When does crafting skill actually have value?

• When does crafting skill actually have value?

I've got my gathering in a few primaries almost to the T6 learning points, thinking about finally going on a spree with the resources I've amassed and craft a bunch of things to build the skill trees I eventually want, but when I'm looking at what finished products actually sell for on the marketplace vs what the resources and it seems like completely unrefined resources are more valuable than almost any finished product when broken down, even all the way up to T6...

So I guess my question is - why is there even finished stuff on the market if the resources are more valuable, or is it just all being made by really high tier players with focus and somehow they're more resource-efficient? But I still can't make sense of that either - at T4 the raw resources for something as simple as dual daggers are worth like, 8x as much as the finished daggers.

Am I missing something? It just seems like it doesn't make any logical sense in crafting almost anything at any level, now obviously I didn't verify this for EVERYTHING, but even for a lot of the stuff popular in the current meta (that I also use myself, so I'd like to build that tree) like dual daggers, assassin's gear, etc.

Does crafting with focus REALLY give you that much of a resource return to make it economically feasible to craft for profit?
      1.23.40b patch UO Feluccian from Minoc, Pacifica.
    • TheArimatheus wrote:

I've got my gathering in a few primaries almost to the T6 learning points, thinking about finally going on a spree with the resources I've amassed and craft a bunch of things to build the skill trees I eventually want, but when I'm looking at what finished products actually sell for on the marketplace vs what the resources and it seems like completely unrefined resources are more valuable than almost any finished product when broken down, even all the way up to T6...

So I guess my question is - why is there even finished stuff on the market if the resources are more valuable, or is it just all being made by really high tier players with focus and somehow they're more resource-efficient? But I still can't make sense of that either - at T4 the raw resources for something as simple as dual daggers are worth like, 8x as much as the finished daggers.

Am I missing something? It just seems like it doesn't make any logical sense in crafting almost anything at any level, now obviously I didn't verify this for EVERYTHING, but even for a lot of the stuff popular in the current meta (that I also use myself, so I'd like to build that tree) like dual daggers, assassin's gear, etc.

Does crafting with focus REALLY give you that much of a resource return to make it economically feasible to craft for profit?
      1. If you use Crafting Focus + Laborers, you make a profit.
      2. If you use just Laborers, you break even (and gain fame/skill/spec).
      3. You could craft for the Black Market where the $$ amount is different.
      Discord: ChaosCircle#9506
    • Crafting focus plus RESOURCE laborers, or crafting laborers?

It seems to me like the only logical reason to have crafting skill is for the simple pride of it. The sensible option would be to just craft and study at the overall expense of the materials if that were the case.

Maybe I'll just hold off until I have a little more money to burn before I start messing around with crafting.
    • TheArimatheus wrote:

Crafting focus plus RESOURCE laborers, or crafting laborers?

It seems to me like the only logical reason to have crafting skill is for the simple pride of it. The sensible option would be to just craft and study at the overall expense of the materials if that were the case.

Maybe I'll just hold off until I have a little more money to burn before I start messing around with crafting.
      Crafting laborers.

Resource laborers are for gathering.
      Discord: ChaosCircle#9506
    • I haven't play AO long enough to speak deeply about the market... but I've been playing MMOs since the 80s and what seems to almost always ring true...

gather/craft if it is something you enjoy... I like knowing I can make my own gear... as I move up I know most of what I use I can just go grab the material and make.. I don't have to worry about markets going up or down or if what I want will be available.. etc.. It costs me time (doing something I enjoy), and a handful of silver at the crafting station... AND if I'm leveling crafting up or have excess materials I can sell resources and/or items for coin.. a market hawk will watch the market and know what to make and where to sell it... again this is part of the fun for some folks...

if you don't enjoy these type of activities than ya.. just sell raw material, or pvp, or pve, whatever... you can make coin in all of these... just do the one that is fun for you...
    • @MMOWarrior - that's basically been my playstyle too since back in the days of UO, that's why I mentioned daggers and leather.

I've primarily been gathering and doing the basic stuff to get the ball rolling but now that I'm generating income pretty consistently it's time to spend a few days in the dungeons bumping up combat skills to a sufficient degree and move out to the red and black zones now that I can affordably lose T4/5 gear on a regular basis; maybe guild up at some point. I'm really just riding the lag out at this point, especially not knowing much about the combat mechanics in the game.
    • same here.. in the current state of the game I can barely even get gathering in... hell farming is difficult!

I imagine a lot of folks in the same situation and playing it safe at the moment... if they are playing at all.. makes me wonder if we'll have a huge influx of items/materials once things are stabilized..
    • I really don't have too many issues tbh, but I live in the DFW, TX area and I'm willing to place a wager that I'm pretty close to a prime Albion data center.

But I've also been out gathering in really sparsely populated areas (like Bellevor and Haldon Tor during the right time, T4 with 10-20 players in the whole cluster) and running laps around the edges to avoid mobs. Once I get into combat the lag becomes more noticeable, but I'll mine Croker Hill all night around this time and I hit good nodes. :-/
    • MMOWarrior wrote:

I imagine a lot of folks in the same situation and playing it safe at the moment... if they are playing at all.. makes me wonder if we'll have a huge influx of items/materials once things are stabilized..
      That's why I'm throwing all of my resources up on the market now with "grouped" sell orders, one 5k T4 for 8% above market value, 3k T4 for 15% above and 1k for 20% above. (I'm talking about stone since I'm Martlock based but you can adjust for whatever, and I also adjust with regard to quantities and pricing for the ore and wood I gather out in Martlock's region)

That way you don't miss out too much on the major price spikes that might happen, but you can still sell at reasonable volume for a reasonable profit.

You can also do private sale to individuals/organizations and such in volume at a specified price, which is sometimes even more profitable if you can offer delivery services.

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheArimatheus ().