Crystal League and where it fails.

    • Crystal League and where it fails.

      Crystal League is in fact simply a trimmed down version of the current GvG system, it has some modified values in terms of how the instance is created for the parties that participate and it is slightly more convenient now that it can be done from cities. What do I mean? I mean that SBI literally only modified a few values such as itempower caps and then polished the exterior to appear as new content.

      Logistically its now easier to do your daily 5v5 for 15 minutes and go back to playing whatever better game that fulfills that craving for real 5v5 deathmatch content. There's still nothing fun to prepare you for that content by the way so good luck.

      But hey, 5v5's arent a target audience within the Albion community! Just look at the participation levels! Barely any of the playerbase actually participates in GvG's, Crystals, 5v5 Hellgates and so forth!

      What a surprise, given the nature of the game, imagine designing a game that literally discourages the content it has, Albion Online has suffered for so long under the GvG system, the entire GvG community, myself included literally has no incentive to bring new people into the content they practice, its incredibly unrewarding to teach someone to GvG and the stakes have always been too high. There never was a true way to engage in full loot 5v5 deathmatch content outside of GvG's and Crystals that was rewarding to a degree where its actually viable as content. Yes Arena's and Scrims are the garbage that the 5v5 community literally had to beg for. And now, just like before, nothing will change. The Crystal League brings no new content, why? Because its the same instance and you can't actually engage in it any more than you could previously, you're still limited to those shitty timers that determine how you can play the game.

      Its no surprise that SBI has chosen to once again ignore the pleads of the 5v5 community in favor of their guild oriented ideologue. Afterall, its not like a large part of the Albion Online playerbase comes from a Dota/LoL background. (Sarcasm heavily implied)

      I don't understand how SBI manages time and time again to get people excited, push content and without failure disappoint. Can you imagine being a company that neglects its community as much as SBI does? It literally takes no example from other succesfull ventures around itself and just tunnel visions itself into the most bland guild oriented sandbox the gaming industry will ever come to see. It's pathetic desire to print a reflection of Eve Online into a different theme and playstyle is the most pointless endeavor I've seen to date.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
    • gmatagmis wrote:

      Your suggestions?
      Have the players decide when they want to engage in rewarding 5v5 deathmatch content rather then having set timeslots. The means of implementation is what SBI should come up with, but honestly, there isn't much work for them to do at all, just have some sense of team/player ranking and process that into the arena queueing system, then incorporate that into crystal league and you're ready to go.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
    • gmatagmis wrote:

      Most will answer, that you have hellgates which are rewarding even with negative winrate.
      Less than 10% of the time you spend on hellgates are actual combat, its mostly just running around looking for gates, PVE, banking loot and regearing. Hellgates can be fun in their own right but they don't really come close to what the game needs in terms of good 5v5 content. You're right though, that is what most people will answer and have answered to me in the past.

      gmatagmis wrote:

      I guess HGs does not offering sufficiently enough PvP action versus time spent.
      Like one single set enounter per ~30 minutes.
      Is it correct?
      It can be less, I've done hellgates quite a bit and you can bring the efficiency to a point where you'll have a fight every 15 minutes. But thats still only 4 fights every hour, also, the playstyle in a hellgate is different to in an actual 5v5 deathmatch. Once again, the content is fun in its own right, its just not real 5v5 content.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Redsaw ().

    • I personally wish for arenas to became viable full-time content also... (In line with RDs/gathering/whatever).
      And in every topic suggesting to make arena rewards unlimited, double reward for healers and give PvE fame for both teams for scoring tickets, instead of tomes at the end.
      I like really intensive 5v5 action with no time overhead.
      I know how it feels bro =)
      WTB skill
    • gmatagmis wrote:

      I personally wish for arenas to became viable full-time content also... (In line with RDs/gathering/whatever).
      And in every topic suggesting to make arena rewards unlimited, double reward for healers and give PvE fame for both teams for scoring tickets, instead of tomes at the end.
      I like really intensive 5v5 action with no time overhead.
      I know how it feels bro =)
      Full loot can be a reward in itself, it also functions as a silver sink and encourages developing skill. Having the crystal league be queue based with ranking systems would likely result in more fights overall. There has to be risk vs reward else the game will inflate even further.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
    • Sure, hellgates is on demand 5v5 content (unless your gate is camped but whatever just kill them).
      However when you get into a hellgate it's one fight. No retreat, just head first. Blow the other team up. Sure there are instances of long fights with multiple engages/disengages. But in the end hellgates are just a death match. Death match game modes can be fun for sure. But the deeper strategical element that gvg / crystal gvg offers with holding points of interest, having players respawn rather than get booted out of the arena adds so much in terms of strategically possibilities.

      And as Redsaw mentioned, a lot of players have some sort of moba background prior to playing Albion. The two most popular ones being LoL and Dota, which both feature gameplay centered around clearing objectives rather than rushing down the team in the most effective way as you would a death match.

      Adressing the issue of "not enough 5v5 interested players" starts with the existence of easy access ON DEMAND ANY TIME content like the rest of activities featured in Albion. Gate keeping content with specific time slots is not the way to grow a community centered around that one activity. Of course there isn't gonna be any interest if it's so hard to be satisfied with what little there is to offer.

      To summarize, hellgates do not equal gvg in difficulty or playstyle. Sbi needs to let players be able to play as many 5v5 instanced gvg esq matches as they want.
    • SirFapsAlot wrote:

      Sure, hellgates is on demand 5v5 content (unless your gate is camped but whatever just kill them).
      However when you get into a hellgate it's one fight. No retreat, just head first. Blow the other team up. Sure there are instances of long fights with multiple engages/disengages. But in the end hellgates are just a death match. Death match game modes can be fun for sure. But the deeper strategical element that gvg / crystal gvg offers with holding points of interest, having players respawn rather than get booted out of the arena adds so much in terms of strategically possibilities.

      And as Redsaw mentioned, a lot of players have some sort of moba background prior to playing Albion. The two most popular ones being LoL and Dota, which both feature gameplay centered around clearing objectives rather than rushing down the team in the most effective way as you would a death match.

      Adressing the issue of "not enough 5v5 interested players" starts with the existence of easy access ON DEMAND ANY TIME content like the rest of activities featured in Albion. Gate keeping content with specific time slots is not the way to grow a community centered around that one activity. Of course there isn't gonna be any interest if it's so hard to be satisfied with what little there is to offer.

      To summarize, hellgates do not equal gvg in difficulty or playstyle. Sbi needs to let players be able to play as many 5v5 instanced gvg esq matches as they want.
      I guess we define Deathmatch slightly differently, I agree with everything you say though, for me, a deathmatch game mode involves dying and respawning to rejoin the same fight. Our definitions of deathmatch aren't the same, but we agree on the same principles.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
    • I believe the Crystal League timer situation today is driven by the fact that they have season points/incremental rewards tied to them. What they could do is still leave that in place but allow a custom death match to be fought at any time. These death matches could be launched similar to the scrim feature today and just would not have any additional rewards tied to them other than the gear of your opponents. This in theory would solve the issue presented in gates where often your opponents are just shit rats looking for PVE fame etc.
    • Well there was a good system.

      Guildwars 1 had it. Was called "hall of heroes".

      Had a reward to create something rare I forgot what it was but it was valuable

      The system worked like that:

      Teams of 8 (but here it could be of 2 or 3 or 5) entered. Then the matchmaking was a pyramid and the winning faction team was called out server wide each 10 mins. A global buff applied for the winning faction, I think access to a special content, like here e.g. Elite Dungeons..

      So each match was limited to 10 mins, winner climbed up. Top level looser out, top level winner stay - a pyramid..

      Imagine broken to Albion:

      Teams of 3 - full loot - engage in 10 min GvG matches, but no regear.. first wipe and out. If no team eliminated, loosing team ported out. Winning team kills loosing team, team can full loot and can bank to a chest..and then winner vs winner top level stays..

      Amazing, GW 1 already had in-game spectator mode, where u could watch actual fights with 5 min delayed

      Good old times, except it was no full loot..
    • There's alot of flaws in that suggestion, for example, the party that gets knocked out is now left without content for the rest of the night. also, these tournaments could be fun from time to time as a community event but not as a continuous program. Also, I doubt you could even get 50 teams to commit to a time period that you're describing.

      My suggestion would be to just make the aforementioned crystal tokens a consumeable to be activated at whatever time (perhaps with some indication of queue time in the crystal league menu before doing so) and then having a queue start to get into whatever tier instance it is. How the ranking works or wether teams pick their own fights after consuming those tokens, I don't really care, it just needs to be our own choice when and how long we want to do a 5v5 deathmatch rather then SBI deciding for us when we get to engage in the content we want.
      Discord: Redsaw#6002

      Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
    • Redsaw wrote:

      There's alot of flaws in that suggestion, for example, the party that gets knocked out is now left without content for the rest of the night. also, these tournaments could be fun from time to time as a community event but not as a continuous program. Also, I doubt you could even get 50 teams to commit to a time period that you're describing.
      My suggestion would be to just make the aforementioned crystal tokens a consumeable to be activated at whatever time (perhaps with some indication of queue time in the crystal league menu before doing so) and then having a queue start to get into whatever tier instance it is. How the ranking works or wether teams pick their own fights after consuming those tokens, I don't really care, it just needs to be our own choice when and how long we want to do a 5v5 deathmatch rather then SBI deciding for us when we get to engage in the content we want.

      So you want Albion 5v5s to be the exact same as a lobby based MOBA, only a deathmatch, where you also loot your enemies?
      Or just like Hellgates, only without having to go enter it in the open world and without having bosses to farm between fights, and some sort of pseudo-ranking so you don't face rats?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Svenblade ().