Chat Automod, Improvements, and more GMs

• Chat Automod, Improvements, and more GMs

I believe the chat system could use many improvements.
      Also, I think there should be more volunteer GMs and in-game incentives to be one with an attempt to have at least 1 on at a time.

Please like and reply if you agree. If you have any other suggestions or additions post them here and I'll add them to the list.

Some Ideas for Chat:
      • Auto-Restrict - Prevent people from posting more messages then allowed in a certain time-frame due to frequent spamming.
      • Auto-Timeout - Disconnect Players continuously attempting to spam with auto-restrict enabled.
      • Auto-Censor - Censor the more hateful and discriminatory speech
      • Automatic Punishment Increments - Repeat offenders automatically receive increasingly worse punishments for abusing the chat system.
      • Add "Party" Channel to list of channels - Party channel is not a listed or editable channel. Many players don't even see what you type in these channels.
      • Add Language specific recruitment channels - Players can find their primary language and attempt joining these guilds/alliances without seeing other languages.
      • Add Scrollbar - Chats do not have any scrollbar
      • Font Size, Type, and Color Editor - Allow for changes in font type, size, and colors.
      • Party chat creates "/say" bubble that is only visible to party members.

Why?

Public Channels are supposed to be a resource but they can seem pointless to use.
      Specifically for the past few hours I've been using the recruitment channel and people have been spamming with no intervention.
      One specific player (probably a bot) copy pastas 3 lines of text, double & triple posts, and pretty much clears the chat of other recruiting messages.
      Multiple hours and reports later and still nothing has been done. Other channels also suffer the same fate.

The post was edited 13 times, last by Hekubas: I use too many words and edit too much sorry... ().

• Before adding more moderation to it, they should give it full functionality first. I personally haven't noticed the need for chat moderation, but that's because the in-game chat doesn't even allow for scrolling which that alone makes it too half-assed for it to be of any use to me. I just close it and ignore it.
    • Hekubas wrote:

Dc1a0 wrote:

A few days after I first started. A bit over a month ago now. If the stand alone client is different than the steam client, It could have to do with that too as I'm still using the steam client.
      I use the steam client. Checked again and there is no scrollbar but it does scroll with middle mouse wheel.
      I'll check that next time I'm playing. But since I have my mouse wheel set to 1 line for other uses. It would be a pain to keep changing it back and forth just to use the game chat.

owensssss wrote:

I can only assume there is some coding challenge in fixing chat. Seeing as how it’s had almost zero improvements since alpha. Biggest change was right click options
      It's not much of a coding challenge at all. It's more likely that chat improvements are a very low priority.
    • Hey there,

Thanks for the list of suggestions! Some of these are already on our backlog and some of them have already been implemented:

Hekubas wrote:

Auto-Restrict - Prevent people from posting more messages then allowed in a certain time-frame due to frequent spamming.
      This is something we are already looking into.

Hekubas wrote:

Auto-Timeout - Disconnect Players continuously attempting to spam with auto-restrict enabled.
      We don't plan on implementing punishments that could result in rather annoying game-related consequences for the player. Imagine winning a fight in the open-world, being excited about it and spamming chat with "yay!", only to get disconnected and then killed by someone else.

Hekubas wrote:

Auto-Censor - Censor the more hateful and discriminatory speech
      Already implemented. Certain words are replaced with "****" in chat.

Hekubas wrote:

Automatic Punishment Increments - Repeat offenders automatically receive increasingly worse punishments for abusing the chat system.
      This is in a way already implemented - repeating an offense will result in a longer mute duration. However, this is done by moderators who assess previous mutes and decide the punishment based on that (among other things). We don't have plans for automatic punishments.

Dc1a0 wrote:

Before adding more moderation to it, they should give it full functionality first. I personally haven't noticed the need for chat moderation, but that's because the in-game chat doesn't even allow for scrolling which that alone makes it too half-assed for it to be of any use to me. I just close it and ignore it.
      Chat capacity was greatly increased a few months ago, so you can now scroll much further into your chat history.

We are also always looking for more moderators, so if you're interested, please feel free to shoot an email to support@albiononline.com
    • Dc1a0 wrote:

Actually, no I can't. I tried just yesterday, with both stand-alone client and steam client on Linux. Scroll wheel continues to control character zoom and there is no scroll bar.
      Try hovering over the chat window when scrolling.

Edit: and yes, make sure the chat window is active first if you have auto-hide enabled in chat settings
    • Elsa wrote:

Dc1a0 wrote:

Actually, no I can't. I tried just yesterday, with both stand-alone client and steam client on Linux. Scroll wheel continues to control character zoom and there is no scroll bar.
      Try hovering over the chat window when scrolling.
      I did, I even hit enter to make sure it was active before trying to scroll with the pointer over the chat window.

Fusionbomb wrote:

thats because your chat box has to be active... u cant let it fade out and then scroll
      I did, I even hit enter to keep it active and still.