Ladder System and Rewards for Arena's

• Ladder System and Rewards for Arena's

Title says it all. Give a ladder system for the current arena where you can have pre-made (full 5), solo (just you), and group (2-3) ques. Have brackets and rankings. End of season rewards mounts/cosmetics/portraits. Weekly chest drops for playing in X number of games.

I'm thinking WoW type arena rewards but more LoL type ladder.

This provides endless content. Great to stream. Skill based pvp (with ipcaps so not getting out geared). New strats and builds for specific arena plays.

The one problem with this game in my opinion is it can be punishing to a solo player, don't have terry's in black zone? have fun dieing 50% of the time if you want to gather high tier resources. No friends online, have fun in a solo dungeon when a group of 3 come in. Solo ganking, good luck getting kills (actually that ones okay...). Ranked arena would enable these players to take a break from losing their gear and instead could sit at the bottom of the ladder so they dont have any doubts they are trash and cant use the "I'm solo player as an excuse"

It's great content when waiting for buddies to log in. Great content to warm up for hell gates or GvG (I imagine it wont be the best as people would run arena builds but w/e you get the point).

Streaming content, basically LoL quality entertainment only less rng and all team fight instead of the farming / ganking first 20 mins. I could see many people joining the game after watching some intresting streams, or even MoBA players trying the game out and sticking with it.

Lets make it happen!
    • Arena is the "lowest" tier of PvP, its to play around or try out a dumb build. maybe fight with your fancy flex set. But its the opposite of competitive and it has to stay that way.
      The competitive side is GvG and Crystall GvG. I think Crystall GvG has rankings? But i dont really know anything about that.

Just please leave arena as a slugfest that doesnt really matter.
      (Also, albion is not a "queue in town for x" type of game and doesnt want to be that. So i dont think that change would even be considered)
    • Since in my proposed idea the core of area didn't change the points about it being a slug fest or a place to fight with your flex set wouldn't change. However it would enable others who like the concept of arena to play in a more competitive scene.

Answer this if you will, if I just started this game and I want to pvp what are my options? GvG's and Crystals are blocked by the barrier of being in a guild or alliance and knowing 4 other people who also want to invest time and $ into GvGing. That is a huge commitment for someone who enjoys playing the game but doesn't want to invest all their free time or swipe their credit card to play high tier full loot pvp.

If you want to run into arena to try a new build you would be fully able to do so with or without the ranked system I proposed. The difference is it would let other play it more competitively with would increase the player base. And don't get it twisted, if new players join, they would get bored of arena's and want to do other things or maybe want to experience the highest level of pvp which would still be GvGing.

Think of it like league of legends, you have care bears who never play rank, join with friends and just do w/e because they are there for the slug fest and to have fun. Then you have those who try and win but cant get past bronze, and finally you get top tier players who enjoy playing at a competitive level. Your entire point basiclly says, top tier players can just go GvG (as if there is no blockers into just jumping into that) and arena is for causal playing only.

Why couldn't it be both? Why are you making it an either or situation? Nothing would change GvG's and crystals from being the top form of pvp since it is how guilds determine ranks for seasons, but it would enable those who don't have access to such forms of pvp to also enjoy the mechanics and skill required to be at a top tier lvl. New strategies and tactics would be made to win arena, new meta's and builds which would require people going out to fame up new items or developing counter tactics. Some of these tactics would spill over into hell gates and GvG's as you can try dumb things if you're not worried about losing gear and don't have a 30 minute down time to get into a hell gate.

GvG's and Crystals are for the guild and guild level players think of them like nation conquering battles (old roman times), Arena's we be the entertainment, to show top individual skill (like gladiator matches). As players dominate the arena, don't you think top tier guilds would want them to join their gvg teams? This creates a bridge for solo players to join top GvG teams. Lets players who don't have as much time and access enjoy the high quality pvp this game has to offer in 5v5 combat. Allows streams fantastic content which would increase the player base.

Other than it not being something you would enjoy, what's the problem with catering to the non large guild/alliance group of players so this game is fun for more than 2 weeks?

Finally on your point of Albion is not a "queue in town for x" there is already arena... there is expeditions... and scrimmages... The only difference this creates repeat ability and something to do when you don't have your group of friends online.

I guess if you're too elitist to see the value this would add both to the game and player base because "that isn't what this game it about" then fair enough. This proposal wasn't about what this game is, it's about what it could be. A 5v5 arena game in which RNG plays almost no role with a ladder system so you can play with people of similar skill. A way to enable content for the players who play in small groups or with friends. A way to get a foot in the door into a top tier GvG team / Guild. So many benefits, not seeing many negatives but please enlighten me if I am missing something.
    • @Maes
      Since you seem very passionate about this topic let me take my time to respond to your idea.
      First of all, adding a ladder system and additional rewards to arena is an idea that in my opinion conflicts with the core game idea. I think you are forgetting that Albion, at it's heart, isn't a Moba, it's a (hardcore) Sandbox MMORPG. Arena's are fine the way they are right now. Sometimes fun, sometimes stupid, a place to try out weird stuff. To give new people a basic idea of pvp and for veterans to kill some time.
      Adding ranking and additional rewards to a townsitter activity seems to me like a really bad idea, as it encourages that behaviour. The last time a really rewarding activity was put in the city(Hard core expeditions) that outvalued openworld fame farm, it was really bad for the game. Random Dungeons kinda fixxed that. Every town sitter system has hard downsides right now(expeditions give a small portion of openworld fame, arena's give very little fame rewards compared to HG, scrims give no rewards at all).
      If there was a ladder for Arena's, why would person x with his group go out of the town to find a hellgate if there is a similar more convenient option. Why leave the town and risk your gear if you can have a competetive 5v5 experience all day long. Then people will ask themselves why do i even need gear in the first place? this one set i have is enough. It's a pessimistic view, but we could see this happen to be honest(as was the case with HCE kinda)
      IP capped content should never outvalue or offer unique rewards compared to other activities.
      If I think about what is fun about hg, gvg and stuff, winning is fun sure, but i get the most enjoyement playing with people i know, that i have bonds with and against people i hate. Solo players in a multiplayer game always have the downside that they are infact solo and cannot participate in group content. Wanna hg/gvg? find friends or a guild that is likeminded. Form bonds. Form friendships. Find that 1 guy you really can't stand and that yoo will always jump in hellgates.

Maes wrote:

I guess if you're too elitist to see the value this would add both to the game and player base because "that isn't what this game it about" then fair enough. This proposal wasn't about what this game is, it's about what it could be. A 5v5 arena game in which RNG plays almost no role with a ladder system so you can play with people of similar skill. A way to enable content for the players who play in small groups or with friends. A way to get a foot in the door into a top tier GvG team / Guild. So many benefits, not seeing many negatives but please enlighten me if I am missing something.
      You don't need a ladder-system to prove yourself worthy of being on a high-end team. Join a good guild. Hellgate with pugs(there's a great discord for that 24/7 HG discord link = discord.gg/73dXRsW ). Get yourself known in the community. Talk to people. Albions strongest point always has and always will be its strongest point. BTW there's plenty of content for players who play with small groups. Just to list a few :
      - ganking
      - fame farm
      - hellgate
      - dungeon diving
      - Arena(lol)

tl;dr : Ladder system for arena would be bad for game, takes people from openworld. change my mind.
    • SBI, really. Different players are asking for some minor arena improvements like every day.
      Arenas are really fking addictive, and i believe it is not a non-factor of holding bored players from leaving the game, as easy accessible content diversity.
      Give it some love! <3
      WTB skill
    • I understand where you're coming from, having been a high ranked PvPer in WoW before BFA killed it. Some people enjoy small scale organized PvP environments like 3v3, 5v5, 10v10. In AO basically anyone interested in that type of content has to resort to GvGs which not only do you need a ton of fame to even be viable in you have to find and/or form a team for it and be ready to fork over millions of silver for each battle. To the guy arguing arenas shouldn't be meaningful because this isn't a Moba..... neither is WoW or Guild Wars 2 and they have great instanced PvP content. People seem to forget being a "sandbox MMO" means it has no story. That's it. There is no story, you "make your own". Contrast to that is "theme park mmos" which guess what: has a story and a loose set path to experience that story in. I don't get all the references people make to Mobas for this game, if anything it's more akin to Diablo 3 combat wise if Jagex remade it into an MMO. Maybe it's because a lot of people came over from league? I don't know, I don't think this game is anything like league tbh.

From my experience the vast majority of players frown upon arena and would rather just ZvZ. Rank to them is their kill fame per week or whatever. Arenas are the most accessible small scale pvp instances in the game and I believe they actually have a lot of value. What they lack in value is the rewards and variation on the map. There's no incentive to do more than 3 wins a day and you always play a Gilneas style map that supports objective play more than team fight play. If you want to fight you either have to get lucky and run into a team who wants to 5v5 or camp a node the entire game and don't let anyone capture it. Personally I think AO would benefit from a ranked arena structure similar to wow, which would award cosmetic mount skins based on placement. The devs seem like they're trying to put more single player stuff into the game (I would tread carefully here SBI, WoW went overboard with that shit and lost a lot of people) so a way to progress your character in PvP solo seems like a logical move.

One thing I started doing, before all the connection problems prevented me from playing anymore, is when I would form a hell gate team we would do a few manditory arenas. This way I could verify everyone was competent and we could work together with some shrivel of synergy. At first people hated the idea, then after a few games the realized just how valuable the experience they got was from doing the Arena before going out for gates. I dare say..... they even had fun with it.

The problem is, there isn't a lot of interest overall for such a system so it's unlikely. Us "we just want team deathmatch" guys are in the minority.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Deathikus ().

• gmatagmis wrote:

Deathikus wrote:

WoW went overboard
      Remarkable.Arena was the last and only stronghold of some kind of socialization in WoW, as i remember my last experience. =))))
      WoD was the last addon i bought.

You missed out then, Legion was probably the best expansion for PvP they ever did. Of course the whole legendary RNG thing was cancer if you were into PvE but Legion really was the pinnacle of wow instanced pvp. They just decided to say screw all that, scrap it, and start over with a very flawed system that just opened the flood gates for abuse (looking at you raid trinkets). I mentioned this problem the very day the opened up the gladiator sanctum for people to beta test arenas/bgs and was flamed pretty hard by the "we want gear to matter" crowd. Fast forward 6 months and the PvP scene is effectively dead and watching tournaments is boring because everyone has these overpowered defensive trinkets that drag games on into extremely high dampening.

But hey, Cdew finally won a blizzcon RITE
    • Lucifen wrote:

Arena is the "lowest" tier of PvP, its to play around or try out a dumb build. maybe fight with your fancy flex set. But its the opposite of competitive and it has to stay that way.
      The competitive side is GvG and Crystall GvG. I think Crystall GvG has rankings? But i dont really know anything about that.

Just please leave arena as a slugfest that doesnt really matter.
      (Also, albion is not a "queue in town for x" type of game and doesnt want to be that. So i dont think that change would even be considered)

Imagine calling arena's a dumb slugfest and zerg PVP competitive.