AOE weapon for hide gathering

• AOE weapon for hide gathering

I know daggers thanks to Dash on W paired with mistcaller/torch for the cooldown reduction are a staple combo for gathering thanks to the escape mechanism, and this is especially true for those gathering professions that do not require killing mobs (apart from aspects and similar).
      However when it comes to skinning, killing mobs as fast as possible is a must and even though I've always preferred single target (I tried daggers and even crossbows, which I loved but sadly made little to no sense at all for killing animals) it seems pretty obvious that aoe weapons have an advantage.

Not considering artifact weapons, I mostly see longbow used but I was wondering if the great fire staff with aoe on all Q W and E could be an even better option.

The Q on the bow are either single target or if multitarget tend to aggro unwanted mobs roaming nearby, and the E although powerful when paired with explosive arrows on the W comes with a 20% slow CC that doesn'ty seem èarticularly useful in pve.or at least not when gathering.

The great fire staff on the other hand seems to be only focused on pure raw damage and AOE damage on all keys.

I know that in the end with the poison effect from the skinner jacket there won't be much difference if any, but nevertheless I'd like to hear an opinion.
    • Im axe main (380/400) - so obviously my reply will be biased.

But having said that - axes are great for skinning (and overall gathering too). Bear Paws are great, you also get the added benefit of having 2 escape abilities. The adrenaline rush on the W + the jump on the E.

If you want pure AOE (which I would strongly suggest against in Black Zones... because escape should always be #1 priority, but to each is to own I suppose) - then you can run Spinning Blades. There - all 3 abilities come with AOE.

Also Bear Paws is the only weapon that deals true damage - which is exceptionally lethal the higher the tier of the mob is (because of the way true damge scales with Reaver, and because they recently buffed armor on all higher tier mobs a couple of patches ago).

But I can see Great Fire being okay too. Full AOE, but no escape ability - but personally I would not take that into Red or Black zones...
    • Captainrussia wrote:

Im axe main (380/400) - so obviously my reply will be biased.

But having said that - axes are great for skinning (and overall gathering too). Bear Paws are great, you also get the added benefit of having 2 escape abilities. The adrenaline rush on the W + the jump on the E.

If you want pure AOE (which I would strongly suggest against in Black Zones... because escape should always be #1 priority, but to each is to own I suppose) - then you can run Spinning Blades. There - all 3 abilities come with AOE.

Also Bear Paws is the only weapon that deals true damage - which is exceptionally lethal the higher the tier of the mob is (because of the way true damge scales with Reaver, and because they recently buffed armor on all higher tier mobs a couple of patches ago).

But I can see Great Fire being okay too. Full AOE, but no escape ability - but personally I would not take that into Red or Black zones...
      Good point! I was just taking fir granted that range would give me an advantage when pulling mobs from a distance but I didn't consider how strong Whirlwind is especially when combined with adrenaline boost.
      There's something that I noticed tho when trying the longbow and great fire: the normal attack range feels longer on the longbow than with the great fire. Is it possible? What about 1h ranged weapons? Do they have a shorter auto attack range compared to 2h range?