A solo players review. Before you buy Albion.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A solo players review. Before you buy Albion.

Ive played this game for 2 months premium and F2P. Before you invest time and or money into this game heres my tip. Dont bother even installing unless you have 5 or 6 friends to play with this game is EXTREMELY unfriendly and unfair to solo players. Sure you can join a guild but you get taxed out of ingame funds in exchange for virtually nothing, if your really really lucky maybe the guild will let you in on a dungeon rarely. As for progression farming for materials is repetitive as expected. But to get better gear you MUST travel into PVP zones and due to only having 1 ingame server and a ridiculously high population, 90% of the time you will farm or run a group dungeon for an hour or so then travel home but your 90% of the time going to be killed by 7-8 people along the way waiting for you to end your little life and take your hard earned loots. So now youve lost everything and wasted almost 2 hours to show up in your home city with nothing. A waste right? but this is the ONLY way to progress, unless you have 6 or 7 people to help you pvp or run dungeons or help each other farm. If not then you go back to farming in non pvp zones for minimal resources with the 100+ people in that zone doing what your doing, fighting for minimal resources. As for Dungeons looking for groups takes atleast 30 minutes then the dungeon which is 40 minutes(ish), if your in a non pvp zone dungeon loot is basically useless, in pvp zones dungeon loot is slightly better but your almost guaranteed to be killed IN the dungeon by a traitor in your group or another group, if you survive this then youll most likely be killed taking your loot home, another wasted hour with nothing gained but with very much lost. But this is MY solo experience yours MIGHT differ (not sure about that though). All in all i enjoyed this game UNTIL over population in pvp zones hindered my progress rendering Albion basically pointless. My recommendation if your a solo player thinking of giving Albion a try is save your money and your time invest it into Runescape 3 or something with basically the same mechanics, more servers, no over population or pvp only progression zones, youll accomplish muuch more in Runescape or elsewhere lol. I might give Albion another try if there were more servers but for now completely unplayable from a solo player stand point. :thumbdown: [spoiler][/spoiler]
    • This doesn't really fit here, as it isn't a question.

As a person who has been playing slightly less time than the guy above (about 7 weeks) I would like to rebute a few things he is saying.

Most guilds are incredibly helpful, and if running their own fame farms will almost always include newcomers to help them get off on the right foot. If there isn't much going on in his guild, it is likely he has joined what we call a "potato farmer" guild, where higher experienced people start a guild with one of their alts and then mass recruit "potatoes" (newbies) for the purpose of taxing their income just to empty the guild coffers into their own pockets. If you're going to join a guild, you should find one that utilizes Discord, meet the leader of the guild (or at least one of the officers, for larger guilds,) before joining and make sure that they are newcomer welcoming.

In regards to 'getting better gear' in PvP zones, this is partially true - however - as a solo player there is no reason A) that you ever have to travel into PvP zones or B) that you need gear any better than T4/T5 at the highest which can be purchased off of the marketplace for 5k/30k a piece respectively, and then upgraded to their appropriate item levels using rune's and soul's, getting you the equivalent of T7 gear (T5.2) for about 70k per piece depending on the market - this is good enough gear to run any piece of content in the game excluding hardcore expeditions and enhanced dungeons.

The odds of you getting ganked in the black zone can be heavily mitigated by using off-screen nameplates to evade other players. Soloing in the black zone (most dangerous) is a personal favorite for me, since there is lots of uncontested territory for you to either gather materials in, or farm solo-mobs, or treasure hunt, or any of the myriad of other enjoyable solo activities you can do in the BZ (Including ganking other solo's, especially gatherers!)

'Over-populated PvP Zones' as stated in the OP likely refers to the red zones. These are sparse, and densely populated due to their close proximity to major cities, and the ability to participate in factional warfare in these zones. If you want to get into high-reward area's without the player density - hop through your city's portal into the black zone and explore to your heart's content. It is true that people are out to get you out there, however, most small gank squads won't be able to do much if you are cautious - and larger gank squads will likely give up on a chase if you can just get out of range since they are typically more interested in small groups.

but your almost guaranteed to be killed IN the dungeon by a traitor in your group or another group, if you survive this then youll most likely be killed taking your loot home,

I have yet to encounter a 'traitor', however, I have been ganked by other groups and lost some 1.2 million in personal possessions while exploring in the black zone, doing RD's and such. However, these costs are easily mitigated by successful trips. You and a small party can adventure into high reward random dungeons with less than 100k worth of stuff each and come out with over 1m silver each (if you're lucky, in RD's this is usually more like 300k or so.)

It is true that I am not a solo player, I play with ONE other friend. But no content is off-limits to a solo player. If you are having difficulties with public groups, don't be afraid to join a guild - they are incredibly valuable.

P.S. If heading into the black zone for RD's, just stay out of T7 zones for a while. T5 and T6 zones see far less dungeon-ganker action since you can easily clear these dungeons with very low grade equipment meaning that the potential payout for gankers isn't quite as worth it as it would be elsewhere. There are some tricks commonly known to help evade gank squads when running dungeons. Play smart and you may never lose to a gank.
      I probably don't really care. Yeah no, not even about that. Nope. Juuust move along.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Frawst: Added P.S. ().

• Well, i can fully understand you.

I am a true solo player my day in albion is 60 % solo, 35 % duo, and 5 % 5 man. I NEVER go in bigger groups and rarely (last 2 months my max group is 2 people)

I live guildless in mercia which is the most toxic environment.

I mostly do hellgates, solo, it is best risk reward in the game.

There is ways to be positive in cash in this lonely life.

My result is roughly 25 mio pve fame, 50 -100mio silver gain in average per month.

Yes, i know the feeling if a 10 man dire / cat squad with fear birds traces you through 3 maps and if they finally catch you ..say "run noob"

Yes i know the invis gate gank squafd of the bug alliances if you ride in a gate that is by 10 invis people..and there just someone on a mount 2 screens away who said ..invis...if i forgot to circle before the gate...

It is frustrating, that there is NO DISADVANTAGE to simply cluster all people under one RULER, but that is SBI AND the PLAYERS who do this nonsense..

But what you cannot say, is, that you cannot gain insane fame and money solo...

I am the living, breathing opposite example...

If you ask me, the biggest mistake SBI is doing they forget one thing: Things that are rewarding and can be zerged, will be zerged.

If unlimited people could join 2 man hg, you would see BLOBs in 2 man hellgates.

You would see a ZvZ 20 on 20 on a 5 man gate...belive me

What i not understand, why they give not both, the happiness for the ZvZ people to lag themseves in zonelocked battles and the pleasure of the peopel who count on individual skills...

Solo dungeons...they could delimit the entry to these things...big dungeons...8 entraces, each collapses after one or 2 have entered...and only if one dies a new entrance opens...etc etc etc..

It could cater both...

Well ..lets see

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hollywoodi ().

• Hollywoodi wrote:

Well, i can fully understand you.

I am a true solo player my day in albion is 60 % solo, 35 % duo, and 5 % 5 man. I NEVER go in bigger groups and rarely (last 2 months my max group is 2 people)

My result is roughly 25 mio pve fame, 50 -100mio silver gain in average per month.

Yes, i know the feeling if a 10 man dire / cat squad with fear birds traces you through 3 maps and if they finally catch you ..say "run noob"

Yes i know the invis gate gank squafd of the bug alliances if you ride in a gate that is by 10 invis people..and there just someone on a mount 2 screens away who said ..invis...if i forgot to circle before the gate...

It is frustrating, that there is NO DISADVANTAGE to simply cluster all people under one RULER, but that is SBI AND the PLAYERS who do this nonsense..

If you ask me, the biggest mistake SBI is doing they forget one thing: Things that are rewarding and can be zerged, will be zerged.

If unlimited people could join 2 man hg, you would see BLOBs in 2 man hellgates.

What i not understand, why they give not both, the happiness for the ZvZ people to lag themseves in zonelocked battles and the pleasure of the peopel who count on individual skills...

Solo dungeons...they could delimit the entry to these things...big dungeons...8 entraces, each collapses after one or 2 have entered...and only if one dies a new entrance opens...etc etc etc..

It could cater both...

Well ..lets see
      could not agree more
    • Hollywoodi wrote:

Well, i can fully understand you.

It could cater both...

Well ..lets see
      As you pointed, now you can play pretty successfully solo. If there are solo - so safe dungeons, as even if they collapsed when two players entered, nobody could guarantee these players will compete - so the open world competition and cooperation will vanish. How will you like to play solo, if all play solo? What MMO would be that? Another one WoW clone.

Every player will prefer to play solo - no social competition, no social frustration, no fear of rejection, no fear that you will make something wrong, no need to interact with people who you do not like, or you do not know, no noobs in the party. Solo is fucking awesome. But if it is easy, you will not have a MMO anymore.

Also the ZvZ is terrible. The whole GvG thing in Albion is a crap. It is 5 player PvE or PvP and 200 stay and watch like idiots in a case another 200 idiots come to fight, so just 5 to PvE.

I played open world FFA PvP games with significantly better GvG systems, wars, sieges and politics. And I think the GvG system is the main issue of Albion, the solo experince is already fine.

Also the monetization of Albion is terrible. You can buy gold and everything with money, but you do not need to. So it is actually P2W, without need of paying. There is not price range. All you buy are premiums, which you can get for free for few days. But there are not services or items for the 1$ players and 100$ players. It is like a shop which sells only one thing, that nobody needs. Premiums per time is not a price range. They should make the premiums more expensive, also to add a cash shop with services, skins, cosmetic items. It does not need to be P2W. But LoL and Fortnite show the cosmetics could make a lot of money. I doubt Albion makes any profit now. And a good revenue means - better development, better support, better servers, so it is good for the players.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ikcen ().

• @Hollywoodi , fully agree. I was telling it before and i'm telling it now. Give players stable/direct solo content (PvP/PvE) , i would not even count future solo random dungeons. Yes, they are cool and will help to improve solo gameplay, but it's not a panacea of current solo gameplay state.

Me and other experienced solo players got thousands of ideas how to make such content, but meanwhile the only viable solo (benefit side) entertainment is 2v2 HG , isn't it funny ? :D

No, no , i'm not complaining/crying or something like that . Personally me , as a player since Beta , and i can bet many other old-school players with big nuts - can find what to do in this game through the pain and suffering, the only reason why this game is still viable and why such players are still playing - is a full loot PvP . Other new players (or the most part) - will just leave this game. Cant judge ,i perfectly understand them.

Even if we take a look and the last official survey from Devs , the first thing that were people asking - was solo content. I think it is requires no further comment.
      ------------------------------------

Albion world is without a decent lore ( it is so-so , lets be honest) , environment looks artificial , like from plastic. I like animation of skills , some citys , some sounds , how armor/weapons looks like. But it is not enough to stay in this game and enjoy the gameplay.

Albion is a project without a soul (even pixel mmorpgs got it) , the only thing that save such game - is full loot PvP. So if you are denying such aspect through the years of developing , please , focus on content. In this case , on solo content.

Yours Sincerely, Equart ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Equart ().

• Equart wrote:

@Hollywoodi , fully agree. I was telling it before and i'm telling it now. Give players stable/direct solo content (PvP/PvE) , i would not even count future solo random dungeons. Yes, they are cool and will help to improve solo gameplay, but it's not a panacea of current solo gameplay state.

Me and other experienced solo players got thousands of ideas how to make such content, but meanwhile the only viable solo (benefit side) entertainment is 2v2 HG , isn't it funny ? :D

No, no , i'm not complaining/crying or something like that . Personally me , as a player since Beta , and i can bet many other old-school players with big nuts - can find what to do in this game through the pain and suffering, the only reason why this game is still viable and why such players are still playing - is a full loot PvP . Other new players (or the most part) - will just leave this game. Cant judge ,i perfectly understand them.

Even if we take a look and the last official survey from Devs , the first thing that were people asking - was solo content. I think it is requires no further comment.
      ------------------------------------

Albion world is without a decent lore ( it is so-so , lets be honest) , environment looks artificial , like from plastic. I like animation of skills , some citys , some sounds , how armor/weapons looks like. But it is not enough to stay in this game and enjoy the gameplay.

Albion is a project without a soul (even pixel mmorpgs got it) , the only thing that save such game - is full loot PvP. So if you are denying such aspect through the years of developing , please , focus on content. In this case , on solo content.

Yours Sincerely, Equart ;)
      The point of Albion is the PvP. If you replace it with solo content who will play this game? Also how this game will be different from the other games on the market?

For good solo content Albion needs quests, lore, personal story, instances, better graphics and animations. So you need entirely new game. But there are a lot of such games - WoW, ESO, GW2, BDO are the biggest now. How Albion will compete with them as a solo focused themepark game? As you cannot have solo and multiplayer in open world both. If it is solo, it is not multiplayer.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ikcen ().

• SleeperFR wrote:

Ive played this game for 2 months premium and F2P. Before you invest time and or money into this game heres my tip. Dont bother even installing unless you have 5 or 6 friends to play with this game is EXTREMELY unfriendly and unfair to solo players. Sure you can join a guild but you get taxed out of ingame funds in exchange for virtually nothing, if your really really lucky maybe the guild will let you in on a dungeon rarely. As for progression farming for materials is repetitive as expected. But to get better gear you MUST travel into PVP zones and due to only having 1 ingame server and a ridiculously high population, 90% of the time you will farm or run a group dungeon for an hour or so then travel home but your 90% of the time going to be killed by 7-8 people along the way waiting for you to end your little life and take your hard earned loots. So now youve lost everything and wasted almost 2 hours to show up in your home city with nothing. A waste right? but this is the ONLY way to progress, unless you have 6 or 7 people to help you pvp or run dungeons or help each other farm. If not then you go back to farming in non pvp zones for minimal resources with the 100+ people in that zone doing what your doing, fighting for minimal resources. As for Dungeons looking for groups takes atleast 30 minutes then the dungeon which is 40 minutes(ish), if your in a non pvp zone dungeon loot is basically useless, in pvp zones dungeon loot is slightly better but your almost guaranteed to be killed IN the dungeon by a traitor in your group or another group, if you survive this then youll most likely be killed taking your loot home, another wasted hour with nothing gained but with very much lost. But this is MY solo experience yours MIGHT differ (not sure about that though). All in all i enjoyed this game UNTIL over population in pvp zones hindered my progress rendering Albion basically pointless. My recommendation if your a solo player thinking of giving Albion a try is save your money and your time invest it into Runescape 3 or something with basically the same mechanics, more servers, no over population or pvp only progression zones, youll accomplish muuch more in Runescape or elsewhere lol. I might give Albion another try if there were more servers but for now completely unplayable from a solo player stand point. :thumbdown: [spoiler][/spoiler]
      Completely clueless.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • @Ikcen You are reading but not analyzing, try to reverse current gameplay state through the prism of other players and other currently active mmorpgs.

Lets start.

Ikcen wrote:

The point of Albion is the PvP. If you replace it with solo content who will play this game?

Yes , Albion is about PvP and allot of Grind PvE aspect (but we will perceived it only as a tool for achieving a goal, and as random PvP trigger) . I did not told that you need to replace . Content should be balanced and equal , between solo/small/zerg fights . Both PvP and PvE.

Do you want to build a strong house that will stay for years ? Make sure , that every brick you use will not break.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikcen wrote:

For good solo content Albion needs quests, lore, personal story, instances, better graphics and animations. So you need entirely new game.
      Nah, it is not a content for such game . It is delightful new addition , to make this game more "lively" , nothing more. First of all - Albion is a full loot PvP , with MOBA combat system , with advanced unique drop system , with perfect trade market . That's why people love it , that's why people play it. Lack of things that you listed above is frustrating , but not critical. In my post higher, i was talking that we got none of such things higher and no balance between content.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikcen wrote:

But there are a lot of such games - WoW, ESO, GW2, BDO are the biggest now. How Albion will compete with them as a solo focused themepark game? As you cannot have solo and multiplayer in open world both. If it is solo, it is not multiplayer.
      A priori , you cant compare such games with Albion , don't ever do that. Lets imagine that your thoughts about my position/feedback is not your misunderstanding. Even in such case it is nonsense. Combat system , global economy , game play , PvP rules etc.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People creating threads like this , about solo content , very frequently. And this question you @Ikcen or other people ask ,and much more deeper (constructive) problems - are already discussed hundreds of times. I gave you my feedback, as an old school MMO player (Since 2000 i tried almost any existed mmorpg) , who played Albion since beta till today(solo, small scale PvP focused player) and as a "hardcore" Dota player.
      Main problem , is that new players that are complaining about solo gameplay don't even know real problems. They don't see the big picture. They are partially right , but due to the lack of experience they can't express real problems. So don't be mad.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Evas_Flarelight: Edited out Qolkkalom's quote. ().

• I didnt considet myself as mad (maybe sometimes, but a little bit).
      However You cant be "partially right". You are right or not. Maybe in thier point of view they are (because of lack of thier knownladge, and because of that they cant see in big picture), but it end up on thier own, limited perspective.

Well, btw if I did sounded as mad (even a little bit) then sorry xD
    • Naaah it is ok , everyone goes crazy on this forum :D For example , i become so toxic since i join Albion community :whistling:

But now , i don't feel anything when read such threads. I revised my attitude. Now the only thing that pissing me off - is Devs. treatment.

Got no desire to type any suggestions/feedbacks/bug reports etc. If you are interested in more and detailed information - check my Youtube, soon ill create Video with Eng. Subs (got too much work in RL) , screenshots and allot of spicy facts. Can't type here about it , it will be instantly deleted. ;(
    • Equart wrote:

@Ikcen You are reading but not analyzing, try to reverse current gameplay state through the prism of other players and other currently active mmorpgs.

Lets start.

Ikcen wrote:

The point of Albion is the PvP. If you replace it with solo content who will play this game?
      Yes , Albion is about PvP and allot of Grind PvE aspect (but we will perceived it only as a tool for achieving a goal, and as random PvP trigger) . I did not told that you need to replace . Content should be balanced and equal , between solo/small/zerg fights . Both PvP and PvE.

Do you want to build a strong house that will stay for years ? Make sure , that every brick you use will not break.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikcen wrote:

For good solo content Albion needs quests, lore, personal story, instances, better graphics and animations. So you need entirely new game.
      Nah, it is not a content for such game . It is delightful new addition , to make this game more "lively" , nothing more. First of all - Albion is a full loot PvP , with MOBA combat system , with advanced unique drop system , with perfect trade market . That's why people love it , that's why people play it. Lack of things that you listed above is frustrating , but not critical. In my post higher, i was talking that we got none of such things higher and no balance between content.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikcen wrote:

But there are a lot of such games - WoW, ESO, GW2, BDO are the biggest now. How Albion will compete with them as a solo focused themepark game? As you cannot have solo and multiplayer in open world both. If it is solo, it is not multiplayer.
      A priori , you cant compare such games with Albion , don't ever do that. Lets imagine that your thoughts about my position/feedback is not your misunderstanding. Even in such case it is nonsense. Combat system , global economy , game play , PvP rules etc.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      You cannot have equal solo content in a multiplayer open world game. To make something exclusively solo you need to change the rules, so to make an instance, so the game will not be open world anymore. And as solo is always easier and more appealing way for solo character experience (fame, gear, and etc. - the ways you rise your character), most players will always prefer the solo content, so the solo content will make the multiplayer content pointless. The only way to have some solo content in a game like Albion is to nerf it. But then this solo content will be pointless and the self proclaimed solo players will ask for more rewards. Which we see here. Also the lack of solo content does not mean you cannot play solo. It means you have to be a good player to play solo successfully.
    • Ikcen wrote:

Also the lack of solo content does not mean you cannot play solo. It means you have to be a good player to play solo successfully.
      True and i'm not arguing , but such efforts spurned casual players from the game , which is wrong in my opinion. It should be a bit harder and skill based , but when the difference is 1x50 - it is not okay.
      -----------------------------------------------------------

Ikcen wrote:

You cannot have equal solo content in a multiplayer open world game. To make something exclusively solo you need to change the rules, so to make an instance, so the game will not be open world anymore.
      You can do that ,even without changing rules and creating an instances (even if we take into account new incoming solo random dungeons). It is more about imaginations and goals. Yes, it is hard , but real to implement such (possible) feature (s) into the game.

This , Previous and Future threads like this , instead of crying , should include this question - What will you add/change in the game to improve solo content? With detailed ideas , consequences etc.

And as for me - i'm done with giving advises and feedback. I'm just making conversation , because i saw enough and i got no desire to help Devs. I got no doubt , they will be fine . And i sincerely wish them good luck , but without me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Equart ().

• no need for solo content, a complete game revision is ridiculous at this point. If you flag for pvp you attack others who are flagged for pvp. But you flag for pvp and kill others who aren't flagged for pvp, like what?? Doesn't make sense to me. If no one ever flags for pvp what then lol? Flagged pvp vs flagged pvp, along with an honor system for gear and cosmetics maybe even honor in exchange for premium bonuses or buffs or materials, an incentive to flag. If forced pvp is what this game is going to be about it will lose the community of PvE players, PvE could grow into RP which i think would be really cool for Albion, think about it. This games lets you CHOOSE your path right? So whats the deal? Its not a choice if its forced.
    • Equart wrote:

Ikcen wrote:

A priori , you cant compare such games with Albion , don't ever do that. Lets imagine that your thoughts about my position/feedback is not your misunderstanding. Even in such case it is nonsense. Combat system , global economy , game play , PvP rules etc.
      I don't think he is trying to compare Albion to those games. What he is doing is pointing out that those games have a stronger focus on the solo player experience - which I would agree is completely true. I played all of those games (WoW in Cata, no raiding - minimal exp in ESO - lots of the others) and never once in any of them did I feel like I NEEDED to party up. I partied up for the sake of the fun of it, usually though only with my family and friends - or if I was going to complete specifically group designed content.

Albion on the other hand, does not explicitly cater to solo players. However, as the OP is trying to declare that the game is not at all for soloists remains false - I'll cite solo dungeons, treasure hunting, bzone/rzone solo ganking, gathering, and trading as a few of the profitable solo experiences in the game.

Full loot PvP doesn't make a game un-soloable, it just means that you should either get good at running away, get good at defending yourself, or get a group. Not the fault of the PKer that they are better at catching you than you are at evading them.
      I probably don't really care. Yeah no, not even about that. Nope. Juuust move along.