Proposed Hideout Travel System

• Proposed Hideout Travel System

Hi all,

one of the drawbacks of the Queen update is that it's much harder to take part in Royal Continent gameplay - especially islands - if you are based deep in the Outlands.

On the other hand, the long travel times are needed to limit the power projection of high end alliances and keep distances impactful for the in-game economy.

We went to the drawing board and asked us the following question:

Is there a system that gives Outland players easier access to the Royal Continent without making it easier for them to project their power across the whole Outlands and without harming the in-game economy?

We believe that we found an answer to that.

Here is the concept: (note that some details have been left out for clarity)

From your home in the Outlands (which could be a hideout or one of the Outland cities) you can naked fast travel to any Royal city. This is pretty similar to the current "fast travel" via /suicide. However, the key difference will be that you won't lose your home binding if you do that. Instead, you will get a "debuff" that says: "If you use an Outland portal, you will lose your home". You'll also get the same debuff if you /suicide and pick a Royal city as your respawn location. This debuff still discourages deep Outland players to naked fast travel to the Royals and then harrass the low Outlands through a portal - as they'd lose their home this way, the same way as it is right now. However, as long as you actually do not use an Outland portal, you can carry out your duties in the Royals - such as tending to your island, trading, blue/yellow/red zone gameplay, etc. - normall. Once you are done, you can access any fast travel point in one of the cities. These fast travel points will then have the option for you to naked fast travel back to your home in the Outlands. Doing so will remove the above mentioned debuff, so once you are back in your Outland home, your situation is exactly the same as when you left.

As a quick fix, we will partially implement these travel options by changing how the last city respawn works in conjunction with /suicide. In an upcoming patch, you will not lose your home if you /suicide and pick last city as a respawn point. In addition to that, you'll allow you to make an Outland city your home, while at the same time no longer having Outland cities count as "last cities". If you pick the last city respawn option, you'll always end up in the Royals. You'll get the debuff that says "you will lose your home binding if you use a portal". That debuff will be removed if you die or /suicide and do NOT pick last city as your respawn option. If you pick last city as your respawn option, it will stay.

Now, if and when the above system is properly implemented, there is a nice extension to it that would however most likely be added at a later stage. We could allow you to use the "hideout travel system" without to manually store your gear in a chest first. Instead, that gear would automatically be stored in the associated bank chest and you'd have the option to immediately put on that gear with one click once you travel back. This way, you could have a gear set for your character at your hideout and a gear set for your character in the Royals and easily switch back and forth. Mechanically, it's the same as using the reworked /suicide command, practically, however, it will drastically improve quality of life. Eventually, such a gear set system could be expanded to allow you to save pre-configured loadouts such that you can easily equip them provided that your chest is adequately stocked.

We are looking forward to your feedback.
    • Can you please re-evaluate the weight of journals as part of these changes? The current journal weight is ridiculous. If you are still worried about the royal fast travel system, just remove it. No luggage allowed in fast travel anywhere makes the most sense. This system is only used for exploitation anyway, removing it would make royal transport more viable.

I also think there should be something to prevent crafting/refining while in town or else people will just use these cities the same as when you could teleport back and forth to townplots. Ie the incentive for me taking my materials out to the hideout is not worth it anymore. The crafting difference in town with focus versus in the outlands is not high enough to warrant the transportation.
    • Neef wrote:

I very much like this idea, I wonder if any of this came from my idea =P. Either way great change! The way the gear "save" system works is genius and also can't wait for the pre-load build system, Great work devs!
      It seems to me to be an improvment by the deves upon your and my ideas, great improvmets from the devs. I love the gear save systems as well!
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester
    • The idea overall is good but I'd make it so people loose their lock also upon entering red maps( or maybe only if going hostile in them), Travelling between hideout's to access islands, city facilities, market etc and been able to move around through blue/yellow zone is a great addition but if you want to stop harassment to low Outlands you might as well stop it in Red zones as well and I don't feel the point of living deep in the new Outlands was having easy access to both deep outlands content and red zone content through a quick click of your mouse.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PeteTong ().

• PeteTong wrote:

The idea overall is good but I'd make it so people loose their lock also upon entering red maps( or maybe only if going hostile in them), Travelling between hideout's to access islands, city facilities, market etc and been able to move around through blue/yellow zone is a great addition but if you want to stop harassment to low Outlands you might as well stop it in Red zones as well and I don't feel the point of living deep in the new Outlands was having easy access to both deep outlands content and red zone content through a quick click of your mouse.
      The reason this won't apply to red zones is that there aren't major objectives in the outlands for players to contest like there are in the low blackzones. Red zone access allows you do to faction warfare, pug hellgates, etc. Giving more players access to red zones will mean more large guilds doing faction warfare regularly, which means more content for royal zone players who can opt into these fights if and only if they want them.
      IGN: DungeonRealms
    • PeteTong wrote:

The idea overall is good but I'd make it so people loose their lock also upon entering red maps( or maybe only if going hostile in them), Travelling between hideout's to access islands, city facilities, market etc and been able to move around through blue/yellow zone is a great addition but if you want to stop harassment to low Outlands you might as well stop it in Red zones as well and I don't feel the point of living deep in the new Outlands was having easy access to both deep outlands content and red zone content through a quick click of your mouse.
      Disagree. The idea is fine as it is.
    • I think the main issue for abuse here is, entire guild/alliance has their homebase in outlands set. Since there appears to be no timer on returning to the Outlands, when their territory comes under attack, the entire guild can portal into the zone through the hideout without the chance of cutting them off or the danger of them having to run there if they were not already there...

The fix for this, is that in addition to using a portal removes the "Travel back to your outland home buff", but also after a designated amount of time (like 30 min) you lose the ability to fast travel back to your outland home. This will only allow the players in the zone or who were in the zone in the previous 30 min , to participant in attacks/defense without having to take a dangerous run back.
    • Jc2008 wrote:

I think the main issue for abuse here is, entire guild/alliance has their homebase in outlands set. Since there appears to be no timer on returning to the Outlands, when their territory comes under attack, the entire guild can portal into the zone through the hideout without the chance of cutting them off or the danger of them having to run there if they were not already there...

The fix for this, is that in addition to using a portal removes the "Travel back to your outland home buff", but also after a designated amount of time (like 30 min) you lose the ability to fast travel back to your outland home. This will only allow the players in the zone or who were in the zone in the previous 30 min , to participant in attacks/defense without having to take a dangerous run back.
      Hate this idea, That is the point of having a hideout, The same can be done by just setting it as your home silly. Also want to point out that some people have a decent amount of islands and it takes longer then 30minutes to do all there farms like me, I have 14 islands and it takes between 1 hour and 2 hours depending on how fast I'm clicking and or watching TV, Still want them damn "Water/Feed", "Take" and "Pickup" keybinds dang it!.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Neef ().

• Obviously support this idea.

Players can play on royals especially those newer players struggling in outlands but can still support the guild settling there when needed. Not to talk about the ability to manage islands and engage in specific content, especially check in with newer members from the guild that would be doing content there until they are more mid-tier BZ+ ready.