Exit Critique

• Exit Critique

I've been playing for about 7 weeks now. I think the concept and systems in Albion are pretty good but unfortunately in a game that revolves purely around the community for content it lives and dies by that sword. If you have a bad community then you have a bad game. To be fair I'm not complaining about lack of solo content or even blaming SBI for the issues I've had getting into content in this game. It's not SBI's fault, it's the player base. I did try to play solo for awhile in the beginning and quickly learned it's impossible to progress your character in any meaningful way without groups. After the group finder (Lol that thing) failed me I finally gave in and joined a guild in one of the mega alliances thinking "surely with this many people I can find some good content". I was pretty mistaken here. You know how many dungeons I ran during the 25% bonus XP? A couple. You know how much time I spent in Caerleon spamming /alliance and /guild looking for a group? Several hours a day. In fact I even attempted to get groups together by offering players millions of silver (of which I have plenty of thanks to 90% of my game time being gathering since it's the only real solo activity besides arenas/expeditions) yet still: nothing. It's not like I'm really under geared, a total noob, or anything as I'm 300/400 in my druidic staff build (80 in all artifacts) and have successfully healed 5v5 HGs, and 5 man T8 dungeons without issues.

So obviously my guild/alliance isn't for me right? Natural thing to do was quit my guild and attempt to join another one, which I did. The issue here is all of the guilds/alliances worth joining are pretty much at capacity (not accepting random new people), their requirements are so high you have to play for a very long time to meet them, or they simply just don't speak english. After a few days of applying to every guild out of my home city I could find and having no luck, I decided to rejoin my previous guild because otherwise I was just plain screwed on ever getting any content. Coming from playing WoW at a very high level I understand that people naturally form cliques and relationships with people and I went from playing a game where everyone wanted me on their team to a game where I stand in caerleon for 7 hours trying to form a group and end up getting people who can't speak english well, use terrible builds and have 900 IP, think you don't need a tank to run T8s, and stand in every mob mechanic complaining when they die. Yet when I mention this to guild leadership all I get is "well bad fame better than no fame, but you probably just aren't trying hard enough". It's pretty frustrating to say the least, and if I can't progress my character then there's simply no reason to play this game. As primarily someone who is interested in instanced/structured PvP (such as GvGs, Hellgates, Arenas) the only option I have to do by myself is Arena which has no balance in place and the worst rewards in the game that you can only get 3 times a day making it pretty worthless to play past winning 3 games unless you're just bored. At this point i've lost any incentive to even log in anymore other than to play a few Arenas or gather. My guild expects me to show up to zvz's 24/7, which I admit can be pretty fun, however they do nothing to progress my character. I've thrown away millions of silver into ZvZ's and never gotten a single piece of gear or anything out of it than a tiny bit of kill fame. Hell if I even ATTEMPTED to loot I would probably be reported as a combat looter and removed from my guild or fined.

I also don't like the fact that I'm forced to join some mega alliance in the first damn place to be able to really do anything in the black zones. Maybe forced is a strong word but you're gimping yourself pretty damn hard if you don't, especially in Merica, if don't like getting ganked by 20 people the second your bubble runs out. Again none of this is really SBI's fault and there's nothing they can do about it, but as I said in the beginning: community is the backbone of this game. I do feel like I got my $20 worth from the game and it helped me pass the time waiting for Classic WoW. Just so we're clear I'm not leaving out of hatred or anger for the game. It's become obvious that I don't fit in with the community and the whole "in albion, everyone matters" schtick isn't really true. In albion only 1% of the player base matters and everyone else is just left in the dark unable to progress in the game in a meaningful and efficient way.
    • I get you, and I don't think you are wrong overall.

But while you can say that most of the game issues come from the players themselves, you are wrong when you say it is not SBI's fault.
      SBI is the one giving players the tools to make the game community and players activities and experience bad or good. If the game allows and does not punish big alliances, then players will do it. If the game does not punish PKing hard enough, then players are going to do it at will. And this applies for everything in the game. Whatever the players are doing that makes the game feel bad, is because SBI allows it.

So if you have a hard time finding a group to do dungeons, like you said, it is very likely that SBI can do something about it. Why are the players not interested enough in this specific content? Not rewarding enough? Too risky? Not fun? Too time consuming?

But then again, I'm with you. I think Albion's community is very, very unfriendly. But that is the game's fault, not the players (at least not entirely).
    • Wow, how You cant find group as an healer xD?
      I meet only friendly players, sometimes they are harsh, but still most of the time, I dont have issue to chat with anyone about anything. You know, outsite of city you need to have this attitude "it is just buisness, nothing personal" xD
      So problem dont lie on community side.
      Deal with it, or give up.
      (For egYou can give up staffs by giving my access to your island with rights to urs chests)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Qolkkalom ().

• Qolkkalom wrote:

Wow, how You cant find group as an healer xD?
      I meet only friendly players, sometimes they are harsh, but still most of the time, I dont have issue to chat with anyone about anything. You know, outsite of city you need to have this attitude "it is just buisness, nothing personal" xD
      So problem dont lie on community side.
      Deal with it, or give up.
      (For egYou can give up staffs by giving my access to your island with rights to urs chests)

I hate to disappoint you but I sold everything on my character and gave the silver away in a raffle.That's about the only thing I sort of understood in your post.

Crane wrote:

You can't find groups as a 300/400 nature healer? Says more about you than the game actually.

Deathikus wrote:

form a group and end up getting people who can't speak english well, use terrible builds and have 900 IP, think you don't need a tank to run T8s, and stand in every mob mechanic complaining when they die.

But I agree, it probably is my fault and why I'm going back to games I can get actual content in. AO is a great game, just not for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Deathikus ().

• this is a hardcore game after all.

Hardcore mechanichs will always generate toxicity.

I see some peoole here writing stuff like "if SBI lets players pk at will".... well, this IS A PVP BASED GAME". Being able.to pvp at will with no punishment(Blackzones) is what makes the game atracting.Those that dislike that should simply move to a different game, a more casual one.

If people dont like hardcore games, why do they even play them? It makes no sense to me.
    • Grimhawke-EB wrote:

Sounds like you just joined bad guilds/alliances. I also don't think it's necessary to be a part of a mega alliance. I've been on both sides of the fence and they both have their pros and cons.

I'd say give it one more shot, they say the third time is a charm. PM me on discord, I'm always looking to recruit good healers.
      Probably, however at the moment it's impossible for me to even play the game anyway. When I first started playing everything was fine then about a month ago they started getting "DDoSed" and now apparently they have issues with certain ISPs connecting to them. SBIs response is basically "there's nothing we can do, use a VPN" so at this point between the community and the shit servers: I'm done.
    • Joining mega alliance guild in purpose of progressing character is a mistake.
      Because mega alliances main priorities are totally different.
      Mainly to deal with numerous ZvZ objectives. Warcapms, castles, mages defense, mage farm, roaming ZvZ.
      PvP endgame, where players just a resource to achieve objectives.
      Take a look at lesser guilds, which have no such responsibility, where most of the players are in character progression stage too, and trying to care about every member because of low numbers.
      WTB skill