Pinned Mobile: Planned Improvements

• Mobile: Planned Improvements

Greetings Albion Community,

I am a new addition to the Albion Online dev-team and will be responsible for a number of mobile adaptations and improvements for the upcoming official Albion Online mobile store release and beyond.
      This effort will have a clear UI- and performance focus in the beginning, to provide a better experience on mobile phones especially.

If you are interested in playing on mobile, you can use the Mobile Feedback & Suggestions forum to join us in this quest.
      Also, if you've got a few minutes, please fill out this survey to help us set our priorities: Mobile Player Survey
      I will be posting more updates regarding the mobile version in the near future.

Current Plans
      A roadmap is currently taking shape with the goal to tackle the most important quality of life changes for mobile users until release.
      With decent prioritization, we should be able to fit in the most bang-for-your-buck changes. Here's the topics we plan to look at:

UI
      A mobile friendly UI is on the forefront of important usability changes.
      This means:
      • An easier to use HUD
      • Button layouts and sizes adequate for touch control
      • Solutions for small text and information
      Touch Controls
      Looking at quality of life changes for touch.
      • Considerations for long-press, double tap, pinch and similar touch interactions for zooming and navigating UI
      • Possibility of an optional virtual joystick and skill targeting system
      Performance Improvements
      Some mobile devices struggle with performance when playing Albion, especially in highly populated areas. Performance optimization is another big topic we want to look at for the mobile version.

Store Integration & Updates
      Finally, we plan a release on both Play Store and App Store next year.
      With this, we also want to make manual installs and re-downloading the client with each small update a thing of the past.

We are looking forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions.

Respectfully yours,
      Merkur
    • Merkur wrote:

Greetings Albion Community,

I am a new addition to the Albion Online dev-team and will be responsible for a number of mobile adaptations and improvements for the upcoming official Albion Online mobile store release and beyond.
      This effort will have a clear UI- and performance focus in the beginning, to provide a better experience on mobile phones especially.

If you are interested in playing on mobile, you can use the Mobile Feedback & Suggestions forum to join us in this quest.
      Also, if you've got a few minutes, please fill out this survey to help us set our priorities: Mobile Player Survey
      I will be posting more updates regarding the mobile version in the near future.

Current Plans
      A roadmap is currently taking shape with the goal to tackle the most important quality of life changes for mobile users until release.
      With decent prioritization, we should be able to fit in the most bang-for-your-buck changes. Here's the topics we plan to look at:

UI
      A mobile friendly UI is on the forefront of important usability changes.
      This means:
      • An easier to use HUD
      • Button layouts and sizes adequate for touch control
      • Solutions for small text and information
      Touch Controls
      Looking at quality of life changes for touch.
      • Considerations for long-press, double tap, pinch and similar touch interactions for zooming and navigating UI
      • Possibility of an optional virtual joystick and skill targeting system
      Performance Improvements
      Some mobile devices struggle with performance when playing Albion, especially in highly populated areas. Performance optimization is another big topic we want to look at for the mobile version.

Store Integration & Updates
      Finally, we plan a release on both Play Store and App Store next year.
      With this, we also want to make manual installs and re-downloading the client with each small update a thing of the past.

We are looking forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions.

Respectfully yours,
      Merkur
      Thank you very much!

Having a possibility to actually do pvp in Albion Mobile is always welcome, as i really enjoy playing it while in bed.

Unfortunately i basically gather while in Mobile. Pvp is just... not possible competitively.
    • Welcome @Merkur ! We have high hopes on your work.

This announcement is a pretty big deal, I believe it's the first time after years of Albion that a official mobile version is confirmed (aimed at phones obviously).

Mobile is such a huge market, and phones are better everyday. Adding that to how good this game is, it will lead to big profits to SBI so I hope this game can continue for a long time.

Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN

The post was edited 1 time, last by Neesh ().

• Welcome to the team Merker,

I play exclusively on a 2017 10.5” iPad Pro. I also have a iPhone 7plus. In my opinion, at least for me, cellphone screens are way too small for Albion.

The most important issue, besides performance, for me, would be getting updates for the game synced with PC updates. The last few updates this has happened. Since all players, on all devices share the same game world, everyone should have access to the same content at the exact time.

Controller support would be a nice quality of life improvement, also keyboard support with hotkeys.
    • @Merkur Welcome , and the first suggestion about in-game optimization for mobile devices. Even if you will think you've made it perfect - make one option by default, that will help allot.

• When you log into the game make any other player invisible to you in citys by default. It will help drastically. ( we got something similar right now on PC version , but it is turning ON automatically only if region is overpopulated , otherwise it is unreal/hard to play)
      On top of that - make clearly visibile notification about it on the screen. And if user want to turn On players - they will do it by pressing a "special" shiny button.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Equart ().

• Hi, I play on a Samsung Galaxy s8 for Albion. Mobile has many things I believe that really need changes.

1. Fix the animation for abilities on mobile. Frequently, I see that animations of abilities just don't show at all, even with the settings turned on. An example of this is a Badon bow's E and a Blazing staff's E, on mobile, people won't be able to see the animation and won't realize it's there until they take damage.

2. Fix the disconnects and long loading times when loading between zones. I can remember countless times when loading between zones and seeing my bubble about to run out, it gets annoying at times when I also disconnect.

3. When pvping on a phone screen (sometimes even on tables) I find it hard to chain abilities and would sometimes end up walking instead of tapping the ability. This also happens frequently when tapping on players.

4. Lag after killing mobs. I'm not sure if this is a device issue or game issue but sometimes there are lag spikes after killing a mob and it gets annoying when killing groups of mobs in a solo dungeon.

5. Looting items. It's hard trying to fast loot items due to needing to drag them one by one on mobile.

6. Typing/Using chat/Tapping. On mobile, I find it hard to tap onto small things like inventory, chat, typing messages and etc.

7. Being able to purchase premium with Google play credits (and whatever apple uses). It would be nice to be able to purchase premium with other methods such as google play credits.

The post was edited 2 times, last by CrypticBull ().

• SUPER excited to hear this news. I play occasionally on mobile (Essential Phone, 5.7" screen), and while it's doable, simple refinements to the UI and controls would go a long way. Obviously the recommendation is 7"+ screens, but with some proper tweaking, the game is totally viable on smaller mobiles.

As everyone's noted, the updating/redownload right now is a hassle, but obviously that gets addressed with the official release on Play Store/App Store.

Virtual joystick and better action buttons (Q,W,E,R) would be highly recommended, smart targeting is icing on the cake. The "soup to nuts" would be full official controller support. 3rd party bluetooth controllers and mapping apps are semi-effective, but having official built in support will help to eliminate that hassle and I assume provide better refinements. Steam Controller with configs on PC is already very viable and has tons of extra potential for menu controls.

If there's anything that can be done to optimize or speed up the initial load into game, that would be very helpful. Obviously a lot of this depends on the phone's storage method and speed (UFS 2.0, 2.1, 3.0), but I think that's a big thing when you're looking at the mobile market. Being able to quickly get in and get out of a game is a big part of the mobile life-style and play mechanics. Having to wait 30-60 seconds just for the game to get to an initial login screen, is quickly going to turn a lot of mobile users off.

Anyways, excited to hear more and definitely looking forward to the increased development focus!