Spear Inner Focus needs nerf

• Hello guys. This is albionpewpew. funny to see myself being mentioned here, but i guess it's bound to happen as I am mostly responsible for "spreading this cancer". I want to share some of my thoughts on Inner focus:

first, please consider the reason why I made this build. I am a solo player, I am constantly forced to take out numbered fights. there's no solo content at all in this game. what we solo players must do is take small group content and try to solo it. this includes hellgates, and this includes solo rds. Solo rd are only called solo rds, but lets face it, in the higher tiers, its much more common to see duos and trios farming them than actual solos. when solo rds just got released, a lot of players tried to farm it solo, so a lot of players ganked it as duos and trios. now, there're duos and trios farming it, so the gankers are bring 3, 4, 5 or even more, as you have seen in my videos. therefore, initially, the reason I used a spear is to come up with a build that can escape from any and all gank builds, including blood letters (yes, spear has more mobility than bloodletters, for the most part). I also used the spear for ratting hellgates, and proved that the spear is simply better for this than the bloodletter, because of all the utility in the weapon on top of the mobility.

In open world pvp, i used the same gear that i did when i played warbow previous to the spear. it was guardian helm, cultist robe, and the pre-nerf scholar sandals. this build allowed me to pick my fights, kill when I had the advantage and run when I didn't. this is the canon of all open world pvp. you don't want to fight what will kill you. and the spear is really good for doing that. the video being shown here does not do justice to show how strong the spear is. it was actually kind of a meme, i didn't want to upload that vid at first (i actually said in the video that i wasn't going to upload a vid just to meme on arch, but in the end thats exactly what i ended up doing. lmfao) if you go on youtube and look up all my recent pvp clips, you will see that I can kill much better geared players with it even when out numbered. And against people who arent as geared, I could kill a lot more than 3 at a time. I want to make something clear here. a lot of my viewers like to hype me up, calling me the best albion player, as if I am the Faker of albion or something. but in reality, albion is a super simple game. mechanically speaking it's more simple than season 1 league. the global cooldown in between skill casts makes it pretty much impossible to pull off any kind of insane mechanical play. Skill, in this game, simply means knowing what you can and cannot do. In some builds, it might also mean you need to land a skill shot or two, but there's nothing super hard to pull off. so when I win a 1vX, yes a huge part of it is due to the fact that I know what I can take on. but a equally large factor is that i have created a very strong build and I run it with very high IP.

Now, lets talk about inner focus and whether it's OP. as it is right now, in a 1v1 situation against any melee weapon, my build is a guaranteed win. even before they buffed IP bonus for higher tier gears, it was impossible for me to lose to melee weapons. I had more mobility in my build than any other melee weapon build, my Q has a slow and is semi ranged, and my E is a big damage skill with CC and gap opener. these allowed me to kite any melee weapon indefinitely, and any damage i take during the kiting will be healed back by my guardian helm, cultist robe, and healing pots. so for those of you entertaining the thought of making a spear counter with a melee weapon, im sorry, you just can't do it. many have tried, and all have failed. The only times i would die to a melee build in a 1v1 is if i wasn't paying attention and i get 1 shotted by something like a 1 shot pike, or if im fighting in a place where there's no room to kite. like if i was in the very beginning part of a dungeon, where if i go one way, there's mobs, and if i go another way, it's the exit that i can't leave from because i'm combat locked. if there is room to kite and i'm actually looking at my screen, there's no chance a melee build would kill me. if you don't believe me, you are welcome to come fight me when i stream later. but just keep in mind that we will be fighting in the open world, because that's what the build is made for, .
      weapons that can give my spear build a tough time are all ranged weapons. light cross bows, curse staffs, weapons that I cant just kite and poke to deaths. they do much more damage than me, and hard committing onto them usually means I ll take a big burst and have to run away. but if they are not running cultist robes, they will all die too, because I could just take a losing trade, run away, heal up, and then come back to try again. I could do this over and over until they do eventually die. the majority of these weapons have no movement skills at all, so having 80 percent move speed on the inner focus AND a dash really gives me the advantage, allow me to take down these weapons that can out damage me. but if you run one of these weapons with the same armor set up as me, with cultist robe and guardian helm, then it'd be impossible for me to kill you with the spear. because I will only be taking losing trades when I go in against you, and you can heal up any time I heal up. so against people running these ranged, high damage weapons with cultist robe, my only choice is to run away. but of course, how many of you guys actually use a crossbow or curse staff in the open world, with cultist robe? probably not many, because cultist robes are expensive, and on a weapon with no mobility, you are very likely to die to gank squads, so it'll end up a waste of money. so unless you are trying to stream snipe me or something, there's really just not that many people running the stuff that could force a spear to run away. Someone brought up the point earlier that running away is not OP. i agree with this. but in reality, not many builds can make me run, and not many people use those builds.
      The biggest problem with inner focus is that it's not just good for running away. it's also extremely good at chasing people. if someone with a spear catches you doing a solo dungeon, it's so extremely hard to get away from them, because of the massive amount of mobility they have. If they catch you, you are basically dead. if you are a fairly new player trying to grind a solo dungeon, and you run into me, well....

so bottom line is, I do think that the build i made is pretty busted for open world solo play. now, how to fix it?
      on the NDA patch notes there's a mention of bringing the movement speed on inner focus from 8 per stack to 5 per stack. so 50 at full stacks, instead of 80.

this is, in my humble opinion, retarded.

i saw another forum post talking about this, and i made a reply to it. due to the character limit, i cannot quote it, so i ll link to that post here: Inner Focus Debuff

basically, I think the way they are nerfing it is just a big number cut, and it will end up "fixing" spears the same way they "fixed" graveguard boots: "guys, we fixed graveguard boots, we deleted it from the game"

TLDR: as the maker of this hated build, I do think that this build is pretty broken, but I think the fix to it should be better thought out. the point of nerfing an op build is to make that build balanced, not to remove it from the game, as you have done before with other items.
    • This thread is like this scenario:

1. Muggers and thugs ganked on a single victim.
      2. Muggers and thugs calls the police because the victim fights back or outrun them with ferrari(Yes! this is the symbolic equivalent of cultist and ava sandal) sports car.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jovenus ().

• Well this build is extreme hit and run..

It is an excellent example why u cannot balance 1on1

If there is an option to hit and run one side will always runaway heal comeback

This is why any 1on1 they build needs connect 3 1on1 players..

And regarding the fix, that is simple..It is about same as healing sickness

If u run forever u get running sickness..means if u run too much u get exhausted..and u next run looses efficiency
    • Hollywoodi wrote:

Well this build is extreme hit and run..

It is an excellent example why u cannot balance 1on1

If there is an option to hit and run one side will always runaway heal comeback

This is why any 1on1 they build needs connect 3 1on1 players..

And regarding the fix, that is simple..It is about same as healing sickness

If u run forever u get running sickness..means if u run too much u get exhausted..and u next run looses efficiency
      Yeap we need new real solo content and mentioned on the forum more than once 1 v 1 v 1 or 1 v 1 where the battle arena shrinks over time leaving only a small center.
      About topic: Imo this heavy nerf on inner focus will only hurt solo players. Probably most will change build, spears will be exchanged for carving sword. In a week there will be a similar topic about how that weapon is OP.

SBI destroys symptoms and not the reason, which is forcing solo players to struggle with 3+ opponents in its pseudo solo content.

@Theat U dont know how win against purge in 1v1 as 1h spear, cultist build? L2P you deserve to donate your gear repeatedly to spear users :]
    • For solo not really. I like curse but u cant escape gankers, then 3+ mobile enemy chasing you.
      U cant kill mobile enemy in 1 v 1. An example of Pewpew's build mentioned here. Curse will do more damage, but the losing opponent will simply run away, heal and either attack again if you have no way to regenerate hp, or if you also heal, simply never come back.
    • Niefart wrote:

For solo not really. I like curse but u cant escape gankers, then 3+ mobile enemy chasing you.
      U cant kill mobile enemy in 1 v 1. An example of Pewpew's build mentioned here. Curse will do more damage, but the losing opponent will simply run away, heal and either attack again if you have no way to regenerate hp, or if you also heal, simply never come back.
      niefart - someone who knows what he talks
      Theat - srgtbloodelf style

And niefart forgot even one important point

The spear on cultist and avalonian speed shoes can go 8.2 as 99.99% gank proof

The curse has no escape if superior forces gank..

So curse needs to assume to die from time to time while the spear on super mobility can take way better gear

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hollywoodi ().

• Mulor wrote:

Even after the supposed nerf it will, in my estimate, remain to be the strongest W for mobility in the game, so I don't know what you all are complaining about.
      You forgot the 2s channel time of inner focus. Well, let's do the math here:
      By default a player moves with 5.5m/s (without any movement speed buffs). So in 8s he will move 44m. A player using inner focus will stand still for 2s and moves with 9.9m/s (5.5m/s*1.8) for 6s, resulting in a distance travelled of 59.4m.

With the nerfed inner focus the movement speed bonus goes down to 8.25m/s (5.5m/s*1.5), resulting in a distance travelled of only 49.5m. So you lose 10m through the nerf and have only an advantage of about 5m per use compared to the default movement speed. For comparison: The dash ability in the dagger line gives an advantage of 11m while having a shorter cooldown by default. Even adrenaline rush (axe line) gives a greater advantage (57.25m in 8s). With this change innner focus becomes one of the weakest mobility W spells in the game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Burntime ().

• Phizo wrote:

Someones upset that they cant gang up on a 900k+ solo build that is rarely used.

Hollywoodi wrote:

Niefart wrote:

For solo not really. I like curse but u cant escape gankers, then 3+ mobile enemy chasing you.
      niefart - someone who knows what he talksTheat - srgtbloodelf style

And niefart forgot even one important point

The spear on cultist and avalonian speed shoes can go 8.2 as 99.99% gank proof

The curse has no escape if superior forces gank..

So curse needs to assume to die from time to time while the spear on super mobility can take way better gear
      You can't make ALL weapons the same. Curse is ranged magical dps/support tree. Spear is locked specifically to phyiscal dps/mobility tree. Curse deals better AoE and sustained dps more than a spear. Spear has better mobility period. Pewpew build can't win a facetank fight against a caster but can win poke fights