How to play a practical joke on your entire player base: SBI Edition.

• How to play a practical joke on your entire player base: SBI Edition.

The important thing is to pick something that your players are wildly passionate about and have been absolutely begging you to implement to reduce their misery for years. Then you run a poll for that thing, and you finally let all of those players let their voices be heard directly, instead of through the mouths of the GM that SBI elected to represent you.

Obviously a huge % are going to vote for the thing they want. This is called, "The Setup". Without this part the gag doesn't work.

Then you release some fluff about how you have heard what they are saying and you are going to think about it a great deal and come up with some ideas. Gotta let them stew a little bit first. Don't give it all to them at one time, or else they may figure out something weird is going on.

Next you make a big public announcement agreeing to actually test the thing! Actual, change! Coming to AO in 2020! Everyone everywhere will be talking about it. They will start getting pumped up and making plans for how they are all going to go out banging once the yoke has been lifted. Some people even told me they got an erection. Pure energy running through the community for the first time since F2P launch.

Finally right before the weekend when everyone gets ready to play some AO. That Friday afternoon. And this is also important. You don't announce that you canceled the test. No. See that's way too clean. That's a sharp pain. That isn't what we want. We want long term agony here or it isn't even worth the time. What you do is propose an "Update", just some minor little tweaks. But, when you read the update. Instead of it being changes to what was proposed. It is just a series of bullet points with completely new and unrelated proposals that don't just not address the problems people have, but are a quite perfect and complete reversal of what was proposed and told to us would be tested.

Wait until you see the players faces! And if they don't get the joke well that is their own fault. SBI and the GMs on the RT certainly think it's hilarious.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Piddle wrote:

The important thing is to pick something that your players are wildly passionate about and have been absolutely begging you to implement to reduce their misery for years. Then you run a poll for that thing, and you finally let all of those players let their voices be heard directly, instead of through the mouths of the GM that SBI elected to represent you.

Obviously a huge % are going to vote for the thing they want. This is called, "The Setup". Without this part the gag doesn't work.

Then you release some fluff about how you have heard what they are saying and you are going to think about it a great deal and come up with some ideas. Gotta let them stew a little bit first. Don't give it all to them at one time, or else they may figure out something weird is going on.

Next you make a big public announcement agreeing to actually test the thing! Actual, change! Coming to AO in 2020! Everyone everywhere will be talking about it. They will start getting pumped up and making plans for how they are all going to go out banging once the yoke has been lifted. Some people even told me they got an erection. Pure energy running through the community for the first time since F2P launch.

Finally right before the weekend when everyone gets ready to play some AO. That Friday afternoon. And this is also important. You don't announce that you canceled the test. No. See that's way too clean. That's a sharp pain. That isn't what we want. We want long term agony here or it isn't even worth the time. What you do is propose an "Update", just some minor little tweaks. But, when you read the update. Instead of it being changes to what was proposed. It is just a series of bullet points with completely new and unrelated proposals that don't just not address the problems people have, but are a quite perfect and complete reversal of what was proposed and told to us would be tested.

Wait until you see the players faces! And if they don't get the joke well that is their own fault. SBI and the GMs on the RT certainly think it's hilarious.
      sad to agree with you and yes welcome to forum banter cause they are trying to hide our posts..
    • Piddle wrote:

SBI should get a marketing deal with anti-depressant companies. If you are going to send your player base into clinical depression, you should at least get paid for it.
      Or the player base could man-up and realise it’s a game and not worth getting depressed about.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

Piddle wrote:

SBI should get a marketing deal with anti-depressant companies. If you are going to send your player base into clinical depression, you should at least get paid for it.
      Or the player base could man-up and realise it’s a game and not worth getting depressed about.
      Or people who doesnt have even 2 kills shouldnt talk about the game future
      Images
      • mmm.png

153.85 kB, 364×606, viewed 47 times
    • Midgard wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Or the player base could man-up and realise it’s a game and not worth getting depressed about.It's really easy to just be dismissive of everyone else and pretend that only the things you care about matter in life. It's just a terrible way to think if your goals are to create things for other people. Because people have opinions about things, and they aren't always the same as yours are.
      It's really easy to be dismissive of everyone else's opinions and feelings, but your own. It's just a particularly bad personality trait in people whose job is to quite literally make as many people happy as possible.

When I was a small retarded child I also only cared about myself. But, it makes you a bad person and so I learned to live in a world in which people are willing to accept minor inconveniences themselves in order to make a better world to live in for everyone.
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Piddle wrote:

Midgard wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Or the player base could man-up and realise it’s a game and not worth getting depressed about.It's really easy to just be dismissive of everyone else and pretend that only the things you care about matter in life. It's just a terrible way to think if your goals are to create things for other people. Because people have opinions about things, and they aren't always the same as yours are.
      It's really easy to be dismissive of everyone else's opinions and feelings, but your own. It's just a particularly bad personality trait in people whose job is to quite literally make as many people happy as possible.
      When I was a small retarded child I also only cared about myself. But, it makes you a bad person and so I learned to live in a world in which people are willing to accept minor inconveniences themselves in order to make a better world to live in for everyone.
      I saw many posts and responds of you and I do like to see that people who share same idea with me but at the same time attacking on me, so funny but still, you cant expect from the people to be rational in the end..
    • AdamSmith wrote:

I saw many posts and responds of you and I do like to see that people who share same idea with me but at the same time attacking on me, so funny but still, you cant expect from the people to be rational in the end..
      My specific problem with you isn't your opinions. It is that you are just a terrible poster. Everything about your posts makes me want to claw my eyes out. You also have this thing where, if you were a puppy you'd just pee in your own mouth, or in my mouth. But, 0% chance you would pee anywhere that anyone else would expect you to. Like in a bush or a toilet.
    • Piddle wrote:

AdamSmith wrote:

My specific problem with you isn't your opinions. It is that you are just a terrible poster. Everything about your posts makes me want to claw my eyes out. You also have this thing where, if you were a puppy you'd just pee in your own mouth, or in my mouth. But, 0% chance you would pee anywhere that anyone else would expect you to. Like in a bush or a toilet.
      Can you please focus on the opinions not the way i talk or i look, this is the way to argue opinions, and about my posts this is my style , its harsh and salty but in the end this is the thing that makes me...
    • Piddle wrote:

Midgard wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Did you really just add words to my quote that I didn't say? How disingenuous. In fact how pathetic. Are we seeing the Piddle we used to know that was a self confessed asshole returning? It seems so.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter