Dev Talk: Queen Update Introduction

• Dev Talk: Queen Update Introduction

In our most recent Dev Talk, Robin Henkys, Game Director of Albion Online, offers a first look at some of the huge changes coming with the next major content update, Queen.

No time to watch the video, or prefer a written summary? Click here: albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-queen-update-introduction
    • CassX wrote:

@PrintsKaspian
      What is Avalon, its town, zone?Or?(in middle new outland map)
      Royal continent will remain unchanged?
      If Caerleon lost connect to BZ, how i can bring t7,8 resources to Caerleon?Only from Royals cities?Red zones near Caerleon, will they stay red?
      What happend with BM in Caerleon?
      Current plans (always subject to change) are that
      • the black market will stay in Caerleon - trade between the Outlands and Caerleon via the red zones will become extremely relevant
      • The zones surrounding Carleon will get significant buffs
      • There will no longer be territories in the royal continent (and hence, no hideouts)
      This allows us to optimize Caerleon and the surrounding zones for solo / small group royal continent gameplay. A significant part of this will be an reworked and upgraded faction war system - this however won't be part of the Queen update.
    • Korn wrote:

CassX wrote:

@PrintsKaspian
      What is Avalon, its town, zone?Or?(in middle new outland map)
      Royal continent will remain unchanged?
      If Caerleon lost connect to BZ, how i can bring t7,8 resources to Caerleon?Only from Royals cities?Red zones near Caerleon, will they stay red?
      What happend with BM in Caerleon?
      Current plans (always subject to change) are that
      • the black market will stay in Caerleon - trade between the Outlands and Caerleon via the red zones will become extremely relevant
      • The zones surrounding Carleon will get significant buffs
      • There will no longer be territories in the royal continent (and hence, no hideouts)
      This allows us to optimize Caerleon and the surrounding zones for solo / small group royal continent gameplay. A significant part of this will be an reworked and upgraded faction war system - this however won't be part of the Queen update.
      Thanks, and can you go out with some info about "The zones surrounding Carleon will get significant buffs" ?
      And still my question, please what is Avalon?Name of zone or what? :)
    • When you talk about the zvz debuff in the video it sounds like anytime there is 25+ allies in a zone you get the debuff correct? Now does this count when you are not zvzing? Like say your gathering and there just happens to be 26 allies in the zone doing whatever because your alliance and guild use that zone a lot for what ever reason, But anyways your alone just gathering do you get the zerg debuff then? If a ganker comes and Im alone but still have 25+ allies afk in terri do I have to fight this ganker with a debuff? This is something that isn't made clear. Thanks.
    • So.... what is going to happen with hideouts is your establishing underground railroad. each alliance will make its own "capital city" If you allow economy inside that city. you basically take away economy from the royal cities. I would really really really think about that. You can instantly destroy your established player based economy. Do your thing but don't allow AH inside them. Force us to still have a reason to visit a royal city.
      :)
    • Now not wanting to be a downer here but....

Problems that right away jump into ones face: Caerleon portal gets removed and nothing is put in place for it right away... What the bloody hell? The city will be totally useless for at least 3 months... (Thats my guess on how long you will take to get things done for something new at the least~) ...then just like it was at the beginning of the game aside from the black market. Cartels will move to the outer citys and simply buy up everything. This is such a bad move all things considered. :thumbdown:

Then there is you "Smart cluster" system. This will very likely not work and if it does you would color me suprised. I mean I like to be suprised so please do it right or dont do it at all...
      Also your saying "We would like to have the big fights but its not possible" To this I can only say one thing... its not 2005 anymore. Other games can do it... Give us a reason why you cant?

Oh also~
      "With our super special awesomely stable servers doing more ZvZ definatly is the way to go!"
      That is the gist of what Im hearing when it comes to Territory control. A little hint~ If you find the irony you may keep it! :whistling:

Now as said at the start I dont want to be a constant downer~ Im actually very excited about the hideouts. But we will definatly need more intel on them. How many can I have? How many are allowed in one zone? Will they stay forever after being fully build up? And as a follow up to that: Can they be lootet when destroyed? I really hope they can be destroyed even after being build up in whatever way. (Shield timers from EVE come to mind~) If thats not the case it will likely benefit certain guilds/alliances with higher player counts in a very big manner
      But you dont give us enough intel on that and I cant wait for more~ :D
      This change Im really looking forward to because it will likely add lots and lots of fun and a massive ammount of new content even for smaller guilds who specialize in certain types of playing would really benefit if this is done correctly.

I also very much like the idea of the new crystal realm. But please do change up the GvG times a little bit. Right now some timers arent really great to be honest and that includes Castles timers. If you can only play one or two GvGs a day it will be pretty hard to keep the teams busy. I also very much hope that this buffs given will really leave a mark on the territories and guards and arent just a gimmick.
      A little add to GvG battles. I had suggested this before but please think about adding a ladder system for GvG fights.(Or at least for Arena~) Like this the teams will have way more fun as they have more content and maybe some rewards for being on top~

Finally there is the new map~ Do I get it right that the closer to get to the center the better the "loot" will be? Because if so... Add some swamps, desserts and forests to the center please~ All I can see is highlands and snow~ Not very hospitable. :P And it kinda looks way too small compared to the black right now~
      (I know this is likely not the final version of the map but I couldnt help it XD)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Yamochan ().

• I like the idea of the smart cluster queue in an attempt to eliminate content blocking. However, I would suggest three groups be made rather than two. Basically, for Zerg1, Zerg2 and Bystander. This would allow for spectators, gatherers and those who would think it funny to sow even more confusion and chaos in the battle access to the map to do so.

I was thinking about ratios like: zerg1/zerg2 - 45% of map limit each, and bystanders- 10% of map limit. Coding wise, it would add another check function to the sort, but, I think it would be good over-all. This announcement of the mechanic just seems like the right time and place to add this suggestion.
    • CassX wrote:

Thanks, and can you go out with some info about "The zones surrounding Carleon will get significant buffs" ?And still my question, please what is Avalon?Name of zone or what? :)

Right now, the zones directly surrouding Caerleon are deliberately quite weak for balance reasons, as Caerleon also is a / the main gateway to the Outlands. That's why, for example, the best zones for enchanted T5 resources - while being in the Royals - are quite far away from Caerleon. If Caerleon no longer has direct Outland access, we can then finally really buff of the zones in the center of the royals as they are now further away from the Outlands. That will likely mean lots of enchanted T5 in terms of gathering, but would also extend to PvE stuff etc.

In general, the design goal would be to make the royal red zones the place to be for solo / less organized small group players and really optimize the entire experience towards that goal. The reason why this can be done with the new map structure is that there is now a good degree of distance between the Outlands and the center of the red zones, allowing us to give each area a clear profile and clear benefits, such that, economically, they run in synergy with each other.

No spoilers on Avalon yet, sorry :)
    • Yamochan wrote:

Finally there is the new map~ Do I get it right that the closer to get to the center the better the "loot" will be? Because if so... Add some swamps, desserts and forests to the center please~ All I can see is highlands and snow~ Not very hospitable.
      This is a very good point, and my main concern with the potential new map. Currently each royal city has resources nearby that are plentiful, and others that are scares. The Outlands gives us the opportunity to find those resources without having to trek over to another royal city, so please make sure that is still the case. My second question/concern is the number of portals in the Outlands. In the current map there are some portals that you just don't go through unless you have a large group, or your guild/alliance controls the other side. In the new map, please make sure there are a bunch of portals you can pop out of from each royal city, otherwise, the portal exits will just get camped on and solo players wont stand a chance.

Regarding hideouts, this is a fantastic idea! I'm just curious how the entrances will appear on the map? Will a large guild be able to camp on its doorstep and kill players as they exit? could a hideout have multiple exit points on the map that allows them to escape campers? For those of us that aren't in a large guild, is it even possible to build a hideout if it takes 24hours to complete and it can be destroyed during that time by other players? If this is essentially a mechanic for large guilds, thats fine i guess, but it would be nice if there was a stealth approach that a solo person could take that might last a week to construct, but not be as easy to find by enemies.

Just my 2 cents.
    • @PrintsKaspian
      i think we have a problem in the zerg debuff because the people don't use battle mounts in small zergs also the battle mount it's not so good to have a spot in the 25 zerg or more.

I think it's more interesting this debuff only in some maps or something like that.

Not less important lots of new players and non hardcore players will be excluded from battle for not have spec or item power, in the end we have same as the GvG in the cities.
      (Sorry for the English I'm not so good)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Luquee ().

• derby wrote:

So.... what is going to happen with hideouts is your establishing underground railroad. each alliance will make its own "capital city" If you allow economy inside that city. you basically take away economy from the royal cities. I would really really really think about that. You can instantly destroy your established player based economy. Do your thing but don't allow AH inside them. Force us to still have a reason to visit a royal city.
      :)

I don't want a reason to visit a royal city: I want to completely live in the black zone. I wouldn't even mind a confiscatory tariff on anything passing through realmgates, to fully separate the Outland and Royal economic zones.

Unfortunately, guild hideouts won't be enough to pull me away from my personal island home, and the Royals will remain my home in mind. :(

All the same, a functioning economy in the black zone would make things more interesting, if only because guilds/alliances will be able to refuse to support the economy of a rival guild/alliance.
    • Dc1a0 wrote:

I like the idea of the smart cluster queue in an attempt to eliminate content blocking. However, I would suggest three groups be made rather than two. Basically, for Zerg1, Zerg2 and Bystander. This would allow for spectators, gatherers and those who would think it funny to sow even more confusion and chaos in the battle access to the map to do so.

I was thinking about ratios like: zerg1/zerg2 - 45% of map limit each, and bystanders- 10% of map limit. Coding wise, it would add another check function to the sort, but, I think it would be good over-all. This announcement of the mechanic just seems like the right time and place to add this suggestion.
      I think it's not limited into 2 groups but basically based on percentage of strength between many groups ( it would be as many alliances/guilds as they have). For example, if there're 5 alliances in the cluster, they all will be counted and only a part of each group can be in the zone based on their numbers, which alliance has more numbers in overall would have more slots in the zone than others.