Another update on ongoing Latency Issues

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Vadokishi wrote:

      Shevarage wrote:

      Move the damn servers to the moon. This way everyone's gonna be on the same foot. :)
      Although it sounds like a fair solution, distance to the Moon as it closest distance is 363105 km (~225623 miles) and 405696,3 km (~252088) as its farthest point.
      Considering our current technology, and speed of light sitting at 300000 km/s (~186000 miles/s) would suggest our latency would be at best 2420ms and as its worst 2700ms, certainly an issue, unless we move the Moon closer..., which might prove to require a considerable effort and have it crashing on our planet in the process.

      Think will leave with servers on any location within this rock we're riding now.
      You both are savage! xD

      Korn wrote:

      Aesop wrote:

      Is this good news? You've been working with your provider all this time, but neither of you realized you weren't under ddos attack? And after figuring it out, your best solution is to scrap everything and go someplace else? Did you not investigate your partners first? This isn't some bbs we donate to, who the hell is leading over there and why are they so unfamiliar with the internet and games and games on the internet? All subs should be gifted free premium until a solution is found and acted upon, and all premium spent during this time should be refunded, just as a start to correcting this.
      Maybe we did not explain this well.
      Of course, everybody has been aware that DDOS was happening.

      In simple terms, our servers sit inside a huge data center run by a universally known global tech company. Normally, when a game is being DDOSed, the attack is target at that game's servers. In our case, these are properly protected, we learned our lessons here from the past.

      However, the attacks in the past 9 days have been on the datacenter provider directly.

      We assumed that - due to our provider being one of the largest, most reputable tech companies in the world - would be adequately protected against this. That, however, was not the case. While they do have defenses in place, they caused the massive lags and disconnects. This would affect various customers in that datacenter, in our case, it's especially bad as we run an always online game as opposed to, say, just a website.

      We had assumed that the data center attack was indirectly related to us as there had been an attack on us directly 1 day prior - i.e. that an attacker decided to go for the data center itself after noticing that our own defenses were working as well as they did. However, at the same time, we did not receive any sort of extortion attempts.

      Very recently, we have been told by the data center provider that we are not the intended target - another company in the same data center is, and we were getting affected alongside all other customers in that data center.
      So, @Korn - could You tell me, if server was well defended (for AO, as it been said), why to consider changing provider, who have good reputation? I mean, if they have that reputation and are able to protect fromm ddos own customers (including SBI) maybe this provider in case when take it as a lesson, will focus more on protecting themself better, so eg Albion will have "2layers of protection".
      Because its seems like that, our safety is diractly based on thier protection too, right?

      I dont know what is our current situation about server stability, as I dont suffer more then usual from lag spikes. Sometimes Ive, but only on wifi I suffer same way as majority on this forum trying to discribe thier experience. But maybe im not suffering directly, but because others have bad times, it could in some way inflict my enjoyment.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Qolkkalom ().

    • Forneus wrote:

      Still considering how many Brazil players joined when they launched f2p. I very much suspect that they arn't the paying customers.
      Zooming out from the second biggest population in the American continent, it's not that Latin America is the target, it's just a bonus, according to this article (newzoo.com/insights/articles/g…8-mobile-games-take-half/) it represents only $5 billion against the $28.7 billion from Europe, Middle-East & Africa region, at that point would be a no-brainer to pick the latter..., but then you have North America with $32.7 billions, so it's clear you would prioritize $37.7 over $28.7 billions.

      On top of that, these regions are growing more year on year than EMEA region, so that's a better prospect from the get go.
      Only Asia-Pacific dwarfs them with $71.4 billions AND a also a bigger growth sitting at 16.8% year on year, which I assume would be a natural option to have separated, due to size of course.
    • Vadokishi wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      Still considering how many Brazil players joined when they launched f2p. I very much suspect that they arn't the paying customers.
      Zooming out from the second biggest population in the American continent, it's not that Latin America is the target, it's just a bonus, according to this article (newzoo.com/insights/articles/g…8-mobile-games-take-half/) it represents only $5 billion against the $28.7 billion from Europe, Middle-East & Africa region, at that point would be a no-brainer to pick the latter..., but then you have North America with $32.7 billions, so it's clear you would prioritize $37.7 over $28.7 billions.
      On top of that, these regions are growing more year on year than EMEA region, so that's a better prospect from the get go.
      Only Asia-Pacific dwarfs them with $71.4 billions AND a also a bigger growth sitting at 16.8% year on year, which I assume would be a natural option to have separated, due to size of course.
      Nice article!

      Lets say Albion Online is a mobile game(i don't really think so) but then SA is by far the least interesting place in terms of customers and I consider my stance regarding SA to be correct. It would make more sense to place the servers in eastern Europe somewhere to achieve parity between china and europe in terms of ping which would mean you could target 49% of the market. Instead of just 27%. So SA +NA combo is by far the worst IMO. Anything+SA is bad basically, as it's dwarfed by all the other ones.


      According to this: wondernetwork.com/pings


      Shanghai has a 250+ Ping to Washington. Whereas the ping to Western Europe is 200. So placing servers in far eastern Europe(Ideally servers should be placed in an EU country in terms of consumer rights/data security etc.) This could reduce that ping drastically to maybe 100+- for the chinese and the ping would be the same for western Europe as it is now 100+-. Making it the strongest market combination. If we're talking pure business. Again though I'm confident that most of the paying customer base is NA & European. I'm seeing more and more Chinese players though, so who knows how it will be down the road.

      The growth of SA is hardly interesting mind you. The growth in SA is quite small(675million), EMEA(2.52 Billion), NA(3.27 Billion). The growth of Asia/Pacific on the other hand is massive, 11.99 Billion. That's absolutely crazy :)

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Forneus ().

    • Forneus wrote:

      Holoin wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      Holoin wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      GumChopper wrote:

      If earth was flat it would make sense to move the servers to EU. :D
      The EU has superior internet infrastructure compared to any other market, also better data protection laws etc. It is the superior choice by far.
      Superior or not, EU is too far from a continent with a huge player base: South America.
      There are probably just as many if not more european players, so that's a bad argument. Judging from the gear Russians and EU West players bring out, they are probably also the paying customers along with the NA players. SA just hitching a free ride.Let's not forget the chinese either. They are out there banging in crazy gear aswell, and they definitely have a better or likely equivalent ping to the EU.
      Lol not really...you really have no idea how many south american player there are.Russia is barely going to see any difference in ping due to.servers probabily being in west Europe and Oceania would barely get a difference, just a little bit and not enough to become visible.

      Right now south americans have about 150+ ping, similar to Europe. If servers move to Europe, they will get about 300+...that would make the game unplayable for a population of players as big as Europe. Yes, south america alone as as many players as Europe.Maybe Brazil alone has about half as many players as Europe, and thats just only one country.
      Still considering how many Brazil players joined when they launched f2p. I very much suspect that they arn't the paying customers.
      I'm not brazilean, but that level of discrimination won't take you ver far on life. Brazileas are on a rising economy, actually hosting most of the games online in the entire SA, so you shouldn't talk shit about them if you know nothing about what's happening outside your mommys bubble.
      Gamer since 2000, Country champion on Quake Arena, Unreal Tournament. Community manager of Pitbull$ Gaming, ClanCO.
    • After many days of issues, it's been solid and stable for the past 48 hours. And even while under attack, it was only really 15% of the time that issues arose. I appreciate the effort that has gone into keeping this functioning as well as possible. I'm in Europe, don't care if you move your servers. I never had latency issues, the issues were caused by large swings in ping (From 90 to 390, back to 199 and then logged out at 365 or so). So if the new host can deliver me even ping, I don't care much about the number. Right now I get a blessed ~95. If it goes to ~130 but sticks to 130, it's all good!

      On the compensation thing, I would of course welcome it because it has caused a bit of a mess, but I don't expect it. It's like a discount on a dented soda can. Sure, some compensation would be nice but seeing how the soda is still fine, I see no reasonable claim for being entitled to compensation. Same with the game. It's not broken, just a bit dented, and it didn't brick my rig, so I'm good.

      Looking forward to when this is fixed and y'all can just take an evening off with a stiff drink. All the best!
    • BrowserX wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      Holoin wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      Holoin wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      GumChopper wrote:

      If earth was flat it would make sense to move the servers to EU. :D
      The EU has superior internet infrastructure compared to any other market, also better data protection laws etc. It is the superior choice by far.
      Superior or not, EU is too far from a continent with a huge player base: South America.
      There are probably just as many if not more european players, so that's a bad argument. Judging from the gear Russians and EU West players bring out, they are probably also the paying customers along with the NA players. SA just hitching a free ride.Let's not forget the chinese either. They are out there banging in crazy gear aswell, and they definitely have a better or likely equivalent ping to the EU.
      Lol not really...you really have no idea how many south american player there are.Russia is barely going to see any difference in ping due to.servers probabily being in west Europe and Oceania would barely get a difference, just a little bit and not enough to become visible.
      Right now south americans have about 150+ ping, similar to Europe. If servers move to Europe, they will get about 300+...that would make the game unplayable for a population of players as big as Europe. Yes, south america alone as as many players as Europe.Maybe Brazil alone has about half as many players as Europe, and thats just only one country.
      Still considering how many Brazil players joined when they launched f2p. I very much suspect that they arn't the paying customers.
      I'm not brazilean, but that level of discrimination won't take you ver far on life. Brazileas are on a rising economy, actually hosting most of the games online in the entire SA, so you shouldn't talk shit about them if you know nothing about what's happening outside your mommys bubble.
      I'm not talking shit about brazillians. Facts is not talking shit. Stay ignorant and grow up. Money rules the world, not sentiment, in terms of money Brazil is not interesting. Everyone has been talking about Brazil economy booming along with India and Russia & China for 15+years. So far only china proved a worthy contender on the world stage, whether you like it or not won't matter. It is what it is.
    • MegaEdu13 wrote:

      BlackKnight90 wrote:

      No lags and dcs today, very good job!
      Same here.
      Came back to check it after days off and feels better. Although, my Ping is shown as 200+, I don't feel it in game, I must say. Intriguing.
      Just as an update, the "trick" was working great, but I had two new disconnects today. And, on a lag picke, I almost got killed by a mob on roll backs, got dismount, but made it alive.

      Well, there still lots of works to do.
    • Forneus wrote:

      Nice article!
      Lets say Albion Online is a mobile game(i don't really think so) but then SA is by far the least interesting place in terms of customers and I consider my stance regarding SA to be correct. It would make more sense to place the servers in eastern Europe somewhere to achieve parity between china and europe in terms of ping which would mean you could target 49% of the market. Instead of just 27%. So SA +NA combo is by far the worst IMO. Anything+SA is bad basically, as it's dwarfed by all the other ones.


      According to this: wondernetwork.com/pings


      Shanghai has a 250+ Ping to Washington. Whereas the ping to Western Europe is 200. So placing servers in far eastern Europe(Ideally servers should be placed in an EU country in terms of consumer rights/data security etc.) This could reduce that ping drastically to maybe 100+- for the chinese and the ping would be the same for western Europe as it is now 100+-. Making it the strongest market combination. If we're talking pure business. Again though I'm confident that most of the paying customer base is NA & European. I'm seeing more and more Chinese players though, so who knows how it will be down the road.

      The growth of SA is hardly interesting mind you. The growth in SA is quite small(675million), EMEA(2.52 Billion), NA(3.27 Billion). The growth of Asia/Pacific on the other hand is massive, 11.99 Billion. That's absolutely crazy :)
      It is an interesting article indeed, and doesn't cover only mobile, also reports on PC gaming.
      I actually agree with something you said, South America (wrote Latin America on my previous response to match the article region names) it's not a big market to invest on. Not only SBI, but other companies such as Sony and Nintendo have been notorious for ignoring players on those regions, focusing mainly and sometimes only on USA.

      My argument is South America becomes a (small) side revenue stream if you aim to North America, actually, United States, which encompasses $30.4 billion alone, and combined become even a slighter better proposition.

      About merging EMEA and Asia-Pacific wouldn't think it's feasible, due to how tight are market regulations in Asian countries.
      A good example if what World of Warcraft had to do to land on China, changing game skins, and business models from subscriptions to paying by hour as they normally do over there.

      Something I missed to relate before, it's the ranking of most spending regions on mobile games led by China, USA and Japan - which Albion's business model would fall into, due you can buy premium and ingame currency -, which means they are catering to the biggest Western market and the fact that Latin America gets a better ping for servers sitting in Washington DC it's just a byproduct, that makes the proposition (slighter) more attractive, but again it's definitely not the main reason.

      TL;DR: in my opinion they aren't avoiding Europe hosting to keep South America player base, they aren't cause they rather prioritize USA player base and its potential revenue.
    • Dalhadir wrote:

      After many days of issues, it's been solid and stable for the past 48 hours. And even while under attack, it was only really 15% of the time that issues arose. I appreciate the effort that has gone into keeping this functioning as well as possible. I'm in Europe, don't care if you move your servers. I never had latency issues, the issues were caused by large swings in ping (From 90 to 390, back to 199 and then logged out at 365 or so). So if the new host can deliver me even ping, I don't care much about the number. Right now I get a blessed ~95. If it goes to ~130 but sticks to 130, it's all good!

      On the compensation thing, I would of course welcome it because it has caused a bit of a mess, but I don't expect it. It's like a discount on a dented soda can. Sure, some compensation would be nice but seeing how the soda is still fine, I see no reasonable claim for being entitled to compensation. Same with the game. It's not broken, just a bit dented, and it didn't brick my rig, so I'm good.

      Looking forward to when this is fixed and y'all can just take an evening off with a stiff drink. All the best!
      Well said sir.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Perchta wrote:

      Forneus wrote:

      Perchta wrote:

      Maybe I'm just lucky... yet I don't quite understand the complaints of "move the server to <wherever>. Consistently I have a ping around 18ms from Europe with an occasional spike - but not so since the lag issues seem to be solved. So anyone from Europe who has a higher ping supposedly has a bad carrier ;)
      Only way you get that ping from Europe is if you're playing on an enterprise line that has reserved broadband on the transatlantic cables. Those don't come cheap and are intended for big business' where latency is important. Say financial institutions where they do trading etc So i do believe you could have such a ping, but it's not normal and has nothing do with a bad ISP as you propose. Carrier is celluar network btw. So I'm gonna say you're full of shit/trolling anyway :D
      I'm playing from home on a normal consumer contract with one of the usual internet providers - and it's not even an expensive contract, roughly monthly 35€ for all telecomunication covering mobile, landline and internet
      Bullshit
      *In Por Ylem* - *An Ex Por* - *Ort Rel* - *Ort Rel* - *Ort Rel* - *In Sanct Ylem* - *In Sanct Ylem* - *In Flam Grav*