Gathering, Refining, and Selling

• Gathering, Refining, and Selling

Hi everyone,

To date, I've went with the advice to put learning points into one gathering profession, and I picked skinning. I've been skinning and selling the raw hides on the marketplace.

However, I just bought a subscription, and I am getting 10k focus points per day. I was wondering if I should start refining too?

I am currently based in Bridgewatch, as skinning is the primary resource there. Martlock has a refining bonus for skinning.

I was wondering should I stock up on hides on my ox, and then make the trip to Martlock for refining my hides?

Also, do people do this journey, for the refinement or do they refine on their own personal island?

Is Martlock a good region then to sell the hides or is there much difference between the cities?

Thanks,
    • Im fiber weaver and gatherer and I usually refine fiber at the city I am with focus (44% return rate). Then I teleport to Lymhurst and refine there at 35% (i buy from the market - but dont buy too much or the price increases and u have to wait several days for it to reset). It is good to help getting to high tier refining and profiting the same way.
    • Thanks. I had a load of tier 4 hides, and I traveled to Martlock from Bridgewatch.

I had to buy a load of lower tier hides on the marketplace just so I could refine the tier 4 hides I had. I used up all my focus, then used the 35% bonus at the 8% cost hide station. That ran out of food and then I used the 9% one.

Just wondering.
      1. Should I give food to the tanning NPC if I am using the stations and how do I do that?
      2. Whats the point of gathering high level tier hides when you need a pile of lower tier hides to make it? Seems kind of strange, but I can see that it puts a demand on lower tier hides too.

I made 300k from 30k focus. I leveled up refining to tier 5 though.

Just wondering if I would have made more selling the hides on Bridgewatch or another marketplace.

I guess it requires good math skills and the patience to work through the numbers.

Maybe I'll just sell the hides in future and setup an island and use focus on that.

I have yet to make an island though.
    • Yoren wrote:

I was wondering should I stock up on hides on my ox, and then make the trip to Martlock for refining my hides?

Also, do people do this journey, for the refinement or do they refine on their own personal island?

Is Martlock a good region then to sell the hides or is there much difference between the cities?
      Yes.

Yes, you get a refining bonus if your island is in Martloc.

Yes, I find that in Martloc the prices are usually a bit higher, not always the case though due to market fluctuation.
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester