Add *new* OW ZvZ based territory conquest instead of removing instanced 5v5 based territory conquest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Add *new* OW ZvZ based territory conquest instead of removing instanced 5v5 based territory conquest

Dear Developers,

@PrintsKaspian @Retroman @Korn

Like a lot of my fellow players I'm extremely disappointed to hear that SBI is considering removing 5v5 based territory conquest from Albion. I have been playing Albion since launch and averaging 2-6 hours of play time per day. I would consider myself somewhere between casual and hardcore. While I've never been a main player on a 5v5 A team, I have occasionally subbed for A teams. Across my character I've done a decent number of casual GvGs (~80 GvGs) and crystals (>100 crystals).

Aspiring to be a good 5v5 player is the only reason I continue to play this game. Hellgates and 5v5 content is what first pulled me out of the 'wait what do I actually want to do in this game' slump after quickly getting bored with the mind numbing gathering and PvE systems.

In my experience 5v5 content has the highest skill cap in this game. It takes dedication to develop skill and synergy with a 5 man team. Every player in the team must perform or the group will fail. In the open world it is always possible to crutch using numbers or IP. If you're lucky enough to get a fight in the open world (instead of playing endless horse simulator), Fights larger than 20v20 often feel like an exercise in using your E when the shotcaller tells you to.

Here are some reasons that 5v5 based territory should remain in the game:
      - Instanced NvN PvP with an IP cap is the only way to create a truly fair fight in which the outcome is based solely on the skill of the players involved. Ownership of the best territories in the game should be be determined by player skill, not by who can mass the biggest group to steamroll their enemies. Honestly I would be happy with 10v10 or even 20v20 to control territory as well, but increasing numbers also increases the overhead the leader has to do to get everyone ready for the fight. Finding 5 people on the same schedule who work well together is hard enough.
      - Drama between players and guilds fuels this game. Many of the most interesting characters and most popular streamers are A team 5v5 players. Removing 5v5 based territory conquest would significantly devalue this play style causing these players to leave the game or invest significantly less time.
      - 5v5 content is what many players aspire to. Even if they never fully make it onto an A team it is the reason many players fame farm and do hellgates. Making 5v5 more accessible is very important but you cannot remove the final prize: conquering OW territory for your guild.
      - 5v5 content allows small, but extremely skilled guilds to compete with zerg alliances. Yes, there are examples of this even though many of the top 5v5 teams see benefits working with large alliances (*cough* limit alliances to 300 members *cough*).
      - ZvZ based conquest could lead to territories switching ownership on a daily basis - or at least more frequently than they currently do. This might be good for some players and playstyles but not ideal for others. Being able to plan on owning a territory for an extended period of time should be viable.

Despite this list, I still believe ZvZ based territory conquest should be added to Albion. More ways to play Albion will draw new players and make for a deeper, more exciting game. But this content should be added as new content. There is no reason to remove content that many players love.

Here are my concrete suggestions:
      - Add a new type of territory conquered by ZvZ to each zone (using mechanics outlined in the leak or some refined version - but they should only be conquerable once a day like 5v5 territories). Some zones already have two territories and many zones already feel quite empty. There is definitely space to add one type of each territory to every zone.
      - Each zone should have one of each type of territory (5v5 and ZvZ).
      - Consider removing war camps and allowing the ZvZ territory launch attacks onto the 5v5 territory like a war camp can now. The only issue I have with this is war camps are useful as an open world bank available to solo players. However, maybe it is sufficient that world boss zones will retain war camps for city launches.
      - The new ZvZ territory should have equal but different rewards than the 5v5 territories. 5v5 territories currently have crystal towers, generate energy/season points, 50% gathering buff in the box, a tower with a bank and defensive laser. For ZvZ based territories I would suggest keeping the tower with defensive laser and bank (but reworking the layout so it's unique) and the 50% gathering buff in the box. To balance for crystal tower the ZvZ based territories could give zone buffs to all guild members (I believe this was suggested somewhere by devs at some point). The owning guild could choose between fame buff, gathering buff, silver drop buff, castle rewards buff, etc. Or potentially buff the % enchant rate of materials in the zone or the tier of random dungeons? This could be an option if the guild believes they will fully control the zone.
      - Add a crystal tower with X%( maybe 50?) rewards to guild islands to increase accessibility of crystals. I think some way to improve match making in crystals is good, but the changes outlined in the round table leaks seemed too convoluted. Additionally it seems like you can crystal with people outside your alliance? That seems really odd and like it'll disassociate the 5v5 community from guilds which I think would be bad for the game.
      - For hideouts maybe allow them to choose if they want to be attackable by the ZvZ or 5v5 territory? This allows an extra layer of defense for the hideout so they can choose what they are best at.

-Lanyday
    • To me, GvG combat feels contrived, and diminishes immersion. Territories don't really change hands that way. :)

I wouldn't mind at all some kind of tournament system with huge rewards that was 5v5 (a super-arena?), but I really like the idea of black zone territorial conquest being determined by open world mechanics, i.e., ZvZs.

I do wish territories were harder to take, and I wouldn't even mind limiting the number a guild can hold, whether through a hard cap or a soft cap (like the unrest mechanic in WoT).
    • You summed it up better than I did, Lany.

I don't know what's going to stop one or two mega-alliances simply ZVZ all day and night and own the entire world map.... the 5v5 element is secondary importance, if any at all, with the proposed changes. I've been fighting it. But we need more of the community to verbalize. I fear it might be too late...
    • Theat wrote:

You summed it up better than I did, Lany.

I don't know what's going to stop one or two mega-alliances simply ZVZ all day and night and own the entire world map.... the 5v5 element is secondary importance, if any at all, with the proposed changes. I've been fighting it. But we need more of the community to verbalize. I fear it might be too late...
      in 2 years, "significantly less than 1% of the game participate in gvg" ... lets hope these changes aimed at supporting the 99.5% who dont gvg come before its "too late" for albion.