Dev Talk: The New Outlands

• Roccandil wrote:

Another way of looking at it:

When I first heard about Albion and its PvP progression to the black zones, I thought it sounded extremely cool, and when I started playing, I expected to find a living, breathing outlaw world to live in.

The reality, though, has been very disappointing. :( My personal island is my home, not the black zone, and when I pop out from it, it's in a safe royal city filled with strangers.

If, however, a personal hideout were my home, and when I popped out, it was in my guild's black zone hideout, and everyone I saw was a guildmate, that would be way cooler. :)

(The black zone would functionally still be season points, and not really a world, but maybe I could fool myself a little longer. :( )
      I've always seen the outlands as the risky place you venture into, maybe attack some players, earn some big bucks, then return to the safety of your city at the end of the day. I dont know what created you those different expectations.... I personally like the idea of an organized continent, and it would sadden me if lots of people would leave to permanently stay in the outlands.
    • Roccandil wrote:

When I first heard about Albion and its PvP progression to the black zones, I thought it sounded extremely cool, and when I started playing, I expected to find a living, breathing outlaw world to live in.
      This is still true. You just chose to go down a different path (for whatever reason?)

Roccandil wrote:

The reality, though, has been very disappointing. My personal island is my home, not the black zone, and when I pop out from it, it's in a safe royal city filled with strangers.
      Personal island is part of the city. Thats normal. You can make a home, or better as we say in EVE - "go daytripping" into the BZ to get some adventures, but at the end of the day you get home either way. (either with loot, or naked).
      If your guild/allaince has a plot - you can live in BZ for days not having to return home, but thats a choice (to be in a guild like that). Don't blame the game for the choices you've made - blame the player...

Roccandil wrote:

If, however, a personal hideout were my home, and when I popped out, it was in my guild's black zone hideout, and everyone I saw was a guildmate, that would be way cooler.
      Well 50% of that will be coming to fruition with the Queen patch, the other 50% you'll just have to convince your imagination to believe in, or just change your mind and dont have expectations of having personal hideouts?

Roccandil wrote:

(The black zone would functionally still be season points, and not really a world, but maybe I could fool myself a little longer. )
      The BZ does not really yield any season points for me (aside from the challenge keys I get for slaying mobs there) - its more of a dangerous place where I get for my adventures. But again, maybe my gameplay is different because of the personal choices that I've made?
    • Captainrussia wrote:

Personal island is part of the city. Thats normal. You can make a home, or better as we say in EVE - "go daytripping" into the BZ to get some adventures, but at the end of the day you get home either way. (either with loot, or naked).
      If your guild/allaince has a plot - you can live in BZ for days not having to return home, but thats a choice (to be in a guild like that). Don't blame the game for the choices you've made - blame the player...

Blame the customer if you want, but that's not good business. I know what I'm looking for, and while Albion doesn't have it, it's close enough that I'm hoping for more.

A far more compelling argument to me would be to say that the developers made the game -they- want to play. I wouldn't mind that, even if I didn't agree with their choices.

Of course, the more the developers make a game I want to play, the more money I'll spend on it.

Either way, I'm hoping the Fractured MMO turns out more to my liking; we'll see. If it does, Albion will lose a customer.
    • From: forum.albiononline.com/index.p…ne-Roadmap-Vision-Update/ :

Eltharyon wrote:

Gathering
      In addition to “classic” PvE dungeons, we also plan to introduce “Resource Dungeons”. These dungeons will exist in different sizes (and of course resource type) and will be particularly interesting gathering locations. Though some of them may just contain plain resources, many will have their resources guarded by mobs. This encourages players to cooperate, clearing resource dungeons to gain access to resources for their guild (or to make a shared profit). Again, the different sizes available to you should make for interesting choices.

@PrintsKaspian / and all from SBI
      Don't forget, only 83 days to the end of the year, from today!
    • Roccandil wrote:

Blame the customer if you want, but that's not good business.
      Oh c'mon, no need to pull some mental Olympics on this one. In fact - there are many businesses (usually ones associated with dangerous activities and thrill seeking) ask you to sign a non-liability waiver or disclaimer, basically taking the blame off of them if the "customer is an idiot and injures/kills himself". You might think its not good business - but its safe business. A good business is a safe business. SBI should include "if a customer invests $$ into the game and makes poor financial/meta choices - then SBI is not liable" clause.

Roccandil wrote:

I know what I'm looking for, and while Albion doesn't have it, it's close enough that I'm hoping for more.
      Good, then you should stick around. And maybe Albion already has what you are looking for... you just have not asked around hard enough.

Roccandil wrote:

A far more compelling argument to me would be to say that the developers made the game -they- want to play. I wouldn't mind that, even if I didn't agree with their choices.
      Sure, you can think about it that way... or more accurately - that the DEV's made the game that *they* want to sell. You don't have to agree with their choices. I don't walk into a Tesla Dealership and tell them that they gotta put in a gasoline engine into the car - OR ELSE! Just like I don't go to a Steakhouse and tell them that they are about to lose a customer unless they serve me a gluten free tofu sandwich with avocadoes...

Roccandil wrote:

Of course, the more the developers make a game I want to play, the more money I'll spend on it.
      Ah the classical "my freedom ends where yours begins" argument! Well the more developers make a game I want to play - the more money I'll spend on it. Shall we have a virtual Pee-ve-Pee battle on who wants to throw down more money? See what I did there? Again, thats just a silly argument...

Roccandil wrote:

Either way, I'm hoping the Fractured MMO turns out more to my liking; we'll see. If it does, Albion will lose a customer.
      I am going to guess that Fractured MMO will not have full loot PVP?
    • Captainrussia wrote:

Fractured will indeed have full-loot PvP. The relevant difference is that it will be much harder to get from the PvE planet to the full-loot planets, and the full-loot planets will have unsafe player-made cities, subject to siege and conquest.

I've played in pre-alpha and the alphas so far, and Fractured has a survival atmosphere that Albion simply doesn't have, due to the safe ring of royal cities, the massive easy-mode markets, and the realmgate-centric black zone PvP.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Roccandil ().

• We’re also trying to find a way to evacuate laborers and Marketplace contents, but we’re not sure if and how these will work yet - the exact rules will be announced with the final announcement of the world change timing.
      I realize that commenting on something you don't know the specifics of, or if you can even do it at all, isn't a priority. I am just curious about the laborer evacuation specifically. What would your perfect world solution be to this?
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • Whin wrote:

Aaaand what about town plots? right now most of all are empty, nobody is using it as a Base like in the betas. Any plans to fix it? With hideouts the problem will be still higher, maybe town plots will disappear in the new map?
      There aren't homeplots in the new map, hideouts are taking the place of these. There also will not be zones that have 2 watchtowers in them. They said on the Aldion Reddit they are removing royal zone territory ownership as well.
    • Roccandil wrote:

Captainrussia wrote:

Fractured will indeed have full-loot PvP. The relevant difference is that it will be much harder to get from the PvE planet to the full-loot planets, and the full-loot planets will have unsafe player-made cities, subject to siege and conquest.

I've played in pre-alpha and the alphas so far, and Fractured has a survival atmosphere that Albion simply doesn't have, due to the safe ring of royal cities, the massive easy-mode markets, and the realmgate-centric black zone PvP.
      I checked out Fractured... it barely has any pre-alpha (not even alpha) footage... and currently no PVP is implemented. I also did not see any mention of full loot PVP on their website, but maybe because I kind of skimmed it...
      I give it another 2-3 years before Fractured leaves beta (it first has to enter beta to begin with).
    • Ruminus wrote:

Maybe someone already asked this and I missed it but will the new Outland Outposts also have repairstations?

Only the market and the bank got mentioned. Imo it would make sense to also have access to a RS within the outpost.

Looking forward to more info on the Queen Update :)
      Hideouts you can construct repair station and in the mini-city's we will have market and repair station.
    • New

Captainrussia wrote:

Roccandil wrote:

Captainrussia wrote:

I checked out Fractured... it barely has any pre-alpha (not even alpha) footage... and currently no PVP is implemented. I also did not see any mention of full loot PVP on their website, but maybe because I kind of skimmed it...I give it another 2-3 years before Fractured leaves beta (it first has to enter beta to begin with).

Here's an extensive description of the Fractured PvP system. As to Alpha, test-mode PvP is possible if players flag up.

A little more detail from the article on the differences in PvP between the three planets:

With open PvP, full loot, and no punishment for crime, Tartaros is a harsh environment for Demons – let alone for other races! Beastmen are directly penalized when travelling through this Evil planet, while Humans have a slightly easier time, particularly if they enjoy the protection of a God. Regardless of your race, any expedition to Tartaros should be planned more than carefully!

On Syndesia, players of all alignments coexist, while the overall safety of each territory depends on the guild controlling it. If you’re a new player, you enjoy a rather large safety net. As you progress, playing with an organized group is advised, but not strictly necessary. Want to be a criminal? That is possible and potentially rewarding, but punishment for your crimes won’t be light!

If you play as a Beastman on Arboreus, you’ll often wander zones completely devoid of hostile PvP – particularly as a new player, and you’re unlikely to be the victim of an aggression from other races in the rest of the world as well. If you’re Evil and looking to travel to Arboreus to go on a killing spree, you won’t succeed – you’d rather have a clear PvE / gathering objective in mind and complete it as fast as you can!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Roccandil ().