PVE tank healing: holy VS divine

• PVE tank healing: holy VS divine

Which one would you recommend for single target and in particolar for tank healing in pve (dungeons and expeditions mostly)?

Both excel and single target, with Holy (1H) having a great E for emergency healing especially when paired with Holy Blessing on the W for that extra 30%, and Divine having a great shield absorbing huge amount of damage with Divine Protection

The problems for me are:

1) the combo Holy Blessing + Desperate Prayer is awesome when tank is very low on health, but they pretty much have to be used together and they have different cooldowns (15 and 10 sec) meaning that I'd have to wait for both of them to be available in order to get the best out of it. Using Desperate Prayer alone just doesn't seem to be that much powerful.
      Holy Beam on the other hand is a much better W spell than Holy Blessing, but won't buff Desperate Prayer.

2) Divine staff E spell is extremely powerful but has a cooldown of 25 sec wich is quite a lot and its shield only lasts for 4 sec, meaning that you need to know EXACTLY when to drop it on the tank otherwise it will easily go wasted. Moreover, the shield is not a heal, so if wasted then you are down to 2 healing spells (Q and W) rather than 3.
      It's a proactive spell, usually more difficult to use than any reactive spell, given its short duration.

All other holy staffs seem to be much more AOE oriented, so I'd rather stick to one of these 2. Any advice?
    • teopower89 wrote:

All other holy staffs seem to be much more AOE oriented, so I'd rather stick to one of these 2. Any advice?
      Great Holy staff is .. great:
      Single target heals on 'Q' (i prefer the stronger heal to the quick and weak one because it allows you to reposition between casts, although there are times when quick heal shines - when you have to heal the party).
      Holy Beam on 'W' is just too good in PvE (as long as you position yourself properly to avoid mobs' CC/pulls and other crap)
      'E''s Holy Explosion is not just an AoE heal - it also pushes enemies away disrupting their casts. So its quite good CC/Emergency button.
    • 1h holy is my fav wep in the game

with that being said, divine is the best pve heal staff

teopower89 wrote:

Moreover, the shield is not a heal
      not true... at the end of the shield it becomes a small aoe heal

holy blessing and holy beam are both viable (W) abilities... beam is technically better for pve, but holy blessing is better if you get dove by pvpers
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

400 Holy Spec
    • Zbrkesbris wrote:

teopower89 wrote:

Great Holy staff is .. great:
      I'm sure it is, but is clearly NOT a single target/tank healing staff. It is considered a cheap option for ZvZ, so not what I'm looking for, but Thanks.

Fusionbomb wrote:

1h holy is my fav wep in the game

with that being said, divine is the best pve heal staff
      Based on? Don't get me wrong, I see by myself that is a very viable option. Only I wonder why according to you it is obviusly better even if it comes with a 25s cooldown (rather than 15s of Desperate Prayer) and it needs to be use proactively, meaning it may absorb only 500dmg rather than its full amount (1500dmg on average).
      Moreover, compared to 1h Holy Staff with offhand, is Divine Staff more energy hungry? With 1h Holy and Tome I currently never run out of energy, but I wonder what would happen with Divine.

The post was edited 1 time, last by teopower89 ().

• Fusionbomb wrote:

use lymhurst cape, mana regen on any helm, mana sprint on any cloth boots
      lymhurst cape alone is enough if you use "restore mana on AA" passive on staff (you do have time to AA if you use Generous Heal). I'd use Guardian helm for that extra clutch group heal, although if group has problems with energy management - druid cowl is just the right tool.

teopower89 wrote:

but is clearly NIOT a single target/tank healing staff. It is considered a cheap option for ZvZ, so not what I'm looking for
      Not sure who considers what, but from my experience situations where you have to heal tank only are VERY rare in group PvE content, especially if you have melee for dps. Bosses have their kinks for rangeds as well. Tunnel-visioning oneself into tank will get your group wiped.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Zbrkesbris ().

• Fusionbomb wrote:

actually, the tank should be the only one taking damage in a competent pve group... the healer shouldn't HAVE to worry about anyone else
      thats not how some (most?) boss mechanics works unfortunately. Some switch aggro randomly (er tested it multiple times, its not aggro loss).

Also just like you like 1h Holy, I like to take that 1 step further and prefer Lifetouch as the best PVE group (up to 5 man) staff:

Because you have 3 heal spells all on relatively short CD... and you can cleanse yourself with E (or ally) if shit hits the fan. Also I think Lifetouch E overall heals for more then 1h holy E.

Lifetouch is an artifact and thus it costs a bit more... but I feel that its a good and a well deserved upgrade to the 1h holy. If money is an issue - people should go 1h holy instead.

PS. I don't "main" as a healer, so in that video obviously my healing wasn't stellar, so cut me some slack. And the guy with 2h Carving with Specter Jacket was supper annoying as he appeared to make my life super difficult

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().

• Captainrussia wrote:

thats not how some (most?) boss mechanics works unfortunately. Some switch aggro randomly (er tested it multiple times, its not aggro loss).

I can't think of a single boss that guarantees damage on a player other than tank. Some switch aggro and "throw" something, maybe... but it can almost always be avoided. Is there a particular fight I was supposed to watch in your vid as an example?

I'm sure there may be 1 or 2 exceptions, in regards to bosses, but general pve… tank should be the only one taking damage for sure.

Captainrussia wrote:

And the guy with 2h Carving with Specter Jacket was supper annoying as he appeared to make my life super difficult
      yea, specter jacket sux
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

400 Holy Spec

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fusionbomb ().

• Fusionbomb wrote:

I can't think of a single boss that guarantees damage on a player other than tank.
      Bomber in hidden mines... bottles that he throws at ranged players are unavoidable - on hit they deal some damage and then start to charge trap(mine) beneath the character.
      Giant in Ancient cave: you want to stay far away from him to not get hit and blown away by his AoE, but he throws AoE boulders at those who stand away and the less HP boss has - the more often he attacks.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Zbrkesbris ().

• Bomber throws mines on tank or whoever has agro, so tank can just pile them up on opposite side of room or around boss if theres no melees, its super simple in grp where people can move.
      The slimes go to the guy who is furthest away from boss, so put your longest range guy with brain to max range, rest middlerange, while tank moves in and out of melee range to drop mines in nice place away from others.
      Ofc all this is too hard for 90% of the playerbase.
    • Zbrkesbris wrote:

Fusionbomb wrote:

I can't think of a single boss that guarantees damage on a player other than tank.
      Bomber in hidden mines... bottles that he throws at ranged players are unavoidable - on hit they deal some damage and then start to charge trap(mine) beneath the character.Giant in Ancient cave: you want to stay far away from him to not get hit and blown away by his AoE, but he throws AoE boulders at those who stand away and the less HP boss has - the more often he attacks.
      ^--This.. bomber in hidden mine, archer in tombraider and crossbolt in morgana. all of those have mechanic switch... They drop out of aggro and hit a different target.

Some times you can fight 2 blue chest crossbolt mini bosses, if they switch to a target at the same time they will get rekt.

There is one more in hidden keeper. The boss with the 2 [dual] axes, he drop aoe lighting and spin at low % health, he randomly jump to a target and hits the healer, shaman boss when rooting can also switch target after he roots [hidden keeper purple chest]....

So yeah those.
      goo.gl/xPMhXU
      goo.gl/GK4CMs
      Random dungeon https://bit.ly/2L5TxnS
      Outnumber https://bit.ly/2YEU56n
      Arena https://bit.ly/2ZKD3or
      Hudini: https://bit.ly/2XTonBI
      HGguidance https://bit.ly/2Ymu1gs
    • I use a 1h holy staff with a torch offhand. Druid cowl, scholar robe, cleric shoes, morgana cape.

Super fast, bursty heals. Energy issues non existent, Flash heal, holy beam, desperate prayer.

The cool downs are short.

Has done the job and done it well as far as I've played, black and red zone dungeons and hardcore expeditions (up to t7)

Edit: A word

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriane ().

• Hi

All staff are good for PVE, just try to find your own preference and do not heal only the Tank, you must heal all the players at anytime.
      Dont wait 10% life to Heal someone and play again and again with Chaotic party this is a good training, we learn in Chaos.
      Healing is a long way, take your time to learn in solo/party T4 expedition, dont jump directly in T5/T6/HCE without any experience.

Healing is a Team work, players normally do avoid high damage if possible but this exist only in paper, 90 % of times you do manage strange party with a lot of
      basic errors.

If you can Heal 5 players, avoid damage, move, switch target all of this in fight, DPS and Tank can make the same thing normally.
      Yes the gear can help but a Tank by example in T5 expédition in full T8 without gameplay or a Tank full T3 with gameplay i suggest to choice T3 Tank.
      You are not a nanny, the whole group must do their job properly.

To finish dont trust any Tank, ok not funny.

Ettt

The post was edited 10 times, last by Shuups ().

• "...but general pve… tank should be the only one taking damage for sure."

No. There are many mobs with random target selection, some of which is impossible or very difficult to avoid. On top of this there are bugs such as enemies shooting abilities the opposite direction from their cast indicator and facing.

Realistically you can't expect your DPS to NEVER take damage.

To answer the original question I think divine is better than holy staff for PvE because both staves are going to be healing primarily on q and w, with e for situations where tank is in trouble. Divine has higher item power, the E mitigates much more damage than the holy staff E, and it has a substantial AOE heal for situations where party needs heals, without taking away from ability to heal tank. Divine E is great for big pulls as you know when tank is going to be taking the damage, and because the shield doesn't create agro for the healer ruining the tanks pull. All around better item in my opinion.
    • miss understanding xD

Only holy then.
      Since shield doesnt count resist -> its usless in high level dungeons or HCE +holy usefull in gvg/arena +holy can protect from melee creeps agro+holy have atleast fine aoe heal. Holy is also CC in 2x2/5x5 hellgate .(but in hellgate both staff are crap or...fine 2.5/5).Also holy can interrupt bosses with E skill and pull them away if its final boss of dungeon or purple/legendary chest. Divine may be (!) will be better in solo dungeon release.

Fallen or redemption much better then holy and much better then divine. Divine right now is one of the WORST heal staff.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Berzal ().