Dev Talk: The New Outlands

• MMOLIFE wrote:

@Eltharyon Can you state how many zones currently in the map and how many the new outlands map will have? How much percentage is the black zone shrinking? Does SBI have any fear that they're making the outlands too small?
      I did the top 10 guilds just now for the weekly terry own by adding them up and it was 340~ this include townplot and royals I assume we got 420~ ish all together
    • Whin wrote:

What about Islands? will we have a relocation? or something like that?
      It was said some time ago that devs will allow 1 time relocation when new outlands map will be released due to changes with portals...
      G-R-C-T Guild Master
      Gatherer-Refiner-Crafter-Trader
      -----------------------------------------------
      Fiber Gethering T8 | Ore Gathering T8 | Wood Gathering T8 | Hide Gathering T8 | Stone Gathering T8
    • Yamochan wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong... But the new outlands looks so small compared to the old one. Also there is still a lot of forest missing in the middle of the map.
      The furthest away zones from the portals looks all to be Highlands and Snow aside from one Dessert biome.
      The new outlands will have about the same number of zones in total as the old ones. Around 300 in total.

• Do I have access to a good farming spot?
      • Do I have sufficient access to farms to produce food?

If farms aren't instanced in some way (say, inside hideouts), then the number of people who can truly live in the black zone is artificially restricted. Not sure that's a good thing.

Also, will it be possible to raise mounts and herbs in the black zone? If not, we still won't be able to truly live in the Outlands, instanced or not. :(

That inability will likely shorten my time in the game (along with the focus mechanic); I'll just feel "finished" sooner.
    • Korn wrote:

Yamochan wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong... But the new outlands looks so small compared to the old one. Also there is still a lot of forest missing in the middle of the map.
      The furthest away zones from the portals looks all to be Highlands and Snow aside from one Dessert biome.
      The new outlands will have about the same number of zones in total as the old ones. Around 300 in total.
      Korn, just 2 more maps :love: because in the 298 we still lose space for the mini cities and the maps where the Raid dungeons will be.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LordSilva ().

• LordSilva wrote:

Korn wrote:

Yamochan wrote:

Korn, just 2 more maps :love: because in the 298 we still lose space for the mini cities and the maps where the Raid dungeons will be.

you're forgetting the royals
    • LordSilva wrote:

Korn wrote:

Yamochan wrote:

How did u get this map?
    • How are you addressing the issue of the enormous benefits in being in a huge alliance.

Controlling the zones will still be by a few alliances.

The rich get richer the poor get poorer with the only path to riches is through the large alliances.

The solutions seems simple as the more territory you gain the more it costs per territory. Making owning half the map extremely expensive. This could be done with resources or silver.

Right now there is no penalty for being in a mega-alliance which projects power through half the map, this needs to change!

New outlands? Why? The old outlands are not broken not due to the design of them but the control of a few alliances. I doubt the ZvZ conquest of the territories vs the GvG will make any difference, new players get crushed by players wearing T8.2 vs a typical 6.1 for a new guild wanting to step out. They either join the mega-alliances to get to the next step or quit.

I hate it we take a few territories at reset only to be cannon fodder for the powerful alliances. One week later we have nothing. Territory resets are becoming a wast of time and therefor the reason they are getting boring to watch as it gets more difficult to even find a fight.

SBI has addressed none of the underlying problems in the game as they continue to ignore the real problem with alliances. Make a new map? Please are you really serious this is going to fix what? I guess it will give a new carrot to the mega-alliances.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to find people hidden in territories only to have 20 people gather against you out numbering you 4-1 and rush out in there 8.2 ZvZ gear. This is what PvP in the territories is like. I don;t blame them as it is the EZ mode for this game. But I blame the developers in making too many safe zones for one side in a PvP game.

And don't get me started on all the portals. Portal games are just a reminder how ill conceived the map design is. There are too many of them, and I see the new map will perpetuate this.

I am trying hard to figure out is this really an albion 2.0 or just new paint trying to look new.

People who are hyped? Hyped about what? More zones. Maybe they will make a few more templates? I can walk into more zones with no one playing only to have the high end resources taken by the territory owner in ten minutes Oh boy I can't wait!

Less and less casters on twitch with less and less people watching. At least Albion.tv gives away gold to keep the interest up. And of course I see less people in towns and in BZ's. A true indication of the state of the game. I am sure we will get a bump in population but I don't see anything here that will change anything in the game and will expect the decline in population once more.

I see fear in SBI that they cannot upset the current way of things, thinking they will loose more players Instead of trying to attract an influx of new players and retain them..IMHO they went F2P too soon knowing the mechanics in the game where broken for new players. But they did give the established player base more players to crush. I'll stick around but I see the vision for the game being corrupted by this fear.

I was surprise they didn't mention hideouts. I don't see these of being anything more then something that amuses the mega-alliances.
    • fillrup wrote:

How are you addressing the issue of the enormous benefits in being in a huge alliance.

Controlling the zones will still be by a few alliances.

The rich get richer the poor get poorer with the only path to riches is through the large alliances.

The solutions seems simple as the more territory you gain the more it costs per territory. Making owning half the map extremely expensive. This could be done with resources or silver.

Right now there is no penalty for being in a mega-alliance which projects power through half the map, this needs to change!

New outlands? Why? The old outlands are not broken not due to the design of them but the control of a few alliances. I doubt the ZvZ conquest of the territories vs the GvG will make any difference, new players get crushed by players wearing T8.2 vs a typical 6.1 for a new guild wanting to step out. They either join the mega-alliances to get to the next step or quit.

I hate it we take a few territories at reset only to be cannon fodder for the powerful alliances. One week later we have nothing. Territory resets are becoming a wast of time and therefor the reason they are getting boring to watch as it gets more difficult to even find a fight.

SBI has addressed none of the underlying problems in the game as they continue to ignore the real problem with alliances. Make a new map? Please are you really serious this is going to fix what? I guess it will give a new carrot to the mega-alliances.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to find people hidden in territories only to have 20 people gather against you out numbering you 4-1 and rush out in there 8.2 ZvZ gear. This is what PvP in the territories is like. I don;t blame them as it is the EZ mode for this game. But I blame the developers in making too many safe zones for one side in a PvP game.

And don't get me started on all the portals. Portal games are just a reminder how ill conceived the map design is. There are too many of them, and I see the new map will perpetuate this.

I am trying hard to figure out is this really an albion 2.0 or just new paint trying to look new.

People who are hyped? Hyped about what? More zones. Maybe they will make a few more templates? I can walk into more zones with no one playing only to have the high end resources taken by the territory owner in ten minutes Oh boy I can't wait!

Less and less casters on twitch with less and less people watching. At least Albion.tv gives away gold to keep the interest up. And of course I see less people in towns and in BZ's. A true indication of the state of the game. I am sure we will get a bump in population but I don't see anything here that will change anything in the game and will expect the decline in population once more.

I see fear in SBI that they cannot upset the current way of things, thinking they will loose more players Instead of trying to attract an influx of new players and retain them..IMHO they went F2P too soon knowing the mechanics in the game where broken for new players. But they did give the established player base more players to crush. I'll stick around but I see the vision for the game being corrupted by this fear.

I was surprise they didn't mention hideouts. I don't see these of being anything more then something that amuses the mega-alliances.
      Well, i did ask these questions and protested before i did not login any more...and just keep read from time to time forum...waiting for a change ..adressing what you stated..
    • CaptainPando wrote:

LordSilva wrote:

Korn wrote:

Yamochan wrote:

How did u get this map?
      Winds of Albion spirits told me a place in the left corner of the right...
      i just print screen youtube m8, and paint some lines and nº, lol
    • LordSilva wrote:

CaptainPando wrote:

LordSilva wrote:

Korn wrote:

Yamochan wrote:

How did u get this map?
      Winds of Albion spirits told me a place in the left corner of the right...i just print screen youtube m8, and paint some lines and nº, lol
      lots of free time lol.
    • Adrivan wrote:

@Roccandil @fillrup
      Uhm... portals are a thing in pretty much all MMOs.
      It has more to do with the technical side of handling the player load, rather than map design.

In this case, the black zone is realmgate-bound. Most people live in the royals, and season-related content originates through the realmgates, making them extremely powerful and diminishing the geographical importance of the black zone (an enemy may own an adjacent terri, but their zerg and your zerg will still come through the realmgates).

I'd much prefer to see people able to live in the black zone, independent from contact with realmgates or royal cities. That would mean zergs could muster within the black zone itself, and not rely on massing on realmgates. (Ultimately, I'd want to see seasons and resets removed, so the black zone could be a true world, but that would require making it much harder to project power and own territories.)

Making living in the black zone practical would require the following:

- Access to T2/3 resources in the black zone (maybe grow them in hideouts?)
      - Access to artifact foundries and energy manipulators (anything else?)
      - Individual player access to farm plots (farm terris on the map work for guilds, but not for players)

And that means personal hideouts with farm plots.
    • Roccandil wrote:

Adrivan wrote:

@Roccandil @fillrup
      Uhm... portals are a thing in pretty much all MMOs.
      It has more to do with the technical side of handling the player load, rather than map design.
      I'd much prefer to see people able to live in the black zone, independent from contact with realmgates or royal cities.
      Wasn't the guy with glasses in this video talking about being able to live in the outlands? I'm pretty sure this is their goal also.
      Let's not forget we will potentially have a big ass city in the middle of the outlands as well (Avalon)
    • Another way of looking at it:

When I first heard about Albion and its PvP progression to the black zones, I thought it sounded extremely cool, and when I started playing, I expected to find a living, breathing outlaw world to live in.

The reality, though, has been very disappointing. :( My personal island is my home, not the black zone, and when I pop out from it, it's in a safe royal city filled with strangers.

If, however, a personal hideout were my home, and when I popped out, it was in my guild's black zone hideout, and everyone I saw was a guildmate, that would be way cooler. :)

(The black zone would functionally still be season points, and not really a world, but maybe I could fool myself a little longer. :( )