Vanity & Customization

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bogul wrote:

So you will create finite items that will be worth billions of silver?

With essentially - a year from now shooting yourself in the face, because new and casual players can never acquire these - generating silent resentment aka "I can never catch up" in the meantime?
      EVE Online skin system (a direct clone that Albion is doing, yet again) - would beg to differ
    • Just decided to go over the trade channel histories on different community discord servers. There is a pick up in "WTB any recruiter mounts" posts over the last couple weeks and not specific ones like it used to be, but basically any recruiter mount. If you have the different discords go check yourself.

Most likely a leak even happened. What a clown fiesta.
    • Ravenar wrote:

I realised that it seems to be the collectors that truly care about the health of the game. It is obvious when you think about it. The collection is only valuable if there are enough people who will want the things that they have.

This feature, if implemented the way it is now laid out, might end up hurting the game population. (as explained in posts above) Pre-F2P mounts are valuable enough already. Stop with this foolishness!

Easy Fix: Do not make the switch from mount -> "skin item" automatic. Instead you need to purchase a "skin item" at vanity store and the mount works as an ingredient. (+ gold price)

edit: Preferably a Pre-F2P skin should also be possible to convert back to mount. Just because, most of them are rare enough already (+other reasons).

Simple, elegant working solution.
      So only the people that hoard mounts truly care about the health of the game? Caring about the game is different than caring about your own financial gains and thats exactly what is going on here.

These "collectors" want to hold onto items that will be big value later on down the road. That's fine, nothing in this patch prevents you from doing so in fact it might even make it easier.

What this patch does however is if you have the item/mount and you want to keep it forever (likely a new players point of view) you can use it and never have to worry about buying that mount from people like the ones complaining here again, who will hike up the price and hold onto it and wait for the top bidder. It will force them to actually part with something potentially permanently so their guilds or alliances cant go and gank you for it and take back what they just sold you.

The big alliances dont have to spend money on gold, they have billions because they exploit things like this. They hold onto items people want and force others to spend money on gold to buy one item (mostly newer players or players who are "collectors" like them.)

Gimbo wrote:

Ravenar wrote:

Gimbo wrote:

@Ravenar I'm a curious man, and I was wondering... how much would it take for you to part with such a magnificent specimen?That being if you were to even consider letting such beauty slip from beneath your thighs.
      Honestly, I have no idea. I hope the devs will reconsider and rollback this planned feature. So lets say there is 99.9% chance that year from now it will be worth at least the same as Ghostwolf was yesterday... Well, up to sky is the limit because of the lack of silver sinks and continued collection of wealth at the top...I might consider something starting with 200 million and up... Knowing there is a 0.01% chance that the devs come to their senses... (edit: I have to check the latest prices first)

Most likely I will just sit on them and see in a year if the game is still alive. Sell a mount and buy tomes of insight to max up a build... :D
      well if down the line you consider selling it hit me up and I'll take out a bank loan to buy some in-game gold haha. But seriously would for sure be interested in buying down the road if you decide to sell.

And they still believe ^ this is healthy for the game? even as a passing joke this is ridiculous. With this patch they have to choose to hold onto it, or potentially lose it permanently because someone actually wants to enjoy the mount vs use it as a means to have money down the road and not support the game financially.

Population wise Ive come across numerous players, and there are a number of youtubers who have played the game and left because something they worked hard for was taken from them, doing something so easy as exploring the red zone for the first time. I get it, its the name of the game, and that will all still be possible. However, what you gain with this patch is people actually being comfortable with losing their mounts and entering into more full-loot zones because they can just put the look back on and jump right back in.

When you enter the black zone, this feature is turned off, they stated this. (uncertain about red zones) and the feature is toggled. in every game you play you lose the ability to trade the item the moment you use it's skin. That feature is across the board.

I really dont see this as an issue to people other than the ones who don't invest in the company because they have billions or a big alliance that pays their way.
    • @Jaylightsol you might miss one important point...

I own one ghostwolf. Just before F2P I bought second one for 110 million. Sold it for 150 million. Just before this announcement it was worth 250 million. Today. You probably cannot buy it anywhere. After Percival we will probably see 500 million and up to 1000 million after a while.

Ok, you can buy this, consume it. There was a rumored 50 ghostwolves in the game. Now there are 49. Woosh... price went up another 100 million.

Who wants to consume a ghostwolf and use it as a skin? Only the ultra rich sponsored by zerg alliances.

It is pointless to argue about this. It is up to the devs what they want to achieve with this update.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • @Jaylightsol

what you say is very good and very nice, but they are characteristics of other games. This is (was) Albion Online, if you went out with a ghost wolf or rageclaw, you risk losing more than 100kk.

There are many more casual games and less traumatic when you die in the market, with better mounts, graphics and designs.

I think AO is moving step by step away from what a special game does, if the concerns of the developers is that a player wears a valuable mount without actually taking it
    • Forneus wrote:

Just decided to go over the trade channel histories on different community discord servers. There is a pick up in "WTB any recruiter mounts" posts over the last couple weeks and not specific ones like it used to be, but basically any recruiter mount. If you have the different discords go check yourself.

Maybe that uptick is just from F2P players or returning players because the game is alive again?

If there really was a leak, we would've seen the mount prices spike on AH.
      IGN:Ohelig
      Discord: Ohelig#0001
    • Ohelig wrote:

Forneus wrote:

Just decided to go over the trade channel histories on different community discord servers. There is a pick up in "WTB any recruiter mounts" posts over the last couple weeks and not specific ones like it used to be, but basically any recruiter mount. If you have the different discords go check yourself.

Maybe that uptick is just from F2P players or returning players because the game is alive again?
      If there really was a leak, we would've seen the mount prices spike on AH.
      Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I just find it interesting. I realize correlation != causation.

Just a curious thing that certain ppl. started buying any type of recruiter mount, not a specific one. No one says a potential leak was fully fleshed out, maybe just a vague hint that something was going to happen there. Also size of leak would matter to influence prices. Albions economy is quite large, also for the rare items.
    • Lets say a character hits an incredible level of progress - for example all weapons / armors 400/400 ; all crafting 400/400 ; 5b total fame ; 1000 participated GvG fights ; 1000 arena wins ; 500.000 killed players in pvp ; 500m gathering fame etc.

.. once you hit any of these milestones - you get to pick any in-game item, that ever existet, that a GM will create for you as a reward. (one item per milestone too much?)

With the intention of course that people will either chose the most valueable item or one that they are missing for their "collection". (arena tournament mount / avatar borders)

This will make old and unobtainable items possible and sort of put a hard cap on speculative item value.

If you are worried that it could devalue certain reward items, that are intended to be special for a purpose (arena tournament winners) - you can put them on a delayed availablilty ; for example only items that have been in the game for at least 6 months can be created this way.

It also acts as a sort of massive long-term goal for people who have everything.

Opinions?
    • Jaylightsol wrote:

1) if you want to sell the ghostwolf then sell it, if you want the skin, then consume it. All games do this for their wardrobe since the items become soulbound or untradable.
      The issue is that SBI is taking away one of my options which is I want to use it for now and maybe one day sell it. I may not ever take my Ghostwolf outside of Caerleon, but I do enjoy riding it around, using it in scrims, etc. Once this changes goes into effect, I have to either decide to use it, or save it (which renders it unusable) or sell it.

Jaylightsol wrote:

3) i am not sure i understand this one, but are you saying that you would want to keep the effects? like the hightened speed and such just based on the skins? that wouldnt be even remotely fair if that was the case.
      In my example, standard swiftclaw has 125% move speed 680ish HP and no armor. The arena armored swiftclaw has the same move speed and HP, but also 100 armor. It's actually a useful mount for transporting valuable items because it is fast and durable. But if it no longer exists as it's own mount, and is instead converted into just a cosmetic skin I can no longer use it for transporting. This is lowering the diversity of items in the game and making it worse.

Jaylightsol wrote:

4) Black zones this feature is removed. So you wont have that issue, not sure about red zones, but still, with the sheer amount of 10v1s that happen cant really say that the pvp full loot is that exciting.
      If no one is going to have it active in black zones, then what's the point???

Jaylightsol wrote:

5) You have an plethora of skins to choose from, rare or not. What some forget is that some of these mounts are very expensive and very rare, why you cant enjoy running around with it as often as you like without the threat of losing it is beyong me, the nature of the game is full loot. but are we really going to suggest people shouldnt at least have the option of keeping the look?
      I just think the existing rare mounts should stay the way they are. Or we should be given the option whether or not to keep them as mounts or convert them to skins. Again to my first point, I want to use my rare mounts, and maybe I even want to risk taking them into the black zone. That's my choice. I also want to have the choice to sell them if I want to, or continue to use them. IMO, any situation in a sandbox game where we're being given less choice is the wrong game design.
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254

• Bogul wrote:

Lets say a character hits an incredible level of progress - for example all weapons / armors 400/400 ; all crafting 400/400 ; 5b total fame ; 1000 participated GvG fights ; 1000 arena wins ; 500.000 killed players in pvp ; 500m gathering fame etc.

.. once you hit any of these milestones - you get to pick any in-game item, that ever existet, that a GM will create for you as a reward. (one item per milestone too much?)

With the intention of course that people will either chose the most valueable item or one that they are missing for their "collection". (arena tournament mount / avatar borders)

This will make old and unobtainable items possible and sort of put a hard cap on speculative item value.

If you are worried that it could devalue certain reward items, that are intended to be special for a purpose (arena tournament winners) - you can put them on a delayed availablilty ; for example only items that have been in the game for at least 6 months can be created this way.

It also acts as a sort of massive long-term goal for people who have everything.

Opinions?
      I think these milestones should have their own unique rewards. The worst thing for a collector is to have an item that is rare, and no longer obtainable, to suddenly become obtainable, even if the barriers to obtaining it are very high.
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254

• Grimhawke-EB wrote:

Bogul wrote:

Lets say a character hits an incredible level of progress - for example all weapons / armors 400/400 ; all crafting 400/400 ; 5b total fame ; 1000 participated GvG fights ; 1000 arena wins ; 500.000 killed players in pvp ; 500m gathering fame etc.

Opinions?
      I think these milestones should have their own unique rewards. The worst thing for a collector is to have an item that is rare, and no longer obtainable, to suddenly become obtainable, even if the barriers to obtaining it are very high.
      I think the game should not have any unobtainable items at all.
    • What I loved about this game, and why I have been playing it for over 3 years now, was that everything in the game could be crafted, looted, stolen and traded. This has been slowly eroded from the game to the point that it is no longer the game I fell in love with while it was still in beta. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. It reminds me a little of how I felt when Ultima Online added Trammel.

I enjoyed running my ghostwolf through the underway to Lymhurst, or Caerleon to Sterling, just to make my asshole pucker. Hell, I rode it through the BZ a couple times even. Now I wont even be able to equip it anymore. Basically, someone who has their vanity settings set to off will never even know I have a ghostwolf, master's giant stag or any of the assorted other now crap items I have collected over the years, and I have no way of rubbing in their face that I am better than them because I can't equip the item and force them to see it.

Anyhow, I think it's about time for me to take an extended break. I haven't had one since release. I really hope all of this just gets reconsidered, there was a bunch of content in the future roadmap I was looking forward to, but I wont be playing if items continue to become ever more character bound, untradeable, unequipeable, and unobtainable.
      In Game Names: Dekuyper & Buttershots
      Discord: Buttershots#5994
      Email: ediblegg@gmail.com
    • SBI,

I feel like most of us understand that since going free to play, you guys need a source of income. I can only speak for myself here, but I think others feel the same when I say that I fully support adding a cosmetic aspect into the game where you can unlock skins for gold. However, the way you guys are implementing the change with the current mounts is a mistake.

One of the biggest draws to Albion is its economy. Most people who play this game play for either the open world PvP or the economy. In real economies, which Albion is attempting to emulate, items don't spontaneously change. You don't go down to Costco and buy a Snickers bar, then find out an hour later that the Snickers bar has transformed into a bar of gold. By tampering with the economy here, you are affecting people's sense of security in the free market. This is a turn off for the economically driven players, and that is why you are seeing many posts of concern on this thread from them, even though they are benefiting. People who have spent 200M on a Ghostwolf don't want to see the item they spent so much on magically change into another item. It doesn't set good precedent.

This has been mentioned already, but a solution might be to allow players to make the choice if they'd like to consume the mount to turn it into into a skin instead of making that choice for them. This may not be the best option though, and I'm sure someone with more time could come up with a better one.

This is coming from someone with 50+ of the effected mounts. As always, thank you for all of your hard work.
    • There was an event some time in the past. Items were added to game and a few collectors like me saw a potential value in keeping few. In the next update these 3 items were completely removed from the game. I believe back then dev apologized and assured this would not happen again.

It is not exactly same issue. But we, the collectors have mounts. We can take them on a ride on our islands or safe zones. After planned update these mounts are effectively removed from the game. You cannot ride them anymore. You have to consume them to ever see them again.

It is much worse and should not happen in a mmorpg game.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • I've never felt so compelled to write on this forum as I do now. I've been a member of this game since February 4, 2015 which is back before even the first alpha. Yes, I supported you before this game even got off the ground and was a concept. As Ravenar said above, I too collected the Old Ring, Leftovers of a Pie, and Grocery Bags and paid other players millions for these items only to have them taken away in one fell swoop with no compensation for the millions lost. I felt like quitting that day but stuck around as you promised something like that would never happen again. I've supported every update to the game as of this moment, but now I feel compelled to speak out.

I say this as a collector and as someone who has just about every collectible item other than T6 fawn, ghost wolf pup, and arena mount. This update regarding mounts will be a colossal mistake. As others have noted, by turning these items into consumables, you will destroy the markets for these items. They will become extremely rare overnight as tons are consumed. Some have argued that riding a skinned mount is the same. No, it's not. I can ride or sell all my mounts as of this moment. If turned to consumables, now I have to choose whether to ride with or sell my skin. This is not what was promised to me when I worked for, earned, or recruited people when I obtained these items. I did not earn skins, I earned the mounts to ride or sell as I choose. If turned to consumables, new players will never ride these mounts as supplies diminish over time. Old players like me will now have to choose whether to ride or sell a ghost wolf. Plus if players can toggle skins off then why the h**l did I pay a ton for a ghost wolf to start with?

If you want to implement skins for characters, I'm all for that. I'd even be tickled pink to change to a different race like you guys teased in the first alpha. I would gladly pay gold to be an elf. If you want to implement skins for mounts, that's fine too. Create new skins and don't implement old items. I think the line should be drawn at founder, recruiter, guild reward, arena master, and adventurers challenge items.

Some players have noted that collectors should be happy as their hordes of items will be worth a fortune with this update. I personally will not be happy at all. Mortified describes how I will feel. This won't affect just the new guys, but old ones as well. New recruiter "skins" will shoot up astronomically as they are consumed. I love collecting and can barely keep up with the market as is. Collecting is the biggest reason why I play this game. I love to introduce the new guys to collecting and helping them get started with their own hordes. If you ruin this for the new guys and force me to pay astronomical prices for "collectible" consumable skins, I'm sorry but I'm done with this game. It pains me to say that as I've supported you guys since the beginning. If you implement this update as planned, I will not support you through membership or gold anymore as I will stop playing. Please don't kill the one reason why I play this game. I beg you just this one time, change your minds.
      Alpha and Beta Tester, Legendary Founder and Starter, Recruiter
    • Zorva wrote:

I've never felt so compelled to write on this forum as I do now. I've been a member of this game since February 4, 2015 which is back before even the first alpha. Yes, I supported you before this game even got off the ground and was a concept. As Ravenar said above, I too collected the Old Ring, Leftovers of a Pie, and Grocery Bags and paid other players millions for these items only to have them taken away in one fell swoop with no compensation for the millions lost. I felt like quitting that day but stuck around as you promised something like that would never happen again. I've supported every update to the game as of this moment, but now I feel compelled to speak out.

I say this as a collector and as someone who has just about every collectible item other than T6 fawn, ghost wolf pup, and arena mount. This update regarding mounts will be a colossal mistake. As others have noted, by turning these items into consumables, you will destroy the markets for these items. They will become extremely rare overnight as tons are consumed. Some have argued that riding a skinned mount is the same. No, it's not. I can ride or sell all my mounts as of this moment. If turned to consumables, now I have to choose whether to ride with or sell my skin. This is not what was promised to me when I worked for, earned, or recruited people when I obtained these items. I did not earn skins, I earned the mounts to ride or sell as I choose. If turned to consumables, new players will never ride these mounts as supplies diminish over time. Old players like me will now have to choose whether to ride or sell a ghost wolf. Plus if players can toggle skins off then why the h**l did I pay a ton for a ghost wolf to start with?

If you want to implement skins for characters, I'm all for that. I'd even be tickled pink to change to a different race like you guys teased in the first alpha. I would gladly pay gold to be an elf. If you want to implement skins for mounts, that's fine too. Create new skins and don't implement old items. I think the line should be drawn at founder, recruiter, guild reward, arena master, and adventurers challenge items.

Some players have noted that collectors should be happy as their hordes of items will be worth a fortune with this update. I personally will not be happy at all. Mortified describes how I will feel. This won't affect just the new guys, but old ones as well. New recruiter "skins" will shoot up astronomically as they are consumed. I love collecting and can barely keep up with the market as is. Collecting is the biggest reason why I play this game. I love to introduce the new guys to collecting and helping them get started with their own hordes. If you ruin this for the new guys and force me to pay astronomical prices for "collectible" consumable skins, I'm sorry but I'm done with this game. It pains me to say that as I've supported you guys since the beginning. If you implement this update as planned, I will not support you through membership or gold anymore as I will stop playing. Please don't kill the one reason why I play this game. I beg you just this one time, change your minds.
      This is exactly my thoughts...

I did not support this game over 2 years and work hard to buy mount after mount for my personal collection to just have it all made redundant... The idea of skins is perfectly palatable to me if it doesn't ruin the current model of the game. Here we have an update that will irrevocably change the game and its economy. While on the one hand there is self interest, I have to ask what benefits does this change bring if not for people like myself? The poor F2P won't benefit, I could sell skins off for millions upon millions without caring but then I think about what an opportunity is being closed on so many. This is a market that is extremely fun for people to play in. Its' a form of pvp after all and it shouldn't be shut off like this.

Create new skins don't be lazy... just work on new skins... things that would sense and leave the current markets alone... I expected skins for housing to be the first thing to come, test out how players would treat the opportunity... I know for sure I'd pay for a skin/blueprint that gave me a different architectural style house maybe even a 2 story house... fucking hell I thought that was a clear opportunity to test out the market not skins for horses.
    • Ravenar wrote:

I realised that it seems to be the collectors that truly care about the health of the game. It is obvious when you think about it. The collection is only valuable if there are enough people who will want the things that they have.

This feature, if implemented the way it is now laid out, might end up hurting the game population. (as explained in posts above) Pre-F2P mounts are valuable enough already. Stop with this foolishness!

Easy Fix: Do not make the switch from mount -> "skin item" automatic. Instead you need to purchase a "skin item" at vanity store and the mount works as an ingredient. (+ gold price)

edit: Preferably a Pre-F2P skin should also be possible to convert back to mount. Just because, most of them are rare enough already (+other reasons).

Simple, elegant working solution.
      Making a convert back to mount could be exploitable. I buy a skin from Thetford with the idea of selling it more expensively in Caer, I consume it, travel to Caer, convert it back, and I travelled safely without the risk of being ganked... A solution would be to make a time limited conversions such as each skin can be converted back each 6 months or year or so... but one could still abuse it by doing it for all skins... So maybe a League of Legends system such as 3 convert backs / account for ever.