Hideouts are incompatible with Personal Islands, here's a good fix!

• Hideouts are incompatible with Personal Islands, here's a good fix!

Hi, so the main struggle I have noticed on our members and alliance after placing and having the hideout on the Outlands, trying to centralize more from them and not from royal cities, is the fact the Personal Islands are making it a daunting task to keep going back and forth to upkeep, the closer to the middle you settle the worse this is and it's not really even gameplay it's just a chore. Farming is a low-progression spec and almost everyone has it on their main character (as it's where they maintain premium anyway) so this is indeed causing more of an annoyance than anything else and it's the only thing that is holding back people from using the hideout as their base of operation.

So here's my suggestion:
      • Add an NPC on the hideouts that allow you to travel to your personal island only, and only naked at that.
      • Add a sort of "portal lock" to force the player to leave their island only from the same NPC, again naked at that, so there can't exist any loophole going from island to elsewhere via travel planner.

This would allow players to maintain their player islands, without daily up to daunting runs to the royal city just to do that one thing. This solution also has no negative impact on the economy as there is no traveling of resources or fast travel from players.

What you guys think?

The post was edited 3 times, last by TheBacon ().

• Neef wrote:

yes, I like this idea, Allowing us to do our farms would be nice, But this would not be easy to add because once you get to your island whats stopping you from leaving your island and going anywhere else? They would need to add some kind of debuff that blocked travel anywhere else but back to the hideout.
      That is exactly the mechanic needed, something like a portal lock that'll flag the player to not be able to use the travel planner and can only use the way to go back to the hideout.

That should be the only complexity of this mechanic, they already have mechanics like the faction flag that already prevents travelling to X cities depending on flag so maybe re-using a sort of thing by flagging the player to a faction that won't have access anywhere by default, defeating the travel planner use.
    • I guess devs took this in consideration when thinking about the hide out implementation and if they didnt added it its because it was intended this way.

Its part of the price for living in the open world. If u want to join this new gameplay u must be aware that living in the outlands means exactly that, being isolated from the cities and their conforts.

Also, guilds dont need to necessarily build hide outs and live in the outlands, its only if they want to. If u think that it is more convenient to live in a royal city for any reason u can keep doing it that way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guilefulwolf ().

• Sgtbloodelf wrote:

and what’s stopping players from just hiding on their island if they are losing their hideout? That would need to be patched to prevent loop holing, naked or not you can just avoid the hideout deaths and then go back in after.
      Or, they could disable the NPC if the hideout is under attack.
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester
    • Korn wrote:

Thanks for the feedback and great suggestion! We had actually considered a feature like that prior to Queen but did not have enough dev time left to implement. We will be looking into this.
      That is great news!

Sgtbloodelf wrote:

and what’s stopping players from just hiding on their island if they are losing their hideout? That would need to be patched to prevent loop holing, naked or not you can just avoid the hideout deaths and then go back in after.

RenKatal wrote:

Sgtbloodelf wrote:

Or, they could disable the NPC if the hideout is under attack.

I don't see a problem with this? An hideout is being demolished to get rid of the hideout, not to kill the people inside, the people inside by mere mechanic will already be teleported when it gets demolished, not outside but to a map border, like what happens to a gvg team you loose your terri.
    • Sgtbloodelf wrote:

And I see that as being easily exploitable it’s a hideout, if it’s destroyed it should force you out, it isn’t like a Terri, it’s a underground base, all it takes is a map border with all your gear on you and your free to go get more or run away, what’s the risk of hideouts then besides the big zergs?
      I think you misunderstood the point of the whole thing of fighting hideouts, it's not to kill people it's to destroy the hideout itself. People can very well place their stuff in the personal stage if it's about to get destroyed, the game mechanic will return to that to them.

It's not something the island mechanic suggested here makes any difference upon, people secure storage, in 4 weeks the game allows them to pay a "fast travel fee" to claim their personal bank from the destroyed hideout.
    • Sgtbloodelf wrote:

There’s a difference between hideouts and terris mate, they aren’t post to be risk free I can run away with loot, personal bank is different from a player, if anything a personal bank from a destroyed hideout can just go to the guild island chest, players not so much, if you invest in that hideout you should lose it blankly.
      If you have a lvl 3 hideout you are going to loose at least 130million+ on upgrade costs that you don't get back. Including guild bank tabs and all the shops if if you don't demolish and safeguard resources.

So yeah, hideouts won't be any cheap loss, the personal bank security is the only being given that isn't a permanent loss so if people were to ever be about to lose the hideout they just throw their stuff on storage, this is why I was saying this mechanic to allow a player to go to their personal island is irrelevant to that situation and causes no exploit.
    • While I appreciate the sentiment of the OP, implementing fast travel from an Outlands exclusively to a personal island will have the following negative effects:
      • Alt spam: everyone who wants to sell farm products can simply use a non-prem alt to move goods off the island to a market (and silver transfers between toons are straightforward), thus such alts will become default.
      • Using focus for farming will gain an inherent (and peculiar) advantage over using focus for refining, since the best farming for most people is done on a personal island, but the best refining is in the royal cities.
      I would simply allow naked fast travel from an Outlands home to anywhere in the royals, with one restriction: you cannot use a realmgate without unsetting your home. That would prevent Outlands power projection issues, and diminish the importance of realmgates (which are still OP).