Hideouts are incompatible with Personal Islands, here's a good fix!

• Roccandil wrote:

Guilefulwolf wrote:

Roccandil wrote:

Guilefulwolf wrote:

U dont HAVE to do it, its ur choose. U can stay in the royal cities and enjoy their conforts or live in the outlands away from them. Why do people expect to have the best of both sides at the same time without any sacrifice?
      That's an arrogant, elitist perspective at odds with the game design and the developers stated intentions for the Outlands.Albion develops new players by bringing them into the Royals and providing options: blue zones, yellow zones, red zones, Outlands realmgates, faction content, massive markets, personal islands. All of these gameplay mechanics are additive: you can base in your island, and do any of them as you want.
      Why should you have to leave all that behind to use an Outlands home? Especially if the developers really want players to use them! All we're basically suggesting is that players be allowed to move their Outlands access point from the realmgates to a single home in the Outlands, at the cost of transporting goods.

I've seen no one give a good reason why that's a bad thing. (Lots of elitism and hand-waving, to be sure, but nothing reasonable.)
      Why do u only quote that part of my post? what about the idea i give of having our own small personal hide out linked to out guild´s hide out with up to three farming plots?U look like u not only want to have access to ur island but to everything else in the royal continent while also "living" in the outlands. Living in the outlands means exactly that, living there and if u want to go to the cities u can travel whenever u want, nothing stops u of doing it.
      Personal hideouts would be nice, but in no way can they solve the real problem: the game encourages players to invest heavily in the Royals.

Blaming those same players for not wanting to give that up (or do a daily riding simulator) to use their Outlands home is extremely incompetent (among other things).

Furthermore, SBI made it plain they wanted players to live in Outlands homes. It is therefore up to SBI to make accommodations, not the players, especially since the resistance to using those homes is due to SBI's own design.
      @Roccandil I don't know why your still going on about this, The devs have already stated they are working on something to help/fix the island problem. I have 14 islands and I am in the blackzone almost 100% of the time, I don't mind going back to the portal which only really takes like 5 mins or less to get to the portal to do my farms for an hour or so then head back. Its not really a big deal. People make it seem like it takes 2 hours or something to run from the center of the BZ to the portal. It does not. And most the time I bet you arn't even @ the more center zones which means you are even closer to the portal. Our guilds hideout is 7 zones from the portal and it only takes 3 to 4 mins to run back.....Not really a big deal....

The post was edited 2 times, last by Neef ().

• Hey there,

we looked into this problem, here is a proposed solution.

The goal is to make suicide travelling between the Royals and the Outlands possible without giving guilds living in the deep Outlands a strong power projection over tthe zones around the Outland portals.

Short Specs

• Choosing the “last city” respawn option no longer erases my home automatically

• Instead, If I die and choose “Last City” as my respawn option, I get a debuff that says:
        • Using a portal to the Outlands will cause you to lose your home

• The debuff is removed under the following conditions
        • I die (however, it is instantly reapplied if I again choose “Last City” as a respawn option). BUT: dying and respawning at your home will erase the debuff.
        • I enter the Outlands through a portal such that the debuff triggers and my home is erased.
        • I change my home

• Outland cities (Rests) no longer count as “cities” for the “last city” respawn option. The last city respawn will always take you to the Royals. But: you can manually set your home at the Outland cities.

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      • If I die, I’d usually respawn at my home. If I don’t, it’s still better than the current solution
      Home in Outlands

• If I suicide in the Outlands, I can use the respawn last city option. I can then play in the Royals and if I die/suicide there, can respawn at my home in the Outlands without losing my home.
      • I can of course get rid of the debuff by manually changing my home to a place in the Royals - however, I’d then no longer have my home in the Outlands - same effect as before

Looking forward to your feedback.
    • I probably have an unpopular opinion but I hate this proposal.

If you take the idea of having a deep hideout in the outlands as a high risk / reward location then I believe you as a player should have to risk moving to and from it on a regular basis. If you live deep then you should have to run the zones from the portal, run the gauntlet of gankers etc. With this mechanic I can pretty much just live in the hideout and very rarely if ever have to run back to a portal unless I need to sell loot.

If your going to do this then why even bother having a requirement with the suicide mechanic, just let people fast travel and be done with it.

Leave it as it is now. If you don't like running through the zones live in the royals.
    • Just an idea, but why not just let islands be linked to hideouts? (With an expensive cost to relocate the island if the hideout is destroyed?)

High tier guilds will be able to access their island daily deep in the BZ while preventing them from moving their resources easily to the royal cities (this especially includes labourers).
      Meanwhile lower tier guilds can simply opt to not risk putting their island in the blackzone making it a safer investment for them.

I think this solution seems much simpler and less abusable...
    • @Drift the point is to only allow fast travel to one location, not three locations distributed through the blackzone. That makes it easier for large alliances to power project without making it easier for casual/small guild players to live in their hideout. People will whine that this makes the blackzone less ‘hardcore’ but the blackzone is also dead right now in a lot of places. A single permanent spawn point will help create content in the blackzone and reduce the horse simulator, both really important for good gameplay.

I really like the change suggested by @Korn. Thank you!
    • I like what korn has suggested. It allows us to /suicide back to the royals to do our farms from anywhere in the blackzone and simply /suicide back to our home (Which would be set to either a hideout or BZ city). Good idea thanks korn!

Though there still is the problem of people being able to send large forces to the royals in the mattter of seconds. The option to allow naked travel to only your island and back would stop this from happening, But Im fine with it either way i guess.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Neef ().

• SBI could also make leaving the city work the same as using a portal (Only would remove your home if you had the debuff), Which would remove your home just like using a portal would, This might help with stopping large forces from just /suiciding to get to the royal to zerg them.

EDIT: Not sure if this is really needed but just an idea.

EDIT2: Going to your island with the debuff would not remove your home, Only leaving the city through a gate or portal with the debuff would remove your home. You also would beable to use the travel planner to go to another city incase your islands are in another city this also would not remove your home with the debuff.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Neef ().

• This can no longer be called living in the outlands if u r not forced to take the risk and time of traveling thru them.

Changing every single feature of the game just because a lot of people complain even if it is fine is another way to destroy a game. Like when parents spoil their childrens by giving to them everything and doing everything they want.
    • Drift wrote:

I probably have an unpopular opinion but I hate this proposal.

If you take the idea of having a deep hideout in the outlands as a high risk / reward location then I believe you as a player should have to risk moving to and from it on a regular basis. If you live deep then you should have to run the zones from the portal, run the gauntlet of gankers etc. With this mechanic I can pretty much just live in the hideout and very rarely if ever have to run back to a portal unless I need to sell loot.

If your going to do this then why even bother having a requirement with the suicide mechanic, just let people fast travel and be done with it.

Leave it as it is now. If you don't like running through the zones live in the royals.
      100% agree.

OceanSpirit wrote:

Just an idea, but why not just let islands be linked to hideouts? (With an expensive cost to relocate the island if the hideout is destroyed?)

High tier guilds will be able to access their island daily deep in the BZ while preventing them from moving their resources easily to the royal cities (this especially includes labourers).
      Meanwhile lower tier guilds can simply opt to not risk putting their island in the blackzone making it a safer investment for them.

I think this solution seems much simpler and less abusable...
      Agree here too.

One thing is to find a way to let people get their islands´ income while living in the outlands and other to simply let people go back and forth without any price for it at all.

The way it is right now is fine and if players had the chance of linking their islands or having small persolan hide outs linked to their guild´s hide out would be perfect.

Allowing this kind of freedom just takes away the feeling of actually live in the black zone.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guilefulwolf ().

• Drift wrote:

I probably have an unpopular opinion but I hate this proposal.

I agree with you completely here, it just sounds like naked fast travel with extra steps.
      You can do it from anywhere in the Outlands, thus eliminating some of the risks of having to travel to the fast travel point.

Either you should have to run to the Portals, if you want to get out with loot or goods, or you could naked fast travel out of one of the Rests.

Drift wrote:

If you insist on fast travel then I'd suggest the following.

1. Keep everything as it is now

2. Allow naked fast travel to the black zone outposts. This will push market economy there and reduce the travel distance for players by many zones.
      Similar to what I was advocating for before, but both allowing fast travel and for players to anchor their Player Islands in the Rests.
      It would decrease the "Horse Simulator" feel of the game.
      Some players only have a certain amount of playtime. I am not advocating removing travel entirely, but it makes for a more enjoyable experience if i have options to meet up with people that don't take hours to accomplish.
      Being able to fast travel into one of the Rests and buy some gear from the market, to play with people in the area would allow for a much quicker initiating Outlands experience.
      If I die, then I get sent back to the Rest where I can naked travel back to the Royal Island, or buy more gear, and head back out.
      If I just want to head back to the Royal Island, now I have to decide if i want to take my inventory with me.
      Do I head for one of the portals, or stash my stuff, and go back naked.

Lanyday wrote:

@Drift the point is to only allow fast travel to one location, not three locations distributed through the blackzone. That makes it easier for large alliances to power project without making it easier for casual/small guild players to live in their hideout. People will whine that this makes the blackzone less ‘hardcore’ but the blackzone is also dead right now in a lot of places. A single permanent spawn point will help create content in the blackzone and reduce the horse simulator, both really important for good gameplay.
      How would having more points of entry to the Black Zone be detrimental to casual / small guilds and their players, Having the Rests as spawn points as well as points of entry/exit makes more sense if you are trying to "Horse Simulator" effect on the game. If you enter a Rest it should become your re-spawn point until you enter another City / Rest.
      Having the Rests linked by no baggage travel allow players more free movement about the Outlands.
      Say that you want to go out and do some Solo dungeoning or gathering.
      Say that the portals in your city are being guarded by a large group of gankers, because unlike in the old Outlands they are way too close together and easy to patrol, all you have to do is slip off to one of the Rests and buy some gear there, and away you are to your chosen content.

The current Outlands paradigm seems to be to closely guard the points of entry. making it next to impossible for solo players to gain entry into them without running into huge ganking groups right at the portals.

The risks are still there, you still have to worry about gankers, I understand, but giving players multiple vectors from which they can approach the problem is far better.
      It give them more agency over their game-play experience.
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester
    • Guilefulwolf wrote:

One thing is to find a way to let people get their islands´ income while living in the outlands and other to simply let people go back and forth without any price for it at all.

The way it is right now is fine and if players had the chance of linking their islands or having small persolan hide outs linked to their guild´s hide out would be perfect.

Allowing this kind of freedom just takes away the feeling of actually live in the black zone.
      Why should anchoring your island in the Outlands only be reserved for people who have access to hideouts?
      If you allow it in the Rests everyone has the ability to get to their island regardless of if they have access to a hideout or not.
      It still requires you to make a trip to the Rest to be able to access your island, thus creating an element of risk.
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
    • Neef wrote:

I find it pretty funny when people say I am riding my horse fucking horse riding simulator.... You guys do know it takes 3 to 4 mins to get to the rest city from the portal...Yeah really thats so much riding took you what 2 hours right?
      Some people have limited playtime, the more travel time you include in your game-play experience the less actual content they get to be part of.
      I understand the need for travel as the game space needs to be big enough to accommodate various activities, but reducing it where you can is a good game design tactic.
      Think Skyrim and its fast travel system.

Players are real people with real time constraints in and out of game.

Adding three more points of entry to the Outlands that anyone can use as long as they are willing to pay the price for it, not having gear with them, is just a good idea.

On top of that, it would allow people the ability to challenge the guilds living in the deep zones, funnily enough, most likely with resources of their own creation, while at the same time creating economic movement in the markets at the Rests.

Ease of access to content, with out removing the risks of said content, that is what I am advocating for.

Create player influx into the Outlands by letting them into it!
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
    • RenKatal wrote:

Neef wrote:

I find it pretty funny when people say I am riding my horse fucking horse riding simulator.... You guys do know it takes 3 to 4 mins to get to the rest city from the portal...Yeah really thats so much riding took you what 2 hours right?
      Some people have limited playtime, the more travel time you include in your game-play experience the less actual content they get to be part of.I understand the need for travel as the game space needs to be big enough to accommodate various activities, but reducing it where you can is a good game design tactic.
      Think Skyrim and its fast travel system.

Players are real people with real time constraints in and out of game.

Adding three more points of entry to the Outlands that anyone can use as long as they are willing to pay the price for it, not having gear with them, is just a good idea.

On top of that, it would allow people the ability to challenge the guilds living in the deep zones, funnily enough, most likely with resources of their own creation, while at the same time creating economic movement in the markets at the Rests.

Ease of access to content, with out removing the risks of said content, that is what I am advocating for.

Create player influx into the Outlands by letting them into it!
      5 minutes is not a long time my friend, The outlands should be a risk to get deep into allowing fast travel to almost the middle is not the answer my friend...Also with the system korn talked about allows you to set your home in the rest cities which in return will allow you to fast travel there...So you already are getting your fast travel option.

EDIT: You only need to travel to the rest city once to set home after that you can get there by just /suiciding from the royals...Or anywhere else infact...

The post was edited 3 times, last by Neef ().

• Proposed soultion, addendum.
      Thought of this while on my rounds at work.

The Travel Planners have found a way to smuggle people into and across the Outlands, but, they will only do it for a price!

50 k silver for the trip and they won't bring any luggage for you, either from Royal to Rest, or Rest to Rest.

They will bring you back to the Royal Islands for free, again no luggage.

This makes a silver sink on top of allowing players to enter the Outlands, makes it so that the Portals remain important as the free way to the Outlands, and allows players a way to circumvent Portal gankers, for a price!
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
    • Korn wrote:

Hey there,

we looked into this problem, here is a proposed solution.

The goal is to make suicide travelling between the Royals and the Outlands possible without giving guilds living in the deep Outlands a strong power projection over tthe zones around the Outland portals.

Short Specs

• Choosing the “last city” respawn option no longer erases my home automatically

• Instead, If I die and choose “Last City” as my respawn option, I get a debuff that says:
        • Using a portal to the Outlands will cause you to lose your home

• The debuff is removed under the following conditions
        • I die (however, it is instantly reapplied if I again choose “Last City” as a respawn option). BUT: dying and respawning at your home will erase the debuff.
        • I enter the Outlands through a portal such that the debuff triggers and my home is erased.
        • I change my home

• Outland cities (Rests) no longer count as “cities” for the “last city” respawn option. The last city respawn will always take you to the Royals. But: you can manually set your home at the Outland cities.

Use Cases

Home in Royals
      • If I die, I’d usually respawn at my home. If I don’t, it’s still better than the current solution
      Home in Outlands

• If I suicide in the Outlands, I can use the respawn last city option. I can then play in the Royals and if I die/suicide there, can respawn at my home in the Outlands without losing my home.
      • I can of course get rid of the debuff by manually changing my home to a place in the Royals - however, I’d then no longer have my home in the Outlands - same effect as before

Looking forward to your feedback.
      Suicide travel isn’t a “solution”. It’s a workaround due to lack of a solution. If you’re going down this route you need to remove suicide from the equation and provide a better mechanism.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter