Can we expect royal armor pieces rework?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• McDobs wrote:

Personally I would love to see more energy drain mechanisms.

I think SBI's being very careful with energy drain mechanics. Similar to how people hate being oneshot, people hate feeling like they had little control in a fight. SBI nerfed oneshotting across the board with HP increases, and now they're nerfing CC effects by increasing CC resistance on (almost) all armors. Energy drain is an interesting mechanic, but I think the reason they aren't working on it for now is because it either stays unusable, or it's too strong and people will complain and it's another thing they have to nerf.

Not to say the game is in a perfect balance state, I see plenty of comboguard complaints on the forums, but things like comboguard can be countered no matter what weapon you're using, either by armor abilities or by simply adjusting your playstyle. Adjusting playstyle is huge, because it becomes much trickier to balance when weapons have such a wide variety of mana-consumption levels when the game currently has very few viable mana regen options. So it can lead to a mechanic that will absolutely screw someone using say, an axe, while someone using a crossbow may not even notice a difference.

I will say this game feels nice in that, at least in solo fights, I rarely feel like there's nothing I can do to win. Player skill matters much more than build...assuming you're not using some completely bizarre, unviable build, and I think SBI wants to keep it that way. That as long as you're using a somewhat synergistic build, you won't ever be fully countered.
    • I'll just do a personal breakdown of all pieces before giving my feedback:

Royal cowl - Heavy use from PvP to PvE, great item.
      Royal robe - Primarily only seen in PvE, but a solid item overall.
      Royal sandals - A little on the meme side, with not many wanting to use a cloth item that reduces resistances, but some untapped potential I believe.

Royal hood - Decent for ZvZ I guess, and some silly one shot PvP history, but overall I hate the cooldown exchange for the bonus damage, and feel the item looks horrendous at lower tiers.
      Royal robe - Mixed usage and a lot of potential, a solid item and an interesting unique for the leather line
      Royal shoes - Were strong with the long i-frame and low cd, however with the mobility changes, the evasion and following mobility with the assassin shoes seems far more valuable.

Royal helm - Cool ability overall, much better after the change in delay
      Royal armor - Seeing the artwork of a plate user in royal armor with a fire staff seems cool, but it is far from enabling any sort of battle-mage builds, feels out of place right now.
      Royal boots - Used to be crazy strong, but just feel weak across the board right now, I feel like they try do too much, if they had a main strength, like cc resist/mobility/resistances, they could be interesting but overall they just feel bad.

Past that we have the armor appearances, honestly I feel like they mesh terribly with all other armor pieces (I guess we have skins coming soon to help this). I feel like the items (as I have mentioned before) should be re-named "Guild" armors instead of "Royal" armors, then have the red/gold changed to a guilds primary/secondary colors, enabling you to represent your guild on the field with more than just capes/shields.

The cloth and leather pieces overall offer interesting team support utility, but the plate armor simply doesn't. The energy steal potential is really high IF you have the circle filled with allies and enemies. But especially with things like lymhurst capes in the game, especially on top of royal cowls, this plate piece has been made completely redundant.

Leather piece reduces cooldowns, makes sense and works well
      Cloth piece boots damage and heal power, makes sense and works well
      Plate piece... steals energy? Surely boosting resistances and cc resistance would fall more in line with the overall premise of the other chest pieces?

I think the royal boots would make more sense if they were reworked to give you complete cc immunity during the march period, followed by a move speed increase with bolstered resistances afterwards. Allowing front liners to counter and engage, and push forward into the fight on the push after.

The royal shoes at this point simply do the same thing as the assassin shoes, and personally if I want a low cd i-frame I will just use the stalker shoes, as they also provide some other utility. A longer range instant mobility could be really interesting instead, say like a long range jump (12-15m?) but that is not immune to cc, and offers no i-frame. So you could cover a large distance for an engage (or retreat), but it could also be countered by players paying attention. Think an animation somewhat similar to snare charge that is easily identifiable, perhaps with a fixed amount of airtime, similar to the reworked double bladed staff, so if you were using it short-range, or to it's maximum range, you would still have to use the same amount of air time to ensure countering it remains possible and consistent.
      Hop on in to my Discord and Twitch ^^
    • Dc1a0 wrote:

gmatagmis wrote:

+ for reworking royal gear price first of all)))
      The price isn't in SBI's realm. as market is player driven. Just remember that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As long as people are willing to pay those prices for them, that's what they will be worth. As F2P, I'm glad, as the profit on them is great even without premium or focus.

Oh no there is very much a problem with the pricing, this is honestly only a problem because you have to do instanced content in the cities for the sigils. These need to have more availability in the open world to ensure that players can play how they want to play for the gear they want. Personally I hate HCE's and being forced to do them for sigils, especially because, for whatever reason, you cannot do them if you are low rep... This area is in dire need of attention.
      Hop on in to my Discord and Twitch ^^
    • I think the abilities themselves are not bad if you think about it. The big problem is that these pieces don't really have any content you can do with them. The best use would be PVE grinding but then you are probably going to run random dungeons and there you still need to gear for PVP in case you get dove and need to fight back.
      The only place you can use them are HCEs but that is dead content right now so there is not much use.

I do have an idea for a rework for the chest pieces though.

Royal Robe, instead of dropping the mark on the ground the user would carry it with them just like the Royal Jacket except they won't be getting stacks from the aura. I think that would make it more useful in content like ZVZ that would support the DPS on a push to give that extra damage or the healers for the extra healing. The reason why the user does not get any stacks is because it otherwise be too strong if used for person use only.

Royal Jacket, remove the cooldown modifier effect and instead replace it with 30% damage increase and 30% increased movement speed (won't stack with other royal jackets) and lower the duration to 4-5 seconds. Now this item would become huge because it would be the only item outside boots to give movement speed and would be an instant hit for ganking. The reason why I think this won't be too gamebreaking is because the specter jacket + quarrier boots combo exists which gives a much larger bonus for a longer duration.

Royal Armor, the ability for this piece is weird as it does not follow the standard plate theme so i decided to think of something new and my idea is an ability called Lifelink. When used on an ally they get a buff where all the damage that they receive after armor/magic resist and will instead be targeted at the lifelink user as true damage. True damage is used to prevent double mitigation. When used on an enemy they get a debuff where all healing that they receive will also be received by by the lifelink user. This armor piece would see use in GVGs as it is a direct way to mitigate all damage on a specific person. This armor alone would destroy comps that target a single person and burst them down. It would also be a nice survival tool if used on a target that will receive large heals.
    • Khladraven wrote:

Oh no there is very much a problem with the pricing, this is honestly only a problem because you have to do instanced content in the cities for the sigils. These need to have more availability in the open world to ensure that players can play how they want to play for the gear they want. Personally I hate HCE's and being forced to do them for sigils, especially because, for whatever reason, you cannot do them if you are low rep... This area is in dire need of attention.
      Pre F2P sigil prices were pretty static. A T4 sat at around the 30k mark forever. On F2P the price dropped and dropped till it plateaued for a good while at 10k due to new players running standard expeditions. As players moved on to other things the price has risen again and currently 50-60k which as fusion said, makes it a great money earner that a new player can do for 10 mins a day of time. Id like to see them stay in expeditions .. ALL content should have a purpose.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter