Ganking and how it ruins the game.

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Balaster wrote:

      I'm guessing that most arguing pro ganking are those who enjoy the low risk, high reward system in place.
      I'm T8 gatherer in every resource, never been in a large alliance, and have been Glorious reputation for well over 80% of my Albion career.

      I'm in favor of ganking.

      I think part of your problem is comparing this game directly to real life. If we wanted it to be more realistic, we wouldn't have magic spells and rare mounts to traverse copy/pasted landscapes.
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

      T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

      100/100/90/90 Holy Specs
    • Balaster wrote:

      If you're pro ganking, then please present a solid reason that it creates a positive environment.
      First, present an objective definition of what a positive environment is. Positive to whom? To the game? To you? To gankers?

      In order for it to be objective you can't use other subjective terms either, like fair or balanced. You need to hash out exactly what a positive environment is, that we can all agree on, and then we can move forward with the discussion.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • I had another thought.

      How about limiting the size of groups able to enter dungeons. No limit to the number of groups, but a limit to the size.

      Solo dungeons would require you not be grouped when entering and would make all players attackable even within guild/alliance.

      Group dungeons could allow groups of 3-6 players and make all groups subject to attack from other groups in the dungeon.

      This would eliminate the roaming mass of gankers diving into solo dungeons for easy kills, but still allow for the danger of PvP.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Another option would be to increase the timer to flag or deflag and make you subject to full PvP as soon as you begin flagging.
      Along with this, I would strip flagged status each time you zoned.
      [b]Yoda[/b]: ...Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they...
      [b]Luke[/b]: ... Is the dark side stronger?
      [b]Yoda[/b]: No... Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    • Piddle wrote:

      Balaster wrote:

      If you're pro ganking, then please present a solid reason that it creates a positive environment.
      First, present an objective definition of what a positive environment is. Positive to whom? To the game? To you? To gankers?
      In order for it to be objective you can't use other subjective terms either, like fair or balanced. You need to hash out exactly what a positive environment is, that we can all agree on, and then we can move forward with the discussion.
      A positive environment would be one that allows all players to have a sense of accomplishment.

      You're seeking a more specific point because you can't defend the overall concept behind ganking beyond, "It's what I want to do and I don't care how it affects others"

      If you truly support the "hardcore" PvP experience then you should be promoting the idea that every player be subject to full loot PvP 100% of the time by anyone. You should also support NPCs killing players instead of knocking them down, and the NPC taking the loot and cycling it into the system.

      What gankers really want is to be safe until they choose to commit a crime and to be safe from their cohorts while committing criminal actions and to be sure of their safety after committing crimes.

      How would the world be if people were allowed to break into your house, steal your belongings and as long as they could get back to their residence they would be safe from justice.
      [b]Yoda[/b]: ...Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they...
      [b]Luke[/b]: ... Is the dark side stronger?
      [b]Yoda[/b]: No... Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

      I think part of your problem is comparing this game directly to real life. If we wanted it to be more realistic, we wouldn't have magic spells and rare mounts to traverse copy/pasted landscapes.
      The people playing the game are real. The things that happen to their characters matter to them. The online world may be fantasy but the implications of players actions against other players still applies to real world concepts.

      By the way, Electricity that lights your house, runs your AC, and cooks your food would have been thought magic not too long ago and that 747 that flies you across the oceans to other land is still a new invention as far as history is concerned.

      Just because it happens in a game on a computer doesn't mean it is acceptable behavior and should have no consequences.
      [b]Yoda[/b]: ...Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they...
      [b]Luke[/b]: ... Is the dark side stronger?
      [b]Yoda[/b]: No... Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    • MEATCUP wrote:

      You’ve ganked before, right?
      Almost, because I was looking for an easy way to get loot. I chose another route and am glad that I did because causing the harm to someone else that has been caused to me would be against my nature.

      Ganking = criminal
      GvG = conflict by soldiers recruited for the purpose
      Hellgates = conflict due to the seeking of fame and fortune where each side is aware of the cause and effect.
      Open World, Solo dungeons, Group dungeons = day to day life with the risk and reward. Subject to ganking with no effective means of reprisal.
      ZvZ = Open war/conflict with soldiers recruited for the purpose

      Ganking doesn't have any supportive reason other than satisfying someone's thirst and desire to cause harm and reap enormous rewards.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Quote for the day!

      Yoda: Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

      Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?

      Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

      Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

      Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
      [b]Yoda[/b]: ...Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they...
      [b]Luke[/b]: ... Is the dark side stronger?
      [b]Yoda[/b]: No... Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    • Balaster wrote:

      Ganking doesn't have any supportive reason other than satisfying someone's thirst and desire to cause harm and reap enormous rewards.
      Ganking is one ring of several that serve to set a price floor for resources, chests, and overall content found in risk zones.

      If you want all your shit to be useless, support carebear activity.



      Most hypocritically, you cannot condone another activity that you benefit from (incentive to gather) because you chose to not participate. It's the circle of life.
    • Balaster wrote:

      Piddle wrote:

      Balaster wrote:

      If you're pro ganking, then please present a solid reason that it creates a positive environment.
      First, present an objective definition of what a positive environment is. Positive to whom? To the game? To you? To gankers?In order for it to be objective you can't use other subjective terms either, like fair or balanced. You need to hash out exactly what a positive environment is, that we can all agree on, and then we can move forward with the discussion.
      A positive environment would be one that allows all players to have a sense of accomplishment.
      You're seeking a more specific point because you can't defend the overall concept behind ganking beyond, "It's what I want to do and I don't care how it affects others"

      If you truly support the "hardcore" PvP experience then you should be promoting the idea that every player be subject to full loot PvP 100% of the time by anyone. You should also support NPCs killing players instead of knocking them down, and the NPC taking the loot and cycling it into the system.

      What gankers really want is to be safe until they choose to commit a crime and to be safe from their cohorts while committing criminal actions and to be sure of their safety after committing crimes.

      How would the world be if people were allowed to break into your house, steal your belongings and as long as they could get back to their residence they would be safe from justice.
      A sense of accomplishment is the very definition of subjective. Ask EA games if you don't believe me.

      I am seeking for you to make an objective argument and not make me wallow in a pedantic debate. Getting involved in arguments with people who only make subjective claims is a trap. A trap I have learned to avoid long ago.

      For instance. I can't have a sense of accomplishment without bands of roving murders coming after me. I suspect, for you, a sense of accomplishment differs. Since we both have differing views and can't agree on what that means, we can't come to a consensus to even begin a dialogue.

      So in essence you are just saying "I don't like this!" and I am asking "Why?" and your reply is "I don't like this!" It's circular and boring.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • Balaster wrote:

      My argument:

      Ganking by its nature promotes bullying, theft, and homicide. Ganking is not PvP due to one party not being a willing participant. In the current system, it allows and promotes a harmful gaming style. It allows one or more players to roam around killing and stealing from other players with very little costs or consequences. It ruins the play experience for the person being ganked.

      I understand this is an open PvP game, but the consequences of this behavior need to be greater than those currently existing. In real life, these behaviors come with severe punishments. The reason for these punishments is because of the amount of harm it brings to civilization. It is my belief that allowing ganking with very little consequence will inhibit growth for the game and will drive current players away from the game.

      I have a couple of solutions I would like to propose.

      1. Negative reputation should force a player to be flagged as full PvP all the time. If a player is seeking to run around killing players who are not flagged for PvP, then the fair consequence would be to make them always subject to the same.
      2. As negative reputation increases then market place tax should increase. This should be a dramatic increase. In the real world, thieves do not get full value for the items that they steal.
      3. Alliances and guilds should be able to set a threshold on their territories that causes players with negative reputation to be kill on site to the npc guards of those territories. This would allow organizations in the game to choose whether to promote ganking or not.
      4. As negative reputation increases your character should appear on the mini map. Not sure if its possible, but high levels of negative reputation could also cause you to be searchable.

      There may be short term rewards for allowing this abhorrent behavior in the game, but in the long term these players will either leave due to boredom or they will drive away players such as me. Ganking in the long term is not fulfilling and being ganked creates anger and resentment. These negative results will not result in a long term benefit for the game.

      Sincerely,

      Balaster Woodwalker

      P.S. Until there is some change to this system, I will no longer support this game with my hard earned money. I have cancelled my subscriptions. I may continue to play this game as a farming/island sim but my interests in participating in the open world are greatly diminished.
      Bullying in a video game, thats something new brotha, albion is hardcore ma boi, if you cant deal with it, go play candy crush and smash them fruits ya know boi.
      Pissing a few moments ago
      I looked down at my penis
      affectionately.

      Knowing it has been inside
      you twice today makes me
      feel beautiful.
    • Only hardcore thing albion has is the full loot, but there is full loot in alot of games, for me, hardcore is a game like Dark Souls, Bloodborn, because you legit need skills to be able to do anything in the game.

      To make this game hardcore, you need to change the knocked down system in blue and yellow zones, people should lose everything when they die.

      But there is ganking in all online games tbh.
      Pissing a few moments ago
      I looked down at my penis
      affectionately.

      Knowing it has been inside
      you twice today makes me
      feel beautiful.
    • Hi
      i think that ganking is an essential part of this game. (and of course i like it)

      But it is not balanced

      Weapons, head, body, shoes, poison and mounts (in combination) give gankers a overwhelming advantage against gatherer and transports.

      Today ganking is so easy, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel - and the duck have no wings.

      I'm not against ganking , but the game mechanics prefers stupid killing of helpless victims.

      In the last news spotlight about the Guild "Malevqlence" i read that one player earns 5 million silver/day with ganking
      I'm a fullspec wood gatherer, but 5 million a day - wow that takes a lot of time

      If gankers have a 100% chance of killing their victims and gatherer/transport have a 0% chance of escape/fight
      If gankers earn so much silver without risk

      --> ok SBI - that's the game you want? - Really?

      A rework of gank/loot mechanics is necessary
    • Dude the guy who made this post is pretty out of his mind. If you read all his posts all his ideas are TRASH. Its not easy ganking a decent t8 gather period. Why do you think gankers gank in 5 to 10 people groups. Because they need 5 people with just CC to keep you locked down. If you don't have a ton of CC you arn't getting that gather. Now for all the gathers that SUCK balls and pop there run right when they see the gankers and the gankers like OH BOY he popd run PURGED we got him boys HAHAHA. Get good my dude go ganking see how gankers get things done then only will you become the master of gathering. Can't look at one side of the coin and be Like I DON"T LIKE IT. NOOO I DONT WANNA TRY. If you never learn the other side you will never master the first side. Much love my carebear friend I got you. Follow me I will teach you! Dash, Dash with E on bloodletter, INVS, and then pop RUN. Hmm that might be better hmmm MAYBE i won't get purged right away and lose my run HMMMM. OMG I'M THINKING SOMEONE HELP ME.

      PS. Dude above(Not the first one above the 2nd) me says 0 chance of getting away. Come on dude if it takes 5 to 10 people to gank someone just to maybe get them ROFL omg I don't even know what to say. I mean I get away ALOT from 5 to 10 to 1 to 5 to 10 to 20.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Neef ().

    • You know what is the funny.

      Devs heva wet dream about hardkore PvP game but thay create totally noob ganking system.

      Player base is still droping down because this game don't offfer to much, You can fame farm a lot but 3-4 stupid morons with T4 flat shit sets can still kill you without any experiance.

      But many players still said that ganking system in this game is good. Ganking system in this game without any cost of this killing this game. On the short time stupid morons defend this system will be leave this game because will be nobody for gank.

      Its a lot PvP game now and most of normal players will be go for normal PvP system not stupid germany wet dream about ganking.
    • I don't think people really know what Albion is about if they right stuff like "Ganking is ruining the game". This is a PvP game.

      If you walk down the street and a mugger robs you, do you say walking on the streets are dangerous and never walk there again or are you knocking on the politicians doors and screems do something? Or even better, go to the media and screen the streets are dangerous, just because you get mugged once. Or are you going to learn something and do something useful about the situation? (become Chuck Norris the second :P)

      Point being. This is a PvP game. You will get killed. there will always be that guy. There will always be that team. Everyone and everything in this game wants to kill you. Weather its the red zones or the black zones, you will die eventually.

      What are you going to do in game to make it "Save" for yourself? Cry?

      Sorry mate, wrong game then.

      But the biggest issue I have about this topic is:
      How many times did people open threads like this and Sandbox made it clear that this is a PvP game. Heck, the even reduced the number of Yellow zones just to make a point.

      Ganking is here to stay, weather you like it or not.
    • PvP and ganking is a crucial part of the game, and it's not only becouse "Well Albion is a PvP game lol" No, is becouse how the PvP elements work in armony with the rest of the game

      -When you die you lose stuff, so the demand of stuff are high most of the time, also some of the stuff you lose get destroy into trash so everytime someone die you destroy items from the game, this incentives crafting

      -The only reason value of materials is high is not becouse they are few (Well actually that's part of the reason), is becouse they are in the most deep part of the black zone, so a lot of people can't get them becouse gankers know people is going to try to get them

      And that's only the view point of a gatherer, gankers also lose a lot of stuff, so they buy A LOT of items and gear everytime, they maybe can be the most demand item hungry persons in the game, you don't know if the person who buy your items in the market is actually the same person who will kill you an hour later

      So yeah, i hate get kill, i just want to make a lot of money, but i can't hate the PvP elements of the game, becouse the PvP aspects of the game is one of the importants things that make the economy of the game works
    • LordFischi wrote:

      Hi
      i think that ganking is an essential part of this game. (and of course i like it)

      But it is not balanced

      Weapons, head, body, shoes, poison and mounts (in combination) give gankers a overwhelming advantage against gatherer and transports.

      Today ganking is so easy, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel - and the duck have no wings.

      I'm not against ganking , but the game mechanics prefers stupid killing of helpless victims.

      In the last news spotlight about the Guild "Malevqlence" i read that one player earns 5 million silver/day with ganking
      I'm a fullspec wood gatherer, but 5 million a day - wow that takes a lot of time

      If gankers have a 100% chance of killing their victims and gatherer/transport have a 0% chance of escape/fight
      If gankers earn so much silver without risk

      --> ok SBI - that's the game you want? - Really?

      A rework of gank/loot mechanics is necessary
      a solo ganker normaly does not kill a gatherer alone if hes not an idiot
      a well timed sprint + invis potion brings you out of range and normaly at this point ur save
      a gatherer that panic sprint in purge range or does not mount after a name pops up and get his mount despawned 3 seconds later out of stealth is an easy target, yes but a good gatherer is nearly unkillable by 1 person
      gankers does not earn much silver without risk
      a real ganking set is nearly as expensive then a t8 gatherer set and he wins exactly what he does risk
      like a full bag of t7/8 is worth a gatherer set
      if the gatherer comes out he doubles his investment like the ganker does
      5 mil with gathering does not take that long and making 5 mil with ganking does not take long too
      it depends on how good u are in your profession