Shields

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• You don't see them very often. You see Taproots, Torches, Mistcallers, Tome of Spells, Muisaks, & Cryptcandles but no shields.

The round shield got a nice buff with the CC resistances but it still sees very little play.

Right now for pure defensive purposes the Taproot is god, all of the self healing in game is % based and the extra HP makes up for the fact you have some negative healing. The other Utility/Offensive off-hands just outshine the little bit of defense you pick up with a shield.

When you put on a shield you should feel like you can take a hit. When I put one on I feel like I am wasting the slot.

I am normally a big fan of shields and would like to see them a little more in Albion.

Any thoughts on how these could be buffed to make them feel more useful.
    • shields should be like capes making them more beneficial.
      Shield bash would be nice to see as well as some pve/PvP abilities, would shoot up, their price and use but could disbalance 2h’s sadly, but seriously the 2% increase per tier is pretty weak ass, a tier 8 shield I can almost equal with 4.3 or 5.2 for nearly six times the value less.
      But that’s just me, they don’t really shine in open world PvP sadly as cooldowns and hp tend to be more useful when your shield will do nothing against armor or resistance weapons
    • Perhaps if they added a bit of HP to them on top of the defense bonus. Not nearly as much as say a taproot but perhaps 1/4 on the round shield since it has the added bonus of CC resist and maybe 1/3 as much on the sarco to give it a fighting chance to see some more open world use. The other 2 shields maybe 1/4 HP since they have added bonuses on top of the defense already.

It would make them more desirable and stay within the role of a shield(being tanky).

Active abilities or thorns would add balance issues and the only offhand in the game with HP is the taproot where several of the other ones share the same stats just in different weights. I don't see why the taproot needs to be the only offhand with HP.
    • I think the whole statstick that are offhands is flawed, but shields in particular are just too weak, because their benefits are totally invisible.
      "Is 30 cc resistance enough to make me leave grovekeeper stun unharmed?" "What does even 30 cc resistance mean?"
      "Is this 2% increase in resistance help me tank SOMETHING?" "is 30% extra aggro WORTH when the chest has 300%?". The list goes on and on.

I have been thinking about this for some time, and I really feel that Offhands need a complete rework. Make them fill a role nothing else can, because for now, you can do the same as almost any offhand with food, and even just go with both. That's... not good.

Since we are talking about shields here, why not let them give you a regenerating shield? Like, the ones we see in sci-fi games. Differents shields may give different ratios of Shield/Regen, and could still give some minor stat bonuses. Why I suggest this?
      Because, as League of Legends LONG ago disclaimed (and I think is very relevant here), "invisible power" feels lame. Lets take (if you don't know the game, I will give a quick explanation, dont worry) Old Sona W for example. It used to heal you and another target, and give a pasive armor and magic resist aura. Quite invisible, but in statistics, quite strong. The thing is, nobody really knew how good was it, because it was just there, without more input and without real way to tell. It made people tankier, yes, but... how much? Was enough? Was too little? Too much?. The point is, Riot Games adressed it with the same skill now giving a SHIELD instead of the resistances aura. The shield was visible. You could see skills breaking it. It felt better. Was it better? Maybe? Im not sure. But FELT better. Was more clear, people could understand they had a defensive on them and work around it.
      So, back to shields. % damage reduction is VERY invisible. Why not turn it on a "shield" too, after all, this covers the fantasy of beign tankier and allows clear understanding on how effective is it.
      The shield could be flat, %hp based, a mix or the two, anything. Same with shield regen. Since people can't really "regen" in combat, having shields regen could be a way to give some characters sustain without making it over the roof. Im talking about things like, 8 regen per second or something like that.
      Just to give an example, shields could give something like this
      Round Shield: 120 base shield at T4 (Aprox 6% of a T4 character health), 12 regen per second (Or 10% of the total shield per second), 10% cc resistance (PLEASE they should use cc resistance as % and not as flat number). This could be a good shield for small group fights, where you are not instantly bursted down, because of the good regen you can use it as something to soak up damage over long periods of time.
      Caitif Shield: 160 base shield at T4 (Aprox 8% of a T4 character health), 4 regen per second (or about 2% the total shield per second), +X% CC duration. This is a shield with better base but worse regen, and since it has extra CC duration could be used on tanks (If we had good enough 1h weapons to justify that) that are looking for an edge in the opening part of combat. Also for some mages with cc abilities could be attractive.
      Facebreaker: 80 base shield at T4 (Aprox 5% of a T4 character health), 16 regen per second (or 20% of the total shield per second), + X% damage. This offhand fantasy is supposed to be a dueling and fighthing, so it makes sense for me to have it regen very fast to make the idea you are getting advantages over the fight, keeping the extra damage as an edge.
      Sarcophagus: 240 base shield (Aprox 12% of a T4 character health), no in combat regen, 20 out of combat regen. +FLAT damage reduction (small) My idea here is, big shield for first volley of damage, but not something you can abuse of after. The idea is to have this for, for example, 1h healers (I KNOW, THEY ARE NOT A THING) to cover with to buy them time to get out of the fray, or for tanks getting inside a zerg, to have some extra bulk on their side.

Why all of this and how it scales? Lets to some albion Math
      Generally, every 100 ip is 8% increase in stats. So, let imagine you have 100 spec on Round Shield (Normal one) and weild a T8. It should have around 600 more IP than a T4 (rough numbers, ignoring mastery modifier and so). That's 8% 6 times (No, not 48%). So.
      T4 is 120 shield 12 regen
      T5 is 130 shield 13 regen
      T6 is 140 shield 14 regen
      T7 is 151 shield 15 regen
      T8 is 163 shield 16 regen
      +200 IP from specs is 190 shield 19 regen.

A 190 shield is not that much, but if you wear cloth, is about a T8 bow Q + basic attack you cover. Usually at T8 with some specs on cloth you get 2800 health (more or less). 126 is 6.7% of 2800 (more than the % reduction you get from the shield right now) but if we also add the regen, we need to think on a extended fight. Every 10 seconds you get another 190 shield, but in the meanwhile you are not reducing damage by %. This means is a 6.7% effective hp initial shield, then a 0.67% effective health shield every second. You can see that the shield wearer is getting his shield recharged if you let him be, so is a good idea to keep attacking and poking. 12.6 regen per second means you cover about 18-20% of an archer autoattacking but not trowing skills. A shield with 4% damage reduction on a 2800 health character is ROUGHLY the same as having 112 extra health. So, with this whole SHIELD + SHIELD REGEN system, you get more, visible, tangible protection. Of course, numbers CAN AND SHOULD be worked around, but a system like this gives oportunity for shields to exist.
      Do you have toughts on this? Let me know.
    • Gabumon wrote:

Round Shield: 120 base shield at T4 (Aprox 6% of a T4 character health), 12 regen per second (Or 10% of the total shield per second), 10% cc resistance (PLEASE they should use cc resistance as % and not as flat number). This could be a good shield for small group fights, where you are not instantly bursted down, because of the good regen you can use it as something to soak up damage over long periods of time.
      Caitif Shield: 160 base shield at T4 (Aprox 8% of a T4 character health), 4 regen per second (or about 2% the total shield per second), +X% CC duration. This is a shield with better base but worse regen, and since it has extra CC duration could be used on tanks (If we had good enough 1h weapons to justify that) that are looking for an edge in the opening part of combat. Also for some mages with cc abilities could be attractive.
      Facebreaker: 80 base shield at T4 (Aprox 5% of a T4 character health), 16 regen per second (or 20% of the total shield per second), + X% damage. This offhand fantasy is supposed to be a dueling and fighthing, so it makes sense for me to have it regen very fast to make the idea you are getting advantages over the fight, keeping the extra damage as an edge.
      Sarcophagus: 240 base shield (Aprox 12% of a T4 character health), no in combat regen, 20 out of combat regen. +FLAT damage reduction (small) My idea here is, big shield for first volley of damage, but not something you can abuse of after.

First of all, i absolutly agree with you about the "visible action" (i am a League player too so i feel the same ;) ) and i also agree with this shield passive concept, would be so cool. Maybe even better if you get it refreshed as soon as you get out of combat, could be a really spicy choice for solo dungeons and maybe even gtherers could think to give it a shot. The only thing i think should different is that would be better if the shield would scale only on an hp percentage and not on a flat amount, to do not allow some builds to become overpower (for example a cultist robe/cursed staff/shield build omg). In less words, the shield should reward your tankiness (in my opinion).
    • There's a lot they could do with the shields, almost too much, which I think might be the cause of the devs not aggressively changing them. This thread alone has had, what, 4 or 5 suggestions that could work? It might be beneficial to list the main things we think are lacking from the shields, then let the devs work on the mechanical fixes for the issues.

From my perspective:
      • Mitigation seems too weak to justify the slot. As OP pointed out, taproot does a better job of increasing the player's durability.
      • CC resistance on the default shield, while a nice addition, has not been noticeable in my personal experience. I believe even at t7, it amounts to less than a 10% reduction.
      I'd like to make clear, I'm not saying both of these areas should be buffed together. I'd like see shields balanced in small increments up to what would make them more competitive, rather than having massive buffs followed by necessary nerfs. Would love to see others add to the list.

Also, I will say I'm happy with the facebreaker from a mechanical standpoint, as it fills a more generalist bruiser build out nicely. I'd be running one all the time if the price wasn't quite as high.
    • I would honestly introduce an extra Ability for Shields, get rid of all that boring % statstick thing they have going for them.

One thing wow did well for Tanks, was to introduce active mitigation. Passives are just plain boring. Unless they are op, lmao.

So, give Shields scaling HP increases just like melee Weapons do.
      In addition to that, giving them an Ability.

Round shield could be something similar to Soldier Helmet, but more focused on battling CC, like reduce next cc that hits you in a certain animation/timeframe in duration & effectiveness by x or be immune to cc only for said duration.

Facebreaker could literally just be that, a shield slam into someones face does dmg.

Caitiff, similar to facebreaker but in a defensive/cc way, like increase next cc effectiveness or slam ppl away from you, etc.

Sarcophagus just a big ass frontal cone reflect.

Passives are boring.

C would be the prime Hotkey for such a new Ability. C for Chields :^)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ravname ().

• Ravname wrote:

I would honestly introduce an extra Ability for Shields, get rid of all that boring % statstick thing they have going for them.

One thing wow did well for Tanks, was to introduce active mitigation. Passives are just plain boring. Unless they are op, lmao.

So, give Shields scaling HP increases just like melee Weapons do.
      In addition to that, giving them an Ability.

Round shield could be something similar to Soldier Helmet, but more focused on battling CC, like reduce next cc that hits you in a certain animation/timeframe in duration & effectiveness by x or be immune to cc only for said duration.

Facebreaker could literally just be that, a shield slam into someones face does dmg.

Caitiff, similar to facebreaker but in a defensive/cc way, like increase next cc effectiveness or slam ppl away from you, etc.

Sarcophagus just a big ass frontal cone reflect.

Passives are boring.

C would be the prime Hotkey for such a new Ability. C for Chields :^)
      Would be nice, but that'd be a massive overhaul, because they'd need to do it for all the other off-hands as well. Would be nice to see one day, but I'm more hopeful of making shields competitive sooner rather than later.

*Edit*
      Not to mention they'd need to balance them against two handed weapons as well at that point.
    • blappo wrote:

they wont add a new skill slot to much change,

i think they leave shields exactly as is, but every % defense has an equal flat # hp regen in combat.

it would be unique to the shield line nothing else in the game gives passive incombat healing

example 4% resistances - 4 hp per second combat healing.
      Would barely be noticeable unfortunately, t8 shield with 100 spec would give less than 6/hps
    • In my opinion HP regen is once again just another statstick syndrome, another hidden boring passive. There is no synergy with other Items as there is none that increases healing regeneration while in combat. Only heal power would potentailly affect it. But if Healpower were to affect HP regen, that would make robe wearers tankier than they should be. So, i disagree with the hp/s idea. (However, some of my ideas down below might be contradictory to what i said. Take the examples with a grain of salt, they are merely ideas)

So if Shield Slot Abilities aren't gonna happen. Then maybe let Shields enhance specific spell slots instead.

• Round Shield, CC reduction when using your Shoes (F), Using your Weapon (Q) gives you a resistance buff for 1 sec.

• Facebreaker, after using your Weapon (Q) - your next AA damage is increased by x, using your Special Ability (E) ability gives you a resistance buff for 2 sec.

• Sarcophagus, Using your Weapon (Q) increases your max health by 1.5% , using your Secondary Weapon Attack (W) reduces damage taken by x% for x sec.

• Caitiff shield, Your Weapon (Q) additionally slows enemy by 5% stacking up to 3 times, using your Helmet (was it d or r? can't remember anymore) will root enemies in X radius around you for 1.5 sec.

Or another example:

• Sarco: Increases your resistances by x% passively, and gain stacking hp buff everytime you use an ability or an attack, 1.5% max hp per stack - max 3 stacks. Stacks last for 2 sec.

• Caitiff: Reduces your cd's by x% passively, and Increases your resistances by flat amount everytime you use an ability for x sec.

• Round: Reduce damage taken by flat amount passively, like let's say 5 dmg passively. Whenever you take damage gain a stack, after 3 stacks you gain a flat amount of heal. Stack lasts 1 sec. Once it reaches 3 stacks it has cd of 4 secs.
      • Facebreaker: Increases your damage by x% passively. Everytime you take damage, increase that damage further (example passive 2% dmg buff, everytime you get attacked gain 2% up to 6%). Stacks 3 times. lasts 1 sec. Once it reaches 3 stacks it has cd of 6 secs.

So many possibilities!

The post was edited 11 times, last by Ravname ().