Market: show item prices in all cities

• Adrivan wrote:

MedievalHistory wrote:

Not really your idea op. I brought this very same issue up over 2 years ago... no idea why a mod locked my thread, but here it is.

NEW IDEA FOR MERCHANTS - AH Price Checker Station in Every Major City.
      Ye, because I definitely checked threads opened 2 years ago to see what ideas I can steal....
      Perhaps it was a provocative choice of words to say it "wasn't your idea", as two or more people can come up with the same idea independently, I'm reasonable enough to understand that. I don't operate in a world where I'm constantly worried about hurting someones 'fee-fees' (feelings) or offending their sensibilities, so I sometimes forget how fragile everyone's egos are around here; as you can tell by my post count, I don't participate often. This place is generally great entertainment because most of the forum posts read like a textbook case on the "Dunning-Kruger effect."

While our intended goal is vastly similar Adrivan, there are slight differences in our approach to the extent you could argue our ideas are different, fair enough. Though I did point out I raised this issue before with little fanfare. All these years later SBI still doesn't seem too keen on the prospect of a multi-city price checker tool built into the game. I had hoped they would be more inclined to give it another look.
      "Your friendly neighborhood gatherer tard."

The post was edited 1 time, last by MedievalHistory ().

• Adrivan wrote:

MEATCUP wrote:

Do you want just one auction house price? Cuz this is how you get one.

I do believe that the people who trade market flip and support this change will be reducing their potential income, not increasing it.

The people that come out of this on top would be the whales resetting market prices in any discount city, not transporters.

Next up there would be a little window that shows the fast travel cost so you’d know if you could insta-buy and flip for no risk at all.
      Fast travel with any significant amount of resources on you is never worth it. The differences between cities is not that huge.This will indeed contribute to equalizing prices between cities, but only as long as people keep trading. That means there will be constant trading to keep these prices equalized. If not enough people are trading, significant differences will appear once again.

It is up to the players to decide if trading is worth their effort or not. If players decide its not worth their effort, then price differences will increase and players will find it is worth trading again.
      Not saying the idea is terrible but it is totally against the design of the market system with being LOCAL.
      By doing this you basically make markets not local and they should remain the way they are in that respect. Saying it is a waste of time is a lazy mans excuse. A man/woman saying Oh if I just check here maybe I can make an easy buck. Big difference and the difference is lazy vs ambitious. Lets not reward the lazy looking for a work around while others are actually trying to make money and putting in the work.
    • Xezqez wrote:

Not saying the idea is terrible but it is totally against the design of the market system with being LOCAL. By doing this you basically make markets not local and they should remain the way they are in that respect. Saying it is a waste of time is a lazy mans excuse. A man/woman saying Oh if I just check here maybe I can make an easy buck. Big difference and the difference is lazy vs ambitious. Lets not reward the lazy looking for a work around while others are actually trying to make money and putting in the work.
      This does not change anything in how the game works or the market economy. It shortens the time to check a price. That's maybe 1% of the effort. The rest 99% is actually buying items and moving them to another city (and risk getting ganked if you go to carleon or take shortcuts through red tunnels) then waiting for them to be sold there.

Some people here are making it a huge deal when in fact it is not that big of a change. But it does remove an annoyance for everyone and encourages more trade.
    • Dunno why some people are understanding it like "you can buy from/sell to any market you want with just one click!".

You will still have to buy shit and travel, you know? Or people just fucking love to get naked and run to all cities?

Most of the people that cant be arsed to travel and check rn will still be the people that wont be arsed to make the trip if this change was made.
    • I'm against this.

The job of checking is part of the market game.

Albion Online Data Project is more than enough for people to have an idea of the prices.

If someone has their own sheets of particular information and, with it, makes money more efficiently so be it. They did put more effort into it and deserve the extra silver.
    • ImaDoki wrote:

I'm against this.

Albion Online Data Project is more than enough for people to have an idea of the prices.

If someone has their own sheets of particular information and, with it, makes money more efficiently so be it. They did put more effort into it and deserve the extra silver.
      And with this change, its no longer part of the market game. BOOM! Get rekt.
      If it wasn't part of the game, what argument would you have FOR adding it?
    • Adrivan wrote:

ImaDoki wrote:

I'm against this.

And with this change, its no longer part of the market game. BOOM! Get rekt.If it wasn't part of the game, what argument would you have FOR adding it?
      It's a local market. So you have to check it local.

If there are peddlers on your street, do you think you can check their prices in another city?

Making things too easier will just make this game more boring.

Why don't you guys just suggest all AH are connected? If you just want things to be so easy.

You need around half a minute per city to check the price of one thing. This simple task already adds complexicity to the market.

i'm all up for adding more complexity to the game to promote more activities, not the opposite.
    • ImaDoki wrote:

If there are peddlers on your street, do you think you can check their prices in another city?
      So following the same logic, i would guess you can't send a message to a player unless he's next to you, right?
      No wait, messages are sent globally.

That's what prices are. A message. Not a physical good. You basically send a message to Martlock's auctioner and ask the price of item X. He send you the reply and you see those prices in the UI.
    • I think if everyone would be able to see the exact prices in every town it would hurt the traders in the long run because the best deals would be visible to everyone and picked up really fast. At the moment you need to put some effort in getting the data you need. IMO having local markets allows traders to be mutch more efficient if they put the effort in it. But I'm new so I don't know mutch about the game at the moment this is just my thought.

I would encourage everyone to use the Albion Online Data Project to share marketdata.
    • Adrivan wrote:

ImaDoki wrote:

So following the same logic, i would guess you can't send a message to a player unless he's next to you, right?No wait, messages are sent globally.

That's what prices are. A message. Not a physical good. You basically send a message to Martlock's auctioner and ask the price of item X. He send you the reply and you see those prices in the UI.
      So gather your friends, put one in each city and each of you send info to each other 'globally'.

I said 'peddler' instead of 'internet market' for one reason. There are things that are global, and some that are local.

Like i just said. Just suggest a GLOBAL AH instead of 'let me check all LOCAL prices anywhere'.

Information is way more important than any physical good.
    • ImaDoki wrote:

Like i just said. Just suggest a GLOBAL AH instead of 'let me check all LOCAL prices anywhere'.
      Information is way more important than any physical good.
      Why do we have to go from one extreme to the other? No, i dont want to suggest a global AH.
      My suggestion is to show prices, but keep goods local. We can disagree, it's fine. That's why we discuss.

N3XUS wrote:

I think if everyone would be able to see the exact prices in every town it would hurt the traders in the long run because the best deals would be visible to everyone and picked up really fast. At the moment you need to put some effort in getting the data you need. IMO having local markets allows traders to be mutch more efficient if they put the effort in it. But I'm new so I don't know mutch about the game at the moment this is just my thought.

I would encourage everyone to use the Albion Online Data Project to share marketdata.
      If you encourage everyone to use the albion online data project, then this suggestion is not even necessary anymore. You kinda contradicted your text above.
    • Adrivan wrote:

Why do we have to go from one extreme to the other? No, i dont want to suggest a global AH.My suggestion is to show prices, but keep goods local. We can disagree, it's fine. That's why we discuss.

N3XUS wrote:

I think if everyone would be able to see the exact prices in every town it would hurt the traders in the long run because the best deals would be visible to everyone and picked up really fast. At the moment you need to put some effort in getting the data you need. IMO having local markets allows traders to be mutch more efficient if they put the effort in it. But I'm new so I don't know mutch about the game at the moment this is just my thought.

If you encourage everyone to use the albion online data project, then this suggestion is not even necessary anymore. You kinda contradicted your text above.
      Yes, we can disagree, and that is healthy.

It's not about being extreme. In my opinion, i'd rather have stuff being dealt locally than globally. The information (in this case, the prices) and the goods.

The way it is now, people that puts more effort profit more.

If a single group of players that craft / market togheter use albion online project data togheter they can basically achieve something close to your suggestion, as you just said.

However, i don't use Albion Online Data because i don't want everyone to know every good deal that is in the market, since they will stop being good deals shortly after this info is spread.

I like playing as Scout, so i know the value exclusive information has. This is true in wars (mostly zvzs and ganks i play as scout) and in the market.
      Providing a global price list will just ruin this part of my fun, so i'm all against this.
    • ImaDoki wrote:

Yes, we can disagree, and that is healthy.
      It's not about being extreme. In my opinion, i'd rather have stuff being dealt locally than globally. The information (in this case, the prices) and the goods.

The way it is now, people that puts more effort profit more.

If a single group of players that craft / market togheter use albion online project data togheter they can basically achieve something close to your suggestion, as you just said.

However, i don't use Albion Online Data because i don't want everyone to know every good deal that is in the market, since they will stop being good deals shortly after this info is spread.

I like playing as Scout, so i know the value exclusive information has. This is true in wars (mostly zvzs and ganks i play as scout) and in the market.
      Providing a global price list will just ruin this part of my fun, so i'm all against this.
      I get it, it's a fair point. It's just that the way I see it there are two kinds of effort: there's the effort that involves making decisions, a risk-reward relation and some sort of progression. And then there's meaningless "effort" which is just there to fill time and requires absolutely nothing from my part other than to look at the screen with dead eyes. The first type of effort includes looking up different items, deciding what is worth refining, what is worth using focus for, what is worth crafting, etc. The second type of effort, is me putting my brain on pause and moving to the travel planner then to the market then to the travel planner then to the market (with plenty of loading screens in between) and then unpause my brain again.

Does it take more of my time? Yes it does, so it is an extra effort, that part is true. But I hope you understand what i mean, it's not a satisfying kind of effort that you want from a game.
    • The albion online data project will never be 100% accurate on all items. To get the full information you have to open the item otherwise you just see sellprice. I like to have this "Fog of War". But having some information to get an idea about the prices is great. I'm not against the idea of having all the info I even liked this initial post but I have not enough knowlage about the game and the systems to tell if things will become better or worse for traders.

The post was edited 1 time, last by N3XUS ().

• Adrivan wrote:

Xezqez wrote:

Not saying the idea is terrible but it is totally against the design of the market system with being LOCAL. By doing this you basically make markets not local and they should remain the way they are in that respect. Saying it is a waste of time is a lazy mans excuse. A man/woman saying Oh if I just check here maybe I can make an easy buck. Big difference and the difference is lazy vs ambitious. Lets not reward the lazy looking for a work around while others are actually trying to make money and putting in the work.
      This does not change anything in how the game works or the market economy. It shortens the time to check a price. That's maybe 1% of the effort. The rest 99% is actually buying items and moving them to another city (and risk getting ganked if you go to carleon or take shortcuts through red tunnels) then waiting for them to be sold there.
      Some people here are making it a huge deal when in fact it is not that big of a change. But it does remove an annoyance for everyone and encourages more trade.
      If it is only 1% of the effort then why even bother? Your earlier posts for a reason was due to a waste of time but 1% isn't a big deal right?
    • Adrivan wrote:

@Xezqez

Because not all improvements have to be game breaking. Small quality of life changes here and there can go a long way.
      We will have to agree to disagree, I believe it is smart how they have it in this respect because it separates people, those who really want it and will put the work in vs those trying to find a way to make a quick buck without putting in the time and research.
    • Xezqez wrote:

Adrivan wrote:

@Xezqez

Because not all improvements have to be game breaking. Small quality of life changes here and there can go a long way.
      We will have to agree to disagree, I believe it is smart how they have it in this respect because it separates people, those who really want it and will put the work in vs those trying to find a way to make a quick buck without putting in the time and research.

Hmm. Right now I'm used to teleporting around naked to check markets. I'd be willing to spend a few silver to skip the naked teleporting. How is that game breaking? Teleporting doesn't take -that- much time, effort, or research. :)

I also note that such a feature would lower player server transitions, which could scale into a significant performance improvement.