Use "match making" to make 2v2 hellgates a pseudo-1v1 hellgate option by prioritizing solo's against each other

• Use "match making" to make 2v2 hellgates a pseudo-1v1 hellgate option by prioritizing solo's against each other

Adjust how hellgate matching is done so that, as much as possible, you match solo's against each other, and duos against each other. Everyone wins.
      • Duo teams complain about getting solo's because they want a fight, so this increases the odds they get put against another team
      • Solo players get an opportunity for a fair 1v1 fight
      Everyone who uses the gates gets a better experience, without requiring a separate 1v1 hellgate option. This wouldn't be a guarantee, obviously sometimes there would still be 1v2 scenarios, but that could become an exception to the norm, not a regular occurance.

Downsides? There are none! It's a perfect idea.
    • Downsides? Matchmaking requires a queue and some waiting.
      People already have to wait for the hellgate bat mob to spawn, so a little more waiting would not hurt, or would it?
      Anyway, I dont believe there is any matchmaking in the current HG. The system just puts you on the first available HG, with no queue and no waiting once the bat is killed.

But this is a really good idea if well implemented.

The way I see it, the easiest way and possibly the best to implement this is to never match solo players with duos. With this, even if there is a 2v2 hg open, a solo player would join a 1v1 hg instead. And likewise for the duo not entering a solo hg.

There may be people that enjoy doing 1v2 in HG, so there is also this downside.
    • Falk_ wrote:

Downsides? Matchmaking requires a queue and some waiting.
      Well people don't get put into the hell-gate simultaneously. The way I was thinking about it, duo's get put into a "duo gate", solo's into a "solo gate" and then when another team enters a portal they get put in the appropriate one. Which is basically what you said at the end of your comment now that I'm reading it.

For people who want to 1v2, remember that the game doesn't know if you plan on bringing another player or not. In fact sometimes when you do plan to bring an ally, they don't make it in (like someone interferes). It would only be able to see if you are in a party, the assumption being if you have a group then one of them is supposed to join. If you have no group, you are solo. It's a bit hacky, but people who want to 1v2 could party with someone, putting them into the 2v2 gate, but still enter alone.

There are definitely some details that could be cleaned up depending on how SBI want to implement, but it's clear there is a strong desire for solo hellgate play. While SBI could just add a third separate type of hellgate portal for solo's, I think building off 2v2 gates could save some effort. Plus we wouldn't be reducing the number of 2v2 gates available, it would just become up to the players what they use them for.
    • I think the introduction of solo RDs will help with the amount of solos in gates today (although still going to be the occasional nature trolling I am sure). There has just been nothing PvE wise for solo players to do so they have been flocking to 2s gates.

But I still also say they should just collapse the 2s gate to just the chest area (the 3 exits from mid blocked off) for a fight to the death with all remaining players once the 3 mini bosses are dead. This provides enough room for kiting builds but also sure a fight has to happen for the loot. Gates are suppose to be high risk high reward but some builds take advantage of the current map design to make it incredibly low risk.
    • FriendlyFire wrote:

In the open world I rarely see natures built to just run. Nature staff is a pretty good 1v1 weapon after all. Add to that I've run into two nature staffs 1v1 in 2v2 gates in the last week and both of them fought me.
      I just see them running...and the circular shape design of hellgates gives a lot of advantage for running builds..and that sux...it's boring to chase a single druid for 20 min
    • Diablera wrote:

I just see them running...and the circular shape design of hellgates gives a lot of advantage for running builds..and that sux...it's boring to chase a single druid for 20 min
      They run because they go in with a build and plan to run, because they expect an unwinnable 1v2 fight. In my experience, the majority will stop and fight me when they realize I'm solo.

What this suggests to me is if they could reliably get a 1v1, most would not plan to run in the first place. I'm sure some still will, after all some teams go into 5s with a plan to run, but it would be reduced for sure.
    • You don't get it.

After you have won the hellgate, inside the hellgate

2 portals spam

A red one (the one of today) that exits the hellgate
      A black one, which leads you to the next hellgate, matching you same time with another team

Advantage: the competition is already preselected. The matchmaking has time, because you are in a safe environment inside the hg to wait for competition.
      The rewards are doubled because the teams carry their loot.

It is probably even faster to get matched as to wait / search for new gate outside