The world still sucks

    • The world still sucks

      New

      Now I know that the outlands will be changing again with the queen update but it doesn’t even matter. The world still sucks. I know this game is labeled an MMORPG but it truly isn’t. When I log into this game all I see is a pvp lobby game. You sit in Carleon and head out into one of many generic and reused square tiles in the world to go kill people and then go back to Carleon to wait until you do it again.

      This game needs an entire revamp on its world. The world needs to have character. There needs to be specific locations that have their own unique look with landmarks and villages and npcs going about their business in towns.

      I hate zoning into a square parcel of this game that has all the same assets used in all the other surrounding squares of the same region and ecosystem. It doesn’t promote a real world where you can explore or feel like is alive.

      I’m probably doing a really terrible job of explaining it all but the world sucks and makes this game just feel like a combat lobby game and not an MMORPG
    • New

      I agree that the game needs more content but just curious, what's stopping you from territory wars or attacking castles which is the main selling point of the game? Are you one of those people in small groups who only PK strictly in the Carleaon portal region? I too would be bored if I was you.

      What's your vision of an "MMORPG" ? Maybe you're just bored because you've already consumed everything Albion Online has to offer after playing it for a long time?
    • New

      Yes, it sucks.

      P.S Even if Devs would only redesign all kind of maps , like in "random dungeons style". And most of them are pretty nice and cool looking. Feeling of the world would be much better. This would be a great first step , after they can add content into this unqiue clasters.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Equart ().

    • New

      Redzone feels very disappointing (for someone who had spent 2+yrs in BZ). But DEVs said they will be working on buffing/changing the RZ once Queen bringsg us outlands. So lets start giving them RZ feedback early on.

      Basically RZ is not about PVP, but about who can abuse the systems the most (abusing portal/tunnel exits/scouts) and abusin the stupid PVP red circle (like chest/helglate) areas. The amount of players doing the stupid "step in to flag, step out to unflag" abuse is silly and its a huge waste of time. IMHO the red "consensual PVP" areas need to be removed ASAP. I can see them insight confusion into new players by not making them want to try real PVP (like in BZ).

      I will be making a separate thread on RZ soon.
    • New

      Oh u forgot the best ..

      Go in yellow zone & have one naked guy faction flag with respawn to a local territory u posses

      Then flag up for PvP non faction... U can now knock down but not kill or loot faction flagged players

      If u knocked it down ask naked friend to come from Terri and finish it..

      Happy risklees looting ..

      Or is this noobtrap meanwhile fixed?
    • New

      This has been a problem for a very long time, I agree the game needs like small town areas in the open world that bring different options or different POE. The main problem is the open world has no life other then random mobs that don't do anything but offer some fame but the problem is there all the same no matter what map you go through. The world doesnt feel more scarey from going to a high level black zone to a low level. There are things they could add to the maps that would give them more of a open world feel then a copy paste feel.

      PS. Im hoping since the queen update is taking so much time that they know they need to work on open world feel and we can only hope they will move toward a more diverse open world.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Neef ().

    • New

      Romsterman wrote:

      I agree that the game needs more content but just curious, what's stopping you from territory wars or attacking castles which is the main selling point of the game? Are you one of those people in small groups who only PK strictly in the Carleaon portal region? I too would be bored if I was you.

      What's your vision of an "MMORPG" ? Maybe you're just bored because you've already consumed everything Albion Online has to offer after playing it for a long time?
      I didn’t make the post to have anything to do with pvp. It’s just that the map itself doesn’t help to make this feel like a unique world that I can go and explore or get lost in. That whole side of the game is missing and it makes the game feel extremely flat.
    • New

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      I didn’t make the post to have anything to do with pvp.
      I see. I was confused because the first half of your post includes problems you have with PvP:

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      When I log into this game all I see is a pvp lobby game. You sit in Carleon and head out into one of many generic and reused square tiles in the world to go kill people and then go back to Carleon to wait until you do it again.
      I probably misinterpreted that but thanks for clarifying.

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      It’s just that the map itself doesn’t help to make this feel like a unique world that I can go and explore or get lost in. That whole side of the game is missing and it makes the game feel extremely flat.
      Aside from that, I do agree with the rest of your statements. I remember when I first played Albion Online and thought very hard about which starting biomes/city I should land in. Unfortunately, I soon realized that all biomes were practically the same and that the entire world lack meaningful landmarks/features. My first hours in RZ and BZ were terrifying but quickly got boring and felt like any other zones.

      You're absolutely right when you say that the game lacks interesting places to explore. There's no true diversity in the maps.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Romsterman ().

    • New

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      Now I know that the outlands will be changing again with the queen update but it doesn’t even matter. The world still sucks. I know this game is labeled an MMORPG but it truly isn’t. When I log into this game all I see is a pvp lobby game. You sit in Carleon and head out into one of many generic and reused square tiles in the world to go kill people and then go back to Carleon to wait until you do it again.

      This game needs an entire revamp on its world. The world needs to have character. There needs to be specific locations that have their own unique look with landmarks and villages and npcs going about their business in towns.

      I hate zoning into a square parcel of this game that has all the same assets used in all the other surrounding squares of the same region and ecosystem. It doesn’t promote a real world where you can explore or feel like is alive.

      I’m probably doing a really terrible job of explaining it all but the world sucks and makes this game just feel like a combat lobby game and not an MMORPG

      I think I agree! :) Some points:

      1) If Queen results in guilds basing in the black zone, you won't be sitting in Caerleon waiting to go out and kill people, backed by a near-infinite market. Instead, you'll have to provide everything locally at your base, and make warfare decisions based on geographical proximity to your base.

      For that reason, I think the existing map assets will get a new functional look: the game won't simply be about running from a realmgate through maps to get to your point objective(s) for the day. The country will matter more, who lives where will matter more, and proximity of specific resources to your base will matter more.

      2) The map already has unique locations with NPC factions, but as you say, they aren't "alive". They're merely static, and I'd love to see the NPC factions and mobs become more dynamic.

      For example, perhaps if Keepers are left alone too long, they'll form a Horde to go attack a different mob faction on a neighboring map (along with any players they encounter). :) If they win, that map becomes a Keeper-run map!

      At any rate, the Queen update seems to be a building block for future updates, and I think it's headed in the direction of a better overall world, so I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out.
    • New

      Problem is mobile market... I understand that if Devs will add more unique texture models ( and i bealive they can , even if it takes lots of time) - you will need much more space on your device , which is bad for mobile gaming. And if im not mistaken it can affect perfomance too. Thats why I think nothing will be changed in near future, hope im wrong.


      In this case we need epic content-gameplay, meanwhile i do not see neither of this.(only "plans"/ideas/rumors)

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Equart ().

    • New

      Roccandil wrote:

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      Now I know that the outlands will be changing again with the queen update but it doesn’t even matter. The world still sucks. I know this game is labeled an MMORPG but it truly isn’t. When I log into this game all I see is a pvp lobby game. You sit in Carleon and head out into one of many generic and reused square tiles in the world to go kill people and then go back to Carleon to wait until you do it again.

      This game needs an entire revamp on its world. The world needs to have character. There needs to be specific locations that have their own unique look with landmarks and villages and npcs going about their business in towns.

      I hate zoning into a square parcel of this game that has all the same assets used in all the other surrounding squares of the same region and ecosystem. It doesn’t promote a real world where you can explore or feel like is alive.

      I’m probably doing a really terrible job of explaining it all but the world sucks and makes this game just feel like a combat lobby game and not an MMORPG
      I think I agree! :) Some points:

      1) If Queen results in guilds basing in the black zone, you won't be sitting in Caerleon waiting to go out and kill people, backed by a near-infinite market. Instead, you'll have to provide everything locally at your base, and make warfare decisions based on geographical proximity to your base.

      For that reason, I think the existing map assets will get a new functional look: the game won't simply be about running from a realmgate through maps to get to your point objective(s) for the day. The country will matter more, who lives where will matter more, and proximity of specific resources to your base will matter more.

      2) The map already has unique locations with NPC factions, but as you say, they aren't "alive". They're merely static, and I'd love to see the NPC factions and mobs become more dynamic.

      For example, perhaps if Keepers are left alone too long, they'll form a Horde to go attack a different mob faction on a neighboring map (along with any players they encounter). :) If they win, that map becomes a Keeper-run map!

      At any rate, the Queen update seems to be a building block for future updates, and I think it's headed in the direction of a better overall world, so I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out.
      I don’t agree that the game currently has unique location due to the way the land and map have been created. Yes there are unique names locations but none of them are truly unique or different from one another that share a biome.

      Like just to throw an example out there from world of Warcraft (a big one most people will recognize) when you walked to stranglethorn vale You knew you were in the vale. It was a dense and lush jungle with ruins scattered about it and booty bay at the very southern most part of the map. The zone had character and this feeling and design is missing from Albion online.

      Give me less parcels of land but make the few you do have bigger with their own unique look and have your strategic pvp points within it. I know that this will never happen due to them supporting mobile tho so it’s all a bunch of feedback and talk for nothing unfortunately
    • New

      Yes unfortunately I feel the Devs insisting on making this also a mobile friendly game handcuffs them a lot on what could be a much better version of the game. Also at this point the mobile thing makes no sense the tiny portion that even do it just use it to do farms quick they do not actually play the game on mobile.
    • New

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      Roccandil wrote:

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      Now I know that the outlands will be changing again with the queen update but it doesn’t even matter. The world still sucks. I know this game is labeled an MMORPG but it truly isn’t. When I log into this game all I see is a pvp lobby game. You sit in Carleon and head out into one of many generic and reused square tiles in the world to go kill people and then go back to Carleon to wait until you do it again.

      This game needs an entire revamp on its world. The world needs to have character. There needs to be specific locations that have their own unique look with landmarks and villages and npcs going about their business in towns.

      I hate zoning into a square parcel of this game that has all the same assets used in all the other surrounding squares of the same region and ecosystem. It doesn’t promote a real world where you can explore or feel like is alive.

      I’m probably doing a really terrible job of explaining it all but the world sucks and makes this game just feel like a combat lobby game and not an MMORPG
      I think I agree! :) Some points:
      1) If Queen results in guilds basing in the black zone, you won't be sitting in Caerleon waiting to go out and kill people, backed by a near-infinite market. Instead, you'll have to provide everything locally at your base, and make warfare decisions based on geographical proximity to your base.

      For that reason, I think the existing map assets will get a new functional look: the game won't simply be about running from a realmgate through maps to get to your point objective(s) for the day. The country will matter more, who lives where will matter more, and proximity of specific resources to your base will matter more.

      2) The map already has unique locations with NPC factions, but as you say, they aren't "alive". They're merely static, and I'd love to see the NPC factions and mobs become more dynamic.

      For example, perhaps if Keepers are left alone too long, they'll form a Horde to go attack a different mob faction on a neighboring map (along with any players they encounter). :) If they win, that map becomes a Keeper-run map!

      At any rate, the Queen update seems to be a building block for future updates, and I think it's headed in the direction of a better overall world, so I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out.
      I don’t agree that the game currently has unique location due to the way the land and map have been created. Yes there are unique names locations but none of them are truly unique or different from one another that share a biome.
      Like just to throw an example out there from world of Warcraft (a big one most people will recognize) when you walked to stranglethorn vale You knew you were in the vale. It was a dense and lush jungle with ruins scattered about it and booty bay at the very southern most part of the map. The zone had character and this feeling and design is missing from Albion online.

      Give me less parcels of land but make the few you do have bigger with their own unique look and have your strategic pvp points within it. I know that this will never happen due to them supporting mobile tho so it’s all a bunch of feedback and talk for nothing unfortunately

      Graphical diversity is all right in its way, but for me the "ooh, shiny!" wears off quickly, and over time I primarily see the gameplay diversity.

      Albion already has multiple graphical biomes (with I think at least two versions of those biomes each?), plus maps with huge static dungeons or world bosses, but what bothers me is that they all -play- the same. There's little, if any, functional diversity: on every map you gather resources, dodge mobs, see dungeon entrances, gates, etc.

      The good news is that biome gameplay diversity could (theoretically) be implemented without adding a mass of new textures. :) And again, if nothing else, I suspect the direction Queen offers of realistically living in the Outlands will present the existing assets in a new way, and provide something to build on.
    • New

      Tabor wrote:

      Yes unfortunately I feel the Devs insisting on making this also a mobile friendly game handcuffs them a lot on what could be a much better version of the game. Also at this point the mobile thing makes no sense the tiny portion that even do it just use it to do farms quick they do not actually play the game on mobile.
      but even EVE Online is coming to mobile, haven't you heard?

      The industry-wide hype train is real...
    • New

      Jbirdx90 wrote:

      This game needs an entire revamp on its world. The world needs to have character. There needs to be specific locations that have their own unique look with landmarks and villages and npcs going about their business in towns.
      This sentiment is nice, but Albion is not NPC / Quest Giver driven the majority of NPCs 'run' the player owned shops.

      I think the hideouts will provide more of this feeling, but the information is tight lipped, it sounds as tho non guild players may be able to enter hideouts and they could be trade hubs and meeting places, i think this would be great because the "visiting" of other players islands is just dumb they are all the same, and why put taxes on island crafting people will just stay in town... islands never made sense to me, the Market in hideouts could be a way to achieve a player driven economy because price controls will have little meaning when the luxury of regearing without going to town is something you would pay for saving the 5 zones of running um yes please.

      I would point out also, i had not been near the "cross" towns for a while then i saw outside them there are some random buildings in the blue zones which is interesting at least to see crafters in the zone... I do not know where SBI was taking this idea i have seen openworld buildings mentioned places on the forums before, i like the idea, but Any open world buildings that can be constructed by players are difficult.

      1 space is a premium if everyone made 1 there would be no walking
      1.1 how to fix?
      1.2 limit how many there could be ... maybe
      1.3 make them costly i can see this
      1.3.1 also make them destructible - this is hardest with 24 hour servers - the attack happening 24 hours later is reasonable, Or it could be just unproductive to attack
      1.3.2 unproductive attack, to destroy something having the destruction 1 alert guards then 2 take a prohibitive amount of time and risk - have players use demolition hammers -probably T8 depending on if its a full built T8 building is why then make it take 1 person say 3 hours of hammering to take it down 10 players take 18 minutes of hammers now this means unless you really want that spot where the building is you wont destroy it. But since space is a premium you may still choose to spend alot of time and resources to take over the area.
      Attackers would be able to do small amount of damage each day for a long time if they choose, the owner would have to sink resources to repairs to avoid the demo

      Result the buildings are too risky for most players, people dont want to take the time to remove the few buildings that do get built, low amount of buildings are made. thus problem fixed but many players would probably bitch "the buildings in open world arent profitable fix it" when really the only way they would be is as stated above few of them are ever made. It is the whole problem with island farms, they do OK but each single player does not make too much money off them.
    • New

      blappo wrote:

      I do not know where SBI was taking this idea i have seen openworld buildings mentioned places on the forums before, i like the idea, but Any open world buildings that can be constructed by players are difficult.

      If I were implementing open world player homes, I'd consider a feudal-like system:
      • Add individual home plots to the open world
      • Players can claim and build on one open-world home plot per account
      • Open-world homes cannot be raided/destroyed
      • Player-claimed open-world homes, however, are a resource that guilds can then claim/flag on a higher level (perhaps providing taxes and/or season points)
      • Guilds can then fight over who gets the taxes from a home
      I can see the following positive effects:
      • Players would not be discouraged by raiding/destruction from building and living in the open world
      • Guilds would be encouraged to attract players to their areas, to build up claims to provide more taxes
      • Active plots would be another source of zvz open-world warfare
      I can see the following negative effects:
      • Evicting a troublesome tenant might be impossible
      • Building areas would be limited (though perhaps static-dungeon like areas could be co-opted for his purpose, with more levels, to provide scalability)
      • Taxes might discourage players from using the plots (assuming guilds could vary tax rates, and that the taxes actually came from the player in the home, and weren't simply a silver or season point fountain)
      • Tenants in claims flagged by an enemy guild/alliance could be in a tight spot
      • Alt abuse would be real
      I think it would be doable, but yes, it would be difficult to balance. :)