Warlock, especially Cursed Skull (UP)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MEATCUP wrote:

moving into a double status like fear and silence -
      If I’m feared, to counter - would have to prepot the knight helm or cast it during influence.
      If I’m silenced, I would have to cleanse but I can’t cleanse during fear.

Please weigh in if I don’t consider other options.

Putting both would make it very difficult to reactive counter and easily baitable as an easier active counter.
      I’d only implement if case time was wayyyy higher to compensate
      Lol, I meant they are silenced because they fear the Haunting Screams, not that the actually "Fear" as an effect is there. It wouldn't make sense to make the dear effect on the Haunting Screams because they should stay in it as long as possible to deal most damage.

If you don't like the Silence idea it's ok.. I have some more listed above... Hope you like them more lol
    • Ok I know you guys don't even care BUT I was going through some builds and saw that bow... BADON BOW. So the storm of this bow does 74dmg every 0.3s for 4.8s + 7 times more after leaving the storm + interrupts spells (IP 1060). So... I don't want to say anything but HOW IS THIS BALANCED? The Haunting Scream is doing on the same IP 134dmg every second + 2%hp against players for (I counted around 7s-8s [No Seconds given]). That's around 230hp less DMG + no side effects like spell interruption and no extra ticks of DMG when you go away from the area. So I think SBI needs to rework a bit.
    • Ghurayb wrote:

Ok I know you guys don't even care BUT I was going through some builds and saw that bow... BADON BOW. So the storm of this bow does 74dmg every 0.3s for 4.8s + 7 times more after leaving the storm + interrupts spells (IP 1060). So... I don't want to say anything but HOW IS THIS BALANCED? The Haunting Scream is doing on the same IP 134dmg every second + 2%hp against players for (I counted around 7s-8s [No Seconds given]). That's around 230hp less DMG + no side effects like spell interruption and no extra ticks of DMG when you go away from the area. So I think SBI needs to rework a bit.
      yeah but Badon is a Relic level artifact, while Cursed Skull is a Soul level (1 level below that of Badon Bow).

You should be comparing Damantion Staff with Badon Bow.
    • I made a post about the current roles of curse staves a while back. My frustration, is that no one could clearly identify the "role" that curse staves play. Every single post was different... People were saying:
      -its a support weapon
      -its a nuke weapon
      -its a ramp up weapon
      -its a tank weapon (lololol)
      -its strictly for debuffing

My frustration is that every weapon line has a pretty "obvious" role. I do not like that curse is like the misfit toy. Sure, it can be versatile, but it doesn't really exceed in any role.
    • The cursed sickle (Q), is too slow, and can be very easily dodged. The "W" abilities are lacking outside of desecrate. Armor piercer has way to big of a delay on cast, and is often missed if there is no CC.

The E's for the most part I'm okay with in large scale content, unfortunately though, I find that with curse- I often have to set up my own abilities. All other mage classes have the ability to play in sync with other classes, but I feel like curse is an "on their own" kind of role.

In GvG's, an area of decay is nearly always casted after a desecrate. A demonic staff is generally placed after a desecrate. All but one of the cursed staves require pretty substantial CC to utilize.
    • Dc1a0 wrote:

jwhite179 wrote:

Sure, it can be versatile, but it doesn't really exceed in any role.
      It exceeds in letting victims die out of range, Curse can kill someone even after they leave the map.
      That's assuming that you were able to get 4 stacks on them.. Assuming you land one hit from the cursed sickle every cast, (instead of two), it would take 20seconds of combat to proc 4 stacks. Which, alone, Is nowhere near enough kill potential.
    • jwhite179 wrote:

The cursed sickle (Q), is too slow, and can be very easily dodged. The "W" abilities are lacking outside of desecrate. Armor piercer has way to big of a delay on cast, and is often missed if there is no CC.

The E's for the most part I'm okay with in large scale content, unfortunately though, I find that with curse- I often have to set up my own abilities. All other mage classes have the ability to play in sync with other classes, but I feel like curse is an "on their own" kind of role.

In GvG's, an area of decay is nearly always casted after a desecrate. A demonic staff is generally placed after a desecrate. All but one of the cursed staves require pretty substantial CC to utilize.

jwhite179 wrote:

That's assuming that you were able to get 4 stacks on them.. Assuming you land one hit from the cursed sickle every cast, (instead of two), it would take 20seconds of combat to proc 4 stacks. Which, alone, Is nowhere near enough kill potential.
      Dude this is what I also wrote and these people simply don't understand. They just say: "everything fine and btw Damnation is Op. Shit Damnation, always claps me"

So the only thing to do next is playing with fixes on a test server and decide if Q+W spells of cursed staffs are getting buffs/ rework and if cursed skull finally becomes a better E/buff
    • Ghurayb wrote:

I think what matters is the same IP. I can't find any other weapons that use similar E spells so I could compare with the Brimstone Staff: Brimstone is not dodgeble while rooted/stunned but Haunting Screams are. BS does extreme burst and Dot DMG while CS does weak dot DMG. Fine now?
      Well yes - thats a much better comparison. A soul artifact vs another soul artifact.
      Now you have to keep in mind that in ZvZ (or even small scale, hell even in 1v1) instant (burst) DMG is always favored over DoT's. Favored does not mean its the best - but its just that - its favored, i.e preferred - because people don't like to have long(er) drawn out fights.
      Keeping the above in mind - usually DoT deals more DMG overall (looks at Greataxe E or Blazing for example) then instant Burst DMG, but instant is good because it does not take time to do its job (kill).

Looking at Tier8 Brimstone vs Cursed skill at 0/400 spec and 0 mastery (just paper DMG), we note that Haunting Screams Does (148 + 2%)/sec DMG or on a target with 2500 HP that would be (148+50=198)/sec in a 6m radius (I'll explain why R matters in a bit), and lasts about 6 sec = thats 6*198 = 1188 DMG

Brimstone does 1468 DMG (CD is the same for both = 30 sec). But the range on Brimstone is about 4 meters, while range on Cursed Skull is 6 meters. So there is a bigger radius = more targets can be affected by haunting screams and you can a) deal DMG to more targets b) get a higher AOE escalation bonus and end up dealing more DMG then the Brimstone actually.

In ZvZ especially being able to deliver "instant" DMG is a big bonus - because ZvZ is all about coordination, and basically coordinating some of your tanks to throw down CC and then throw down burst dmg = thats a recipe for a juicy multikill clap.

jwhite179 wrote:

My frustration is that every weapon line has a pretty "obvious" role. I do not like that curse is like the misfit toy. Sure, it can be versatile, but it doesn't really exceed in any role.
      I think in this specific thread - to the Curse Skull discussion - the E is a really good "area denial" spell. It almost comes with a "built in fear" as people will try to run out of range as soon as they see it... and if you can actually clump people up, you can get some really nice DMG with the AOE escalation. But used in defensive (when retreating, or when your engage failed - or simply throwing it on a choke) - it can be a good area denial. Now Im not saying Haunting Screams does not need a buff... but there are "niche" ways to use it...
    • Crowd Control Resistance Factor:

• Scholar Robe 0.00 -> 0.24
      • Cleric Robe 0.00 -> 0.22
      • Mage Robe 0.00 -> 0.20
      • Mercenary Jacket 0.20 -> 0.30
      • Hunter Jacket 0.15 -> 0.28
      • Assassin Jacket 0.10 -> 0.26
      • Soldier Armor 0.40 -> 0.40
      • Knight Armor 0.45 -> 0.45
      • Guardian Armor 0.50

Based off of the NDA, Brimstone will actually be more beneficial than a cursed skull.. Cursed skull wont have enough supporting CC for the duration to pull its affect. Curse in general will be severely nerfed this next patch, due to heavily relying on CC.

• Captainrussia wrote:

Looking at Tier8 Brimstone vs Cursed skill at 0/400 spec and 0 mastery (just paper DMG), we note that Haunting Screams Does (148 + 2%)/sec DMG or on a target with 2500 HP that would be (148+50=198)/sec in a 6m radius (I'll explain why R matters in a bit), and lasts about 6 sec = thats 6*198 = 1188 DMG

Brimstone does 1468 DMG (CD is the same for both = 30 sec). But the range on Brimstone is about 4 meters, while range on Cursed Skull is 6 meters. So there is a bigger radius = more targets can be affected by haunting screams and you can a) deal DMG to more targets b) get a higher AOE escalation bonus and end up dealing more DMG then the Brimstone actually.

In ZvZ especially being able to deliver "instant" DMG is a big bonus - because ZvZ is all about coordination, and basically coordinating some of your tanks to throw down CC and then throw down burst dmg = thats a recipe for a juicy multikill clap.
      I think in this specific thread - to the Curse Skull discussion - the E is a really good "area denial" spell. It almost comes with a "built in fear" as people will try to run out of range as soon as they see it... and if you can actually clump people up, you can get some really nice DMG with the AOE escalation. But used in defensive (when retreating, or when your engage failed - or simply throwing it on a choke) - it can be a good area denial. Now Im not saying Haunting Screams does not need a buff... but there are "niche" ways to use it...
      Nobody needs to fear a spell that deals 188 DMG per second. Just need to slowly go away and you gained nearly no damage. I never saw anyone fearing the HS so dude! There is nothing with this weapon. It was supposed to be a DMG dealer for PvP (as you can see by the +2%hp DMG) but it is too bad that nobody cares. You do DMG only in pve cuz the mobs don't run away
    • This post has to be a joke. Please dont touch cursed staffs - one of the most balanced trees in the game, hands down. Cursed is good in everything -

PvE - A lot of great options, my favourite is damnation staff
      1v1's, small scae - one handed curse really strong, cant reflect damage anymore after the buffs to it.
      2v2's - great cursed compared with nature healer is one of the strongest, if not the strongest comp right now.
      5v5's - great cursed is meta weapon, S tier, super strong.
      ZvZ - People talk about how damnation is broken, i disagree, but damnation is in really strong place and makes zerg a lot stronger.

Maybe lifecurse and demonic are a bit too weak, but honestly every single tree in the game has atleast one or two bad items.
    • bishDEFORMED wrote:

This post has to be a joke. Please dont touch cursed staffs - one of the most balanced trees in the game, hands down. Cursed is good in everything -

1v1's, small scae - one handed curse really strong, cant reflect damage anymore after the buffs to it.
      2v2's - great cursed compared with nature healer is one of the strongest, if not the strongest comp right now.
      ZvZ - People talk about how damnation is broken, i disagree, but damnation is in really strong place and makes zerg a lot stronger.

Maybe lifecurse and demonic are a bit too weak, but honestly every single tree in the game has atleast one or two bad items.
      This post is not a joke. Try playing the Cursed Skull and you find out why I find that it is pretty underpowered. I agree that 1h, GC, and Damnation are in a good place but the Cursed Skull is not. We all know that Lifecurse is not strong either but it has potential for a tank (you can watch a video of captainrussia). The Demonic staff has also good potential, because it reduces healing by 60%, what is good against holy staffs and the GG+Cleric combo.

Only the Haunting Screams of the Cursed Skull, that supposed to be one of the damage dealers in this tree, is not in a good place. It a) deals too less dmg b) is too easy dodgeble c) does only damage and has no other effects. If a) b) OR c) is fixed by a buff/rework, everything would be fine again.

We had that a lot of times but you obviously didn't read the other posts so I will summarize few fixing options:

a) more damage
      b) larger radius
      c) (new idea) does only true damage
      d) slows enemies down in the area (CC)
      e) spell interruption
      d) reduction of the resisdences (not my fav cuz Damnation already does that)
      e) Silence
      f) shorter cd (the GC has only 25s; the 1h 15s)

g) also buffing the Q and W abilities (for all cursed staffs ofc)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghurayb ().

• Ghurayb wrote:

bishDEFORMED wrote:

This post has to be a joke. Please dont touch cursed staffs - one of the most balanced trees in the game, hands down. Cursed is good in everything -

This post is not a joke. Try playing the Cursed Skull and you find out why I find that it is pretty underpowered. I agree that 1h, GC, and Damnation are in a good place but the Cursed Skull is not. We all know that Lifecurse is not strong either but it has potential for a tank (you can watch a video of captainrussia). The Demonic staff has also good potential, because it reduces healing by 60%, what is good against holy staffs and the GG+Cleric combo.
      Only the Haunting Screams of the Cursed Skull, that supposed to be one of the damage dealers in this tree, is not in a good place. It a) deals too less dmg b) is too easy dodgeble c) does only damage and has no other effects. If a) b) OR c) is fixed by a buff/rework, everything would be fine again.

We had that a lot of times but you obviously didn't read the other posts so I will summarize few fixing options:

a) more damage
      b) larger radius
      c) (new idea) does only true damage
      d) slows enemies down in the area (CC)
      e) spell interruption
      d) reduction of the resisdences (not my fav cuz Damnation already does that)
      e) Silence
      f) shorter cd (the GC has only 25s; the 1h 15s)

g) also buffing the Q and W abilities (for all cursed staffs ofc)
      As i said there are like atleast 3 underpowered items in each tree. That doesnt make whole Warlock tree weak. I still find cursed skull really good while solo leveling artifact cursed staffs. It has low cooldown (30 sec without omelette) and it clears dungeons pretty nice and its REALLY powerful when people dive you, so you can turn on them with your E. I really dont get why you are mentioning whole tree, warlock is fine. Maybe like 8m radius would be cool to see on a cursed skull, rest of it is fine. Damage is really high if people stand in it. Shit like silence, resistance reduce or other shit would make it just aids and super overpowered. Its usable in bunch of different situations + Desecrate and other CC from other players can keep people in same place. True damage is already super strong enough. Maybe a really small buff towards radius or cd could be fine, anything else would be just dumb to buff. Cursed staffs are super strong rn and buffing them would be a nightmare.
    • bishDEFORMED wrote:

That's actually not true. The entire meta has shifted to frost. Most comps have started running dual holy healer (5's), or 1h holy for 2's. Your idea of S tier, is outdated.
    • jwhite179 wrote:

bishDEFORMED wrote:

That's actually not true. The entire meta has shifted to frost. Most comps have started running dual holy healer (5's), or 1h holy for 2's. Your idea of S tier, is outdated.
      I literally havent said that curse is best rdps weapon right now in the meta. Frost has been the best rdps weapon since the new Q came out, but it totally doesnt mean that it is the only one rdps weapon which is S tier. And i believe that frost will keep recieving nerfs and curse will be as strong as frost in upcoming patches.
    • bishDEFORMED wrote:

I literally havent said that curse is best rdps weapon right now in the meta. Frost has been the best rdps weapon since the new Q came out, but it totally doesnt mean that it is the only one rdps weapon which is S tier. And i believe that frost will keep recieving nerfs and curse will be as strong as frost in upcoming patches.
      We don't need nerfs! We need buffs! Warlock needs better/buffed Qs and buffed Ws! And the Haunting Screams need to be fixed, so everything is fine. If you'd nerf frost it would be extreme weak again and only fire staffs will be good damage dealers in zvzs.