Random Latency Spikes are making the game unplayable

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Random Latency Spikes are making the game unplayable

I purchased this game on 24 February of 2019. Back then the game ran smoothly. I had some initial problems with latency at first, but resolved those problems by switching from a wireless connection to an Ethernet connection to my modem. Once I made the switch to an Ethernet connection, my latency problems went away and I had a smooth game-play experience from that point on.

After the free to play movement, game latency became terrible. I soon learned that this was due to DDOS attacks on the game server, so I patently waited for the game devs to come up with a solution to the problem.

Once the game devs solved the problem, game latency improved greatly. Latency, however, never quite returned to what it was before the free to play movement. I would have some initial game latency when I would log in which would last for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then after the first 15 minutes after logging in, the game would smooth out and latency would no longer be a problem.

This was a nuisance, but nothing more than that and the game was still very much playable until the last week or two. Now when I play, the game is subject to random latency spikes. These spikes have no rhyme or rhythm to them. One minute the game will be running fine and the next, the game will be frozen. These freezes can last anywhere from a second or two, to 10 - 15 second freezes. There have also been a number of times that the game has frozen for upwards of a minute or two and when it is finally restored, I am back at the log in screen.

To test if these latency spikes are the result of increased server population, I have been playing solo expeditions every time that I log in. These latency spikes have been occurring during solo expeditions as well as everywhere else in the game so I don't think that server population is the culprit. I have also had at least two game crashes during solo expeditions that were the result of these latency spikes.

I have also recently played a similar online game to test and see if I had any latency problems there. The game that I tested was Diablo III and I played through nearly the entire first act. Diablo III ran smoothly for me and I had absolutely no problems with latency as I was playing Diablo III.

At this point, I believe that this problem is a game dev problem and NOT a problem with either my computer or my internet connection.

I would love to continue playing this game as I love what Sandbox Interactive has done with this game but with these latency issues, its not worth it anymore. If there is a fix for this problem, I would love to hear it, otherwise, I'm done!

Some additional information for the devs.

I am located in the United States

Operating system: Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel(R) core(TM) i5-321OM CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.50 GHz

Installed memory RAM: 6.00 GB

System Type: 64 - bit operating system X 64 - based processor

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7550M/7650M graphics

Internet speed test results (taken just before posting this thread)

Download speed: 23.2 Mbps

Upload speed: 0.98 Mbps

Latency / ping: 29 ms
    • SBI, as an update I have noticed a slight improvement in the games performance sense making this thread. The latency issues with this game are by no means resolved, but the game is at least playable again.

Also, I have tested out going to your staging server and the latency was there as well, just not as bad (probably due to there being no population at the server).
    • raganoff wrote:

SBI, as an update I have noticed a slight improvement in the games performance sense making this thread. The latency issues with this game are by no means resolved, but the game is at least playable again.

Also, I have tested out going to your staging server and the latency was there as well, just not as bad (probably due to there being no population at the server).

Thanks for the feedback on this. Our team is continuously working on improving client performance. We also made a few tweaks this week following some connection issues with certain ISPs, and I would like to check in with you as to whether any improvements have been noticed on your side?

Mytherceria#3744