Beginner looking for viable Small scale pvp style/build.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Beginner looking for viable Small scale pvp style/build.

Hello everyone.

Me and my gf have been enjoying Albion as of late. I do however find myself fairly lost in terms of the ''do whatever you want'' mentality. I know the game tries its best to let players have the freedom of using whatever armor and weapon they want in any combination. But i've always been the type of guy who looks up which classes/weapons are ideal for specific scenarios. Most builds I find however are either outdated or using combos no longer functioning (soldier helmet for self-heal).

I tried playing a frost mage, but found myself unable to survive the frontal attacks of melee builds who remained in my face all the time.

Im trying to find a reliable weapon + armor that has a high potential for small scale pvp. I am most of time doing dungeons with gf and thus im hoping for some sort of melee build that's decent for pve and has strong potential for 1vx.

I know this is a bit vague, but I just need some direction.. I've looked at Claymore firstly, but I hear a year ago those were considered one of the weakest weapons for pvp in the game. I've looked at Galatine pair which according to someone on forum was a great ''clapper'' weapon, but not very good for solo or ganking, I have no clue what clapping means.

I've looked up spear which looks extremely strong in the right hands.

TL;DR

What sort of melee weapon+armor combo would you recommend to someone interested in pve and small scale pvp?
    • One handed spear: Cheap, good damage, mobility. Work nicely all kinds of armor (Cloth, Leather, Plate)

Heron Spear: Cheap, good damage/CC. Work better with plate (specially soldier armor)

Halberd: Cheap, excellent weapon for PVE, okayish for pvp. Works nicely with leather/plate

Greataxe: Cheap, amazing for pve/pvp, works better with leather.

Greatfrost / Permafrost: Cheap, good for pve/pvp, works better with cloth.

One handed curse: Amazing for pvp, average in pve, works great with leather, ok with cloth.

Bloodletter: Good for pvp, very high mobility, good finalizer in pvp, below average in pve. Works great with leather.

And there are more...
      Its a nice game to train your mentality and experimentation.
    • Lionbutt wrote:

What sort of melee weapon+armor combo would you recommend to someone interested in pve and small scale pvp?
      the ideal advice would require knowing what your gf plays, but some melee options:

1h spear, heron spear, carving sword, halberd, or greataxe
      stalker hood + sin jacket
      soldier boots or scholar sandals
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

100/100/90/90 Holy Specs
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

Lionbutt wrote:

the ideal advice would require knowing what your gf plays, but some melee options:
      1h spear, heron spear, carving sword, halberd, or greataxe
      stalker hood + sin jacket
      soldier boots or scholar sandals
      I've tried halberd and greataxe so far. Im wearing soldier armor + boots and either scholar cowl or stalker hood.

I've had minimal luck in pvp or duels so far however as I seem to lose against most of my guild mates. One of which was galatine pair with demon armor mostly. Halberd provided little dmg even with full fury stacks simply because the gallatine pair hit fast and the demon armor (or helm?) has a bunch of lifesteal and healing.

I don't see how halberd can compare to other weapons in terms of dmg as most of its attacks is AoE attacks, which is good in big fights, but what's the point of being okay at big pvp if you cannot win a 1v1?

My gf has no ''build'', she's just going full plate armor and dual swords.

Im looking for either a melee or even a mage build that is capable of handling itself when ganked or in small scale pvp. I tried greater frost staff, the dmg is good, but the roots did little since most melee builds runs as fast as sonic, so they just stand in your face pummeling you.

TL;DR

Im having problem surviving with halberd atm due to the fact it lacks any heals at all. So fighting any build with a heal or life-steal makes me immedietly lose. Although im still fairly low level in halberds (15/100).
    • Lionbutt wrote:

demon armor (or helm?) has a bunch of lifesteal and healing.
      demon armor is a reflect, and demon helm is a silence

but what's the point of being okay at big pvp if you cannot win a 1v1?
      the whole point of this game is to wear gear tailored for specific playstyles... for straight 1v1, the 1h axe is best

to me, smallscale pvp means 1-5 players versus 1-5 players... halberd is not "good" for fighting a single target, so you would need to rely on your duo buddy, a merc jacket, healing potions, etc

have your gf wear guardian helm for some backup heals
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

100/100/90/90 Holy Specs
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

Lionbutt wrote:

demon armor (or helm?) has a bunch of lifesteal and healing.
      demon armor is a reflect, and demon helm is a silence
      but what's the point of being okay at big pvp if you cannot win a 1v1?
      the whole point of this game is to wear gear tailored for specific playstyles... for straight 1v1, the 1h axe is best
      to me, smallscale pvp means 1-5 players versus 1-5 players... halberd is not "good" for fighting a single target, so you would need to rely on your duo buddy, a merc jacket, healing potions, etc

have your gf wear guardian helm for some backup heals
      Thanks.. Yeah. Im currently looking at some Cursed staff pvp videos. Most of them are a few months old so I don't know if they're still ''ideal''. This person is running a form of:

Cursed staff
      Mercenary jacket
      Cleric Cowl
      Soldier boots
      Off hand(?)

I wanted to be a mage when I started the game. But I just felt like in small scale pvp, melee builds are too fast and they just stay right in your face and pummel you. Can you give me your thoughts on some of the different staffs viability PvP?

Frost staff
      Fire staff
      Curse staffs?

I do like the idea of curse staff being sort of like an affliction warlock in WoW, spam dots on people, kite them and then make them explode.

If I go mage, I just want some form of build that cant handle itself in 1v2 or maybe 2vx stuff (if my gf is with me).

So.. again.. I like playing mages. I just feel like they're often so squishy that strong melee builds just pummel them to death.