Adjustments to the Crystal League

• How many combinations of cGvG and GvG are/were there in the last few seasons each day? I looked at the system again, and it looks like you need to have 256 L1 matches to create 1 L9 match. So how many L9 fights will there likely be at the end of the first season?
    Discord: Piddle#7413
    "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
  • Crystal league is going to be fun - I currently enjoy CGvGs a lot!
    However, the time-gating on this mechanic is rather high.

Currently, we spend at least an hour every day prepping for a CGvG match that goes about 7-20 minutes.
    Usually to scrim and practice, we've got to go a lot more.

The amount of coordination required to arrange all 5 people regularly for CGvGs is also a time sink.
    If I may make a suggestion to make entry into CGvGs both more rewarding and fun - Make it so that level 1-3 Crystals can be entered for the full hour of 19-20, allowing you to theoretically get up to 3 wins in a row (however, you cap at 3 across all time slots.) Then make level 4 CGvGs available once per day. Even out the rewards to make sure they are not excessive.

Why do it like this?
    It will make CGvGs feel like daily tournaments, rather than once per day content.
    This will make the content more enjoyable, more action oriented, and give players more chances to feel like they are progressing.

It will be a lot easier to convince players that CGvGs are worth their time exploring as an activity if they can do 3 matches in a row, an hour full of fun competition!

@Retroman
    @PrintsKaspian
  • I'd also like to point out that the rewards for the new CGvGs also seem to be rather low for something that is time gated so heavily.

If the numbers you provided in the dev video are correct, if you win Levels 1-3, per player, you get:
    600k fame per player.
    1.5m silver per player.
    30 season points per player.

That does not seem to compare very favorably to Hellgate rewards, especially when these are limited to once per day per timeslot, require a lot of coordination, and may require multiple item sets.

Also level 4 is only 300k fame per player. That's just about 1 hellgate win?
    Level 9 gives you 30m silver, 10,000 season points, but only 1m fame, or 3 hellgate wins?

The fame rewards seem very stingy.
  • Disregard wrote:

Right now you lose 1 level if you lose at level 3/4/5, in queen you go back to level 1

not really, you can buy tokens and just farm lvl3 salvage lvl4 and repeat

while weaker team in your alliance can sell you lvl2/3 that they dont want to do and only want to farm lvl1s

Its the same now with avoding high lvl towers and only doing lvl 1-2 for 100% wins

The Crystal League provides 5v5 content matching one’s skill level

Then you have memes like that from devs, who think ONCE A MONTH high lvl fight will provide equal skill level content for everyone

The post was edited 3 times, last by tabooshka ().

• tabooshka wrote:

Disregard wrote:

Right now you lose 1 level if you lose at level 3/4/5, in queen you go back to level 1
    not really, you can buy tokens and just farm lvl3 salvage lvl4 and repeat

while weaker team in your alliance can sell you lvl2/3 that they dont want to do and only want to farm lvl1s

Its the same now with avoding high lvl towers and only doing lvl 1-2 for 100% wins

Then you have memes like that from devs, who think ONCE A MONTH high lvl fight will provide equal skill level content for everyone
    Sure you can buy a token, but that sends SOMEONE to level 1. If 1 team wins a tower 5 times and then another team loses the tower, it’s still at level 5, only drops 1 level from 6, but if you lose a level 3 crystal you don’t get a level 2 token, this means that these level 3 towers are much more exclusive, and each tier makes the difference much more drastic, a level 7 tower just means you are +6 in win vs loss, you could be 106-100 in crystals with a level 7 tower but in new system it means you are 6-0 on the token
    IGN: DungeonRealms
  • tabooshka wrote:

I agree with this. The high level rewards are enticing, but the content is extremely infrequent. The low level rewards are barely better than a waste of time, and having one 7-20 minute match per day still feels like it's are going to be underwhelming in other ways too.

Matches are way too infrequent for this to be an attractive feature. It's a lot of work for teams to coordinate 5 players, and low level teams will be doing this for rewards worse than hellgates.

High level teams will rarely see matches that are worthwhile, usually only once per week or month.

They need to scrap the "one match per time slot" and instead make it mini-tournaments that fill each time slot, that go up to 1 to 1 1/2 hours if you win them all.

This would be (1) more fun to play, (2) more rewarding, (3) and way more fun to watch on twitch.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Svenblade ().

• Why not do it like this?
    Daily single elimination brackets levels 1-3, best team of 8 gets a level 4 token.

Every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, level 4 match after the 1-3 bracket, making an even longer tournament.

Once every week, level 5-6 bracket on Saturday (Sunday NA UTC), after level 4 matches.

Then at the end of the season, all teams with a level 7 token participate in a big tournament that spans two weekends. Level 7 eliminations on the first weekend, then the second weekend will be level 8 eliminations that run until only two teams are left, who face off in a level 9 showdown.
  • Ask yourself, is the tournament style of play likely to attract twitch viewers? Is it likely to be fun for the participants? Is it likely to be a more fun style of play than once daily matches?

I can't see the downside. It would likely attract more players and more CGvG participation.

The Devs are intelligent. They can balance the rewards and other minutiae appropriately.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Svenblade ().

• Svenblade wrote:

Ask yourself, is the tournament style of play likely to attract twitch viewers? Is it likely to be fun for the participants? Is it likely to be a more fun style of play than once daily matches?

I can't see the downside. It would likely attract more players and more CGvG participation.

The Devs are intelligent. They can balance the rewards and other minutiae appropriately.
    The problem with the tournament is everyone comes in at level 1 at the same time, nobody can buy a pass to the 3rd around, so the new teams will constantly be fighting the veteran teams and getting a really shitty matchup
    IGN: DungeonRealms
  • This is fair - I was somewhat ambiguous about what I meant when I said tournament - I conceived of it just allowing you to enter multiple times in the same hour timegap - 1 hour being the equivalent to three matches, with a queue system.
    In this way it should still be possible to play lower levels, buy tokens for higher levels to do only higher level matches, and for there still to be enough players that there should be no issues finding matchups.
    Alternatively, you could choose to play it as a true tournament progressing with 1 token through all of the ranks.

Honestly, I'm not married to any particular type of play. Any adjustments could, and probably should, be made to tweak the system.
    The two core components are:

1. People want to play more than 1 match per day. These matches are short and require significant prep, having 3-5 consecutive matches would feel much better than simply 1.
    2. A tournament style of play is super great for attracting viewers and it's *fun* to play in tournament brackets. See casual tournaments in games like Hearthstone (the "arena" mode,), Starcraft 2 (ranked tournament matches every few hours), etc.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Svenblade ().

• What this needs is more opportunity to fight

So more timers, or time windows during which you can sign up

Then for more important fights, especially the one per month, it needs to be best out of 3 match. Would make it epic and not feel like another crystal.

As well as rotate map layouts, same choke map gets really old. It can rotate every month or whatever, just change it up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tabooshka ().

• This new crystal league is pointless, all we wanted was the ability to do continuous full loot 5v5 with some kind of ranked matching system that makes sense.

This is literally the same as what we had previously, except its a little more convenient and the value's have been juggled around a little, just give us arena matching with full loot already.
    Discord: Redsaw#6002

Think before you speak, just because you feel a certain degree of emotion behind your opinion does not make it a fact.
  • I don't know about 24/7 hard ranked, essentially lobby matches, with MMR/ELO ratings. The 5v5 playerbase is obviously not large enough to support that, there's barely enough teams for 5v5 HGs after hours, and that has no ranking.

But I would like to see the matches more accessible so my team can compete with more regularity.

Three matches in a row per day would be significantly better than the proposed solution. Twenty or thirty minute timers would be sufficient for lower level matches, with 20 minute timers resolving in favor of teams with higher points (although most games will be well over by this point.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Svenblade ().