NDA Graveguard/Guardian Helm Changes

• New

Drama420 wrote:

yeah guardian h. is op, and after the buff it will be broken. Cursed needs lot of time to start to do real damage, if you can remove the dots it will not do damage before 15 sec, and after it will be cleansed againg.
      Please, remove cleanse of dots, or uograde the CD of spell to 50 sec.
      If Guardian helm is so OP how come hardly anyone uses them currently? Part of the reason for the GG nerf is so that people might start using it more. The game is not meant to be played with only a handful of viable builds.
    • New

Dc1a0 wrote:

Drama420 wrote:

yeah guardian h. is op, and after the buff it will be broken. Cursed needs lot of time to start to do real damage, if you can remove the dots it will not do damage before 15 sec, and after it will be cleansed againg.
      Please, remove cleanse of dots, or uograde the CD of spell to 50 sec.
      If Guardian helm is so OP how come hardly anyone uses them currently? Part of the reason for the GG nerf is so that people might start using it more. The game is not meant to be played with only a handful of viable builds.
      don't take care, after nerf all people will use guardian ;)
    • New

This game's balance is 100% rock paper scissor, that's what happens when you have only half a dozen skills... focusing those skills into a niche will make you excel at it and there is no room to make "balanced" builds.

If you are wearing PvE gear you will never catch someone for example.

If you are in catch gear you will never win a 1v1.

If you are in 1v1 gear you will not be able to ZvZ.

Since we have few skills it's all about countering and filling very specific niches.

If a guy is playing 1h cursed and a guy with cleric robe, guardian helm, assa shoes and a warbow shows up you are done, there is nothing you can do... he has 3 counters for your E and more mobility.

If you are playing a fire staff and a bloodletter decides to run from you there is nothing you can do.

That's how the game will always work as long as we have so few skills, there is no room to fill multiple niches.

I am not saying that each build should excel at everything, like WoW where everyone has 1 cc, 1 mobility, 2 damage, 1 defensives... but having more skills effectively do 3 things:

1. You have more spells, so you are not always waqiting for CDs... that gives you a chance of fighting multiple people.
      2. You have more room to make a generalist build.
      3. Adds complexity to the game

They copied the combat mechanics from MOBAs but they didnt stop to think that a MOBA happens in an Arena where each hero is expected to fill only a very specific role / match.

Then the same thing happened in Albion, you go out of Caerleon with gear to fill a specific role, if some form of content that is outside of that shows up you can't participate because there are no chances of winning.

If you go out in catch gear and a zvz happens you'd better go back to Caerleon and re-gear.
    • New

Devastate wrote:

Since we have few skills it's all about countering and filling very specific niches.
      While more skills for more variety would be good, I think it's also the ratios active skills. For instance, if Weapons had 2 (spam and unique) and chest had 2, helm and feet still had one, there would still be a lot more room for differentiation. as it would be both weapon and chest that made the main part of a build rather than just the weapon.

Granted, that ideally, it would probably be better to have 3 slots for hands, 2 for chest, 1 for head 1 for feet or something similar, and probably easier to implement given what is already there, but, I still think the ratios play a large role in the hard to balance state as well.
    • New

Devastate wrote:

That's how the game will always work as long as we have so few skills, there is no room to fill multiple niches.
      This is generally correct, and that is by design. Working as intended. My only "slight" disagreement is that - indeed you actually CAN make "generalist" builds, but of course as the role implies - you'll be average at everything. It works for me, as I just need to be "good enough" to succeed in 1v1 or 1v2 PVP and PVE - and then my mission is accomplished. If ZvZ happens (as you've said) - I'll be screwed, so I just position my game around either fully avoiding ZvZ (and sometimes thats not possible, but thats is just life), or I have ZvZ gear as closely accessible as possible - i.e at Towers or Warcamps.

Devastate wrote:

This game's balance is 100% rock paper scissor, that's what happens when you have only half a dozen skills... focusing those skills into a niche will make you excel at it and there is no room to make "balanced" builds.
      See my comment above regarding "generalist" builds. As in "balanced". I think you can still make balanced builds, at least those that can work in at least 50% of possible scenarios (so something that works for 1v1 PVP and PVE at the same time... so I can do RDG, and can put up a fight if Im dove or end up diving someone).

Devastate wrote:

They copied the combat mechanics from MOBAs but they didnt stop to think that a MOBA happens in an Arena where each hero is expected to fill only a very specific role / match.

Then the same thing happened in Albion, you go out of Caerleon with gear to fill a specific role, if some form of content that is outside of that shows up you can't participate because there are no chances of winning.

If you go out in catch gear and a zvz happens you'd better go back to Caerleon and re-gear.
      Correct - but this is by design I believe. I personally don't mind this system. This is what drives meta. As in - whatever activity you expect to be doing, that is the meta that you will follow. If you expect to do 2 types of activities (1v1 PVP and solo RDG for example) - you will bring one type of meta builds that covers both activities... if you expect to do Group RDG and expect to get into a small scale PVP fight - you will bring diff meta to cover both. You can mix and match activities - as described in a previous sentence, or you can go all specialized like for GvGs or HCE and bring meta (gear set) to only min-max that 1 specific activity.

So "balanced" and "generalized" builds are still there. I ran a "balanced" bloodletter build to solo PVE FF Roaming Mobs in Stonetop Sink when that was a thing - and it was balanced for 3 activities: PVE, 1v1 PVP and catch/escape.My build did not min-max excel at any of those 3, but the fact that it performed "well enough" for what I wanted to do (PVE and PVP while making Youtube solo PVP clips) - worked perfectly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().

• New

Thorbjorn wrote:

Great change. Same fillings as that change, when poison+merc jacket was nerfed. But as a curse main i think, that 30 sec is to OP. 40-45 sec will be ok imo.
      I tested this a while ago - using Cursed Beam works just fine to deal a lot of DMG and not relying on DOT dmg. So curse is still very much playable.

EDIT: Not to mention that Death Curse is on a 15 sec CD (you can get it down to 10-11 sec with leather and omelette - which is insane btw), so you should be able to easily get AT LEAST 1 full 4-vile stacked Death Curse in between the Guardian Helmet 30 sec CD (even if Guardian drops to 25 sec with CDR, still).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().

• New

Thorbjorn wrote:

Great change. Same fillings as that change, when poison+merc jacket was nerfed. But as a curse main i think, that 30 sec is to OP. 40-45 sec will be ok imo. Or maybe we need to 2 out of 4 Q stacks unpurgeable :D
      Guardian helm is meant to be a hard counter to curse. The only way your nerf would be feasible is if curse were nerfed so that curse DOT only worked in range, like most other weapons.
    • New

Thorbjorn wrote:

Captainrussia wrote:

Cursed Beam works just fine
      Yes, buta) remaining stationary all this long cast time
      b) cast can be interrupted with almost any skill in the game
      c) only 1 target
      Well, i don't like it tbh
      Correct, but thats the trade off.

Its the same logic (trade off) as Adrenaline Rush on Axes (IMHO a better skill for "general use") vs Spinning Blades. Every newb goes with spinning blades in Solo (just watch solo PVP clips on Youtube) - because "mOaR dAmAgE!!!" and gets horribly kited to death.

Would you be telling me that you don't like Adrenaline Rush, because it does not deal AOE DMG and just overall gives a smaller DMG boost? (I personally love the skill)

Same goes for Cursed Beam. Its meant to counter "DOT removing abilities", like Guardian Helmet. And btw:
      a) You don't have to remain stationary to cast it. There are some tricks in the game ;) (ask Boltcasters)
      b) Cast can be interrupted, true - but not by that many skills... and even if interrupted - its a W based skill, so those usually have short CD (base CD of Cursed Beam is 10 sec, you can get that to like 6-7 with CDR food/passives and even lower with some other dedicated gear)
      c) yes only one target - but so is Vile Curse (on the Q, I hate Curse Sickle for PVP) and so is Death Curse. IMHO Cursed Sickle needs a buff to flight speed (like Dual Swods got buff to its jump speed on E), because it feels really clunky and sucks for PVP.