Chicken Viability

• Chicken Viability

New to game trying out farming. I have been doing carrots and that has been working very well. I decided to try out chicken farming. Only a couple of days in, so I'm still trying to optimize feeding. The only production so far is 3 chicks.

I'm farming to acquire silver. I haven't done any math yet, but a quick snapshot has me thinking maybe I should have made a 2nd carrot farm rather than chickens. Using all my hard-earned carrots to keep the chicken fed feels like throwing away my profits.
    • You get on average 9 carrots from one farmplot, one chicken eats 10 food and takes away the farmplot from carrots.
      One chicken makes 20 meat for the cost of 19 carrots kind of. Not counting extra seeds/chicks which you should ofc.
      So if chicken meat sells for bit more than carrots you are making profit.
      Farming is always simple and dependable, with animals theres extra costs which you need to take into consideration.
    • Thanks termak. You're right, just do the math.

Although I think I am doing it wrong. I've been receiving chicks from the farm ...never eggs. Using a lot of carrots but I don't have to use focus anymore? Which I want to do. I'm thinking I'm supposed to remove the chickens in place and replant chicks to be able to use focus?

The end game is pigs isn't eat for livestock? These chickens don't seem as profitable as straight up carrots
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

Although I think I am doing it wrong. I've been receiving chicks from the farm ...never eggs.
      You can only use focus on chickens when they are a chick and all it does is increase the chance of getting another chick. After it has become an adult chicken you need to feed it again to get eggs.
      I'm still new as well but it seems like the only purpose of focus is to get back the item you purchased to produce, so you spend less money on buying seeds or baby livestock. It doesn't seem to increase yield.
    • rujind wrote:

If you feed an adult chicken you should be getting eggs 100% of the time.
      For the first time I received eggs this morning. From one chicken. It's been 4 days now. Twice a day I feed each chicken 5 carrots. I have no idea what the two timers are or how they work. All I know is it feels like I am throwing away 90 carrots a day on nothing. Any YouTube video has the old system. Very hard to find accurate up to date information
    • Er, im pretty sure all livestock requires 10 food to produce anything. Do yourself a favor and click on a chicken, open your inventory, and shift click the food just like you do when you want to dump stuff into your bank or salvage/study.

Edit: also are you premium? It cuts production time in half, from 44 hours to 22 hours. There is also an arrow you can click on the chicken window for more info.
    • rujind wrote:

Er, im pretty sure all livestock requires 10 food to produce anything. Do yourself a favor and click on a chicken, open your inventory, and shift click the food just like you do when you want to dump stuff into your bank or salvage/study.

Edit: also are you premium? It cuts production time in half, from 44 hours to 22 hours. There is also an arrow you can click on the chicken window for more info.
      I am premium. I'm getting more eggs now, which sell for 8 silver a piece? I'm not understanding the two green timers....and the different shades of green. No one has mentioned the 10 food per livestock before. It is helpful information.

That said, it still seems like a money sink rather than money making. I'm going to wait until all the chickens are hungry again and yank them out, Change over to carrots. Steady profit, no cost and the goal of potatos eventually looks very profitable with seeds
    • sandstorm22 wrote:

rujind wrote:

Er, im pretty sure all livestock requires 10 food to produce anything. Do yourself a favor and click on a chicken, open your inventory, and shift click the food just like you do when you want to dump stuff into your bank or salvage/study.

I am premium. I'm getting more eggs now, which sell for 8 silver a piece? I'm not understanding the two green timers....and the different shades of green. No one has mentioned the 10 food per livestock before. It is helpful information.
      That said, it still seems like a money sink rather than money making. I'm going to wait until all the chickens are hungry again and yank them out, Change over to carrots. Steady profit, no cost and the goal of potatos eventually looks very profitable with seeds
      You’re giving up without even doing the math. It’s 90 carrots to feed a plot of 9 chickens. Work out the market price for 90 carrots and then the market price for a whole farm plot of eggs (which in effect costs 90 carrots). This will give you your answer on the viability of chickens and whether chickens or carrots give the best return. It’s not rocket science.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

sandstorm22 wrote:

rujind wrote:

I am premium. I'm getting more eggs now, which sell for 8 silver a piece? I'm not understanding the two green timers....and the different shades of green. No one has mentioned the 10 food per livestock before. It is helpful information.That said, it still seems like a money sink rather than money making. I'm going to wait until all the chickens are hungry again and yank them out, Change over to carrots. Steady profit, no cost and the goal of potatos eventually looks very profitable with seeds
      You’re giving up without even doing the math. It’s 90 carrots to feed a plot of 9 chickens. Work out the market price for 90 carrots and then the market price for a whole farm plot of eggs (which in effect costs 90 carrots). This will give you your answer on the viability of chickens and whether chickens or carrots give the best return. It’s not rocket science.
      I agree it's not rocket science, and I've done the math Since I am a brand new player, and the math results are so outrageously bad, I figured it must be me. Which is why the questions .... what am I doing wrong and what am I missing? I was hoping a more veteran player would have an answer to that. Since that is a hard no, the chickens must die.
    • You can use most animals in 2 ways, for eggs/milk or for meat.
      You get fame only with the meat option, since just feeding and gathering milk/eggs gives no fame afaik.
      Growing chickens is done only for getting fame to move to higher tier of animals since lowtier stuff isnt that profitable since "everyone" can do it. After you get to gooses and such it is better and it gets even better when you get to cows.

You get 20 meat / egg / milk for the "cost" of 19 (10 feed + 9 loss of farming) plants. So as long 20*meat > 19*plant then animals are profitable. However its much much easier to sell farmed goods instead of meats so there is that also.
      Plants sell between 300-450 atm ? Meats maybe 400-500, milk/eggs 300sh? Selling extra animalbabies evens out with seeds i guess.