Mercenary Laborers

• Economy
    • Mercenary Laborers

Mercenary Laborers are currently in a position where they are the only laborer that return a fraction of what their journals cost, but still have the same amount of risk.

A T8 Mercenary's Journal cost ~27k to purchase. you then have to run out to a T8 zone and farm the mobs to fill it.

After you do this, and return to town and wait 22 hours, like any other journal, you are given a very small amount of silver that adds up to roughly 1/4th of cost of the journal. So to just break even you'd need to take on 4x the risk.

I'd suggest expanding the loot table for the Mercenary Laborers. Let them bring back 2-3 Runes, Souls, and Relics with each job, and, rarely, an Artifact from the tier of the journal they were sent out with. This would bring them in line with other laborers, who bring back resources and rarely rare resources.

@Eltharyon please look into this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hostility ().

• Yeah I have always hated Merc journals because of this reason here, I like the idea of it bring-ing some runes, souls and relics with a small chance of getting a whole artifact, This chance would need to be very small but still a much better reward. This would increase the chance people would use theses labors forsure, If this does happen I may get a few myself.
    • I understand the lower return rate on mercs is balanced out by the ease of filling the journals but feel like they could definitely get some love/better return rates without breaking them. The suggestion would work nicely or even just buff the silver return.

While its nice to be able to use the laborers without having to engage in additional content like the other laborers require its still such a poor rate. I think it should be less than the others, since you dont need to gather/craft/do anything really extra for them, but please bring them up a bit so its not SO outclassed.
    • If you do anything else that fills other laborers books agreed, but its at the very least laborer that can be used if you don’t gather/craft and at that point poor return is still greater than no return. Given it takes ages to see a profit, its still at least an option for people who dont engage in activities that will fill books for other laborers. Would love to see them get even a little buff.
    • Wait wait wait.....
      I just returned to Albion a month or so ago (btw Bogul i love the shows and i try to catch them all on Twitch), and my almost main activity is doing Solo dungeons and filling the merc journals to use them. And I did start to take notice that they are not, well , great.
      I like the idea of them getting radnom loot from BM( black market ) loot table or the relics one.
      Im gonna keep em for a while more on my island, but if im only losing money with them (could have beter laborers in those houses) whats the point of them then anyway?

P.S. @Bogul how come Albion doesnt gather much intrest in "pro" stuff? As in, MOBAS are huge on twitch, yet Albion has the same system (CvC, Arena) and its not so popular. I really do enjoy Arenas (i spent 9 years playing LoL and one of the modes i loved was Crystal Scar or Dominion, where you have to take points (Crystals) and hold them to generate points for your team while fighting enemy minions and the enemy itslef.)
      Are there any plans to present Albion in that way too to the broader public? Cuz most people see Albion as a grindy game where you collect stuff and then you fight, when there is SO MUCH more in it.
    • If SBI is concerned about Mercenary journals not being worthy of greater rewards because of how much easier it is to fill with low risk, how about they just make a specific type of Mercenary Laborer journal that offers greater rewards but only mob kills in the Black Zone will count towards filling them?

That way there is greater risk to justify the greater rewards. This may incentivize more people to try doing PvE content in the Black Zone where they ultimately want more of the population to play.
    • Paytriarch wrote:

If SBI is concerned about Mercenary journals not being worthy of greater rewards because of how much easier it is to fill with low risk, how about they just make a specific type of Mercenary Laborer journal that offers greater rewards but only mob kills in the Black Zone will count towards filling them?

That way there is greater risk to justify the greater rewards. This may incentivize more people to try doing PvE content in the Black Zone where they ultimately want more of the population to play.
      I tried all the laborers to see what they are like. Mercenaries are so bad I scrapped them all and replaced them with other types.

The opening's posts's suggestion would potentially make them good.

This suggestion (only from black zone mobs) makes them shit again.
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

Enough of my hateful comments, I can do better than that. Apologies to anyone I've been abusive towards on this forum in the past. 26 September 2020
    • My suggestion was not to only make fame count in the black zones. The existing journals would still exist.

It was to add another new journal type for Mercenary Laborers that would offer much better rewards but the fame for that new type of journal would have to be earned in riskier areas where you could be killed and lose your stuff.

SBI is adamant about trying to make better rewards come with greater risks so my suggestion was aimed to try to appeal to what SBI is interested in to convince them to give players what they want which is better rewards from Mercenary Laborers.

SBI would get another way to incentivize more players to go play in the black zone and creating another higher risk / higher reward mechanic while the players get more worthwhile rewards for engaging in PvE content via the Mercenary Laborer.
    • Paytriarch wrote:

My suggestion was not to only make fame count in the black zones. The existing journals would still exist.

It was to add another new journal type for Mercenary Laborers that would offer much better rewards but the fame for that new type of journal would have to be earned in riskier areas where you could be killed and lose your stuff.

SBI is adamant about trying to make better rewards come with greater risks so my suggestion was aimed to try to appeal to what SBI is interested in to convince them to give players what they want which is better rewards from Mercenary Laborers.

SBI would get another way to incentivize more players to go play in the black zone and creating another higher risk / higher reward mechanic while the players get more worthwhile rewards for engaging in PvE content via the Mercenary Laborer.
      Oh, that's fine then. Sorry I was a bit rude in my response, I shouldn't have let a weird mood out in the post.
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

Enough of my hateful comments, I can do better than that. Apologies to anyone I've been abusive towards on this forum in the past. 26 September 2020
    • Bumping this thread.

When are we going to see the mercenary laborers being actually worth the investment? They have been a bottom tier laborers for years already and people have been complaining about this since launch, but nobody @ SBI seems to care.

There already are pretty good suggestions in this thread - you can increase the fame requirement and keep the fame/silver ratio; you can add additional rewards like runes, souls, relics or even random items; you can make mercenary journals open to all tiers of monsters; etc.. Just make something. At the moment these laborers are literally a trap that ends up costing you a lot more than you actually gain from them.
    • Zarek wrote:

Bumping this thread.

When are we going to see the mercenary laborers being actually worth the investment? They have been a bottom tier laborers for years already and people have been complaining about this since launch, but nobody @ SBI seems to care.

There already are pretty good suggestions in this thread - you can increase the fame requirement and keep the fame/silver ratio; you can add additional rewards like runes, souls, relics or even random items; you can make mercenary journals open to all tiers of monsters; etc.. Just make something. At the moment these laborers are literally a trap that ends up costing you a lot more than you actually gain from them.
      This is really valid criticism with some really good suggestions to fix the problem. +1
    • Paytriarch wrote:

If SBI is concerned about Mercenary journals not being worthy of greater rewards because of how much easier it is to fill with low risk, how about they just make a specific type of Mercenary Laborer journal that offers greater rewards but only mob kills in the Black Zone will count towards filling them?

Every other journal takes you gather/ craft at t8 to fill a t8 journal, so a t8 merc one should be kill t8 mobs to fill then could up the returns. idk why they they made them so easy to fill and cut returns so much....