don't need to transport. I usually do dg and hg now.

Before Queen I could collect near portal. Near portal there was resources t6, more portals and less gank.
      Now, you need to pass though many maps with ox, and it is veeeery risky to lose everything you collect, since ox are slow and it call too much attention if any red sees it
      The end of mega alliance made it with less safe spot to transport for city, since you have less territory under control of your guild or small alliance to be safe in the path to royal city in queen

Before queen in black near the portal of royal city

Every biome, I used to collect t5 and t6 near royals in black before queen

If I collect t5 and t6, I usually use gear t7, since it is cheap and the gear gives bonus for only one resource since I collect all 3 resources in map, The bonus of t8 gear for only one resource do not worth. I don't use avalonian tools, because it will be too much expensive and risky to carry 3 avalonian tools to collect

Transport! Ox are slow, call too much attention, if you get dismonted you will be overloaded and cant walk, and you will lose many and many hours of gathering.

I didn't tested yet to have an opinion

The post was edited 4 times, last by Yiotoo ().

• 1) I do not believe it is feasible to collect now for risk vs reward.
      2) I find the T7 and T8 regions next to gates more accessible now, but these due to the number of players that have access, the nodes are scarce. The central map nodes are unreachable due to the monipolization of resources, and ganking patrols, in addition to having to walk on at least 8 maps.
      3) HO and Cities.
      4) External
      5) T8, for the highest yield;
      6) If you are going to collect after daily maintenance, you can make a good amount of collection, there is even traffic of collectors in these times, and with the new update the respawm times are falling in CTA times, or times when people work and sleep.
      7) I liked it, but I believe that a respawm with random schedules would fix a good part, because as I said, there are times that are really worth collecting, and there are times that are demotivating, that is, one earns a lot and one earns nothing.

• I don't have much experience with gathering but I'll comment on fishing.

Fishing doesn't feel like it belongs, the way it works. Gathering in red/black zones doesn't exactly give you the luxury of playing a minigame. It's no wonder the prices of fish are very high. Seaweed is also absolutely awful to obtain and yet you need massive amounts of it if you want to make quality food.

GARBAGE. ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATINGLY TERRIBLE. IRATE(pun intended) -3 out of 10! It would be more accurate to say that gatherer's now pretend to go out and gather, and instead we run around on our mount simulators looking at the scenery to update ourselves on all the empty nodes. Decreasing the resource count of individual nodes by allowing more types of resources has made huge strides in preventing gathering from remaining profitable and then lengthening the time it takes for resources to respawn or lower the tick counts have utterly decimated gathering.

I can't profitably gather. The silver pick up from mobs in t4 HCE's is better than the profit from pretending to gather. Before if I ran around for a couple hours I could get a bag(weight), or two even, full of resources and store them nearby. Now not only can I not fill that bag, I can't find a place nearby to store those few resources, let alone a safe place.

A hideout in the outlands.

T6-8 primarily. Snow, rocky, desert, and plain biomes. Deep in the outlands.

T8 mining. Best gathering returns and best defensive stats. Not that it matters since I'm not really getting returns.

The recently made changes to gathering have made it even more unprofitable. 98% of the resources I have I gathered before the queen update and I hesitate to use any of them because prices are going to increase and also because I know I won't be able to replenish in a reasonable time-frame and/or make a profit. lowering the tick count to 3/3 and 2/2 for T7 and T8 resources, respectively, and then extending the spawn timers while "buffing" the respawn function to make the resources populate in full does not actually fix the problem with gathering T7 and T8 resources. They're still never up and when they are, you're still getting next to nothing.

I answered this mostly in question 6, but I legitimately sit in a rest area when I'm working and during break periods where I no longer have to focus on work, I find maybe one or two nodes to gather from after running around for 20 minutes in T7 and T8 zones. this accumulates through my day to about one to two hours of gathering to get ~10 T8 resources, ~10 T7 resources, and ~30 T6 resources(all ores in my case). Pre-queen I could gather 10x or more of that in an hour or two.
    • 1) Sinceraly, i feel like I can't go in the Outlands, simply. The camping in the portal is ridiculous, the zergs with 20 players ganking 1 gatherer are desgusting. You can pass, but not stay and not return.

2) Less resources, more dangerous and devalued.

3) Yellow Zones, but not anymore.

4) I still gathering in the red zones, but in this areas, resources are very scarce, the competitivity for the resources is too many. ALWAYS when I go for Outlands, I die, and not for a tiny group of gankers, but yes for a zerg party. Snow biome. My mainly profission is Miner, so...

5) T7, I'm not T8 yet. I use T7 for more return and more speed to collect the quantity I need.

6) SO MUCH PLAYERS, LITTLE QUANTITY OF RESOURCES AND EMPTY NODES. In the Blue and Yellow zones mainly, but its affects the Red Zones, and the Outlands too.

7) Negative.

The point here is: The game is awesome, and the comunity starts to notice this, but the game don't grow up, the portals in the Outlands is too little, and very close each other, the Blue and Yellow zone is overpopulated by the beginners and cowards, and the Redzone is overpopulated by the collectors seeking any profit and adventurers seeking any ADVENTURE, AND NOT A ZERG.

Another question: WHY don't have a T7 map with the snow biome????
    • Just a quick rundown of my expertise/experience in regards to Gathering:
      • T8 Hide
      • T8 Fiber
      • T8 Ore
      • T8 Wood
      • T7 Stone
      Over 12m total Gathering Fame. If you had to ask what do I enjoy most about Albion, it's Gathering.

• I don't like it.
      • It's not even Queen specifically, part of it is the latest patch that changed the T7-T8 node respawn times to ridiculous delay.
      • Reversing that change, and keeping the nodes spawning at full tick, would be a great start to improving Gathering. Having more T7 - T8 nodes available, more often is not a bad thing and actually very healthy for the game. It creates a circle of life if you will. Let me know if I need to clarify this for you.
      • I Gather from a Hideout
      • I Gather deep in the Outlands, T5-T8, for hours at a time. Since I'm almost T8 in all Gathering professions, I use all biomes.
      • I use T8 Gathering Gear when applicable, and I use it for the increased yield. Survivability with said gear needs to be looked it. I use Undead Cape, Bloodletter, Mistcaller and Invisibility Potion for escape/survivability.
      • T7-T8 spawn times, and availability. If you reverted the respawn delay change, but kept the full node ticks, this would be a great start to improving the Gathering. Having more T7 - T8 nodes available, more often is not a bad thing and actually very healthy for the game. It creates a circle of life if you will. Let me know if I need to clarify this for you.
      • Negatively. Unless you're the one that finds the full node, it's extremely rare that you find any T7-T8 anymore. And those that do find the full nodes, simply set a time that only they are aware of and come back to gather over and over.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Undert0w ().

• Retroman wrote:

1) I despise it. It feels okay like before up to t6, but for t7 and t8 it's horrendous. I'm t8 in all tools except fishing, and it really feels hard to find decent profits at the higher end. The risk of wearing full t8 gather gear for the reward of maybe a few ticks of t8 per zone is not equitable.

2) Main difference is there's significantly less interaction with other players. I can't find other gatherers, and yet 90% of all the nodes are pancaked even the small ones.

3) I usually start in a t6 zone with guild hideout, but I'm mostly in t7 zones. I honestly don't even bother with t8 zones much, as there's never any t8 in those zones whether it be outer ring alliance controlled or inner ring enemy controlled.

4) I gather mostly t7 in swamp zones at the moment, with at least three tools on me, mostly on the middle ring of the circular outlands.

5) I don't use gathering gear for the most part. I roam with gank gear on and tools in my inventory. I'll only use gather gear for aspects or I'll occasionally throw on t8 gather gear if I'm going to a high enchantment zone for extra procs.

6) My biggest gripe is that gathering in general is too spread out, you have to go through multiple zones to get to another t8 zone, which of course is just as stripped as the last one you went to. This is mostly due to hideouts providing an insane amount of safety to those who live in the zone, and without warcamps it leaves solo and invading players with very little options.

7) Patch 5 changed the small nodes to respawn fully but increased their timers by double or triple. Honestly, this change did not affect anything. Small nodes still don't feel rewarding for only a few ticks, and the increased respawn rate just makes them harder overall to find.

The problem with gathering is that if you're guild/alliance doesn't live nearby, you're just screwed for safe deposits, and with everything else on this new map the higher tiers of gathering are so spread out that it makes it too safe for some players to just take everything since they can bank right there.
    • Preface: I've played since ftp launch, and have hit T7 in all gathering skills. Before Queen my guild was based in Martlock, but now we are located in Bridgewatch. I'm a casual player that gets on for 1-3 hours a night around 6-9 UTC.

I love the new map, but I think it heavily favors people in large alliances...so i feel the current state of gathering is worse off for the majority of the player base, myself included.

With only 3 portals to enter the outlands, the risk of getting ganked is much higher now...even in the off peak hours that i play. Also the access to T7 & T8 zones is severely limited now that the mega alliances have roaming gankers always on hand

I head out of Bridgewatch portal, or i fast travel to the hideout an alliance member has in the outlands. However, i rarely keep much at the hideout as POE is always trying to kill the only hideout we have left. ( I think we have lost 10-12 hideouts in our alliance since the queen update)

Primarily T7 zones because that is where we have the hideout. I would prefer lower tier zones closer to the portal, but those are death traps most of the time.

Tier 6 gear if near the hideout, otherwise I only use a gathering backpack and pies. I'd rather have escape gear on me if i'm going to likely run into gankers...which is pretty much all the time.

The old map kept many of the highly competitive guilds and alliances on the opposite side of the map from Martlock, and with 6 portals to choose from i could usually find a zone that was quiet. If i did get into trouble there was usually a portal a couple of zones away to escape through. Now there are mega alliances locking down huge areas and with the portals clumped together at the edges of the maps, the likelihood of escape pretty much nonexistent.

It didn't as i really only gather T5 & T6 nodes. However, i do occasionally come across a small T7 node thats full, which never used to be the case in the old map...so maybe its better?

Personally I think the mega alliance issue is the bigger problem here for gatherers that aren't in a mega alliance. The mega alliances controlled 70% of the territories before the most recent alliance patch which is a huge advantage over the smaller guilds and more casual player base.
      the respawn time accord to the prime time of the map, i mean vulcano is 03:00 UTC to 05:00 UTC, so the gathering have respawn gathering in that zone.

Huuuge crash to my gathering, never see an 23/23 or atleast a full stack.

Royal city, my main Fiber in fortsterling, now im trying to survive in fiber t8 but is 24/7 empty

Mountain (rock and a little of fiber) and Fiber (Swamp) or Pandemoniun Keep (t8)

T8 Harvest and avalonian Sickle, well its was my first gathering adventure and when i joined to my actual guild, was pretty happy becuase their terrys was full swamps.

1/3 stacks, no 23/23, 24/7 empty enchanted gathering, low profit gathering // expensive refine.

yeah alot, i rlly enjoy doin some gathering with music and finding juicy stacks of t7 fiber, now im frikin sad and hoping if there atleast a 3/3 stack.
    • Hello, returning player here.

I'll try to keep this post as short and concise as possible, but it'll probably be a bit long winded anyways: The last patch/patches I've played were Galahad and Launch (Joseph[?]) - Albion Online as a whole has come an incredibly long way in terms of infrastructure, stability and game play. This obviously includes gathering (avalonian tools, tons of new mounts etc)

I would like to preface that I am a T8 fiber gatherer in a medium sized alliance and I do casual black zone gathering from time to time. This is probably an unpopular opinion but I don't mind the current state of gathering because I feel that raw resources are worth an absurd amount. Sure I run into gankers/roamers, but with a little knowledge about the map, mob placement and a bit of awareness I can generally get away. The real issue with "gathering" isn't necessarily the act of gathering, but the time/effort it takes to transport your goods. This is because portal zones are camped beyond belief and in my opinion; portal camping is probably the lowest form of PvP next to hell gate ratting/dodging. I can fully embrace the full loot aspect of Albion and I'm glad that there are gankers because it means that the game is active.

At the end of the day I'm sure most people can agree that portal camping is just just annoying and barricades new players from entering/leaving the black-zones. It's probably necessary to disperse these gankers to a more even spread of the map instead of all being concentrated in one area.

Side note, I'd like to congratulate SBI for continuously developing and making AO a much better game after all these years. I think the Queen patch overall is very good and with a bit more solo content/small scale content/PvE + loot balancing the game would be in an even better spot. Hopefully a road map will be coming out soon!
      I can only talk about fishing! I don't like the current state of fishing.

I normally only did fishing when I was bored or when I wanted to do something relaxing. Before Queen I was fishing in T6-T8 Zones in Mercia then. After Queen I was fishing in T6 & T7 Zones near Lymhurst / Fort Sterling while the profit was 300K per hour. Before Queen it was 1-2,5M. And running around with around 1M of Equipment for making 300K per hour is pointless. That's even less than what people do in YZs XD

Before Queen Mercia. Now Fort Sterling / Lymhurst.

Wood Biome (T6-T7)

I am T8 Fisher with 55 Spec. I do use T7 Equip with T8 Rod or T8 Equip and T8 Rod & Swapping Gear for escaping.

Main Income from fishing comes from rare fishes. And it seems like they are not catchable in T6 zones anymore. Not sure about T7 Zones since I wasn't able to catch one there too. Further when you are a solo player or when you are in a super small guild it is really difficult to do gathering - at least I feel like this.

You need to run from the portals to T8 Zones - where you run into dozens of Hideouts & ganking parties. And you can't store your stuff in Warcamps anymore in T8 Zones like before - like Heart of the Forest in Mercia. I am fine with not going to T8 Zones. And it makes sense that people who fight for their Hideouts and power do have an advantage. However since T6 and T7 Zones are worthless regarding the income you can instead do something else for making money.

From my point of view fishing was in a fine spot before Queen. The prices of normal fishes are generally low. As following it was nice to be able to catch T7 and T8 fishes in T6 Zones and T7 Zones. While having a good % chance for the rare ones. From what I expierienced now the T7 rare fish drop chance is extremely low. While higher tier resources got more expensive because of the IP Adjustments the effects of foods made from fishing is the same. The foods are as strong as they were before. They already were expensive before Queen and due to lower amount of fishing yield you are making really low profit nowdays. People are not willing to pay even more for the foods I guess. At lest the market barely adjusted to the bad state of fishing.

From what I know there were some bugs with fishing. I talked with one of the community managers about it. However I am not sure whether all issues are fixed now. Since the appearance of the bugs after Queen I stopped fishing. And I am not sure whether I ll start doing it - because of it's bad ingame state.

No impact.
    • Just came back to the game and I know the one thing I will never be doing again.Gathering.

Gathering was crap even before this patch.All resource respawn rates needs massive boost and increase in biom size,make bioms contain hundreds of units so that they are actually worth.I don't mind portals being camped its a pvp game, but make it worth to go and do something else other than dungeons.The risk must be equal to the reward, which at the moment looking at all player answers is not.