Shield vs offhands?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shield vs offhands?

Hey, I got a quick rookie question. Is shield really any good in pvp?

A master's sarcophagus gives like 5% dmg reduction against players. That feels barely significant. But if you use a master's taproot. You get 500 HP! I feel like 500hp is far more significant compared to 5% dmg reduction. Or Muisak giving 8.2% dmg overall.

I know shield is supposed to be defensive.. So in this comparison perhaps only taproot is a fair comparison. If so.. Am I missing something or is 5% dmg reduction really good compared to 500hp?
    • Lionbutt wrote:

A master's sarcophagus gives like 5% dmg reduction against players. That feels barely significant. But if you use a master's taproot. You get 500 HP! I feel like 500hp is far more significant compared to 5% dmg reduction. Or Muisak giving 8.2% dmg overall.

I know shield is supposed to be defensive.. So in this comparison perhaps only taproot is a fair comparison. If so.. Am I missing something or is 5% dmg reduction really good compared to 500hp?
      There is a lot to consider about a shield over other off-hands.

It is not 5% damage reduction. It adds to 5% to character defense rating. Resistances are not liner; altering effectiveness for armors. Shields can also provide CC resistance or CC durations... all minor but sometimes in pinch it will help.

The 500HP as you stated is a huge bonus. However it also lowers healing received (This reduction is additive [my suspicion] to other reductions stacking quickly) . In a prolonged fight a shield will have a lot more value.

There is IAS / CC / Damage bonuses / Cooldowns / Resistances / Mana - regen / cast speed -- All worth considering on what you play.

The off-hand vs shield is a good question. Ultimately it will depend on build, role, and desired playstyle. I have personally don't use a shield for PvE (nor do I PvP). I will wear one when gathering in the black as a slight security.

Hope this helps,

Shirania of "P R E C I S I O N"
    • New

Shirania wrote:

Lionbutt wrote:

There is a lot to consider about a shield over other off-hands.
      It is not 5% damage reduction. It adds to 5% to character defense rating. Resistances are not liner; altering effectiveness for armors. Shields can also provide CC resistance or CC durations... all minor but sometimes in pinch it will help.

The 500HP as you stated is a huge bonus. However it also lowers healing received (This reduction is additive [my suspicion] to other reductions stacking quickly) . In a prolonged fight a shield will have a lot more value.

There is IAS / CC / Damage bonuses / Cooldowns / Resistances / Mana - regen / cast speed -- All worth considering on what you play.

The off-hand vs shield is a good question. Ultimately it will depend on build, role, and desired playstyle. I have personally don't use a shield for PvE (nor do I PvP). I will wear one when gathering in the black as a slight security.

Hope this helps,

Shirania of "P R E C I S I O N"
      Prolonged fight... I'd still say that 500 hp is more likely to let you live that those 5% defenses. I'd say like you said. Shield could be useful if you're tanking in pve or maybe gathering and really just want as much Dmg reduction as possible. But in terms of almost any pvp encounter where you are trying to gain an advantage over another opponent. I don't ever see a scenario where a shield will help with those odds more than a lot of the off-hands...
      And as I said if we are to simply compare the defensive off-hand (taproot) vs shield. I'd say taproot still wins as someone with 2000hp with a shield is most likely gonna lose against an equal player with 2500 hp.

My point is that shield although arguably has their places. They're -very- situational and hardly ever worth it compared to what other options there are. I definitely think shields needs a buff to be considered viable unless you're -specifically- after dmg reduction.

EDIT : Also, I read another good argument for shield vs taproot (or offhands). And the general consensus is that shields are just a cheap off-hand if you're expecting to die a lot. Taproot costs a lot ot replace and thus shield might be more cost efficient. But in terms of efficiency. Shield is just severely underpowered compared to every other off-hand.
    • New

since there are really no 1 handed tank weapons used in ZvZ or GvG (incubus mace? is that just a troll build?) it's hard to gauge what would be better. I would use the Catiff shield for PVP if i had too. in a group you're going to get more value out of say a mist caller or leering cane or musiac or taproot depending on what you're trying to do, i suppose if you are front lining with your incubus mace the caitiff shield might be prudent that with a martlock cape would make you very stout.
      Extravirgin olive oil
      3medium onions, chopped
      Salt,black pepper
      4cloves garlic, minced
      1tablespoon tomato paste
      3cups chicken broth
      Freshbasil
      15medium or 10 large ripe tomatoes, Chopped + Juice