Alternative way to fix mount sound spam

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Since a few invested against this idea, and some that prefer to argue
      with the OP than to actually discuss the merits of the idea have, (not
      completely unsuccessfully,) to derail this thread. In order to attempt
      to encourage actual thoughtful discourse on the subject, it seems time
      for a recap.

Though, the title of this thread is reactionary to another thread, it
      does pay homage to that thread for being how this idea formed. The idea
      came from those using a transport mechanic for gather in order to create
      a bottle-neck in low tier gathering, wanting to make their misuse of
      the transport mechanic easier on them by wanting to disable sounds that
      their actions are directly causing. In other words, they are getting
      annoyed by a result of their own actions, so they want to change the
      annoying part of the result, rather than their own actions.

The main problem is that their way of using the transport mechanic
      annoys and impedes newer players. As they almost exclusively employ
      these methods in the safe zones where their actions can't be brought to
      heel by the other players, they're making things harder for players who
      are not ready to leave the safe zones yet trying to work up their
      gathering skills in order to be able to gather in the higher zones.

As it is through, their actions that they are simultaneously causing
      problems for other players, and annoying themselves through their own
      actions. Since one among them made a suggestion that addressed their
      annoyance, without addressing the problems caused to other players, an
      alternative needs to be found.

The first suggestion in this thread was devised in order to make use of
      another mechanic reported to be introduced. Thinking like a hobbyist
      indie developer, the thought that re-using functions is usually a good
      thing for the code base, I came up with a similar mechanic for mounts as
      the getting off and on is the direct action annoying those trying to
      address only half of the issue. The thought behind this was that if you
      reduce the action, you reduce the resulting sound. This idea addresses
      all sides of the issue.

The pros for this idea:
      • Re-uses functions already being added to the code base, making it easier to implement and maintain.
      • Addresses all sides of the issue surrounding the want for solutions
      • It encourages a more even playing field between those who are there to raise their skill and those who no longer need to as it discourages toxic methods.
      • It can potentially improve the economy by reducing the over-supply of certain resources compared to others.

A second thought that could have most of the same results, is to force
      players equipped with transport mounts to turn red in yellow zones. The
      thought behind this is that while the player using the transport mount
      cannot be seriously hurt, it does allow for other players to poof their
      mounts when using them for gathering rather than transport.

The pros for this idea:
      • encourages a more even playing field between those who are their to raise their skill and those who no longer need to by discouraging toxic methods
      • potentially improve the economy by reducing the over-supply of certain resources compared to others.
      • addresses all sides of the issue surrounding the want for solutions.

To this point, the only cons that have been brought up are:
      • Don't like the idea because it addresses both sides of the issue and not just the side that benefits them - without logical argument [tally-start +3]
      • Don't like the OP, and therefore don't like the idea by default - without logical argument [tally-start]
      • Just want to increase post count and tries to pass off ad hominem attacks as logical arguments - sometimes effective at provoking response [tally-start +1]
      • Complete misunderstanding of the idea and issues surrounding- would rather attack than discuss [tally-start]
      Notes:

Replies with no rational arguments or logic will continue to be indexed

and ignored. Please leave irrational and illogical arguments on

Facebook. Actual logical and rational replies are welcome and when they

actually come, a discussion can happen.

Quality replies are made of RENNS not ad hominems

If this post cannot be saved, it can be re-created as many times as
      needed until a certain coward and two mechanic abusers leave it alone to
      have a discussion with those capable of higher than Facebook level
      discourse.

These recaps are to discourage further replies of no value as they will
      result in a new recap with valuable arguments if any before the no value
      reply added, as well as the no value reply being tallied and otherwise
      discarded. This new method is an attempt to promote logical discussion
      and discourage emotional, no value discussion.
    • You could always quit responding, quit trying to troll an idea you don't like but can't give any logical argument against. Besides, there would be nothing stopping me from creating a new post, and creating as many as it takes for you to leave one alone and let those capable of rational discourse discuss.

Besides, you've convinced me to create another character. One that after I spec him up, I hope you get to meet soon >:)

Don't worry though, I only tally to get past the nonsense once a day. Care to raise the tally count some more? Or perhaps hooked on phonics will work for you this time and perhaps you can muster enough sense to move along finally.
    • For people who use mount sounds to entertain themselves or attempt to entertain others - sure. I'm talking about mount dismount click mount dismount click mount dismount - yeah sure saddle sore whatever. Time interval and total sounds made count up for debate. I agree it's a little obnoxious but I don't personally lose sleep over it.

For those who are actually using the mounts to gather and happen to be hopping on and off in a short but understandable interval - no. It's more information for a potential gankers to hear.

I would also support a no mount sounds option, but it applies to all mounts. I've said before if you can't be assed to hear your cow you can't be assed to hear my swiftclaw.
    • MEATCUP wrote:

For people who use mount sounds to entertain themselves or attempt to entertain others - sure. I'm talking about mount dismount click mount dismount click mount dismount - yeah sure saddle sore whatever. Time interval and total sounds made count up for debate. I agree it's a little obnoxious but I don't personally lose sleep over it.

For those who are actually using the mounts to gather and happen to be hopping on and off in a short but understandable interval - no. It's more information for a potential gankers to hear.

I would also support a no mount sounds option, but it applies to all mounts. I've said before if you can't be assed to hear your cow you can't be assed to hear my swiftclaw.
      This is why in my thread I mentioned for it to be client side only.... but this dude here makes a big dramatic post trying to put out a more complicated idea that ruins the whole point I make. We dont wanna hear moo cow ourselves when we gather all day, make a client side option in audio and done.. No need for this other guy's over complicated and dramatic ideas
      *lifts tail* Nya :x
    • MEATCUP wrote:

For people who use mount sounds to entertain themselves or attempt to entertain others - sure. I'm talking about mount dismount click mount dismount click mount dismount - yeah sure saddle sore whatever. Time interval and total sounds made count up for debate. I agree it's a little obnoxious but I don't personally lose sleep over it.

Thank you, I've been waiting for a proper reply to have a proper discussion with. My issue is that Ox gatherers are annoying all-around from the sounds they make, to their entitled attitudes. My idea was based around the thought that if the behavior stopped, or even slowed, so would the sound.

Your take on it is notable. Until this point, I've not seen any even training in yellow zones where these ox gatherers act the most entitled. I've recently started a character with the aim to change that, but it will still be a rare thing if that character is the only one doing it.

My entire premise was based on the idea that people being annoying, even annoying themselves with the sounds of their actions, and wanting to make it even easier on themselves for their actions to annoy others, as there's little that can be done to stop them as it is.
    • hmm... skipped the last few pages.

Few pointers. Adding a cooldown for getting on a mount would require server side changes. Imagine Caerleon AH where 100 people would be playing with the cooldown. It is not much but it would still be extra traffic and processing time. And the benefits would not be worth it.

This idea is overthought and needs to be let go.

There are some sound settings, maybe there could be a slider or something to adjust client settings of sounds similar to there is a local setting for spell effects etc.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • Author stopped linking the same crappy post with his "point"? Is some rare species was extincted?
      Still his idea is troll, because no adequate man wont post "this" here. Terrible suggestion, terrible implementation plan and terrible reason spiced with some mazochistic whining. If it would be implemented - author would be first in the line of people, who hate this change and want rollback.

P.S. just boosting post count, tbh
      Гусиный Дом набирает игроков: tiny.cc/0mhp6y