New Race Implementation [After Launch Idea]

• I meant no one to be confined to anything. That is against the very core experience of Albion. I was just advocating for different designs for weapons and armor when new races come out so we have more diversity. However the differences should be sublte enough so you can clearly distinguish what pieces a player is wearing for high level PvP action. I just think there should be variation in the models [take tier IV plate armor for example. I am just saying a human and an elf should look different when wearing that same armor (because of the cultural differences between races). However these differences should be subtle enough as not to compromise PvP].
  • I'm not necessarily against races. It depends on how it's done. But I have two main reasons.

Firstly, diversity. I'd rather not see races that are plain better at any particular activity because that incentivises all players who wish to do that activity to be of that race. As per the stereotypes, we'd see many elven archers and mages, dwarven and orcish warriors, and so on.

But if we preclude races from having such statistical advantages, or perks that synergise with a certain playstyle, then are there still ways to differentiate races that are not purely superficial (visual, aural) That's what I'd like to know!

Secondly, freedom in character progression. The current character progress system enables us to develop our characters in every which way that we please, with no restrictions. There is, as far as I can tell, no incentive to create a second character with regards to character abilities and stats.

Other reasons to want to make a new character notwithstanding, it seems to me that including more than one race in the game, even if the differences between them are superficial, creates one incentive for people to create new characters. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does seem a little strange to have a system like the Destiny Board that confers players such freedom, while adding another, race, that may act to restrict players in a way similar to what classes do, albeit to a much smaller degree.
    "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living." - Morgan Freeman