Let some stacks drop when downed.

• Let some stacks drop when downed.

As things stand currently, when a player is downed by a mob or in a yellow zone regardless, their armor takes wear and the system drops 10% of the repair costs as well as some of whats in that player's inventory vanishing into nothingness. What I propose, is that instead of just vanishing into nothingness, at least some percentage, or even just a chance for some percentage of it to drop as loot instead. Even if the vanish rate was raised to compensate it wouldn't change the benefits.
      • A player in a blue zone or downed by mobs alone could feel like they were picking up some of what they dropped (even if the rate was changed, that the amount that just vanished remained the same)
      • It would make yellow zone PVP a little more rewarding and hence increase the value in doing it as the victor would get some loot, or at least a chance at some loot instead of just the server generated silver drop.
      • Having more reason to engage in yellow zone PVP would more than likely increase yellow zone PVP, which would help bring those zones back to purpose - training.
      • The increased PVP in the yellow zones would restore the risk-reward paradigm that is currently missing in yellow zones.
    • Im pretty sure the reward structure in yellow zones are as such to motivate gankers to move on to the real risk zones as well as motivate gatherers to leave the safer blue zones via a balance. Making this change would keep more gatherers in blue zones.

I myself can not but laugh at a gankers pointless act of ganking in a yellow zone at no reward but I understand their own fears as first time gankers and not knowing what to expect. Fact is this game is very flooded by gankers that want it even easier and making a change like this would attract swarms of gankers to a zone with even less risk.

The yellow zones are IMO just a bit stop and as you said training for the real deal. If you feel like an improvement I needed in the zone your probably spending too much time in it already.

Just a though...
    • Zenthis wrote:

your probably spending too much time in it already.
      Unfortunately, it takes a long time for those trying to get their gathering up high enough to be viable in the black zones. The time it takes is compounded by lack of availability of resources due to people who spend all day in yellow zones on oxen. This is creating a bottle-neck making others stuck there as well, That is part of what I've been trying to address in attempts to fix.

Zenthis wrote:

gankers pointless act of ganking in a yellow zone at no reward
      Actually, I've recently created a character for the purpose of trying to clear up the bottleneck myself. As there is one reward to ganking in a yellow-zone as things stand - griefing. If it was more rewarding, more would do it and I wouldn't need to create a character for this express purpose. That said though, imagine how much complaining is going to start on here when that character is ready and starts attacking ox gatherers for the express purpose of making them lose as many stacks as possible.

If I can get SBI to address their own bottleneck I can use this new character as a more traditional alt, If instead I have to create a griefer that's against even my own sense of decency, so be it.
    • The current system is set up to discourage players from griefing in yellow zones.

Imagine if your suggestion was implemented; a ganker in a yellow zone would have absolutely no risk to try and knock players down - no matter how small the percentage of getting the drop actually is. He himself would have nothing to lose, he could only gain. I imagine yellow zones would quickly become flooded with no-risk gankers, making life difficult for gatherers.

As it currently stands, the yellow zone provides a good opportunity for open-world PvP training but if that was rewarded through game mechanics, things could quickly spiral out of control.
    • Elsa wrote:

The current system is set up to discourage players from griefing in yellow zones.
      I'm sorry to disagree, but the current system is set up backwards then, as the only reason for PVP in yellow zones is for griefing. As it stands causing grief is the only reason to PVP in yellow zones at all.

My suggestion, doesn't even really change the current system. as the risk to both sides would keep the same balance, Also, it would even be more rewarding for blue zones if it was implemented, doubly so if the loss rate wasn't modified to compensate. as then to all downs the could get a % back of what right now just vanishes.

If implemented, the risk-reward balance would be easy to adjust by adjusting the % of what drops and what vanishes.

As an added bonus, it would teach gatherers in yellow zones how to protect themselves better, which would help more eventually progress beyond that, rather than creating a bottleneck.
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

Dc1a0 wrote:

Unfortunately, it takes a long time for those trying to get their gathering up high enough to be viable in the black zones.
      It takes a long time to get to T4 tool...?
      A T4 tool is all but useless in the black zone. as it's the base in the lowest for the zones I've been in and you can forget helping guild mates with an aspect. You need at least T5 tools, though T6 would allow you to actually make use of the maps.
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

that's funny... cuz i went to BZs immediately after getting T4 tool, and back then it was 50% harder

must be a L2P issue
      Or it's possibly an issue due to where a guild is based out of. that with some luck, might improve with the new BZ continent map. I think I know what you're talking about but that would mean I could gather once every 60 days and do things with guild every 60 days as they would have to alternate due to portal lock. as I have no intention of spending a half nour traveling in BZ each way to do both things.
    • Funny how Redzones have the highest enchantment rate for under T6 gathering. Almost like you’re encouraged to be gathering there before transitioning to BZ. after T6 it doesn’t matter where your guild lives for BZ since every zone has something for you to hit.

Like Elsa said, it’s a broken idea from the start.
      Gatherers have materials in their inventory, they have something at risk by going down. Gankers, in contrast, have nothing in their inventory, so nothing to lose by going down.
    • owensssss wrote:

Gatherers have materials in their inventory, they have something at risk by going down. Gankers, in contrast, have nothing in their inventory, so nothing to lose by going down.
      A) This problem exists the way things are currently. However, right now, since there's no other benefit, the ONLY reason currently to flag red and attack in a yellow zone is to grief.

B) I'd have no problem with adding to the idea that flagging red means you become full-loot anywhere you can attack/be attacked. Which means yellow zones currently. I wouldn't suggest letting it extend to blue zones, as I've seen lots of new people experiment with flagging in blue zones.
    • Dc1a0 wrote:

owensssss wrote:

A) This problem exists the way things are currently. However, right now, since there's no other benefit, the ONLY reason currently to flag red and attack in a yellow zone is to grief.
      B) I'd have no problem with adding to the idea that flagging red means you become full-loot anywhere you can attack/be attacked. Which means yellow zones currently. I wouldn't suggest letting it extend to blue zones, as I've seen lots of new people experiment with flagging in blue zones.
      I think the main issue you are having is that you want yellow zones to be more than just a training wheels pvp zone. The problem is that is what they are intended to be. It's just a place for people to start getting used to being in pvp areas. A place to fall back to when you start going out into red zones.

They are a noob trap and spending too much time in them is one of the biggest mistakes people make in AO. All of your problems are solve if you just go one more zone to a red zone.

The risk reward in yellow zones is fine, since they are so crowded with people. You aren't risking much and you aren't getting much for that risk.
      Discord: Piddle#7413