Battle for Caerleon is over

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Battle for Caerleon is over

Hello everyone,

the battle for Caerleon just finished and while many were busy fighting and enjoying themselves, a lot of you could not partake and did not enjoy the event at all. I'd like to apologize for the bad experience many of you had- we ran the event with the best of intentions, we wanted to give this era of Albion a cool conclusion, but in the end we made two crucial mistakes here:

1. We underestimated the number of players that would show up for the event (due to Albion's strong player numbers recently).
      2. We were not able to dedicate as many development resources as necessary to the event as the entire team was busy with the Queen update proper.

We'll go to bed now to catch some sleep and be ready for the Queen launch tomorrow, but we'll think hard about our mistakes here and use those lessons in future events.

Sincerely,

Robin 'Eltharyon' Henkys
      Game Director
    • And will SBI provide some form of compensation to those in your community who:
      - Died needlessly while being locked in Red/Black Zones due to to population limit lock.
      - Were stuck in the Bank, Auction House and Champion Hall for over two hours waiting for the event to finish up.
      - Never had the slightest chance to get the loot from, see new things in or experience first hand the content of an event that we all in one way or another pay for.
    • Demonicus wrote:

"apologize" - that's it? "lessons in future events"? All player in Carleon and around should get at list 200k prize for trying get to that event. I pay 60k for repair my own gear (i could not get to Carleon for that free gear) beacuce most time i was knocked by avalonian mobs. I demand that recompensation not only for wasting my time!!!
      Someone give this man an Avatar Border for his troubles.
    • GeneralHiro wrote:

Providing compensation in the form of i game currency or items is litrerally free for them and is a super easy way to curb ALOT of the communities negativity. it’s the least they could do.
      I think providing compensation in that way just encourages these sorts of demands and shouldn't be done. It's free for them, but also eats up a lot of support time and just generates additional items/silver that didn't exist before. Hard pass for me, sorry.
      Hailz
    • At least you recognize that the even was terrible. I was honestly thinking that we would get no comment on the shambolic state of whatever just happened there.
      Your game is best played on a small scale. For the love of me I can't understand why you are pushing towards mass fights when it is clear that there massive performance issues when a lot of things and a lot of players are interacting.
      WoW was so massively popular for a few well known reasons to everyone but also because it could be run on a calculator and still work fine. If you can't make large scale fights work then stop forcing them.
      You could instance stuff.
      You could create event missions that would again involve up to 20 players.
      Those are the first suggestions that come to mind.

Loving how the guards were just chilling by the realm gate as if nothing was happening. Meanwhile, the whole story was "defence of Caerleon".

Just...wow...
    • I’m definitely not going to say it was a great event or anything worth the hype for, but I admire the fact that SBI tried to include a cinematically interactive story to their rework of the outlands. Like everyone realizes they could have simply left the event and all avalonians out of the game till tomorrow, and just released queen like they have other updates and patches? So kudos for trying!

Otherwise, I really don’t think anyone deserves any sort of compensation for this blunder. An hour-long special event isn’t what people are paying premium for, it was quite easy to opt out of, the event still offered a unique experience to a lot of players, and plenty of people found ways to turn it into something fun (I’m looking at you Mr. Portal-camping specter jacket). The apology suffices.
      My referral link: https://albiononline.com/?ref=BBEL9TU111
    • Worros wrote:

At least you recognize that the even was terrible. I was honestly thinking that we would get no comment on the shambolic state of whatever just happened there.
      Your game is best played on a small scale. For the love of me I can't understand why you are pushing towards mass fights when it is clear that there massive performance issues when a lot of things and a lot of players are interacting.
      WoW was so massively popular for a few well known reasons to everyone but also because it could be run on a calculator and still work fine. If you can't make large scale fights work then stop forcing them.
      You could instance stuff.
      You could create event missions that would again involve up to 20 players.
      Those are the first suggestions that come to mind.

Loving how the guards were just chilling by the realm gate as if nothing was happening. Meanwhile, the whole story was "defence of Caerleon".

Just...wow...
      Truer words were never spoken!
    • Its fine to try and make a event out of this.

what i dont get and never will get is why you keep making events and design decisions that promote large scale zvz when the game cant handle it, and when the best gameplay is smaller scale.

i will probably never understand it, or if its a tech guy who keeps promising that the game will work just fine.

its the same problem for 4 years or more, and you keep pouring on the one content type that doesnt work in the game.

how about doing more of what you are good at instead :).
    • Eltharyon wrote:

Hello everyone,

the battle for Caerleon just finished and while many were busy fighting and enjoying themselves, a lot of you could not partake and did not enjoy the event at all. I'd like to apologize for the bad experience many of you had- we ran the event with the best of intentions, we wanted to give this era of Albion a cool conclusion, but in the end we made two crucial mistakes here:

1. We underestimated the number of players that would show up for the event (due to Albion's strong player numbers recently).
      2. We were not able to dedicate as many development resources as necessary to the event as the entire team was busy with the Queen update proper.

We'll go to bed now to catch some sleep and be ready for the Queen launch tomorrow, but we'll think hard about our mistakes here and use those lessons in future events.

Sincerely,

Robin 'Eltharyon' Henkys
      Game Director
      I’ve been gaming in mmos for 16+ years and this was without doubt the biggest clusterf@@@ I’ve ever seen.
      I really hope you can learn from it and deliver something in the future, event wise, that will actually work for all participants.
    • There was tons of solutions....
      - More chest on any sites (not only in front of black market).
      - Put differents "invasion points". ( ik the lore was in Caerleon, but i prefer a good event than a narritive. You can handle it to do attractive).
      - Put messages on chat about Caerleon and event issues (first GM message was 20:52 [server hour] saying "go to black market`s chest" ) just amazing.

Im new here but i play lots of MMO and i can feel the guys who play the game for a while.
      Youre waiting for the best event in the game life and was that...

Thats all, enjoy the patch and sorry for my english :)
    • I enjoyed the frankness that everyone has.
      The stream acknowledge there was a lack of planning due to the unexpected scale. The Game director mirrors this acknowledgement. More importantly it makes it clear that going forward we can still do crazy cool events with these new lessons learned. I'm all for games doing whatever in order to spice things up.
      Also I love the idea of the announcer spamming F after the mod said not to. It's like a bunch of people just having a good time not being a stickler for PR speak. Wish I was there for that one. It just all comes across as genuine which is exactly what you want out of a team which is working hard to create new content.

I mean obviously there will still be some form of player limits, but I play MMOs because of the massively multiplayer aspect. Too many games create game worlds to large in which the number of players is so low that you sometimes forget you're not just playing alone. I love in the morning waking up and watching the 30 players running from the auction house to the black market and another 300 people in the town alone. It's a scale I've never seen before and it's cool to be in a world where we can have that many people. Seeing everyone running around all the time, the random groups that run from city to city the animal bodies all over. Actually running into other people doing their own gathering while you do some other resource.

Games need to not be reserved and stop getting comfortable because that's exactly how people get bored and move on. These large events, these named updates. That's how you get new people in the game while retaining the same players you already have. Give people something to talk about, show them these cool events you got to participate in.
      I think Albion has been moving in the direction it needs to. It doesn't all happen over night, and not everyone agrees with everything ( everyone will always disagree ) I enjoy that we can point out what went right and what needs improvement so we can move forward and do something even greater.
    • Thanks for the honest reply. I feel like the intention was good, but the purposeful mechanics of the game do not agree with this style of
      event.

You could have for example made the Black Market guy supply party leaders of 5 member parties with a 'bomb kit' and had them venture out to blow up key Avolonian points of interest. There could have been a global counter that traces how many places we managed to blow up as a community, which would affect the rewards given and caused minor story changes.

I think this style of season conclusions is a good idea, it just needs more planning and consideration.

No apology needed with regards to not having the dev resources, Queen is what everyone was really waiting for. Personally it was the whole trailer and hype that made me expect more than what became of the event. Had I not known about it upfront, i would not have been too bothered about having the event in the first place.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SirFragment ().