Update on ongoing connection/latency issues resulting from DDOS

• xurich wrote:

GODPURE wrote:

too bad you're not being DDOS'd... how about you quit lying now, thanks

it's amazing how an original launch meme is still valid in 2019 because you dont care about anything besides cutting costs and making money... Albion Offline

also kinda confused how Robin still has a job at SBI... there should literally never be server issues, YOU LITERALLY RESET THE SERVERS DAILY *facepalm*
    all characters on all accounts should be given 6months-1year of premium for compensation
    lol what an insufferable, demanding douchebag this guy is. Quit the game if you hate things so much? It's much easier to whine on the forums, isn't it?
    Thanks for the update, devs. Looking forward to seeing the solution you come up with!
    how do you eat food or drink any liquids with it always being so full?
    You still cannot pick up silver under a loot bag after 6 YEARS. #FireRobinHenkys
  • xurich wrote:

GODPURE wrote:

how do you eat food or drink any liquids with it always being so full?
    Whaaah whaaah I'm not getting 12 months free premium over 7 days of intermittent lag!! I'm so salty over something so minor whaaah
    What are you talking about? The obvious solution to this situation is to heavily limit their theoretical income for the next 12 months so that we can experience the true "albion is offline because SBI went bust after giving away 12 months of income" experience.
  • GODPURE wrote:

also how about you start giving people free island relocator every 30 days... this would be a great quality of life change for people who would like to change regions/guilds
    legit wouldn't mind the ability to move island location (I don't care if it costs gold tho--it probably should cost gold to discourage it). But all chests/items should need to be removed from the island so that people cant leverage different city prices to their advantage
  • ChristyCloud wrote:

Puppets wrote:

GeekyPirate wrote:

I know the development team is not the cause of these problems.
    So if the plumber doesn't repair the pipes and you have water in the house, isn't it his fault?
    This scenario is more like there's 10,000 people outside your house who really don't like your plumber
    Then when you get home on an evening you can't actually get into your house to see if the plumbing works - So you blame the plumber rather than the 10,000 people.

And that kids is how you really stretch a plumber analogy.
    Close but no cigar :D

This scenario is more like there's 10,000 people outside your house who really don't like the plumber because he is really bad at fixing pipes. Then when you get home on an evening you can't actually get into your house to see if the plumbing works. So you call the guy who built the house to complain, instead of the 10 000 people.
    Meanwhile the plumber is still really incompetent, but somehow left outside the whole conversation.

Hehe, cheers. I actually like yours better, but these are funny.
  • bospo wrote:

cluntesia wrote:

bospo wrote:

As I said before; solution is here.
    Yeah, but you'd be wrong. More money =/= better product. Also, I see this stupid narrative being pushed about SBI only caring about their profit in the short term, and not the profit/consumer confidence of Albion Online in a long time.Can I see where that was said?
    Check this.
    Still proves nothing except you're mind reading and adding snarky comments. Substance please.
  • Regarding "compensation," -- here are a few thoughts and ideas on possibilities. But factors need to be varied into compensation so that the "terrorists do not win."

Let's start with what is "fair" in an equitable sense but also feasible, so as to not put the company in the hole for much longer -- as one can imagine they already are in the hole as a result of these DDOS attacks.

Premium in the count of "month/s", for everyone that logged into the game during this DDOS time period is unlikely. It also would be a financial concession, essentially through coercion via the DDOS attacks.

Should a player that logged in once for 2 minutes get that 33cents/day value for 30 days? Does a player that logged in 2 hours every day get treated differently, in that they still only get that 33cents/day for 30 days?

Take the lower limit average of how long someone was logged in during a day. Offer them, say, only 1 day of Premium for that day. Take the median average of logon time of that day, 2 days of Premium. Upper limit average of play time might get 3 days.

These days would compound accordingly, and to treat weekend warriors the same as no-lifers, the players could redeem these accumulated Premium days one at a time. This gives more value to the compensation package, as players could choose to redeem those Premium days only on the days they intend to play for longer.

This helps sort who, on what day, would have likely been *legitimately* inconvenienced. As the logon time increases, there would logically be more possible instances of this occuring.

Also, people that didn't log on long enough to likely be affected would not get compensation, should not get compensation at all... As how can one be "compensated" for an inconvenience they weren't likely to experience personally?

Days an account did not log on at all, or not long enough, would not be counted.

This is probably the most fair methodology I can think of. Especially in light of the reality that behind all of this, the company was *victimized*. If, in the event, a broad compensation of Premium was given to the entirety of accounts that logged in at least once during this time period -- this could practically amount to "negotiating with terrorists." Why? Because the purpose of these DDOSes, I surmise, is for the company to incur significant financial losses. Compensation does also count as a financial loss. So I hope any "compensation" decisions are weighed carefully.

Remember -- it's imperative to NEVER *negotiate with terrorists*. Whether intentionally or *unintentionally*.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Torsitch: "Redeeming" idea added. Spelling error corrected. ().

• So you nagated urself. U suggest giving some premiums and yet speaking that give aways are bad because it generate lose of income which is important to make some investment for protection and reestablish things xD
    Im unable to say, which type of recompensation would be pleased by many, and yet didnt bring financial lose for SBI.
    It will be cool if SBI find out by them self what should be done in good way.
    Finally, If DDoS attackers would be in charge, under hummer of justice, then from thier pocket could be sponsored some recompensation for that - but it is so "if".

The post was edited 1 time, last by Qolkkalom ().

• Triky313 wrote:

I do not know where the game servers are hosted but how about Azure servers? Or are they too expensive?

You could also let the world run on different servers. I am still not sure if it is not a problem of the game.
    They currently run on dedicated physical servers. A move into any of the public cloud offerings would not be easy, fast or cheap.

On the other hand, the one world thing it's a core design call, changing that probably would be even harder than the proposed migration to public cloud.
    Have a look at some of David Salz presentations, have lots of information about their design and technologies in place.
  • cluntesia wrote:

bospo wrote:

cluntesia wrote:

bospo wrote:

As I said before; solution is here.
    Yeah, but you'd be wrong. More money =/= better product. Also, I see this stupid narrative being pushed about SBI only caring about their profit in the short term, and not the profit/consumer confidence of Albion Online in a long time.Can I see where that was said?
    Check this.
    Still proves nothing except you're mind reading and adding snarky comments. Substance please.
    The truth hurts fanboy. Deal with it.