Farming Question

• Farming Question

Hi, I just bought my first premium and everybody in my guild tells me to farm on carrots, is this only because carrots is the lowest tier crop or are there some crazy demand for carrot i didn't know about? What yields the best profits for carrots in the long term, some food i can make with it that will generate good profit?
    • People tend to grow carrots as it’s the most used crop to feed livestock so is always in demand and easy to sell. They also offer a 200% seed yield when watered so you only have to water half your crop to be self sustaining in seeds. Seeds are also the cheapest of all the crops.

You can take a look at the costs of each crop in your local market and decide yourself if you’d be better off growing the higher tiers, but these do of course require a higher level of farming.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Well basically you have to start with carrots or the low tier herbs. You would then work your way up and power level the crops you plan to use. At the start its going to cost 1000 focus points just to water one square and you will need to water some of the squares so you can maintain seed returns.

As you grow the same crops you level up that crop which lowers the focus cost. As a potion crafter I started by unlocking the T4-T7 herbs I would need to craft the poison potions I wanted. I then power leveled the same herb over and over, selling the herbs each day until the focus cost was more reasonable. At first I couldn't afford to water everything so i would just rebuy seeds i needed from auction house when they were cheaper and kept on planting. Once I was able to spend 250 or less focus watering crops I began actual potion crafting.

Now I consistently water crops for my potions and also use focus during potion crafting to maximize my returns. It can be a long process though getting to this stage unless you have access to lots of plots. I utilize 3 islands and 14 farm plots for all that I do. The 15th one is a kennel which i rarely use so it goes wasted.

Sorry for making this post so long winded. To keep it simple just focus on one crop for a while, and sell the crops as you grow them until you can afford to start turning them into actual foods or potions.

[HINT] - When it comes to refining mats, or crafting foods and potions, if they are T1 or T2 then there is no city tax. That means you can freely make Carrot soup in the city for free if you have the carrots to do so. Once you start making T3 items though you will need to find lower tax city stations or build one of your own on an island and use your crafting focus. Its typically more profitable though to use the city building + crafting focus even with the tax applied.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DoomRawrus ().

• Midgard wrote:

People tend to grow carrots as it’s the most used crop to feed livestock so is always in demand and easy to sell. They also offer a 200% seed yield when watered so you only have to water half your crop to be self sustaining in seeds. Seeds are also the cheapest of all the crops.

You can take a look at the costs of each crop in your local market and decide yourself if you’d be better off growing the higher tiers, but these do of course require a higher level of farming.

Overall it doesnt actually matter which plants you grow, every plant has 100% seedreturn on average when you water half the seeds.
      For carrots its 0% vs 200%, for wheat its 60% vs 140% and so on, also the seedprices average out when looking the seedreturns of watered plants.

This is why most plants actually cost roughly same in the market, the pricedifferences only come from supply and demand.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Termak ().

• Termak wrote:

Midgard wrote:

People tend to grow carrots as it’s the most used crop to feed livestock so is always in demand and easy to sell. They also offer a 200% seed yield when watered so you only have to water half your crop to be self sustaining in seeds. Seeds are also the cheapest of all the crops.

Overall it doesnt actually matter which plants you grow, every plant has 100% seedreturn on average when you water half the seeds.
      For carrots its 0% vs 200%, for wheat its 60% vs 140% and so on, also the seedprices average out when looking the seedreturns of watered plants.

This is why most plants actually cost roughly same in the market, the pricedifferences only come from supply and demand.
      This is of course correct. However what tends to happen is people start with carrots and by the time they have reached a level to grow beans, their carrot spec is on the rise so focus wise they don’t feel it efficient to switch to beans. This carries in through the tiers. By the time you reach 100 farming, switching to pumpkins would be a large hit on focus efficiency if you’ve gone carrots the whole way, so a lot of people just stick with carrots.

You’re right on the maths of course, but there are other reasons not to diversify (especially if you’re just using crops to feed your animals) namely focus. I think my lowest spec for any of the crops is mid to high 60s but I use crops for other things too.
      Midgard
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • DoomRawrus wrote:

Well basically you have to start with carrots or the low tier herbs. You would then work your way up and power level the crops you plan to use. At the start its going to cost 1000 focus points just to water one square and you will need to water some of the squares so you can maintain seed returns.

As you grow the same crops you level up that crop which lowers the focus cost. As a potion crafter I started by unlocking the T4-T7 herbs I would need to craft the poison potions I wanted. I then power leveled the same herb over and over, selling the herbs each day until the focus cost was more reasonable. At first I couldn't afford to water everything so i would just rebuy seeds i needed from auction house when they were cheaper and kept on planting. Once I was able to spend 250 or less focus watering crops I began actual potion crafting.

Now I consistently water crops for my potions and also use focus during potion crafting to maximize my returns. It can be a long process though getting to this stage unless you have access to lots of plots. I utilize 3 islands and 14 farm plots for all that I do. The 15th one is a kennel which i rarely use so it goes wasted.

Sorry for making this post so long winded. To keep it simple just focus on one crop for a while, and sell the crops as you grow them until you can afford to start turning them into actual foods or potions.

[HINT] - When it comes to refining mats, or crafting foods and potions, if they are T1 or T2 then there is no city tax. That means you can freely make Carrot soup in the city for free if you have the carrots to do so. Once you start making T3 items though you will need to find lower tax city stations or build one of your own on an island and use your crafting focus. Its typically more profitable though to use the city building + crafting focus even with the tax applied.
      Very helpful.

I have 2 farms per character. even then I can't always water all 36 plots. I think I am at 680 focus per plot. Didn't think it was possible to get to almost 5 plots per island and be able to water everything.
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

I have 2 farms per character. even then I can't always water all 36 plots. I think I am at 680 focus per plot. Didn't think it was possible to get to almost 5 plots per island and be able to water everything.
      You can get the focus cost down to as low as 125 per seed, with 100 farming and 100 spec in a specific crop. Thats 1125 focus for a full plot or 5625, per day, for a T6 island with 5 plots (45 seeds).

You wont however want to fully water all 9 seeds in a plot, just enough to keep your seed return constant. I tend to do 5-6 of the 9 and it keeps my seed supply topped up allowing me to replant.
      Midgard
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

sandstorm22 wrote:

You can get the focus cost down to as low as 125 per seed, with 100 farming and 100 spec in a specific crop. Thats 1125 focus for a full plot or 5625, per day, for a T6 island with 5 plots (45 seeds).
      You wont however want to fully water all 9 seeds in a plot, just enough to keep your seed return constant. I tend to do 5-6 of the 9 and it keeps my seed supply topped up allowing me to replant.
      125? That will be great. I will reevaluate when I get higher level, because the seeds sure sell well compared to the carrots themselves.
    • The cost goes down pretty fast early on but as everything, the higher your levels go the slower they level up so getting to under 300 is quite a lot of work. But even that is huge upgrade from starting.

Also ye you start with carrots but you dont need to grow them long to get higher ranks, some of the higher plants are almost always better than carrots since carrots are mainly just fed for animals, and thats only because they are the cheapest plants to buy.