Invisibile Ganking at Map Exit Points

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Invisibile Ganking at Map Exit Points

I've been playing Albion since around April. One thing I've noticed about this game that I believe is cancerous is the game design which forces traveller's to cross between maps at set choke points. This simplistic coding design forces a host of bad inetractions for players that become defenseless that want to travel between maps.

I have no problem with pvp, or some aspects of invisible gear but I do believe there are some trash mechanics that really destroy the experience of any semblance of solo play this game has in hostile zone/maps.

If the design of transferring between maps was allowed at any point on the entire 90 degree angle to move to the next map, travelling would become much more dynamic and freeing. Currently going between maps in hostile zones in a small group is a suicide gamble. It feels lousy. Gankers just sit in invisibility gear like fat cats sitting at the portal for anyone to come their way. It takes 0 effort, skill, or talent other than equip specific gear and crap on any red = dead strangers that try to go out the gate they are camping-troll bridging.

I'd consider this a negative consequence of a game design, not an actual positive play experience that adds value to the game. Pk'ers should have to hunt for me if I'm a solo gatherer, they should be able to just sit at the exit on a realm gate portal to BZ and murder everyone without any risk. They have no risk. People can't see them in their invis cc sets and if an opponent riot group is called in to break them up they just walk backwards one click into the next map and get a bubble. It is VERY frustrating that lousy mechanics like this become the norm and ruin the gaming experience of a whole slew of other activities. I don't want to always travel in a pack of 10 people just to not risk being murdered by a pack of invisible trolls at every map exit.

Please improve game play by expanding map/transfers to be 360 degrees of every radius to move that way we don't have to willingly stroll into the mouth of the dragon and cross our fingers he won't swallow us, just to get to the next darn map.

I don't blame the invisible gankers. It's an obvious money maker, but it is a cancerous aspect of this game that should be removed. I'd rather donate 1 mil to the enemy guild than to have to waste my time and have such a trash experience.

Invisibility is a garbage mechanic in every game as no game I've played ever gives players any way to defend against it. This game is even worse since it allows invisibility items to be chained for semi-permanent invisibility.

If invisibility gear is permitted, it should not be allowed mechanically to permanently chain between items to give permanent invisibility.

I don't know what the game designers are thinking is the value to this practice. It makes players like myself abandon aspects of the game as they have garbage experiences or quit the game altogether when these experiences occur too often. If you don't give us options to avoid the trash experience players will return the trash experience to sender by no setting down the toy, ie. this game permanently.

TLDR: Please fix travel options between maps so we don't have to go through these pre-staged 5 meter kill zone choke points to move between tiles. Idiocy.
    • Only new players get killed at portals by gankers. Sometimes I stand beside the gankers and even have conversations with them about how ignorant people are by getting themself killed in a portal.

And the worst thing is thag so many players Do actually get killed im the portals. They really need to inform themself better.

You see the white line ouside portals? It gives you a shield. I albio we call it bubble. You can get a bubble every time you change zones(as long as you dont have the shield debuff). You get the shield debuff after changing a zone, and the debuff last about a minute.

When you change zones, always make sure you will get the bubble. That way players wont be able to attack you at gates or portals.

Those choke points are there for a reason. They are suposed to make it more dinamic. If you know there is a chokepoint, dont cross through it. Simple as that. Find another route. There is always more routes.

The tools to avoid the problems you mentioned are there. You just still too green. With experience, you will be able to avoid getting ganked .
    • Holoin wrote:

"Only new players get killed at portals by gankers. Sometimes I stand beside the gankers and even have conversations with them about how ignorant people are by getting themself killed in a portal.

And the worst thing is thag so many players Do actually get killed im the portals. They really need to inform themself better.

You see the white line ouside portals? It gives you a shield. I albio we call it bubble. You can get a bubble every time you change zones(as long as you dont have the shield debuff). You get the shield debuff after changing a zone, and the debuff last about a minute.

When you change zones, always make sure you will get the bubble. That way players wont be able to attack you at gates or portals.

Those choke points are there for a reason. They are suposed to make it more dinamic. If you know there is a chokepoint, dont cross through it. Simple as that. Find another route. There is always more routes.

The tools to avoid the problems you mentioned are there. You just still too green. With experience, you will be able to avoid getting ganked ."

Holoin, you didn't even respond to what I described. I'm not talking about dying in the portal back to the Mainlands. I'm talking about the map transfer points where your bubble is long gone and you have no defense other than praying or roaming in a large enough force that the invisible pk'ers won't bother with you. There is no defense other than using a specialty mount currently.
    • What do you mean by transfer points then? Roads? Crossroads? Chokepoints?(If you are going through choke points its your fault if you die for not avoiding them) Tunnels?(Same with choke points)

Invisibility doesnt last for ever, so players use it only when they see a red name appear on the edge of their screen. At that moment, a red name should also appear on the edge of your screen. If that name dissapears it means they either have a mount faster than yours or they used invisibility.Turn back, find another route. There is always more than one route.

And if you really must pass through a choke point, check both sides before entering, if no red names appear, enter. If a red name appers after entering, turn back.

And stay away from roads. 80% of gankers gank in the roads.

Good mounts for blackzone are armored horses, swiftclaw, direwolf....and if you have the money, swamp dragons.

So yea, the tools are there.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Holoin ().

• Holoin,

I was on a T6 Armored horse. It was in invisible gank group of 7-8 pker's chaining invis gear dismounted. Use chest piece, then others to never appear. I did not see red names ever and was paying attention.

They always sit in the same place right at the map exit point where you are forced to run through to get to the next map. Mentioned this in subject title. I spawned at Coombe Tor and was attempting to exit to the NE map transfer point. The choke point I described is the particle space you have to run to to exit one map and get to another. You sound new to the game.

When you get chain cc'd by 6-8 people with claws and graveguard armor you're SOL on any of those mounts to this invis tactic.

I was also wearing t7 Mining outfit and a fiber gatherer cap. Once they dismounted me I put the first group of four that mobbed me to sleep and hit my sprint. The other 3-4 chain cc'd me twice with their Graveguard armor, so even though I hit them with my chest windwall type ability to push them away the reach of the graveguard tether pulled me back twice so I couldn't get away.

My only play error is that I sprinted my get away back to the main portal instead of the map transfer point to the NE to escape as I may have been able to spring through on foot there and get a bubble. Either way though, dismounted I'd just be killed off easily on the other side to a group that size.

It sounds like you have not seen this tactic executed well. You will see it eventually. It's prominent in Torrid Trough as well and always at the map exit points.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LarkWyll ().

• LarkWyll wrote:

There is no defense other than using a specialty mount currently.
      There is if you go by the hostile count. No one is forcing you to travel through an area if you don't like the look of the count. It would be foolish to insist you have right of way when you know there are a large number of them out there somewhere. There are more advanced techniques. You will have to discover those by yourself.
    • Player112 wrote:

LarkWyll wrote:

There is no defense other than using a specialty mount currently.
      There is if you go by the hostile count. No one is forcing you to travel through an area if you don't like the look of the count. It would be foolish to insist you have right of way when you know there are a large number of them out there somewhere. There are more advanced techniques. You will have to discover those by yourself.
      He CLEARLY stated he was travelling to NE exit of Coombe Tor which is a BLACK zone map. You of all people should know that hostile counts online show in ROYAL zones.
    • Deviator wrote:

He CLEARLY stated he was travelling to NE exit of Coombe Tor which is a BLACK zone map. You of all people should know that hostile counts online show in ROYAL zones.
      I haven't been to the BZ lately or know where that location is. It can't be that hard to find a counter. I would approach the danger area and probe it + retreat until certain no one is there. Like I said. there are more advanced techniques. Alternatively, hire a scout if transporting high value cargo. There was a scout on forum for 300k.
    • LarkWyll wrote:

Holoin,

I was on a T6 Armored horse. It was in invisible gank group of 7-8 pker's chaining invis gear dismounted. Use chest piece, then others to never appear. I did not see red names ever and was paying attention.

They always sit in the same place right at the map exit point where you are forced to run through to get to the next map. Mentioned this in subject title. I spawned at Coombe Tor and was attempting to exit to the NE map transfer point. The choke point I described is the particle space you have to run to to exit one map and get to another. You sound new to the game.

When you get chain cc'd by 6-8 people with claws and graveguard armor you're SOL on any of those mounts to this invis tactic.

I was also wearing t7 Mining outfit and a fiber gatherer cap. Once they dismounted me I put the first group of four that mobbed me to sleep and hit my sprint. The other 3-4 chain cc'd me twice with their Graveguard armor, so even though I hit them with my chest windwall type ability to push them away the reach of the graveguard tether pulled me back twice so I couldn't get away.

My only play error is that I sprinted my get away back to the main portal instead of the map transfer point to the NE to escape as I may have been able to spring through on foot there and get a bubble. Either way though, dismounted I'd just be killed off easily on the other side to a group that size.

It sounds like you have not seen this tactic executed well. You will see it eventually. It's prominent in Torrid Trough as well and always at the map exit points.
      what gear do you wear? Have you tried wearing something with cleanse? Maybe soldier helmet for the shield? Something with fear? Or an assasin jacked that has invisibility...all of those skills can be found in cheap items. When traveling through the blackzones, make sure you have one or multiple equiped...they can be low tier, and you only have to equip them when going through dangerous situations...like changiing maps etc...keep them on inventory and then swap them when you going to move.

Also, it is impossible for all 7 players to have been coordinated enough so you dint saw them...how about doing some scouting next time? Instead of going stright in for a gate(map transitions are called gate) just poke a bit, turn back, wait about 15 seconds and poke again. If they caugh you, you still have invisibility....how about you bring one invisibility potion with you? Remember all you need is to pass through the gate, once you get the bubble you can mount up and keep going. Also, always but always keep either a bloodletter or a double bladed staff equiped when you are moving through the blackzones. T4 flat is good enough.

There are ways to combat what happened to you.

I have seen that tactic, and it has been used for quite a while. It is not a very effective ganking tactic however. Having a group spread out through the roads is more efective, with scouts running around the map in t3 ox or t3-t4 horse and t4 gathering gear and 3 aditional players to follow in swiftclaws or wolf to catch player if they escape. If they coordinate well enough, it is almost impossible to escape...however it is very hard to have that kind of coordination and requires skilled players and a skilled shot caller.

Camping in gates means that skilled players will always get to bubble.

• Holoin wrote:

LarkWyll wrote:

Holoin,

what gear do you wear? Have you tried wearing something with cleanse? Maybe soldier helmet for the shield? Something with fear? Or an assasin jacked that has invisibility...all of those skills can be found in cheap items. When traveling through the blackzones, make sure you have one or multiple equiped...they can be low tier, and you only have to equip them when going through dangerous situations...like changiing maps etc...keep them on inventory and then swap them when you going to move.
      Also, it is impossible for all 7 players to have been coordinated enough so you dint saw them...how about doing some scouting next time? Instead of going stright in for a gate(map transitions are called gate) just poke a bit, turn back, wait about 15 seconds and poke again. If they caugh you, you still have invisibility....how about you bring one invisibility potion with you? Remember all you need is to pass through the gate, once you get the bubble you can mount up and keep going. Also, always but always keep either a bloodletter or a double bladed staff equiped when you are moving through the blackzones. T4 flat is good enough.

There are ways to combat what happened to you.

I have seen that tactic, and it has been used for quite a while. It is not a very effective ganking tactic however. Having a group spread out through the roads is more efective, with scouts running around the map in t3 ox or t3-t4 horse and t4 gathering gear and 3 aditional players to follow in swiftclaws or wolf to catch player if they escape. If they coordinate well enough, it is almost impossible to escape...however it is very hard to have that kind of coordination and requires skilled players and a skilled shot caller.

Camping in gates means that skilled players will always get to bbubble
      Man you are a pain to read.
      I have the impression you are not so skilled. A well made gank group sadly is really hard to counter if already engaged
    • Alasson wrote:

Man you are a pain to read.I have the impression you are not so skilled. A well made gank group sadly is really hard to counter if already engaged
      Not so hard if you are already at the gate like what happened to our friend here.

The idea is to avoid gankers from using any kind of movement disability on you, so you can do that by watching at the edge of your screen and if you have good reflexes, you will catch the red names before they use invisibility.Then turn back. I do it frequently and rarely get killed by gankers in blackzone, If I do it anyone else can.

Now, if gankers get you and you are far from a gate or portal, its hard to escape. Hard, but not impossible.

In his case, the players were ganking at the gate. With proper gear, and skills, He could have saved himself easily.

I was replying to him saying the game has no tools to protect against such attack. I gave him the examples. Whats so hard to read about that? Ofcourse, if you are noob you wont understand at all.

Or if by hard to read you mean gramatical errors well, English is not my main language, I try my best.

• Fusionbomb wrote:

find a solo/group dungeon nearby, zone in, wait for bubble immunity to fade, zone out, run thru
      OP, this is the best solution to not get portal gank. They exploit a game mechanic just do the same.

Also it's basically impossible for them to see you before you see them. Because of pings it's the other way around (they are immobile when you are comming but because of latence you came on their screen slightly after).

I see 2 possibilities :
      1) You had somebody in front of you (not ganking obviously) and unluckily they effectively went invis before you noticed them, they changed target to aim at you and you got joinked
      2) You didn't payed attention enough and you're not telling us the whole story.

Now if maybe maybe you were right and ganker had some special power to see you way before you see them, you basically told us that it's everytime the same place. You can bait-out their invis and just before trying to go on the portal make a u turn for 5 sec and try again to zone. If you see reds then godbless you outsmarted them.

Any argument now about this subject is pointless use your brain and seek solutions to not get killed this way...
    • Most of the time they gank predictable locations so you can be alert ahead of time.

Watch your screen edge and be suspicious for scouts. if you’re traveling solo I’d have invisibility potions equip while you’re riding. that’s what I carry when I’m traveling to pop T8 maps. Use RDGs and portals to double bubble.

If someone’s camping a gate hard and they know you’re trying to get thru. Approach on foot with soldier boots and invis pot equip.

I always think of gankers like bandits on the road. The best you can hope is to run them off for a bit or long enough that you can travel thru, ages even if you kill them they’ll come back eventually.
    • Holoin, if you read what I wrote I listed what I was wearing and it all is anti-pk oriented. I was also wearing a bloodletter with double dashes equipped but they did not get me away from the graveguard tethers. Please read above for items. I appreciate the tips but you aren't understanding the mechanics well.

If you get dismounted there is a long timer before you can remount, thus even if I made it to the gate on the other side my bubble would be gone before I could mount up there so I'd be killed on foot even if I did get to go through which is why I tried to turn around for the main portal.

Good tips on the solo dungeon diving for bubble though by others. I'll try that. How tedious though....just because there is bad game design.
    • Owslane, apparently you haven't seen this either.

The players chain invisibility items together to not appear. The only thing I have not stated is that the game is laggy at times. There was no other travellers around me. I will stand corrected if proven otherwise but my understanding is that invisibility items can be chained so that players can sit in a spot unseen for long periods.
    • It doesn't matter if i read or not, they won't preshot any invisibility spell without knowing if there is somebody who will come and again as i said before, server lags and ping give advantage to people who moves so basically you are the first to see them not the portal gankers. This is way more risky for them to use randomly invisibility it's like playing hasards game. They need to have every stealth cd up to do this strats safely.

You stated that you zone in combe tor to go NE which means Sidbury Hill right? I have a trick that will for you. You zone in combe Tor then stay nearby to the portal until your bubble is down (start having a galop in your mount. Cross the white circle in order to repop a bubble and rush as fast as you can the NE portal, taking the shortest path and not even avoiding mobs. That will ensure you a guaranted invincibility bubble to enter and ganker can do nothing against it.

As pal said above you can take invis potion+run to sneak pass them. You have also specter shoes than work too if i'm not mistaken and also the spectral boar with the invisibility.
      Or you seek a dungeon nearby the portal, zone in wait like 1min, zone out and you get a bubble.
      Or you have Stormlord that is willing to Call mercenaries to fuck them.

If you had said you want to pass to urchfront Hill, i would recomend to take sidbury hill then zone NW to greystop pound then SW you get a tunnel that give you a secondary path to Urchfront Hill. Longer path but portal ganker don't bother to even close this path because common follks are lazy enough to waste time. Also every proposition above exept the "wait near white circle to repop a bubble" works.

I and everyone gave you pleny tools to fuck them. We are veterans that got caught one day or another by that portal gankers and used our braincells to basicaly never get caught again. I really recomend you to begin using your braincells if you want to have a peacefull life in albion because creativity in this game is key.

PS : Just in case, graveguard armor as an invis portal ganker is basically useless and counterproductive. They rely so much on assassin jacket+hunter boots to do what you said. So yea i don't buy it and you probably didn't told us the whole story.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Owlsane ().