Hideouts are incompatible with Personal Islands, here's a good fix!

• Korn wrote:

Hey there,

we looked into this problem, here is a proposed solution.

The goal is to make suicide travelling between the Royals and the Outlands possible without giving guilds living in the deep Outlands a strong power projection over tthe zones around the Outland portals.

Short Specs

• Choosing the “last city” respawn option no longer erases my home automatically

• Instead, If I die and choose “Last City” as my respawn option, I get a debuff that says:
        • Using a portal to the Outlands will cause you to lose your home

• The debuff is removed under the following conditions
        • I die (however, it is instantly reapplied if I again choose “Last City” as a respawn option). BUT: dying and respawning at your home will erase the debuff.
        • I enter the Outlands through a portal such that the debuff triggers and my home is erased.
        • I change my home

• Outland cities (Rests) no longer count as “cities” for the “last city” respawn option. The last city respawn will always take you to the Royals. But: you can manually set your home at the Outland cities.

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      • If I die, I’d usually respawn at my home. If I don’t, it’s still better than the current solution
      Home in Outlands

• If I suicide in the Outlands, I can use the respawn last city option. I can then play in the Royals and if I die/suicide there, can respawn at my home in the Outlands without losing my home.
      • I can of course get rid of the debuff by manually changing my home to a place in the Royals - however, I’d then no longer have my home in the Outlands - same effect as before

Looking forward to your feedback.
      I am concerned about the use of a debuff to manage this issue. This game already has a poor UI for players to see all of the debuffs/buffs on a player and adding one more increases the chances that the player would be in a situation where important information gets pushed off into the you have too many buffs/debuffs to display at this time. Other than this issue the above proposed solution would work great for my needs.
    • RenKatal wrote:

Proposed soultion, addendum.
      Thought of this while on my rounds at work.

The Travel Planners have found a way to smuggle people into and across the Outlands, but, they will only do it for a price!

50 k silver for the trip and they won't bring any luggage for you, either from Royal to Rest, or Rest to Rest.

They will bring you back to the Royal Islands for free, again no luggage.

This makes a silver sink on top of allowing players to enter the Outlands, makes it so that the Portals remain important as the free way to the Outlands, and allows players a way to circumvent Portal gankers, for a price!
      Being able to teleport to any hideout instead of only your current home will allow guilds and alliances to move their forces around the outlands in an unfair way. ZvZ on the east coast of the outlands, bank stuff, travel planner to another hideout on the west coast, gear up ZvZ again. This is not a mechanic that is healthy for the game. Whatever solution that we come up with must prevent guilds and alliances from basically teleporting around the outlands at will.

Being able to return to your home hideout still forces them to travel to the next location in the outlands in an approved way.
    • The whole reason we have the portal bind in the first place is to limit power projection of large alliances. If a zerg can be anywhere instantly then there is nowhere for small guilds to fight. The three outland cities are well spread out and would give zergs control over a larger swath of land. That is why fast travel needs to be limited to ONE location. This complicated suicide system is here so that ONE location is wiped if you choose to use the realmgate again. Small guilds without a hideout can choose a blackzone city as their respawn while zergs or larger guilds can choose their hideout.

It is very important to limit fast travel to ONE location in the blackzone or we go back to all of the problems of the old map and ignore why the map was made so much harder to traverse to begin with. It is to limit the power projection of large alliances and their zergs and making choosing a ‘home’ in the blackzone a meaningful choice.
    • Midgard wrote:

Korn wrote:

Hey there,

The goal is to make suicide travelling between the Royals and the Outlands possible without giving guilds living in the deep Outlands a strong power projection over tthe zones around the Outland portals.

Short Specs

• Choosing the “last city” respawn option no longer erases my home automatically

• Instead, If I die and choose “Last City” as my respawn option, I get a debuff that says:

• I die (however, it is instantly reapplied if I again choose “Last City” as a respawn option). BUT: dying and respawning at your home will erase the debuff.
        • I enter the Outlands through a portal such that the debuff triggers and my home is erased.
        • I change my home

• Outland cities (Rests) no longer count as “cities” for the “last city” respawn option. The last city respawn will always take you to the Royals. But: you can manually set your home at the Outland cities.

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      • If I die, I’d usually respawn at my home. If I don’t, it’s still better than the current solution
      Home in Outlands

• If I suicide in the Outlands, I can use the respawn last city option. I can then play in the Royals and if I die/suicide there, can respawn at my home in the Outlands without losing my home.
      • I can of course get rid of the debuff by manually changing my home to a place in the Royals - however, I’d then no longer have my home in the Outlands - same effect as before

Suicide travel isn’t a “solution”. It’s a workaround due to lack of a solution. If you’re going down this route you need to remove suicide from the equation and provide a better mechanism.
      Why? It works just like having to be naked to travel to caerleon through the travel planner NPC. I don't understand why people want a travel planner NPC in every city, Do you know there should be a risk to getting that deep into the outlands. Do you know how close the BZ rests are to the center of the map. Also @RenKatal I understand that may be alot of time to some people but you didn't respond to my other part which clearly said you are already getting naked travel to the rest areas or hideouts, Its just limited to 1 location not many. If you want to be able to get to the outlands fast to do your few hours of gameplay NP, Run to a rest city 1 YES 1 time and set your home, Then after that if your in the royals, on your island or where ever you can /suicide back to that rest city with no problem... Oh you need to do your farms! Np just /sucicide to the nearest city which would be your portal lock city. Now your in the royals, Now your farms are done and you want to return to the blackzone you just /suicide again and spwn @ home which was already set to the BZ rest city. BOOM you traveled instantly there. I don't understand what the problem is, The fix korn talked about fixes all the problem your still talking about. Want to do some PVP in the royals NP you can even /suicide from the BZ back to the royals go out of the city and do some royal PVP or faction then /suicide back to the BZ rest city or a hideout. Really whats the problem???

Outland cities (Rests) no longer count as “cities” for the “last city” respawn option. The last city respawn will always take you to the Royals. But: you can manually set your home at the Outland cities.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Neef ().

• Guilefulwolf wrote:

Changing every single feature of the game just because a lot of people complain even if it is fine is another way to destroy a game. Like when parents spoil their childrens by giving to them everything and doing everything they want.
      You are complaining about something that is being corrected in the game because the players are crying, however this situation that is coming back to the game was something that in the past was removed because the players cried.

There was spoiled kids ask for the changed of the /suicide mechanics in the past, because of Alliances power projection, but they forgot about the negative effects that this change came to cause in the game. Basically they messed with a system in a wrong way and ended up damaging others, which are now being corrected.
      You may not like the idea, but it also means that you don't understand what happened to the game's old Home Plots because of previous changes to /suicide.
    • Korn wrote:

Hey there,

Short Specs

• I change my home

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      Home in Outlands

I like this. :) A newer player can work toward moving their access point into the Outlands, from realmgates to a single Outpost or hideout, without having to give up all the gaming content they've enjoyed in the Royals, as well as everything they've invested there.

The cost is giving up realmgate access, and thus the ability to transport goods to and from the Outlands, and the risk of traveling into the Outlands to set a new home (which, since it's no longer something that needs to be repeated constantly, becomes a more interesting journey: how much, for instance, do you want to risk carrying with you, since it's your one trip to a new home?).

As a cascade effect, all the players who now have a very good reason to travel into the Outlands to set a home (like me) will also suddenly need supplies in the Outlands, which will stimulate the Outlands economy, and trigger more transport missions across the realmgates. These players will also be more present in the Outlands, providing more targets for gankers and more content for PvP.

This effectively trades "bad" content for good. :)
    • Korn wrote:

Hey there,

Short Specs

• I change my home

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      Home in Outlands

I agree with this yeah, no easy fast travel exploiting the point of settling deep on the outlands!

And it would still allow people to not only upkeep their islands and all, but also do red zone content like faction stuff. This is a good solution that resolves the problem that was the initial reason of why "last city" cleared the Home lock.

It also benefits newer players that are having a hard time playing on the outlands still be able to help the guild and play on the royals until they progress enough to self-sustain!

Make it so! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheBacon ().

• @Korn be very careful with lifting the barrier that limits the power of projection please. We all agree that there must be a way to make the islands and live in the black zone but a bad scenario of this could be a disaster with the new OW conquest system.

With this mega alliances could be projected depending on the situations.

Example: We wait in the hideout near Avalon to see if they try to conquer the castles here. Nothing happens, we commit suicide, we prepare in the city, and we go to the castles near the city.
    • OriginalGangster wrote:

Example: We wait in the hideout near Avalon to see if they try to conquer the castles here. Nothing happens, we commit suicide, we prepare in the city, and we go to the castles near the city.
      You can do this just as easily in the current system. In the current system the zerg can still wait in hideouts near Avalon and then suicide back to royals if there is no fight to contest something close to the city.

In the proposed system you can wait in the hideout near avalon and if you suicide to contest a castle near the city your home unbinds when you go through the portal.

The solution proposed by Korn is really the best of both worlds. You can only go use fast travel back to the royals if you only enter the blackzone from your home bind.
    • @OriginalGangster @Zebulas

I don't get your points here. What truly changes here with this proposal as far Outlands play goes? Nothing I see.

If I have my zerg on the hideout /suicide back to the city and we re-enter the Outlands, and go whatever. It's not what @Korn proposed that is going to cause that, it can already be done. The point is, what exactly is the point? I saw the argument about the castles but like inner-circle hideout is in closer reach of castles than any city portal is for example... It's not really attractive anymore with this map design, this proposed solution should work.
    • If under the current system anyone can just suicide and appear in the royal cities instantly to do their island or whatever they want, why was this thread opened? because people is too lasy to not travel back to their hide outs once they r done with their royal stuff, thats the only reason.

It started as a clain to find a way for people to be able to keep their islands income which is reasonable and ended up giving total freedom to live in both the outlands and the royal continent at the same time.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Guilefulwolf ().

• Guilefulwolf wrote:

If under the current system anyone can just suicide and appear in the royal cities instantly to do their island or whatever they want, why was this thread opened? because people is too lasy to not travel back to their hide outs once they r done with their royal stuff, thats the only reason.

It started as a clain to find a way for people to be able to keep their islands income which is reasonable and ended up giving total freedom to live in both the outlands and the royal continent at the same time.
      Its not totally free, If you want to /suicide back to the royals after your done in the royals you have to /suicide back to your home to get back in the BZ, Because if you do use the portal it will remove your home. This system doesn't punish people who need to go back to do there islands which is a good thing, But it does punish people just wanting to get back just to use the portal.
    • I think a solution that would work that would be for there to be a travel planner that can teleport you back to town (naked) and when you arrive you have a 30 min buff, where, you can return to same teleport naked and return to hideout. Stay too long in town and you will have to run back to hideout. But for a quick business in town or at your island, you have 30 min to conclude or refresh your buff.
    • Midgard wrote:

Suicide travel isn’t a “solution”. It’s a workaround due to lack of a solution. If you’re going down this route you need to remove suicide from the equation and provide a better mechanism.
      I don't see the issue with suiciding as a means of travel. It accomplishes the same goal as a travel guy that only works while you're naked, and it doesn't require any additional dev time since it already exists and works. It's a bit immersion breaking, but I'm more interested in new/better content than whether or not my character teleports via travel planner or falls over dead and respawns.

As for the suggestion itself, hell yes pls giv.
    • Zebulas wrote:

RenKatal wrote:

Proposed soultion, addendum.
      Thought of this while on my rounds at work.

The Travel Planners have found a way to smuggle people into and across the Outlands, but, they will only do it for a price!

50 k silver for the trip and they won't bring any luggage for you, either from Royal to Rest, or Rest to Rest.

They will bring you back to the Royal Islands for free, again no luggage.

This makes a silver sink on top of allowing players to enter the Outlands, makes it so that the Portals remain important as the free way to the Outlands, and allows players a way to circumvent Portal gankers, for a price!
      Being able to teleport to any hideout instead of only your current home will allow guilds and alliances to move their forces around the outlands in an unfair way. ZvZ on the east coast of the outlands, bank stuff, travel planner to another hideout on the west coast, gear up ZvZ again. This is not a mechanic that is healthy for the game. Whatever solution that we come up with must prevent guilds and alliances from basically teleporting around the outlands at will.
      Being able to return to your home hideout still forces them to travel to the next location in the outlands in an approved way.
      I never said people should be able to teleport back to their hideouts, unless they have it set as their home when they die, I said there should be Travel Planners at the Rests, Merlin, Arthur, and Morgana. Having Travel Planners would allow you to use your Player Island as long as you are willing to travel to the Rest, and allow you an out of the Outlands if you die too deep in. A cowards way out, if you will.

Guilefulwolf wrote:

If under the current system anyone can just suicide and appear in the royal cities instantly to do their island or whatever they want, why was this thread opened? because people is too lasy to not travel back to their hide outs once they r done with their royal stuff, thats the only reason.

I agree, all I have advocated for is allowing people the ability to anchor their island in the Rests and letting people get back to the royals via a travel planner located at the know re-spawn points, Merlin Arthur and Morgana's Rest.
      I don't understand why people are so dead set against allowing them to be points of access to the Outlands.
      People say that it would give mega alliances more sway over the Outlands, if you make it easier for them to move, you also make it easier for their enemies.
      It shortens the travel time for everyone, not just the powerhouses.

No luggage Travel Planers and anchoring Player Islands in the Rests would spur economic activity in the Outlands, and make some interesting player guild and alliance choices.

Do you want to spread your alliance out over all of the Outlands?
      Are you willing to pay the upkeep of keeping three different caches of gear to do so?
      Or will you take the risk of riding with your gear form place to place, or trying to smuggle it?
      Maybe you start setting up Islands in the Rests to help you manufacture the arms and armor you need?

I agree with @Midgard suicide travel isn't the solution that is needed here, it is overly complex, convoluted, and immersion breaking.

Honestly, how many of you can tell me you understood what @Korn meant in his solution post on the first read-through?

There are already simple systems in place to fix this problem, and the one of being trapped in the Rests, they just need to be utilized.
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester