Curse Stacks and AoE Escalation Bug?

• Crane wrote:

Damnation staff plus AoE escalation would be bloody absurd. Do you really think it would be fair to give damnation an easy 50+ clap each and every time they hit E? The AoE is the size of the screen.

At that rate everyone would just be curse, because mass AoE would demolish anyone and anything on screen.

I guess you fail to see the value in hitting 50+ players with a dot in a ZvZ environment. Funny.
      - Galatine

- Wailing

- Brimstone

twitch.tv/videos/413616971 - Greataxe

- Permafrost

- Siegebow

- a damn Grovekeeper

All of these weapons get AoE escalation. The damnation has significantly less base damage than every single one of these weapons. So please, explain how that's funny? Damnation doesn't apply a curse stack, so again, applying DoTs to 50+ people is incredibly unlikely.
    • Grimhawke-EB wrote:

The damnation staff E does receive damage escalation. It also has some of the lowest base damage values among popular AOE ZvZ weapons. Vile curse dots from cursed sickle do not, since they are not direct AOE damage, they simply apply a debuff which does damage over time (vile curse).
      Which is understandable. If I were to dot individuals one on one, it would be expected. If you take the great curse staff for example, hitting multiple enemies with a single E, having 5+ enemies all receiving dots from the same instance, ticking at the same time- since dots themselves do no have a debuff (unlike bleed stacks from axes, which lower healing received). It just seems that the viability of curse in a large scale fight is... lacking. There's less of a focus on maintaining your curse stacks (which is the whole concept to curse) and more about offering a debuff and walking away. Seems, boring?
    • jwhite179 wrote:

Which is understandable. If I were to dot individuals one on one, it would be expected. If you take the great curse staff for example, hitting multiple enemies with a single E, having 5+ enemies all receiving dots from the same instance, ticking at the same time- since dots themselves do no have a debuff (unlike bleed stacks from axes, which lower healing received). It just seems that the viability of curse in a large scale fight is... lacking. There's less of a focus on maintaining your curse stacks (which is the whole concept to curse) and more about offering a debuff and walking away. Seems, boring?
      3 curse staves (out of 6) get AOE escalation and can be used in ZvZ or small scale PVP... how is that not good enough?

Lifecurse - E (Enfeeble Blades)
      Cursed Skull - E (Haunting Screams)
      Damnation - E (Cataclysm)
    • Gank wrote:

calculating aoe escalation on each individual single target dot is a huge amount of resources game wise to keep track or. Curse is strong in zvz, wether you enjoy the playstyle or not.
      Yet most alliances still ban cursed skulls from ZvZ's. It's an easily avoidable ability. Compare it to a blazing staff that continues to deal damage once the target moves out of range.

All else aside, I was simply curious as to whether the dots were meant to have an escalation or not. With the exception of the Cursed skull, I personally would rather stick to my wailing bow for ZvZ's. The fact that nearly every remark on this thread has gone a different direction (ie. support weapon, tank weapon, only used for the armor pierce, saying its a great dps weapon) just proves my concern that curse is kind of in an awkward position at the moment. It can fill multiple roles, but clearly lacks the edge to exceed in any of them. Which again is fine..
    • Captainrussia wrote:

jwhite179 wrote:

3 curse staves (out of 6) get AOE escalation and can be used in ZvZ or small scale PVP... how is that not good enough?
      Great curse aoe dmg component also aoe escalates.
    • jwhite179 wrote:

Yet most alliances still ban cursed skulls from ZvZ's. It's an easily avoidable ability. Compare it to a blazing staff that continues to deal damage once the target moves out of range.
      All else aside, I was simply curious as to whether the dots were meant to have an escalation or not. With the exception of the Cursed skull, I personally would rather stick to my wailing bow for ZvZ's. The fact that nearly every remark on this thread has gone a different direction (ie. support weapon, tank weapon, only used for the armor pierce, saying its a great dps weapon) just proves my concern that curse is kind of in an awkward position at the moment. It can fill multiple roles, but clearly lacks the edge to exceed in any of them. Which again is fine..
      When you can oneshot 20 people with a damnation, I guess you can say that it's strong as a DPS.
    • Gank wrote:

Captainrussia wrote:

Great curse aoe dmg component also aoe escalates.
      You mean Demonic?
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

400 Holy Spec
    • Gugusteh wrote:

jwhite179 wrote:

When you can oneshot 20 people with a damnation, I guess you can say that it's strong as a DPS.
      Please show one shred of proof that a damnation can one shot... lol

As someone mentioned earlier, curse E's have significantly less base damage than all other weapon lines.
    • jwhite179 wrote:

Gugusteh wrote:

jwhite179 wrote:

Please show one shred of proof that a damnation can one shot... lol
      As someone mentioned earlier, curse E's have significantly less base damage than all other weapon lines.
      does this please you?
    • Gugusteh wrote:

does this please you?
      where you hit 13 people and deal 40% of their hp? No, not really. Any brimstone, wailing, grovekeeper, heron, longbow, permafrost, axe, sword, hell even a badon would do more damage with hitting 13 people.. Again, you're still missing the point of this post.

As I stated earlier, the fact that nearly every post has stated that curse can be tank, support, or damage just supports that curse isn't really "meta" in the zvz scene. The role can simply be filled better with other weapons.

edit: after recounting, that was actually 16 people who got hit by that damnation, which only proves its damage is even more lacking than previously stated.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jwhite179 ().

• jwhite179 wrote:

where you hit 13 people and deal 40% of their hp? No, not really. Any brimstone, wailing, grovekeeper, heron, longbow, permafrost, axe, sword, hell even a badon would do more damage with hitting 13 people.. Again, you're still missing the point of this post.
      As I stated earlier, the fact that nearly every post has stated that curse can be tank, support, or damage just supports that curse isn't really "meta" in the zvz scene. The role can simply be filled better with other weapons.

edit: after recounting, that was actually 16 people who got hit by that damnation, which only proves its damage is even more lacking than previously stated.
      BA Bomb squad is one of the best ZvZ groups, If they use a weapon, there is a reason, and they clearly use the damnation a lot. In this video, it's mainly old clips and only a few were after the last damnation change.
      I can assure you that it's one of the best, if not the best weapon to clap in ZvZ atm.

If you think BA bomb squads use random weapons for the fun you fool yourself.

The strength of the damnation comes mainly from AoE escalation since it's currently the widest damage AoE in the game.

Cursed has also a lot of good aspects and that's why you can see it played as a support / PvE tank. Diversity doesn't mean lack of strength everywhere.
    • jwhite179 wrote:

The more people that hit a target also gives defensive escalation. So if you had a full party of damnations, it still wouldn't kill anyone.
      lul wut?

The dmg escalation would cancel itself with the zerg protection (+10% vs -10%) but 10 damnations is still 10x 500 = 5k DMG (not even taking in the armor shredding effect, that would further increase the DMG) in a 13 meter AOE range rofl....

EDIT - and ZvZ escalation applies after 2+ people are attacking the target, so having 2 damanations hitting 6+ players would be -8% DMG reduction, but +50% dmg (+10% per extra player above 1), a net +42% DMG increase on 1000 DMG (500 x 2) in a 13m radius. Thats around 1400 DMG before the armor shredding.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().