Please BEWARE this SCAM tactic

• Please BEWARE this SCAM tactic

First of all, I didn't fall for the scam, and I hope nobody else does either.
      Secondly, let me say I am sorry I don't have a full recording. I didn't expect this would be a scam attempt, so I only recorded with the "record that" feature after the fact, and it only goes back like 30 seconds. The pics I show will prove this was a scam attempt though. Here is the story, then the pics to prove it.

Pic 1: First conversation agreeing to sell the wolf for 130 million.
      Pic 2: The person used a low fame alt (first clue something was up, since the scammer didn't have balls enough to use his main).

After this, he came to Martlock and opened a trade window with me and I placed the wolf in, and he placed the 130 million in (he actually did have 130 million on this alt). Then I hit accept. He then says "take this too, I am overloaded" and places 64 tier 5 runes in the window (so in my mind I would think that was the reason my "accept" went away) and also took a 0 out making it 13 million instead.

Pic 3: Him asking me to "take this too".
      Pic 4: Shows the runes and the silver is 13 million (not 130 million). Sorry again, the "record that" feature only went back so far and just missed the part where it did say 130 million in the trade window.
      Pic 5: Me trying to talk to him after but he doesn't respond anymore (probably sad it didn't work hehe).

One more time, sorry for no full recording. I don't expect an investigation, I am not crying (maybe I would be if it worked), I am just posting this to make sure I get the word out so this doesn't happen to anyone.
      Images
      • pic1.png

219.98 kB, 1,416×672, viewed 469 times
      • pic2.png

141.11 kB, 1,416×672, viewed 332 times
      • pic3.png

25.47 kB, 1,416×672, viewed 395 times
      • pic4.png

181.18 kB, 1,416×758, viewed 478 times
      • pic5.png

105.92 kB, 1,416×672, viewed 390 times
    • Hi @Ravenar,

So do I understand you correctly that you would prefer to have "130 m" there instead of "130,000,000"?

I would argue that this would make the situation worse, see example:

130,450,000 = 130 m
      130,000,000 = 130 m

The only way to actually read out the real amount would be via a tooltip, which I would clearly argue is worse. A player could put the correct amount in at first, then pull the same scam mentioned above and there wouldnt even be a change of the number displayed.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
      Mo
    • GrayMo wrote:

Hi @Ravenar,

So do I understand you correctly that you would prefer to have "130 m" there instead of "130,000,000"?

I would argue that this would make the situation worse, see example:

130,450,000 = 130 m
      130,000,000 = 130 m

The only way to actually read out the real amount would be via a tooltip, which I would clearly argue is worse. A player could put the correct amount in at first, then pull the same scam mentioned above and there wouldnt even be a change of the number displayed.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
      Mo
      Hi, thanks for the reply ^^

So someone pointed this to me in game once I warned people of a guy using the scam. I can not take credit for this.

When setting up a buy order in the AH, there is the total price which is clearer than the number in the textfield. As seen in this picture highlighed with green rectangle.

When trading with someonde directly there is only the textfield. They are not consistent.

I would prefer if the "k" was replaced with 000 or thou. but that may be just me. For example Russian translation is several characters long.

There have been dozens of incidents of people gotten scammed by these. As I said, scamming seems to be allowed but UI should not work in favor of the scammer too much...

One more point now that I got your attention. Ghostwolf will be soon over 1B in value. One cannot set a buy order of over 1B silver ;)
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ravenar ().