Smaller Guilds and Merging

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Smaller Guilds and Merging

Hello Albion,

I had some general questions, aimed at the smaller guilds of Albion. I'm hoping to hear feedback from officers and GM's of guilds with 15-100 players. Over the course of the past few months I've noticed how to difficult it is to actively recruit in-game. Based off of the season rankings there were over 800 guilds during s7. My questions are focused on a few core concepts, and it would mean a lot to hear from you all.
      My Right hand, and a few of my officers have reached out to several guilds to get input, but we've been kind of shouldered.

1.) What stops you from merging with other, like-minded guilds to expand your player base?

2.) Do you struggle with active recruitments?

3.) How do you plan to thrive once the new update comes out?
    • I have been of GM of a guild in S7. (0ne Piece).

What was the point, why we don't merge?
      1. Identity...Like we care about One Piece and anime...we know that a guild who want us to merge care about winning...and forcing content and is not about fun.

1.1 Usually small guilds are groups of friends who play casually...having fun together...
      they don't want get orders or to be smashed potato with a mass of strangers.

1.3 What will turn me off is...lack in defining the goals of the guild...lack of organizations(messy discord)...people refusing feedback...or who don't want to discuss stuff.

2. Personally i struggled with recruitment because of time/not having to much to put into that.
      But i get that any guild struggle with that and they decide that will be better to recruit other guilds to merge.

2.1 Advice about recruitment(is not easy):
      -is not enough to spam in recruitment chat/discord/forum
      -is not enough to make a video claping noobs
      or funny videos with memes...trying to prove that your guild is cooler.
      -valuable recruitment will come from people you talk in game...the people you interact...knowing their goals and being helpful.

3. I don't like the idea of merging guilds = because that idea will come from greedy people or people who try to manipulate other people for own benefit.

3.1 If you like the idea of merging you should join yourself a bigger guild...instead of forcing or threat smaller guilds.

3.3 My plan for next season is to chill and teach as many(newbs) as i can about the game.
    • xcruciful wrote:

I have been of GM of a guild in S7. (0ne Piece).

What was the point, why we don't merge?
      1. Identity...Like we care about One Piece and anime...we know that a guild who want us to merge care about winning...and forcing content and is not about fun.

1.1 Usually small guilds are groups of friends who play casually...having fun together...
      they don't want get orders or to be smashed potato with a mass of strangers.

1.3 What will turn me off is...lack in defining the goals of the guild...lack of organizations(messy discord)...people refusing feedback...or who don't want to discuss stuff.

2. Personally i struggled with recruitment because of time/not having to much to put into that.
      But i get that any guild struggle with that and they decide that will be better to recruit other guilds to merge.

2.1 Advice about recruitment(is not easy):
      -is not enough to spam in recruitment chat/discord/forum
      -is not enough to make a video claping noobs
      or funny videos with memes...trying to prove that your guild is cooler.
      -valuable recruitment will come from people you talk in game...the people you interact...knowing their goals and being helpful.

3. I don't like the idea of merging guilds = because that idea will come from greedy people or people who try to manipulate other people for own benefit.

3.1 If you like the idea of merging you should join yourself a bigger guild...instead of forcing or threat smaller guilds.

3.3 My plan for next season is to chill and teach as many(newbs) as i can about the game.
      Thanks for the feedback! Those are some very interesting perspectives. Personally, we branched off to make our own guild because we didn't like the abuse that members were subject to in larger guilds.
    • "Personally, we branched off to make our own guild because we didn't like the abuse that members were subject to in larger guilds."

There are many others like you who get bored about abusive guilds and forced content.

The flaws with big guilds is they can't stay intouch with all the members. You can talk with them.

Because recruiting players from guilds should be more popular.
      You have this interesting tool:
      tools4albion.com/guild_members.php
    • New

jwhite179 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! Those are some very interesting perspectives. Personally, we branched off to make our own guild because we didn't like the abuse that members were subject to in larger guilds.
      I would say the question could be easily flipped around and asked why you haven't merged your guild with another smaller guild of like-minded players?

Generally speaking, I've found most of the time it's either a desire to have their own community that they built from the ground up or pride (or some combination of the two). My guild is actually the product of a super successful merger that happened back in December 2017 and we have players from both of those original guilds that still play and hold leadership positions to this day. Most people get really comfortable with their community of players and they don't want to jeopardize that in mixing it with people that are potentially toxic. Or sometimes it's officers that don't want to give up control (or share control) of something they feel they've built.

You should ask yourself why you're having officers reach out to other guilds asking them to merge with you, instead of the reverse of trying to join them. The answer to that question will likely be the same reason that you're not getting much of a response rate with your requests.

Edit: Also in terms of recruitment, if you're newer to running a guild, you're going to learn that that upwards of 80-90% of new players you bring into your guild will not be playing Albion in three months. Not like they left to go to other guilds (although some will), but just not playing the game anymore. We bring in new players all the time, but just realize that the amount of time you invest there you're only likely to retain 1 in 10 of those players for the long term. Less if your guild activity is low. I personally love Albion, but it's a niche game, so only a very small minority of players make it from new player to active veteran.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vindrax ().

• New

Vindrax wrote:

jwhite179 wrote:

I would say the question could be easily flipped around and asked why you haven't merged your guild with another smaller guild of like-minded players?
      Generally speaking, I've found most of the time it's either a desire to have their own community that they built from the ground up or pride (or some combination of the two). My guild is actually the product of a super successful merger that happened back in December 2017 and we have players from both of those original guilds that still play and hold leadership positions to this day. Most people get really comfortable with their community of players and they don't want to jeopardize that in mixing it with people that are potentially toxic. Or sometimes it's officers that don't want to give up control (or share control) of something they feel they've built.

You should ask yourself why you're having officers reach out to other guilds asking them to merge with you, instead of the reverse of trying to join them. The answer to that question will likely be the same reason that you're not getting much of a response rate with your requests.

Edit: Also in terms of recruitment, if you're newer to running a guild, you're going to learn that that upwards of 80-90% of new players you bring into your guild will not be playing Albion in three months. Not like they left to go to other guilds (although some will), but just not playing the game anymore. We bring in new players all the time, but just realize that the amount of time you invest there you're only likely to retain 1 in 10 of those players for the long term. Less if your guild activity is low. I personally love Albion, but it's a niche game, so only a very small minority of players make it from new player to active veteran.
      That's a fair point of view. Truth be told, most of the guilds that I've reached out to don't really offer much. In terms of experience, combat, crafting, or even a direction.

While it's my first time being a GM in Albion, I've been a right hand of two other guilds, and an officer of all the ones I've been in, except for Broke Boys. Back a few months ago, we attempted a merge with some guilds in BMATS. They were community guilds that had been playing multiple games together over the years. When it came to ZvZ, they were terrible (they claimed to have been trained by Kingmojo himself, but I wont get into that). Structurally, it was a dictatorship over a democracy. Even when it came to educating their newer players on how to financially sustain themselves- they lacked.

When our core decided to break off and start something fresh, we brought with us ALL of our collective resources, money, and sets. Instead of demanding from our members, we try to provide for them from the start. ZvZ reimbursements, and free sets for cGvG and HG's. The guild resources are available for members to spec up refining, or to work on crafting sets for events. Which from what i've seen, not many smaller guilds can actually provide.