Rich get richer, poor quit

• Rich get richer, poor quit

I don't see how these hideouts are going to solve any problems with large alliances. In fact I think it is going to escalate the issue.

If I brought a group of 20 hardcore players from another game into this game, what chance do they have to rise up? I wish I could figure out what articulous mortis (sp?) did and how may players they came in with? What cost did it take in their personal lives to do what they did. It was very impressive.Obviously there was no repeat performance, and how may of those players are still around?

This game with the cartel and other players with billions might think they are rich sitting in a castle with no one to play with. With the end game focus on GvG and the cost of playing for the average player being insane, there is a huge problem. Hideouts with taxers paid to the territory owner is the solution from SBI? Are they kidding?

My issue I have is they lett the cartel's on the city town plots go on and on (maybe this time it will start to make a difference in a town like Lymhurst). They allow the huge alliances with no penalties. All in the name it is a "sandbox". They spent the F2P bullet to bring in a lot of new players, what new idea can they do to bring in new players. I cannot recommend this game to anyone right now. Being a "have not" in this game and really no way to practice against the "haves" is getting very old. Practice between the "have nots" is just not the same. The price of an education is just to high in this game.

There is a simple mechanism to reward the smaller player working hard, while penalizing the large territory owners.

It needs to cost silver to own a controlling interest in a territory for the alliance which increases geometrically on the more territories you control and based on the alliance size.

Make the powerful control the most rewarding. Require territory ownership to be contiguous.

The season points are split between all the members of the alliance as well as the the cost of owning not just to the owner of the territory. There are a lot more ideas here, but this is just the highlights.

Make the battles between the territories more like the city fights get more players involved.

If you attack the other alliance picks which of the next three days it will occur.

IP cap with more balance depending on the zone. Everyone should be with at most a 5-10% boost based on skill and equipment.

Allow you to pick the times you will defend the mage's nobody should have to play this game 24/7 (4 hour window).

Make the map more focused between alliances, i.e. you don't need Money Guild attacking Martloc mages. Only allow attacks from territories so far from your own territories.

Alt guilds and alliances will be curtailed by having your accounts characters all join the alliance. Can this be done between accounts on the same IP and/or host?

I have a life outside this game (that is healthy) and I cannot afford to play 7 days a week. I guess I cannot compete in this game and for that reason I might just give up, but I keep hoping for some sort of indication the game will work for a smaller group of players.

Just one question I have how is owning hideouts which you can lose a lot of hard work for the average guild to the zerg alliances with a pay or die mentality going to help anything?
    • fillrup wrote:

what do you consider a casual player? I play 30+ hours a week, too much in my opinion. I just am seeing players leaving and with more games coming out I don't see a future if the game does not allow some hope for the more casual player. I do not want to be a professional albion player, I have a real career and family.
      if ur average is under 5 hours a day you are casual imo. but having a carear n family definitely would put you into a hybrid position of casual grinder. the ones leaving are usually under 20 year olds who have no clue about grinding cos they come from no grinder generation online games.
    • OP, take it this way, there is an higher chance you have an healthier and richer real life than many of the basement dwellers are missing. ;)
      Skills, time, strategy, organisation are compounding in the hands of people that put the effort in all areas, so it's not just a matter of time, there is lots of efforts that magnify the distance, just like there is a lot of skills and efforts that differentiate average citizens from self-made billionaires in real life.
      Games at the end of the day are a set of stats in a database that is likely to be wiped in 5/10 years, life is a lifetime worth of stats. Your choice.
      Take it easy.
      Synced Onetyper
    • fillrup wrote:

There is a simple mechanism to reward the smaller player working hard, while penalizing the large territory owners.

It needs to cost silver to own a controlling interest in a territory for the alliance which increases geometrically on the more territories you control and based on the alliance size.

Make the powerful control the most rewarding. Require territory ownership to be contiguous.
      This.
      T8 gatherer and bad healer.
    • fillrup wrote:

I cannot recommend this game to anyone right now. Being a "have not" in this game and really no way to practice against the "haves" is getting very old. Practice between the "have nots" is just not the same. The price of an education is just to high in this game.
      I think there was some talk around an "academy" style engagement (or tool?) in the game where veteran players could train newbies and get some kind of rewards. This was on a roadmap, but I wanna say something like 2 "roadmaps" ago - so sometime in 2018? @Evas_Flarelight if i may summon you to help me find that quote from the DEVs? I wonder what happened with that initiative?

fillrup wrote:

With the end game focus on GvG and the cost of playing for the average player being insane, there is a huge problem. Hideouts with taxers paid to the territory owner is the solution from SBI? Are they kidding?
      On a new upcoming map changes (Avalon) the map control will shift away from GvG and more to ZvZ (easier accessible to lower tier skill, much lower skill). Hideouts will shake up the territory meta, and allow you to basically have a terri without the need of a GvG (like it is now). You can still obviously lose it if you dont know what you are doing and are not able to negotiate, but still - the barriers to terri ownership will be much lowered with Hideouts.
      You no longer need a GvG team to own a terri (Hideout) - and that by itself speaks volumes.

fillrup wrote:

Just one question I have how is owning hideouts which you can lose a lot of hard work for the average guild to the zerg alliances with a pay or die mentality going to help anything?
      We'll see. At least the barrier of entry will be much lower. Anyone can "buy" and "plop down" a hideout (its basically like placing down furniture, with a longer "placement" timer of course). Whether they get to keep it - thats a whole different question and the whole point of a massive Geo-pilitically driven sandbox called Albion.

xcruciful wrote:

I know is frustrating.
      But there is no room for casual players.
      If you want territory.
      This is all about to change tho. Still will be hard if you are a "casual" - but much easier - as you will not longer need a GvG team to do it.

fillrup wrote:

what do you consider a casual player? I play 30+ hours a week, too much in my opinion.
      I play 2 hrs a day, more on the weekends, maybe twice that. So something like 4x2+2x5 = 18 hrs/week. Its tough but Im happy where I am. And I do the hardest content in the game - solo content that is. And I also try to maintain a Youtube channel in that time, where I try to show how to do everything as a solo with some "outside-the-box" mentality. I dunno... 30 hrs is a lot... I wish I had that much time. I used to at some point... but I no longer do, and I had to re-adjust.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().

• I by no means consider myself that casual. But I don't understand the shortsightedness of the player base. I am just seeing the exodus of players and with more games starting I don't see an influx of players to keep the game going.

I think the new map and ideas of hideouts will promote mega alliances not hinder them. This is not what a new player wants to see. But then again in the age of entitlements maybe the arch/sauce type guilds are what people want. Join them or be left out?

I felt the reset last week was down in terms of fighting. GvG's also seem to be down.

Some of the major casters are no longer casting Albion.

There are just signs the game has little influx of new blood. Every new game out there will take its cut from the p;layer base.

I left UO with 5 castles on Siege Perilous after 10 years of playing, I can obviously leave here as well, it isn't about the stuff its about the friends and people I play with.

If the game is about grinding through instanced hell gates or crystal battles I just don't see the point. Maybe I need to pay someone to play them for me?

I just don't see the solutions of a new map and hideouts will solve any of the problems, and no one here has explained why it will help attract a new player base or keep the average player base it now has.
    • fillrup wrote:

I by no means consider myself that casual. But I don't understand the shortsightedness of the player base. I am just seeing the exodus of players and with more games starting I don't see an influx of players to keep the game going.

I think the new map and ideas of hideouts will promote mega alliances not hinder them. This is not what a new player wants to see. But then again in the age of entitlements maybe the arch/sauce type guilds are what people want. Join them or be left out?

I felt the reset last week was down in terms of fighting. GvG's also seem to be down.

Some of the major casters are no longer casting Albion.

There are just signs the game has little influx of new blood. Every new game out there will take its cut from the p;layer base.

I left UO with 5 castles on Siege Perilous after 10 years of playing, I can obviously leave here as well, it isn't about the stuff its about the friends and people I play with.

If the game is about grinding through instanced hell gates or crystal battles I just don't see the point. Maybe I need to pay someone to play them for me?

I just don't see the solutions of a new map and hideouts will solve any of the problems, and no one here has explained why it will help attract a new player base or keep the average player base it now has
      Yeah i totally agree..
      It is the same flawed principle with the small castles.. It was intended to bring castle content to small guilds but it just gets dominated by large guilds..

Its obvious the game direction is heavily influenced by large alliances. I am sure the game developers are afraid that the large alliances will influence their members to join another game, so they tend to give in to their wishes. From a Business perspective i cannot fault this approach, but i do think its a mistake. In all probability mega alliances probably do more to create player detachment from the game than what is realized, even members of the alliance. In these Mega alliances, you are just a number that can hold a weapon, but it is virtually required to gain access to resources and zones. At least with some significant safety

In Small guilds, people tend to make friends and enjoy doing the content together, however the enjoyment is quickly suffocated by the frustration of trying to participate in any late game content. We have all seen dozens of good people that enjoy pvp, get frustrated and uninstall and walk away from the game.. Its not because they are Anti PvP , its because the systems in place relinquishes any and all benefits for being a non-zerg group.

Mega alliances should have been dissolved a year ago before letting all the new potential long term players from FTP come in and get abused by these alliances. Alliance rules to attack anyone in their terry is understandable, but not when you own 3/4th of the map and are portal locked for 30 days at a time to boot! In real life terms, a newer smaller guild is like trying to open a retail store and your main competitor is wal-mart. Now ask yourselves, does that sound like fun?

I love the game , but just imagine how much more fun this can could be if guilds were fighting guilds .. not mega alliances plowing over everyone creating a atmosphere of extortion. If the developers really looked at the player base they would see that these guilds they spot light and tout as new and upcoming are just recycled players.. Recycled long term'ers jumping from guild to guild and these guilds are simply jumping from alliance to alliance.. I bet the retention rates of the average mega alliance member is very small.. From what i have been told its not an enjoyable experience to be a pleb in an mega alliance, but you have to endure to have access to end game? it just Does not sound like a recipe for a successful long term game.

EDIT: Whoa sorry for the grammatical and spelling errors.. i originally wrote this on my phone and i just re-read it! Edited to make it readable.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Loxxxx ().

• Captainrussia wrote:

fillrup wrote:

I cannot recommend this game to anyone right now. Being a "have not" in this game and really no way to practice against the "haves" is getting very old. Practice between the "have nots" is just not the same. The price of an education is just to high in this game.
      I think there was some talk around an "academy" style engagement (or tool?) in the game where veteran players could train newbies and get some kind of rewards. This was on a roadmap, but I wanna say something like 2 "roadmaps" ago - so sometime in 2018? @Evas_Flarelight if i may summon you to help me find that quote from the DEVs? I wonder what happened with that initiative?

From the Development Roadmap beyond Merlyn

Eltharyon wrote:

Social & New Player Experience
      • New Starting Experience
        • We’re working on a completely new starting experience
        • New players will be able to select their starting town
        • The initial island will be extended to cover additional tutorial topics and we’re adding more explanations for beginning players

• Albion Academy
        • Albion Academy is a new system building you’ll find in starting towns
        • It will provide quests for new players, encouraging them to learn Albion’s systems and rewarding them for trying out PvP, guilds, open-world PvE, and other features many new players are reluctant to try

• Party Finder
        • The party finder will enable players to start “lobbies” for activities they want to pursue in Albion Online
        • Other players can browse these lobbies and join these activities, enabling solo players (or players whose guild mates are not online) to find other players for the activities they want to pursue

• Mentoring System
        • We’re planning to introduce a mentoring system, which rewards experienced players for tutoring beginning players and supporting them while they find their bearings in Albion Online

So to summarize the updates for the Social and New Player Experience:

H4n1baL wrote:

Hey @Captainrussia!
      Yes, it's still on our roadmap. But I cannot give you an ETA right now.

- Lino

• Player112 wrote:

fillrup wrote:

no one here has explained why it will help attract a new player base or keep the average player base it now has.
      F2P has proven to be able to bring in new players. All they have to do is do a better F2P than the last F2P. I am not convinced anything else will work.
      F2P was already done how do you do it again? Free Island? Free focus points? I think we already have an issue with players having multiple accounts.I think this would more of a problem and totally unbalance the economy.

Evas_Flarelight wrote:

Captainrussia wrote:

fillrup wrote:

From the Development Roadmap beyond Merlyn

Eltharyon wrote:

Social & New Player Experience
      • New Starting Experience
        • We’re working on a completely new starting experience
        • New players will be able to select their starting town
        • The initial island will be extended to cover additional tutorial topics and we’re adding more explanations for beginning players

• Albion Academy
        • Albion Academy is a new system building you’ll find in starting towns
        • It will provide quests for new players, encouraging them to learn Albion’s systems and rewarding them for trying out PvP, guilds, open-world PvE, and other features many new players are reluctant to try

• Party Finder
        • The party finder will enable players to start “lobbies” for activities they want to pursue in Albion Online
        • Other players can browse these lobbies and join these activities, enabling solo players (or players whose guild mates are not online) to find other players for the activities they want to pursue

• Mentoring System
        • We’re planning to introduce a mentoring system, which rewards experienced players for tutoring beginning players and supporting them while they find their bearings in Albion Online

So to summarize the updates for the Social and New Player Experience:

H4n1baL wrote:

Hey @Captainrussia!
      Yes, it's still on our roadmap. But I cannot give you an ETA right now.

- Lino

And this will fix the issue of mega-alliances? Join them or be forever handicapped. Is this a healthy way to grow a game?

Another problem in this game there is too much instanced content. When the primary content shown on twitch channels is instanced content, it is hardly a true sandbox, Then again the open-world content is very far and few between and has issues with streaming.

Sorry if I feel the game has catered to the easy way of grinding for the established players, while leaving newer players as cannon fodder.

Everything in the above game enhancements has nothing to do with the issues facing newer players. The party finder ..... really? How well has that worked out for you? I don't trust any random player when wearing anything of value. Enough said.
    • Gank wrote:

Articulo mortis has the backing of mega zergs in resouces Naps and players. None of them were new and all of them were high specced and rich prior to reforming. They also abused mercenaries.
      Which mercenaries are you talking about ? I'd like to know at which point any mega zerg help us too. I guess it is squad. The only time we got help of a zerg was to do a BA + AM vs KFC and we got rekt. We fought squad at castle / WC / mage defence and GvGs.
      What's true was that we knew what to do, had high specs / experience and Vasort gave the guild some funds to start the guild and buy townplots.
    • ElKite wrote:

Gank wrote:

Articulo mortis has the backing of mega zergs in resouces Naps and players. None of them were new and all of them were high specced and rich prior to reforming. They also abused mercenaries.
      Which mercenaries are you talking about ? I'd like to know at which point any mega zerg help us too. I guess it is squad. The only time we got help of a zerg was to do a BA + AM vs KFC and we got rekt. We fought squad at castle / WC / mage defence and GvGs. What's true was that we knew what to do, had high specs / experience and Vasort gave the guild some funds to start the guild and buy townplots.
      Eos slave